Start by marking “Dead on Course: A Contemporary Horse Racing Mystery” as Want to Read:
Dead on Course: A Contemporary Horse Racing Mystery

Dead on Course: A Contemporary Horse Racing Mystery

(Harry Radcliffe #2)

A fast-paced mystery set in the cut-throat world of horse-racing: second in the new Harry Radcliffe series.

Back in the saddle and race riding again after weeks recuperating from a serious accident, champion jockey Harry Radcliffe reckons his life is back on course. That's before local gangster Jake Smith, newly released from gaol, makes contact. Knowing of Harry's succ
Published December 1st 2015 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dead on Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead on Course

Start your review of Dead on Course: A Contemporary Horse Racing Mystery
Clare O'Beara
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This thriller follows a jockey involved in more than racing. Britain is the setting. Rather more dead bodies are discovered by the same man than seems likely, but he has got himself mixed up with a few criminals in the previous book, which I had not read. I would say you can jump into the tale with this starting point, but readers of the previous book will probably get more out of it.

The characters are well drawn and distinctive, while fans of crime noir or Dick Francis's early books will find
Barbara
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horse
I enjoyed the second book. It felt a little smoother than the first, actually, even though I read them in reverse order. I'd recommend reading them in the correct order as the characters from the first are developed more in the second. His villain's character and motives are a little weak. If you enjoy Dick Francis, this series is a nice tribute with a similar style. In particular, I enjoy the British setting and phrases!
Nin
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was enjoying the series. Unfortunately, the MC reacting so nastily to a woman responding aggressively to his amorous advances whilst mooning over his wife who left him for another man (and was now pregnant with that man's baby!) killed the series for me.

Ricardo Verde
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read all 36 of Dick Francis’ books a decade or more ago, I was please to stumble across another Steeplechase jockey mystery!
Simple, and well written. A pleasant reprieve from years of non-fiction!
Chris Conley
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the mysteries. Love the characters. Wish Harry could get by without being battered!
Kate
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not too sure how I am liking this book. The plot is quite unbelievable. The premise that a jockey investigates a murder because an ex-con threatens to hurt an acquaintance of his isn't believable. Neither is the dialogue between them. Harry's ridiculous relationship with his wife (not ex-wife) is weird. I'll keep going, but not sure I'll bother with the 3rd book.
Suzanne
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
while not completely sold on this character or writer from the first book, I was willing to give it another go. first I must confess that Dick Francis is one of my all time favorite authors and I've read every one of his books multiple times. she manages to emulate several elements of the best of Francis (the race world interconnectedness, close friends who believe in the main character, threats (and actual) of bodily harm that do nothing to deter our hero) the wheels fell off the bus completely ...more
Helen
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you liked Dick Francis' books, you should enjoy this one. It's the same formulas as his earlier books - top jockey, stoically coping with horrendous falls in races and getting belted up at least a couple of times, but managing to solve crimes ahead of the police. Everywhere he goes, he stumbles on another clue - you need to suspend your disbelief in so many coincidences though.
Carol Giles
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and

This is the second book I have read by this author couldn't put it down until I had finished it well rounded plot with interesting characters and descriptions of life racing horses. Loved it when is the next one out!!!!
Liz
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Second book in a series, and I like how the characters are developing.
Anne, Unfinished Woman
Philip Mccauley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Harry's at it again mixed up in a murder investigation that he has been forced into, whilst back riding winners at the track.
Joanne
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Not Francis, but running in the same race. Not bad.
Doreen Sangaline
Jul 06, 2017
Janet Fryar
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dick Francis's Refusal (Sid Halley, #5)
  • Rank Outsiders.
  • Front Runner
  • The Syndicate Manager: A British horseracing thriller
  • Pulse
  • Gimcrack: A British horse racing thriller
  • Even Money
  • Hanley's Revenge
  • Black Deuce
  • Making Allowances.: A great racing thriller!
  • Shattered
  • The Third Degree (The Eddie Malloy Series)
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • Dick Francis's Gamble
  • A Glint Among the Bones (Danny Rawlings Mysteries #7)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders (A Woman of WWII Mystery #1)
  • A Silent Stabbing (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery #5)

Harry Radcliffe (4 books)
  • Dead Certainty: A contemporary horse racing mystery (A Harry Radcliffe Mystery)
  • Dead Reckoning: A contemporary horse racing mystery (A Harry Radcliffe Mystery Book 3)
  • Dead Heat