Start by marking “Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver Mystery, #10)

Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver #10)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  772 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Mild-Mannered forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver knows bones. That's why the Chief Inspector of the small French village of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac calls upon him when a local dog emerges from a nearby cave carrying parts of a not-all-that-long-ago-interred human skeleton. Les Eyzies is the home of the prestigious Institut de Prehistoire, where eminent scientists study and ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by William Morrow & Company (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Dance

Debbie
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great forensic anthopoligist mystery. The main character (Gideon Oliver) is represented as someone who I think I'd really like. I know it's shallow of me, but if I don't even like the main character, I rarely like the book. The science side appeals to my logical nature, and the plot is well written. The descriptions of the localities is great, and it's clear the writer has been there, which adds depth to the writing. It's not like so many books that could have taken place anywhere in the world ...more
Cindy
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, audiobook, cozy
Gideon Oliver is planning a nice European vacation/working trip with his wife when a friend asks him to stop by and give his opinion on a skeleton found in a cave in France. Gideon agrees and is soon involved with a bunch of colleagues who have been tangled up in a hoax involving Neatherthal man. The discovery of the body is soon followed by an attack on Gideon himself, and he realizes that the murderer must be someone he knows.

I liked the mystery part of it. I even liked the forensic part of it
Ellen
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Skeleton Dance" by Aaron Elkins.

This was my first Gideon Oliver mystery and I enjoyed it all the way through. Gideon and his wife travel to France to identify the skeletal remains of a long deceased person possibly prehistoric since this is the same area where fossils have been found. But what exactly is it that Gideon finds about this skeleton that has turned the discovery around?

This book was interesting all the way through and having just read my first Gideon Oliver book I find I like him. F
Susan
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, tbr-list
Gideon and Julie Oliver head to France to investigate some mysterious bones that surfaced in Les Eyzies, a hot spot for research into prehistoric man with the usual resident assortment of quirky anthropologists and other scientific suspects. The plot was clever but too complicated for belief.
Droid16
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Aaron Elkins Gideon Oliver series of mysteries. I remember when Lou Gossett Junior was tapped to play his character on the Saturday Mystery Movies that included Columbo, McCloud and McMillan and Wife in their fold. Gideon is not a detective in the traditional sense, but had earned the nickname The Skeleton Detective due to the number of cases he has helped solve as a forensic anthropologist. My reasons for enjoying this book and series is that they dig in to the science as much as the mur ...more
Barbra
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a challenge getting through the technical parts of the story, but if you hang in there you will be rewarded with some strange goings on within the scientific community.
Matt
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the Olivers prepare for a European quasi-vacation, tragedy strikes in France and Gideon is summoned to change his itinerary. Bones turn up and his expertise is sought to help solve the case. Interestingly enough, all the suspects are a group of archeologists he planned on visiting as part of his book research, later in the vacation. Gideon and Julie head for France, where things begin to unravel and a series of events leaves Gideon flat on his back and others murdered and decomposing. With th ...more
Cat.
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Another in the series about Gideon Oliver. This time he's in France working on a book on weird forensic finds and hoaxes and is asked by the local police to look into a skeleton they have just uncovered. Skeletons in caves are relatively common in the area--it's where Cro-Magnon was first found--but this one is a little too recent and a little too complicated for the comfort of the police.

Of course, within hours of his first look at the case, he is whacked over the head and the skeleton in quest
Kamas Kirian
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And another excellent installment in the Gideon Oliver series. Dr. Elkins has certainly gotten better at story telling over the years. The pacing was superb, and I just love all the information about Cro-Magnon man. One of the things about the study of hominid evolution though is how fast it changes. By the time you read an article in a journal it's already out of date.

The characters were pretty good, if not all that in depth. They were all likable. There's no John Lau in this one, but Julie pla
Gloria Mccracken
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Professor Gideon Fell is doing research in Europe for a book he's writing and combining it with an extended vacation with his wife, Julie. However, their itinerary is altered before the trip even begins when a decidedly more modern body is discovered in a cave where a hoax involving Neanderthals had been perpetrated a few years before. The local authorities call in The Skeleton Doctor (a name bestowed on Dr. Fell by the popular press which he loathes) to offer his particular expertise in forensi ...more
Sandy Weir
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gideon Oliver is back in France and with Julie this time.. Meets up with Joly (quite a well defined character of interest). Seems they are really taking advantage of the best food and drinks.. I never found suck great little places (maybe too close to the tourist routes). Pleasure to read and I was surprised at the outcome (don't peak).
Mysteryfan
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Another Gideon Oliver mystery. This one has to do with Neanderthals, Cro-Magnons, and scientific shenanigans. I learned that cowboy bones show distinctive impact patterns. In an odd coincidence, a couple of sites mentioned in the the Bill Bryson book I just read are integral to the plot here. I like it when and author does his homework.
Sandra Strange
I really enjoy this series. This one's set in a French area noted for Neanderthal remains, so the book includes the fight between advocates of Cro Mag non and Neanderthal as the closest relation to man. I enjoy the sympathetic characters and positive overall view, despite the mystery (which shows the most negative of human behaviors).
Karen
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction, mystery
I think it would have been better to read this on paper than listen to it, as the name of the wife and the name of the police inspector were so similar as to be confusing when they were both in the same conversation. There were a few funny lines and no characters I wanted to throttle, so I’ll probably look for more in this series.
Judy
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Easy reading intelligent mystery. It takes place in the hills of France where bones of dinosaurs and early man can be found. When a dog starts showing up with bones, the mystery begins--new murder or million year old death.Likable characters.
Jackie
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever...old-school mystery featuring British characters set in rural France. Nice change of pace :)
Anne girl
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun-gonna read more in the series
Katharine Ott
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Skeleton Dance" - written by Aaron Elkins and published in 2000 by William Morrow & Co. A so-so Gideon Oliver mystery.
Carrie
Jul 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too many French words and moved too slow.
Pat
Gideon Oliver
Deb
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Gideon and Julie travel to France and help solve both a murder and a mystery ... the latter being a hoax designed to prove that Neanderthals were actually closer to humans than apes. Good read.
L
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, mercifully nongraphic autopsy scenes. Lots of French food descriptions taking the place of clues, so we can't guess the killer(s) and motive(s). Would be a light vac/beach read.
Susan
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Plot a bit predictable.
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
8/10/2004
Michael Rhode
Perfectly pleasant mystery with paleoanthropology overtones.
Andy Plonka
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Elkins work. There is a lot of information packed into a slim mystery and more than a dash of humor. Anthropologists that take themselves seriously should avoid this one
Patricia
Setting in France interesting, characters interesting, although their depiction could use more depth. Background of paleo-archaeology appealing. Will read more of this series.
Ruthanne
Fun and a fast read. I like the characters so I enjoyed the whole series.
Dina
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2001
A lot of fun once I got into it. Interesting info about early man.
Marvel
Didn't finish this one - it was ok, but I wasn't getting into it and quit after about 40 pages.
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Monet Talks (Den of Antiquity, #12)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Echoes
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more
More about Aaron Elkins...

Gideon Oliver (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)