Start by marking “Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love” as Want to Read:
Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love

Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love

When all seems lost, where can hope be found?

Katherine and Jay married right after college and sought adventure far from home in Los Angeles, CA. As they pursued their dreams, they planted their lives in the city and in their church community. Their son, James, came along unexpectedly in the fall of 2007, and just 6 months later, everything changed in a moment for this you
Published April 26th 2016 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Hope Heals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Heals

Start your review of Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love
Adam
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-life
As a single man, I didn't dive into this work of non-fiction expecting much more than a self-help guide to marriage, but that quickly changed. What begins as a fairy tale life for two twenty-somethings in Malibu, California, takes a devastating turn. The cause? A near-fatal brain aneurysm for young mother Katherine Wolf. Hope Heals is the story of a woman facing overwhelming obstacles early on in motherhood and marriage, of a man honoring his commitment to his wife and his God when many might re ...more
Noël Ingram
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I first heard of Katherine and Jay's story when they came to speak at my church. I was amazed by the way they partnered in telling of how Katherine's brain injury had shaped their adult lives and eagerly bought a copy of their book after the service in a desire to know more about their journey. Their story is powerful and unique, but the telling of it in this work often feels preachy and inauthentic. The level of detail provided in the description of Katherine's injury and ultimate recovery is w ...more
Joy
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, please read this book. What a beautiful, heart-wrenching, perspective-giving book. So good.
Briana Almengor
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have felt placed into a different kind of reality than most others, the reality that is marked by suffering and struggle. And I needed to read a book from someone, about someone who “got it.” Katherine and Jay Wolfe get it. They experienced the unexpected & painful parts of life in their mid -twenties, just a couple years after being married and 6 months after having their first baby. Katherine had a stroke that should have killed her. What is remarkable about this story is not just that she l ...more
Grace Thornton
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring, challenging look at how God loves and comforts us in the midst of our suffering and how He is glorified in the way we walk through our pain. Thank you, Jay and Katherine, for sharing your story.
Rachel Lundy
I greatly enjoyed reading Hope Heals by Jay and Katherine Wolf. In this book they tell the story of their marriage, Katherine's stroke as a young wife and mom, and the years of rehab that followed. It is a story of love, suffering, commitment, and hope.

Jay and Katherine were a young married couple living in California and pursuing their dreams. Jay was weeks away from graduating from law school, Katherine was a model with a promising career, and they had a 6 month old baby. But life as they knew
Michelle Duncan
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will be in my top five this year. I could not put it down and I didn't want it to end. Katherine and Jay have such a unique voice and their honesty is so raw and tangible. This book was such a life changing blessing to me. Thank you!
Amy Kannel
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, christianity, own
I first heard Katherine Wolf speak at IF:Gathering back in March and found her story so compelling. This book was a Kindle deal recently so I snapped it up, and I'm glad I did. It's a powerful, inspiring story of fighting for hope and joy and trusting God in the midst of tremendous suffering.
S.G. Willoughby
I'm not sure I can unemotionally review this book. Hope Heals touched me in so many ways. Most of them painful to be honest. It just hit too close to home, and many a night it was this book that accompanied the crying myself to sleep thing I've been doing the past few months as I grieve what my chronic illness has stolen from me and attempt to heal.

Jay and Katherine Wolf were just so honest and open. While because of my own struggles that hurt deeply, I am also so thankful for how candid and hon
Rachel
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
I loved this book. Jay and Katherine are refreshingly honest in their description of all that they’ve gone through since having their worlds turned upside down with an unexpected brain injury ten years ago. I finished this book feeling super encouraged and comforted by the way that they refuse to gloss over the pain and suffering that they’ve been through, while also refusing to forget the God who brought them through it all. Praise God for the healing and restoration He has brought to every par ...more
Jess Villie
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had my attention the entire time! Their story is powerful and gripping as both her and her husband each take chapters to share about their journey in trusting God through suffering.
Kara
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story... it was beautifully written and so inspiring and encouraging... but not in the fluffy sense. This was a raw and authentic, hope-filled story of true suffering.
Trinity Rose
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This is a amazing true story of a woman’s fight and struggle after suffering a massive brain stem stroke without warning. It is also the story of her husband how he stayed with her and never left her side.
Katherine and Jay were very young and in love. They just had their first child. He was only 6 months old when the stroke hit Katherine. She was on life support in ICU for 40 days and 2 years in full-time brain rehab. Eight years later they wrote this book and have a ministry called Hope Heals.
Lacie
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book & could not put it down. At times it's hard to read: raw, real, emotional. The suffering this young family experienced is hard to process and will leave a lump in your throat while you read. But like all testimonies rooted in our Savior--there is purpose in the pain. Katherine & Jay are clear: Christ alone is the One who heals and He is an anchor in the suffering.

Read this book because you have also experienced suffering. Read this book because you've no
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a testimony from a couple who have tread a very painful path through suffering. Their words are honest and vulnerable as they share how medical crisis and life in the aftermath impacted their view of life and their understanding of the word healing. In gain and loss "we have this hope as an anchor for our soul, firm and secure (Hebrews 6:19)." Only through Christ.
Emily
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so so good. Katherine and Jay (the authors) was just about my and my husband’s ages when their world turned upside down. If some tragedy befalls me or someone In my family, I’m glad to have read this first and know that not all is lost. As tragic as her stroke was, their story fills me with hope for their future.such and encouraging read.
Amara Bratcher
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Authentic story of hope

Beautiful, poignant story that weaves the real elements of disappointment and brokenness with the call of Christians to walk in a manner worthy of the gospel.
Cherish
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story about a stroke survivor and her husband. It helped me understand a little more about what my mom likely felt after her own massive stroke. Overall, inspiring!
Nicole Fredericks
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down- this story was so moving, so inspiring, so unbelievable. This book changed me.
Lauren Ewing
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have listened to Katherine Wolf speak a few times and loved reading her and Jay's story of hope and redemption..."The call to give thanks, not at the end, but in the midst, began to reverberate inside us. We may never arrive at the ending we hoped for, so if we waited until then to celebrate all that had been given to us, that celebration might never come at all..."All shall work together for good, everything is needful that He sends; nothing can be needful that He withholds.""
Tarek
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing encouraging story

I highly recommend this book. If you haven’t walked through difficult circumstances yet it is something we all must deal with. The transparency and grace with which this couple shares their story is so encouraging. Thank you both.
Kim
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book....I had started it and sorta forgot about it....but so glad I picked it up and read it! What a humbling, true story of true faith and commitment. I’d love to see their story on the big screen!
Clayton Turner
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
“Perhaps some detours aren’t detours at all. Perhaps they are actually the path.” ~ Katherine & Jay Wolf, Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love ...more
Danielle Williamson
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an apt memoir about the tender hand of God in the suffering of his children. Highly recommend.
Alivia  Henderson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was uplifting and inspiring. I love the cross p.o.v. between Jay and Katherine. It adds the different sides to every page-turning event in this book. Can't wait for the next one!
Amy Webb
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... I’m wrecked. Everyone should read this.
Christy Mabs
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Couldn’t put it down!
Kristie Whisnant
Beautiful, challenging, heart-changing book!

I devoured this book as fast as my 3 young kids would allow. At the same time I wanted to read it slowly so I could digest it all because this book is rife with truths learned from unimaginable suffering!
Rachel Kopec Barkley
A must-read for anyone going through suffering or is wondering “why does God allow suffering?”

Narrated by husband and wife and beautifully written. I couldn’t put it down!
Rachel B

I heard Katherine speak at IF:Gathering 2016 and she was one of the few speakers I actually liked - she was so funny! I picked this up to hear more of her story, figuring she'd bring her humor into this, also. She didn't.

The book isn't poorly written, but it was a fairly dry memoir compared to others I've read. It focused on what happened, and while Jay and Katherine's emotions were mentioned here and there, the readers were never given a chance to really sit with them and soak in the s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Wild in the Hollow: On Chasing Desire and Finding the Broken Way Home
  • Spoken For: Embracing Who You Are and Whose You Are
  • The Book of the Courtesans: A Catalogue of Their Virtues
  • Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole
  • The Seven Longest Yards: Our Love Story of Pushing the Limits while Leaning on Each Other
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  • Choosing to SEE
  • Brave Moms, Brave Kids: A Battle Plan for Raising Heroes
  • Girl, Taken: A True Story of Abduction, Captivity and Survival
  • Through the Eyes of a Lion: Facing Impossible Pain, Finding Incredible Power
  • Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More—Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist
Katherine & Jay Wolf are parents, artists, communicators, and survivors. After meeting in college, they got married and moved to Los Angeles to pursue law school for Jay and the entertainment industry for Katherine. Their son James was born in 2007 and six months later, Katherine’s life nearly ended with a catastrophic stroke. Miraculously, she survived and continues her recovery to this day. Kath ...more

News & Interviews

“What has happened to me is extreme; however, it is not that different from what everyone deals with. I am a sort of microcosm for what we all feel. I can barely walk, even with a cane, but who feels free even if they can? My face is paralyzed, but who feels beautiful even when they look normal? I have no coordination in my right hand, so I can’t hold things, even my child, but who feels like a competent parent even if all their faculties are intact? For months I could not eat, and even today I have difficulty swallowing, but who feels fully satisfied even if they can enjoy every delectable treat they desire? I am tired almost all the time now, but who always feels energized to engage fully in their life? My voice is messed up, but who feels understood even if they can speak plainly? I have double vision, but who sees everything clearly even if they can see normally? My future is uncertain, but whose isn’t? So” 4 likes
“Don’t wait to celebrate the life you have been given, even if it looks different from the one you thought you would have.” 3 likes