Start by marking “14 Days to Die” as Want to Read:

14 Days to Die

To what extent would you go to avenge your husband's infidelity?

Stay-at-home mom Sarah Johnson has the perfect family—a handsome, hardworking husband and two healthy and beautiful children. At least, that’s what she’s been telling herself for years. After the tragedies in her youth, Sarah deemed living a lie easier than dwelling on the past and facing her everyday failure
Published January 13th 2016

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jan 13, 2016
    TERRIFYING AND DARKLY FUNNY. 'The War of the Roses' meets 'Gone Girl'.
    How well do we really know the people close to us, the ones we love and come ho

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 1540 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 13 - May 21, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and GB

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about 14 Days to Die, please sign up.

A.B. Whelan Dear Tanvir, the expected publication day is January 13th. After that, you'll be able to purchase this book at big online bookstores. However, I give…moreDear Tanvir, the expected publication day is January 13th. After that, you'll be able to purchase this book at big online bookstores. However, I give away finished review copies in eBook formats. If you would like to read and review '14 Days to Die' before its release, then please message me your email address.
    Best wishes,
    Andrea (less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    Dec 10, 2015 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it really liked it
    Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Michelle Only Wants to Read
    Shelves: netgalley, read-2015
    Sarah has a "perfect" life. Just moving back to the states from Italy with her handsome husband and kids they both adore, she is living a typical suburb mom life. Picking up after her family, doing things with the kids, taking care of her handsome husband. (bleck)
    I analyze his outfit, the way he hunches over his plate, his hair-shaved and combed to the side like the soccer star Christiano Ronaldo's.

Palm Springs commercial photography

Then she gets a phone call. A guy with an accent calls and tells her that her husband has hired
    Deanna
    Dec 01, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it
    4.5 Stars

Sarah Johnson is a stay at home mom who wants everyone to think she has been happily married for over 14 years. She has the perfect family. She's even convinced herself of this over the years. However, a phone call changes all of that and Sarah is forced to face up to everything she's been denying. Not only is her husband being unfaithful but he wants her dead and has hired a hit-man to carry out the plan to end her life. But this hit-man tells Sarah that he's not keen on killing women.
    Carol
    Dec 30, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
    Wham! Bam! What a "crazy" ride!

The countdown begins with the first chapter when Sarah receives a threatening and enlightening call about her cheating scumbag of a husband who wants her dead and must now find a way to pay $100k to a hit-man or die! As for Mike, well payback really is a bitch as the Mrs. truly is quite creative in her revengeful ways. (view spoiler)

Despite a couple dubious plot issues and a bit of futile foolishness here and there, this mystery

Sue
    14 DAYS TO DIE by A.B. Whelan is a debut psychological gripping thriller with many twists and turns that keeps you guessing until the very last page. And I never guessed the brilliant ending! I loved this book!

Sarah Johnson has the perfect package, a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. Well not so perfect…the marriage wasn’t bad but not great. Her husband, Mike is a bully and doesn’t handle frustration well. And for that his wife is on the receiving line for emotional abuse and terror.
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

“Is it possible that we all have darkness within us; only some of us never have a chance to act upon it while others are left with no choice?”

I read this book over a month ago, but never got around to reviewing it since I suck. I’m also currently dealing with a situation at work that looks like this . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Which has left me feeling a bit like this . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

(Hence today's featured coffee mug.)

So you’re gonna get what you get
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Dec 29, 2015 Chelsea Humphrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    I'd like to thank Netgalley and the author for my copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review.

Wow! I feel lucky to have found another great debut in such a short period of time. This book came highly recommended from a few Goodreads friends and it did not disappoint.

Sarah Johnson is a stay at home mom raising 2 children with a seemingly perfect life to the outsider. After 14 years of marriage however, she receives a call one evening from a hit man who has been hired by her husba
    Maureen
    Jan 20, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Most psychological thrillers dig their way into your psyche bit by bit, but with this opening paragraph " It was a fine winter day that eighth of February when I decided to kill my husband" my psyche was well and truly dug!
    Sarah's world begins to unravel when she receives a phone call from a man with a heavy foreign accent, telling her that her husband Mike has put a price on her head. She is given 14 days to come up with a counter offer or die. As the days tick away, Sarah discovers many things
    Stephanie
    Creatively suspenseful tale of a marriage gone bad....

I happened upon a group thread last night reminding members that this book is on sale on Amazon .... I had seen some great reviews from my GR friends, but didn't realize that the book was out. Promptly picked it up and was not able to put it down!! Yes, I enjoyed it that much!

The book starts out with a bang....
    It was a fine winter day that eighth of February when I decided to kill my husband. When I come to think about it, I mean really thin
    Sue1958
    This may be called 14 DAYS TO DIE but it only took me 1 and 1/2 days to read it. I was hooked from beginning to end.

I read at the back of this book in the Acknowledgments that this author this author A. B. Whelan has other books written, I hadn't seen them due to her writing a different genre, this I understand is her first Thriller/Crime.
    I definitely hope it won't be her last!
    In my humble opinion, I have read lots of Thrillers from each type from psychological to mystery, from the daft to th
    Jan
    Dec 01, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, suspense
    Deliciously fun suspense/mystery that will leave you reeling, all in under 225 pages!!

Sarah Johnson is a happily married woman with two loving children. Perfect house, perfect life. All until the phone call that brings her perfect world crashing down around her. Her husband has hired someone to kill her for $50K, but the killer has an offer-he will kill her husband instead, for double the price. She has 2 weeks to come up with the money...

A lot can happen in two weeks, which is intricately play
    Zoeytron
    Dec 28, 2015 Zoeytron rated it liked it
    Sarah Johnson's comfy world turns ugly when she receives a telephone call from a man telling her that her husband, Mike, has paid him to kill her. The man gives her an "out", but only if she can double the contract amount within 14 days.

Good stuff with the premise and the pacing. The ending was killer. Keep your friends close and your toothbrush closer, because paybacks can be hell.
    Jilly
    Feb 19, 2016 Jilly rated it it was ok
    Uggh! I just want the hit man to shoot me in the head after reading this book. It is sooooo boring and depressing!

First off, we have the world's biggest dumbass as our main character. Sarah gets a phone call from some guy claiming to be a hit-man and tells her that her husband has hired him to kill her. He gives her 14 days to come up with 100 grand to stop this thing. We get to count-down the days in this book, and believe me, they are the longest days ever. It's like a day getting a root canal
    Linda Strong
    Nov 24, 2015 Linda Strong rated it really liked it

Meet Sarah Johnson ... wife of Mike, mother to two young children, a housewife, who knows her life isn't perfect, but considering she's been married 14 years, it's an okay marriage.

But today is the day she decides to kill her husband. Before you judge her too harshly, there are things the reader needs to know. Firstly, she receives a phone call from a stranger, one with an Italian accent. He informs her that he is a hit man. Her husband has hired him to kill her. He tells her make me a better of
    A.B. Whelan
    Sep 09, 2015 A.B. Whelan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

description

14 Days to Die is now available on Netgalley: https://s2.netgalley.com/catalog/book...

EXCERPT:

It was a fine winter day that eighth of February when I decided to kill my husband. When I come to think of it, I mean really think of it, it wasn’t the first time I had considered erasing him from the face of the Earth. But let’s be honest here; what wife, after a day of emotional abuse, hasn’t found solace in the thought of getting rid of her husband? Sometimes when Mike came to bed drunk, yelling at
    Jonetta
    Dec 29, 2015 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Jonetta by: Deanna
    Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Sarah Johnson's supposedly idyllic world crashed around her the day she received a mysterious call from her hired assassin who offers her a counter deal: double what her husband agreed to pay him to kill her and he'll drop the assignment. She's got 14 days to come up with the money. What follows next is her attempt to come to terms with her imminent demise.

This was an interesting story with an unusual premise, told in Sarah's voice so we get to see the facts
    Lee
    Nov 30, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it
    This is an exciting, intriguing and tension gripping thriller. There are so many long reviews that I will just say that Karma can be a bitch.
    How well do we really know the people close to us, the ones we love and come home to every night feeling secure in the knowledge that we are living a wonderful life? What happens when doubt, fear and disbelief become part of our every day lives? Who can you trust when you are not even sure of the consequences of your own actions. Lots of twists, turns and
    Linda O'Donnell
    Jan 22, 2016 Linda O'Donnell rated it really liked it
    Deceit and dastardly deals.......And bad, bad Karma crouched on a taunt moral slingshot. Take aim. It's comin' for you!

A.B. Whelan's 14 Days to Die hovers around the ancient adage of what one puts out into the universe will, eventually, find its way home. And home is in the quaint suburbs of Southern California on a typical cul-de-sac with two lively children, squawking chickens, and a passive dog. Whelan injects the day-to-day life of middle America with bills, lack of money, school and backpac
    Gary
    Jan 15, 2016 Gary rated it liked it
    A debut Thriller novel for author AB Whelan that I mostly enjoyed and for some time felt I was going to mark higher only for the finale let it down. in my opinion. 3 stars doesn't really do it justice as it was better than that, but not quite a 4 star for me. I really do thing there needs to be more stars to choose from.

A fast paced novel that is an easy read and keeps you wanting to read more. A psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns and a large dose of tension. The novel keeps yo
    Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
    3 love-hate stars

As weird as it sounds, 14 Days to Die is one of my 2016 favourite reads and, at the same time, one of my least favourite books. It's very confusing.

Long story short, Sarah (housewife and mother of two) gets a lovely call from a stranger. He informs her that her husband hired him to kill her and she has two weeks to double the sum her better half is willing to pay. She agrees and decides to kill him first.

First of all, the things I loved about the book:
    *Sarah's transition from a
    Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡
    **** 4.5 "You Reap What You Sow" Stars ****

"It was a fine winter day that eighth of February when I decided to kill my husband."

photo SARAH_zpsosrf1ug5.jpg

"I need my old friend, madness, if I want To execute such an unforgivable sin, or I will fail."

Sarah Johnson thought things were good. She has a handsome husband, great kids, fabulous house, the "perfect" everything. So it seems. What everyone doesn't see is how her husband treats her. She is shadow of her former self. After letting go of a wonderful job that earned
    Michelle Only Wants to Read
    Whoa...I was not prepared for this.

This is a gripping thriller full of twists and turns. As established in the book’s blurb, Sarah is contacted by a stranger who lets her know her husband has asked him to kill her. If she strikes a deal with him, he will spare her life. She’s got 14 days to come up with the money.

Each chapter is structured as a day in the countdown to Sarah’s fate. As the story moves forward, we get a glance at her marriage, her daily routines, and her insights about the choic
    Sara
    Sarah Johnson's husband is planning to kill her. How does she know this? The assassin has called and offered her a way out of that end if she can pay him $50,000 (which she does not have). He has given her 14 days to come up with the money or die...and this book is about those 14 days and how Sarah deals with this situation and her (once considered perfect) husband.

Sometimes you just need to take a break and read something that is fun and has nothing to say beyond the telling of a good story. Th
    Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
    This was how I was feeling about this book right up to the beginning of the end...

description

98% of this book was a 5 star read for me. I enjoyed Sarah's inner musings, they made me snicker out loud on more than one occasion. The stuff she did to Mike was nasty, but funny. The plot flowed nicely and kept me turning the pages. Then we got to the ending and I was left underwhelmed. It seemed rushed and confusing. With something thrown in about one of the characters that left me perplexed as to why it was eve
    Angel Erin
    Jan 02, 2016 Angel Erin rated it really liked it

(3.5 Stars)

Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review an ebook copy of 14 Days To Die By: A.B. Whelan.

I have been looking forward to reading 14 Days To Die ever since I saw the summary for it on Goodreads. I am happy to say that I wasn't disappointed! I gave this one 3.5 stars, but it definitely deserves to be rounded up to 4 stars and not down to 3 stars based on enjoyment alone.

14 Days To Die is about a stay at home mom named Sarah who rec
    Holly
    Jan 26, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, 2016
    *4.5 stars

Surprisingly, this was really good.....why I'm surprised is a mystery. Guess I just wasn't expecting much. I'm glad this book proved me wrong. It started off right away with a hit on Sarah and the chapters were divided on how many days she had left. Even though, this was a psychological thriller, at times I actually found this to be humorous. Not sure if the author meant it to be but I found myself chuckling quite a bit at the thoughts Sarah was having. So either way, I enjoyed it. I t
    Purvi Petal
    Dec 29, 2015 Purvi Petal rated it it was amazing
    Breaking News! A Book Blast for 14 Days to Die by A. B. Whelan has been set up! Check out the details here ~

Meanwhile...

Hello!
    Who's calling?
    Death..

The not-by-chance discovery of her husband's intentions to have her murdered are the beginning of a true evaluation of Sarah's apparently happy marriage with her husband. Concluding the revelations to be just the tip of the iceberg, the scales are tipped in favor of Sarah hating her husband more and more by ev
    Carlene(Inspired)
    Many thanks to Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
    You can see more of my reviews on my blog, Carlene Inspired.

Sarah's life looks perfect from the outside; just returning to the states from living in Italy, her handsome husband and her have 2 children, a beautiful home, and live in a nice neighborhood. The inside isn't as pretty as everyone thinks, while Sarah's husband is driving around in a Porsche, he's tearing her to shreds for spending any money and not having a
    Samantha Curtis
    Nov 14, 2015 Samantha Curtis rated it it was amazing
    What a brilliant book. I am annoyed that it took me so long to read this book but with life being so busy right now it couldnt be helped.

This booked had my gripped from page 1. You meet Sarah, a mother of 2, a doting wife that does everything for her family. You would think she has the perfect family and life, a nice house, cars and nice things. Then things turn when sarah gets a phone call from a man with a foreign accent claiming that her husband as put a hit on her to be killed. The man give
    Joanne Robertson
    Dec 21, 2015 Joanne Robertson rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    If you are after an adrenaline rush and a rollercoaster of a read then look no further than this intriguing thriller, the first by YA writer A.B.Whelan. This book is so unlike anything else I have read recently and it was a real treat for me to follow a plot that constantly surprised me with its twist and turns. It was a modern day War of The Roses crossed with Mr and Mrs Smith!
    Mike and Sarah Johnson have been married 14 years and have 2 children. They have recently moved back to the States from
    Debbie Krenzer
    Nov 23, 2015 Debbie Krenzer rated it really liked it
    This was a really good book with a very ironic ending. There was a little overkill with the wife going on about how many days she had left to live. However, I guess if I were in that situation, it would be all that I could think about as well.

I found myself speeding through the pages as I really wanted to know what Sarah would do. The discoveries she kept making definitely had my mind made up. The ending though was a total surprise. Undeniably a book to read.

Thanks to inMotion Capital for approv
    • Beside Myself
    • Wonderland
    • The Boy in the Woods
    • The Stepmother
    • Captive
    • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
    • My Husband's Son
    • Deadly Messengers
    • River Road
    • The Drowning Girls
    • Swerve
    A. B. WHELAN writes young-adult science-fiction and fantasy. She is the author of the Fields of Elysium series. She lives in sunny California with her husband and two children.
    14 Days to Die is her first thriller.

Facebook author page
    Facebook Fields of Elysium Saga page
    Facebook 14 Days to Die page

More about A.B. Whelan...