Start by marking “The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5

The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5

(Brothers Sinister #0.5-4.5)

This is the complete boxed set of Courtney Milan’s acclaimed Brothers Sinister Series – four full length books, three novellas – together, almost half a million words.

The Governess Affair

Miss Serena Barton intends to hold the petty, selfish duke who had her sacked responsible for his crimes. But the man who handles all the duke's dirty business has been ordered to get rid
Published September 15th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Sinister

Start your review of The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5
Natasha
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in book 5 of 7 and unless things really go down hill, I'm giving this a 5. Easily the best$9.99 I've spent on my kindle. So far we've got lots of ladies with agency and smarts, flawed individuals, a man who isn't good at sex on his wedding night and the wife fixes it, workers rights, voting rights, best friends to lovers, secret women scientists breaking all kinds of new ground.

I mean, whatever. The world's shit but this is great. If one of the two remaining books has a fake marriage, I plan
Ekollon
I'm pretty sure I read the entire series from the library, and I enjoyed it massively and it's on sale right now (6/4/2019! It went on sale a few days ago, the sale won't last long, get it now if you want it!). I'm not going to review the group because I reviewed them individually.
Chi
Jun 01, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The set was available on kobo/nook for AUD3.99. I couldn't pass it up. And it was also a good excuse as any to read over them again. :)

The Governess Affair: 5 stars

The Duchess War: 4 stars

A Kiss for Midwinter: 5 stars

The Heiress Effect: 5 stars

The Countess Conspiracy: 4 stars

Brianna
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I already individually reviewed each of the books in this series. But since the boxset is how I bought and read them all, I thought it'd be nice to give my overall impression of the series. I'll link each of the reviews down below.

When I heard people talk about Courtney Milan, it was always this series. I heard about her unique heroines, and great historical settings. I had previously read the first Carhart novel, and liked it well enough. But when I saw that this series was in a boxset and on
ReadWithE
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Liked some, loved some, wasn't sure about one... overall, I'm a fan! My fave: The Heiress Effect. Literally LOL'd.
Kim Marques
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Romances, Sci Fi, and Fantasy are what's getting me through this pandemic. Escapist literature all the way.
Debbie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: woc-authors
This review is for the series as a whole. I really enjoyed reading these interesting, feminist heroines. (If you don't read my entire review, be sure you always read Milan's Author Notes.)

I did, however, find the books rather unrealistic at first. It did not detract from my enjoyment, I have absolutely no problems with a 21st century anachronistic characters in a historical romance novel, but I did find it unrealistic that all the men and all the families would be so enlightened and supportive.
Lexxi Kitty
Most of the historical fiction I’ve read, at least the ones that are also historical romances, have tended to be set in the Regency period, are roughly around that period of time. This series here, though, covers a good chunk of the Victorian age – the period of time when Queen Victoria sat on the British throne.

The first part of this series, a prequel short story, starts in 1835. Queen Victoria’s reign started two years later in 1837. The last book in this series takes place in 1882. Queen Vict
Judy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Bear with me for a minute.

The New York Times recently ran an article called "How One Harasser Can Rob a Generation of Women: Closed Opportunities, dwindling role models, roads not taken." https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/us.... It mentions, among other Me Too moments, an accusation of sexual harassment against Judge Alex Kozinski [who has now resigned] by Heidi Bond, one of his clerks.
An excerpt, "I remember Heidi Bond. While she was in law school at the University of Michigan she wrote a bl
S.M.
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tons of fun. My favorite was The Countess Conspiracy (I loved that one!), but they were all great and every book was special in its own way--A Kiss for Midwinter talks about the frankness and necessity of sex ed., The Heiress Effect was about learning to not care what the rest of the world thinks about you, etc.

The only one I wish I'd skipped was The Heiress Effect. I really admired the heroine, but the love interest was kind of a dick and basically had to take a long time (with lots of hemming
Sharon
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was utterly charmed by the first novella in the set. I was progressively less charmed until I put the last one aside.

The writing was very good and each book had engaging characters. Each story or book had a bit of a feminist twist to it that holds Courtney Milan apart from other historical romance writers...

But, the feminist/woke/ethnically diverse storyline got more absurd in each book. In the last one (that I put aside), the female lead was a black genius scientist in Victorian England—I mea
Jendi
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of romance I like, because it's about so much more than romance! I learned a lot about 19th-century social justice issues, science, and even contraception (surprisingly advanced for the era as I pictured it). Milan's heroines are suffragettes, scientists, a chess champion and more. Her heroes are the kind of aristocrat who wants to reform factory conditions and give the vote to commoners. The main pairings are all M/F but there are a few queer side characters including two lesbi ...more
Robert Stevenson
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Frustrations

I would generally consider any novel by Me Milan 5 🌟 easily. I am sure these novels are, as well. However....it is impossible to truly judge a story when every sixth page or so is a blank page!!!!! I tried changing fonts...sizes...page orientation. I Just Could Not Get The Meaning Missed By Large Pieces Of Information.
O Am Sorely Disapppointed.
Elisa
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great series. I love The Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn and this series was similarly witty and engaging. Great characters with some overlap across the series. My favorite couple of the set was Free and Edward; some of the things he expressed were so darned romantic it made me cry. This is not a clean read, but you can skip over them and still enjoy the story. Highly recommend.
Pam
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good series with some real gems of scenes. Women who stand up for themselves, men who respect women, characters you want to know. The Countess Conspiracy is truly thought provoking. One of the most sizzling scenes is in the first novella, though: The Governess Affair. The physical encounter deftly turns on respect. It's a lesson in consent.
Glad I own this series, so I can return to them again.
TabReads
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Binge reading at its best

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Goodreads has my individual book reviews, but taken as a whole this series is delightful, smart, full of brilliant women and sexy men. Each book is a stand alone but it is wonderful to see the characters from other stories pop up.
E.L. Roux
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing series!

I've feel like I've never read a series so full of love, life, smart women, and the men who truly appreciated them set in this era. This series is a series that just kept on giving, one amazing story after the next. This is a definite reading recommendation, and well worth the amazing price!
Myrna
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really wonderful series

I enjoyed this series. It was great to have all the books in order, starting with the Governess Affair. The characters are deftly drawn and the plot of each story was unpredictable. And thank you, Ms. Milan, for including a black heroine! Rose was a wonder!
Aimee
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Some of the books and novellas were 4 stars for me, and some were 5. Overall, I really enjoyed this series. Milan does a wonderful job with her romantic subplots, and I love how diverse her characters are.
Bex
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great fun

I generally avoid admitting reading "trashy" fiction, but these came highly recommended and and are super enjoyable. Also well researched, which makes everything better. Was off work sick and made it through the entire set.
Shirley Hamlod
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant collection of stories. The characters are really detailed and life like not to mention lovable. The women are strong and intelligent and know what they want from life. A ‘must read’ collection!
Victoria
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picked up the whole set on Kindle. I found all of the books entertaining — standard historical romance tropes with a updated modern sensibility. I think The Countess Conspiracy (Sebastian & Violet) was the weakest, while The Suffragette Scandal (Free & Edward) was the strongest. ...more
Rhoda Baxter
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series. My favourite is The Governess Affair, but I enjoyed all of the books. The characterisation and dialogue are superb.
Tracy Zullo
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5
This is a wonderful mix of full lengths and shorts. Totally fun read.
April Neal
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read

Started of as a most enjoyable read, with very complex character history. But it kind of lost its way a bit with the last two. Some how I didn't feel as connected
joyce ryder
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was readable,entertaining.☺
Julia
I own all of these books and novellas individually and in this anthology, no regrets. Such an amazing series!
Elizabeth
I poured through this whole set earlier this year and forgot to review as I went along. I'm sure I'll reread some day.
B B
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I probably would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't read it all in one go. That's ... a lot of regency romance. But it was GOOD regency romance
Luvia
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this series after I found and read The Governess Affair as a Kindle freebie. Courtney Milan depicts realistic, flawed characters in a clear, engaging prose. Each story features a strong female character, science, adventure and of course (against all odds) romance. Truly loved them all!
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Brothers Sinister Series Discussion *Spoilers* 1 39 Aug 01, 2018 07:23PM

• Tikka Chance on Me
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1)
  • The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)
  • His Bride for the Taking
  • Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)
  • Love Hard (Hard Play, #3)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
  • The Lord I Left (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #3)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • The Earl I Ruined (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #2)
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)