Start by marking “The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5

The Brothers Sinister: The Complete Boxed Set #.5-4.5

(Brothers Sinister 0.5-4.5)

This is the complete boxed set of Courtney Milan’s acclaimed Brothers Sinister Series – four full length books, three novellas – together, almost half a million words.

The Governess Affair

Miss Serena Barton intends to hold the petty, selfish duke who had her sacked responsible for his crimes. But the man who handles all the duke's dirty business has been ordered to get rid
Published September 15th 2015 by Courtney Milan

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Sinister

Natasha
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in book 5 of 7 and unless things really go down hill, I'm giving this a 5. Easily the best$9.99 I've spent on my kindle. So far we've got lots of ladies with agency and smarts, flawed individuals, a man who isn't good at sex on his wedding night and the wife fixes it, workers rights, voting rights, best friends to lovers, secret women scientists breaking all kinds of new ground.

I mean, whatever. The world's shit but this is great. If one of the two remaining books has a fake marriage, I plan
Brianna
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I already individually reviewed each of the books in this series. But since the boxset is how I bought and read them all, I thought it'd be nice to give my overall impression of the series. I'll link each of the reviews down below.

When I heard people talk about Courtney Milan, it was always this series. I heard about her unique heroines, and great historical settings. I had previously read the first Carhart novel, and liked it well enough. But when I saw that this series was in a boxset and on
Debbie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: woc-authors
This review is for the series as a whole. I really enjoyed reading these interesting, feminist heroines. (If you don't read my entire review, be sure you always read Milan's Author Notes.)

I did, however, find the books rather unrealistic at first. It did not detract from my enjoyment, I have absolutely no problems with a 21st century anachronistic characters in a historical romance novel, but I did find it unrealistic that all the men and all the families would be so enlightened and supportive.
Lexxi Kitty
Most of the historical fiction I’ve read, at least the ones that are also historical romances, have tended to be set in the Regency period, are roughly around that period of time. This series here, though, covers a good chunk of the Victorian age – the period of time when Queen Victoria sat on the British throne.

The first part of this series, a prequel short story, starts in 1835. Queen Victoria’s reign started two years later in 1837. The last book in this series takes place in 1882. Queen Vict
Judy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Bear with me for a minute.

The New York Times recently ran an article called "How One Harasser Can Rob a Generation of Women: Closed Opportunities, dwindling role models, roads not taken." https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/us.... It mentions, among other Me Too moments, an accusation of sexual harassment against Judge Alex Kozinski [who has now resigned] by Heidi Bond, one of his clerks.
An excerpt, "I remember Heidi Bond. While she was in law school at the University of Michigan she wrote a bl
S.M.
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tons of fun. My favorite was The Countess Conspiracy (I loved that one!), but they were all great and every book was special in its own way--A Kiss for Midwinter talks about the frankness and necessity of sex ed., The Heiress Effect was about learning to not care what the rest of the world thinks about you, etc.

The only one I wish I'd skipped was The Heiress Effect. I really admired the heroine, but the love interest was kind of a dick and basically had to take a long time (with lots of hemming
Robert Stevenson
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Frustrations

I would generally consider any novel by Me Milan 5 🌟 easily. I am sure these novels are, as well. However....it is impossible to truly judge a story when every sixth page or so is a blank page!!!!! I tried changing fonts...sizes...page orientation. I Just Could Not Get The Meaning Missed By Large Pieces Of Information.
O Am Sorely Disapppointed.
Aimee
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Some of the books and novellas were 4 stars for me, and some were 5. Overall, I really enjoyed this series. Milan does a wonderful job with her romantic subplots, and I love how diverse her characters are.
Myrna
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really wonderful series

I enjoyed this series. It was great to have all the books in order, starting with the Governess Affair. The characters are deftly drawn and the plot of each story was unpredictable. And thank you, Ms. Milan, for including a black heroine! Rose was a wonder!
Tracy Zullo
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5
This is a wonderful mix of full lengths and shorts. Totally fun read.
April Neal
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read

Started of as a most enjoyable read, with very complex character history. But it kind of lost its way a bit with the last two. Some how I didn't feel as connected
Rhoda Baxter
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series. My favourite is The Governess Affair, but I enjoyed all of the books. The characterisation and dialogue are superb.
Luvia
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this series after I found and read The Governess Affair as a Kindle freebie. Courtney Milan depicts realistic, flawed characters in a clear, engaging prose. Each story features a strong female character, science, adventure and of course (against all odds) romance. Truly loved them all!
Mike
Gently but firmly feminist Victorian/aristocratic romance series

Fans of feminist, historical romance, each entry this series includes relationship-building drama that is both true-to-life while pushing the feminist envelope, providing readers edgy but realistic heroines along with the rakes who grow to respect and love them.

As I read each succisve story, I very much enjoyed each one even if I wasn't always blown away by the individual installment. However, the cumulative effect of the series fo
Patricia
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Multiple excellent books

This boxed set was an incredible buy, regardless of what I spent.
All of the Brothers Sinister, and their side kicks, end up married (or nearly married - after all, engaged will do).
I loved each book, but my favorite is The Suffragette Scandal. The intensity of the evil the hero must overcome really makes this story sing.
But, each of these books or novellas is excellent in their own right. Levels of excellence are really not important when the actual results are this good.
Fedora
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd read many recommendations of Ms. Milan's writing before, and finally had the chance to pull this off my TBR. I'm only kicking myself that I didn't do that sooner.

Ms. Milan's stories are about brilliantly clever and incredibly loving women who face down some of the worst that life can bring--racism, sexism, poverty, so much of it ingrained into society. What I appreciate is that Ms. Milan pairs them with men worthy to be by their sides, who value them as they are and who truly bring out thei
Deb
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok, so if I were reviewing this collection only alongside other romance novels, I would give it a 5...but since I’m reviewing it here alongside all genres and types, it gets a 4. These novels are fun, feisty, and smart, and the sex is actually...gasp!...sexy and at times awkward and...!!!...aware of birth control (not only that, it’s often the men who hold themselves responsible for birth control - be still my feminist heart). The writing is good, the dialogue is snappy, the men are forward-thin ...more
Kim Power
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Remarkable Achievement

I have just read the entire series, start to end. I enjoyed the novels so much. Complex characters, strong women, almost all of whom have historical precedents. Well written and edited. The repartee is clever, and I'm just starting on the Worth series. There is a great deal of sexual frankness but it is in context and its honest. There are extended, explicit scenes in all the novels I doubt many Victorian men were as considerate in bed as the men in these novels. They'd b
Mairilyn Yera
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection was a wonderful surprise. I got it after I read the first book by itself and I haven't been disappointed! Milan does a fantastic job in all the book of this set with plot, characters and historical details. The books not are just fluffy romantic, but well thought, researched and filled with men and women that show their fight against many of the prejudices of that age. The books are so very entertaining too because they cover different themes but connect many of the characters. I ...more
Jennifer Erwin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the complete set of all the Brothers Sinister stories from Courtney Milan. I loved every single one of them. They are a historical romance but they take place at a time when women were finally starting to become vocal about rights, and the people were wanting to have equal rights with the aristocracy. Ms. Milan has beautifully woven historical references into her romances and I enjoyed every single one of them. I highly recommend this series.
Kathleen Ruggio
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Too Much Science

I almost gave up reading when the stories got into too much science about chromosomes and flower genetics. I managed to get through that but the last book in the series I decided to forgo and it's the first book I've read in hundreds that I didn't finish. Much of the writing was good. There was some good rogues along the way. Relationship building was painfully slow.
Pauline
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this series. I feel like I discovered the secret feminists club of romance writers. Each female lead is wonderfully bold, making her own choices and striving towards her own goals, regardless of the men in her life. And such wonderful men!

These books were a fun combination of fast paced action-adventure & steamy romance - strongly recommend :)
cynthia h. spillman
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enlightening

Great story lines. Authors notes also helped in putting history in prospective. I can't wait to enjoy next boxed collection
MLOW
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stopping after book 3 (72%). Not enjoying the books as much the further I get into the set. May read the last book and novella later.
Lynne
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Needed some escapism and BOY HOWDY did this do the trick.

Multiple romances from different generations of a family, tons of excellent banter. I loved the shit out of this.
GAIL
May 01, 2016
Vashasromances
Sep 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Brothers Sinister Series Discussion *Spoilers* 1 37 Aug 01, 2018 07:23PM
  • The Girl and the Rat
  • Kauhun tasapaino ja muita kirjoituksia
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven  (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #3; Desperate Duchesses, #9)
  • I grunden utan skuld (Sandhamn, #3)
  • The Unbearable Bassington
  • The Devil Earl (Regency Quartet, #2)
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • The Vanishing Viscountess
  • My Champion (Knights of de Ware, #1)
  • Spin Control
  • Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
  • The Three Disgraces Series
  • A Tryst in Time
  • Miss Merry's Christmas
  • Sielut kulkevat sateessa
  • Christmas in Duke Street
  • Lord Lightning (Astrology, #1)
  • Little Red in the City
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
“Her kiss didn’t sweep away the dark anguish he felt in his heart. Instead, it embraced it. It acknowledged it.” 1 likes
“Best not to dream, dear. If you don’t, there’s nothing that can be taken from you.” 1 likes