Start by marking “Black Box Thinking: The Surprising Truth About Success” as Want to Read:
Black Box Thinking: The Surprising Truth About Success

Black Box Thinking: The Surprising Truth About Success

What links the Mercedes Formula One team with Google?

What is the connection between Dave Brailsford's Team Sky and the aviation industry?

What links the inventor James Dyson and the basketball player Michael Jordan?

They are all Black Box Thinkers.

Whether developing a new product, honing a core skill or just trying to get a critical decision right, Black Box Thinkers aren't

Published September 10th 2015 by John Murray (first published September 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Black Box Thinking, please sign up.
Nazrul Buang I'm about fifty pages into the book, and I agree. I can see why the book is insightful (although not groundbreaking per se) for several reasons: 1) th…moreI'm about fifty pages into the book, and I agree. I can see why the book is insightful (although not groundbreaking per se) for several reasons: 1) the writing is succinct and easy to digest; 2) his message is clear, and 3) his instances drive home his points. He makes persuasive arguments on why some organizations don't learn from their mistakes, some systemic while others are psychological, and draws wisdom from other prominent scientists to prove his points.

It summarizes what many other scientists have mentioned, encapsulated into a coherent book.(less)

Start your review of Black Box Thinking: The Surprising Truth About Success
Nancy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
What a great book! For a nonfiction, it would be remarkable easy to read for those who don't usually read nonfiction. It's filled with so many examples from so many industries that I can't even remember them all; from medicine, aviation, Unilever detergent nozzles, DreamWorks movies, law enforcement, vacuum cleaners, and even child welfare social workers.

The book tackles a number of important aspects of failure, such as the idea of complexity and how the world we live in is an immensely complex
Stephen
This came highly recommended by the friend who lent me it but it seems to have taken me forever to finish it. The central point and some of the examples are interesting but to me it just said the same thing over and over again. Relieved to have finished it, to be honest !
Mario Tomic
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do some learn from mistakes and become better while others never seem to improve? What if the problem is that no one has taught us how to deal with failure? This brilliant book reveals a framework for how to use mistakes as learning tools and transform short-term failures into long-term success. The book is full of engaging stories and interesting anecdotes on how the human psyche has the potential to deal with failure in a variety of ways. For me, one of the most interesting parts was the o ...more
Brian Johnson
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-classics
“In this book we will examine how we respond to failure, as individuals, as businesses, as societies. How do we deal with it, and learn from it? How do we react when something has gone wrong, whether because of a slip, a lapse, an error of commission or omission, or a collective failure…? …

The purpose of this book is to offer a radically different perspective. It will argue that we need to redefine our relationship with failure, as individuals, as organizations, and as societies. This is the mos
Vikash
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonny Recio
Black box thinking starts by storytelling the undeniable mistakes in the healthcare sector, particularly with the case of Elaine Bromiley's. It appears that healthcare industry was not open to mistakes that are happening inside especially if the case was life-threatening because the whole industry encourages 0% mistakes since they're dealing with life itself. Any mistakes made will be costly and unforgivable. With this, the author clearly stated that mistakes are essential and responsible for th ...more
Damaskcat
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a totally fascinating and thought provoking read. It looks at a subject which we tend to try and avoid in the twenty first century - failure. The culture is to cover up failures and not talk about them or even think about them. The author uses examples from the airline industry, medicine, inventions and many other backgrounds - including the industrial revolution - to illustrate failures which can be very useful and instructive.

If you have had recent experience of a medical situatio
Sebastiaan
This book provided me with more useful information than my college education.
Huyen Chip
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me think of applying black box thinking to writing. Why can't we publish a MVP of a book and iterate on it?
Nukes
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hereby truthfully resolved by yours truly that he shall no longer fear actualising failure. He shall henceforth embrace failure as a learning tool by recording all the actions, in-actions and inertias in a personal blackbox. The blackbox shall reviewed without fear or favour. Hard questions shall be asked when results are below par.
No longer shall he wait for the perfect product. Instead the prototype shall be launched as per the deadline as is where is. Iteration as a process is hencefort
Ivan Tchernev
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity, mind
I'm going to start failing a lot more in life now, and it's all thanks to Matthew Syed. Thank goodness for him.

Black Box Thinking is a book about failure, and how far, far too many aspects of our lives take exactly the wrong approach to it. His central argument is that nothing is more central to personal, systemic and societal progress than an open, honest and healthy approach to failure. Researched and supported by an exhaustive list of examples, the book was a pleasure to read, and I hope that
Samson Sunny
In this book author says we have to give more importance to failures. We need to track the failure and note why and how we failed. This information will help us to improve the future steps that we are taking. Failing information is very important. All the innovation comes from many failures all successful people failed many times. It is not they are talented. They practised well and they took serious about their failure and they learnt from it.

This book giving so many examples that reduces the
Anthony
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvellously easy to read. The story of the BA pilot will break your heart. Really good ideas and well articulated
Oliver Clarke
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a few books like this lately, partly because there is a crossover with my day job, but mostly because I like ideas. This was definitely the best. It’s an extremely well written and engrossing examination of a simple concept, that failure is valuable because it helps us get better. Unlike some other similar books it never felt like it outlived it’s welcome. The examples used to illustrate the point were well chosen and often grippingly relayed. I was surprised at what a page turner ‘Bla ...more
David Msomba
Great insight on how we should build a culture of analysing and learning from our mistakes and failures.

I learn alot from the many great examples and case studies that the author has outline throughout this book.

I do believe is a culture that we real need to cultivate not only on personal level but many fields that keep cultivating denialism of failure, cognitive dissonance and keep on embracing cover up altitude,when comes to understand why they fail.

I cant recommend this enough.
Dipra Lahiri
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self, 2019
Well researched, compelling stories that illustrate the key theme - that failure and the willingness to learn from it, leads to success. Corporates would do well to adopt this mindset.
Myles Cowper-Coles
A very compelling read on why failure is crucial for progress. Syed manages to convey his points with great anecdotes and really brings to life what could be quite a dry subject. Highly recommended.
Temuujin Nyamdavaa
Black Box Thinking is an unique book about failure as well as how to make use of mistake to bounce back from adversity. Matthew Syed, who also wrote another bestseller Bounce, which I haven’t yet read, offered us totally different view of failure and success with his work. To be honest, before reading this book, I reckon that failure is uncomfortable situation that should be avoided. But, now I have a totally different insight into it. The book starts with a totally new perspective about failure ...more
An Te
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a compelling book. It is assumed in this book that errors just occur and are a natural part of life and its concomitant complexities. Its main thrust concerns the articulation of two different cultures in dealing with this complexity. The first is the shut down of all inquiry and learning through pre-emptive blame. The second is the just culture of thorough investigations into the underlying factors that have contributed to the error that established a learning culture and growth mindset ...more
LaMarr D
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Black Box Thinking" is phenomenal! It forces you to think deeply about the decisions you have made personally and professionally – and more importantly, the failures as a result of those decisions. No matter if you are an employee or an entrepreneur, the book also compels you to think about how your company makes its decisions and how things can be improved in your work environment. The way we have been conditioned and taught to view failure is wrong and, in Syed’s view, we should embrace failu ...more
Cindy
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a warm and fuzzy book with step by step instructions on how to learn from your mistakes this isn’t the book for you.

I will admit - that is what I came into the book expecting.

What I got was SO much more.

Riddled with real life stories, examples and scientific evidence this book really breaks down the psychological issues and games we play not only as individuals but as organizations to avoid, deny and even penalize failure and how much it hurts us to do so.

I love the real
Zack
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book and thought it was well delivered, but unfortunately didn't find too much original material here, this book focuses a lot on problem-solving in medicine and in aviation if you haven't read too much on these subjects then I would recommend this book.
Dr Dinesh
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts off in a great way, touching a topic that is close to my heart. How medicine is taught to be an exact subject, but a lot of it is a result of experiments that can improve. We can improve healthcare, if only we position it as a learning system and remove the stigma and blame associated with failure.
The insights in the book do fade a little as you progress. I was looking for concrete methods to improve and rather found evidence being piled upon for the same message again and again.
Andrius Senulis
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Lots of very interesting and even shocking stories and their analyses showing how and why organizations are able and unable to learn from their mistakes and evolve. Shows how costly can be the outcomes of medical and judicial organization that hide their mistakes instead of learning from them. The book explains the cognitive dissonance phenomenon and makes you realise how widespread it is and how big of a damage it creates.
Mehrsa
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insights.
Mihai Stanimir
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn how to find your mistakes and use them to your advantage.
Dunja *a chain reader*
Absolutely great, mind-blowing book.
Robert Cowper-Coles
Closed Loop – Where failure does not lead to progress as info on weaknesses is ignored, misinterpreted or covered up. People often do not interrogate errors as they are not even aware. Blame style management tends to increase Close Loop thinking as people cover up their mistakes
Open Loop – Where failure does lead to progress as info on weaknesses is rationally acted upon
Aviation, thanks to the black box, is the most open loop sector as fatal errors are intensely scrutinised. There is even book t
Alberto
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book enlightens the reader about how different industries deal with failure and mistakes.
It provides the reader with lots of insights, examples and evidence why some people indeed never learn from their mistakes.

Everyone of us makes mistakes, every day, but what's most important is how you deal with your mistakes. If you're prone to understand what went wrong and how, and look for a solution or improvement, you'll teach yourself a meaningful lesson. Otherwise, what will happen is that you'
Sam
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Librari...: Request to combine books 3 17 Feb 04, 2019 05:43PM

• The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
  • Winners: And How They Succeed
  • Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life
  • Leading: Learning from Life and My Years at Manchester United
  • Make Elephants Fly: The Process of Radical Innovation
  • The Pressure Principle: Handle Stress, Harness Energy, and Perform When It Counts
  • What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
  • Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics
  • Money: A User’s Guide
  • The Talent Lab: How to Turn Potential into World-Beating Success
  • Money: Know More, Make More, Give More
  • Gold Mine Effect: Crack the Secrets of High Performance

News & Interviews

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.” 27 likes
“Studies have shown that we are often so worried about failure that we create vague goals, so that nobody can point the finger when we don’t achieve them. We come up with face-saving excuses, even before we have attempted anything.

We cover up mistakes, not only to protect ourselves from others, but to protect us from ourselves. Experiments have demonstrated that we all have a sophisticated ability to delete failures from memory, like editors cutting gaffes from a film reel—as we’ll see. Far from learning from mistakes, we edit them out of the official autobiographies we all keep in our own heads.”
12 likes