Start by marking “Beat Slay Love” as Want to Read:
Beat Slay Love

Beat Slay Love

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"An incredibly sly mystery. Everything you'd want when you bite into a dish: suspense, spice, and a new take on an old classic." - Bestselling author, Charlaine Harris

•Like your barbeque and your sex extra spicy? Your murders saucy and done to a turn? Plunge into the fascinating and competitive world of food media culture, in this wry, witty crime story where cutting edge
Published October 1st 2015 by Thalia Press

Betsy
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly fun book to read. Not so much a mystery as a romp through Celebrity Chef murders. Seamlessly penned by five writers, tongue in cheek, and a joy to read. And best part for me personally is that having enjoyed Lise McClendon and Katy Munger's books for years, I now have three new authors to check out.
Diane Coto
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you ever watch those TV cooking shows – the ‘reality’ ones? This book is like one of those reality TV shows on steroids. Hannah Wendt was an aspiring chef at one time. But many of the now-famous chefs had wronged her in various ways. Some had used her managing to up their game while diminishing hers; others had simply not considered her worthy at all. It’s been years since she’s been out of the picture, but she’ll never forget the chefs … and they’ll remember her while they’re taking their la ...more
Heather G
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
OMG this book is a train wreck. I got about 3/4 of the way through but it was enough to know it's like something written by that delusional member of your writing group (if you are in a writing group, you know of whom I speak). The characters are unlikable and/or not worth caring about, there are too many in light of the shallowness of the story, and there are fantastical coincidences and inconsistencies. For example, the cliche poor-geek-slob-blogger runs up his credit card to the max but then ...more
Nanette Tredoux
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
In retrospect, the derivative title should have alerted me about what to expect. I nevertheless read the whole thing and was sometimes moderately entertained. I certainly didn't find this novel a "real page-turner", in fact, I fell asleep several times while reading it. That said, I do read in bed. But this book didn't keep me awake, as some others have. For one thing, there is no mystery. One finds out very soon who the killer is. The only question is when she will get caught and what mistake s ...more
Denice Stradling
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As I read EAT, SLAY, LOVE, two thoughts stayed with me the whole time: first, this would make a fabulous film, a la “Pulp Fiction”, and second, I can't believe that five writers could blend this story so seamlessly. It's the perfect storm of humorous murder, murderous humor, and damn good writing!

A wanna-be chef is disgruntled and angry, and is out to murder the Great Chefs of … well, everywhere!

Want a hint of the murder styles?? Well, what do chefs pine for?? Good knives, a perfectly boiled …
Leslie
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a fan of cooking shows to read this book, but it helps. Someone is killing the most notorious and obnoxious Celebrity chefs. In cruelly beautiful ironic ways.

A food blogger Jason & an FBI agent find themselves traveling the country from Food festival and TV locations in search of the murderer. Unlike more traditional 'who done its' the author lets us know who the murderer is and exposes her motivation.

And in a weird way you find yourself cheering on the killer.
Debbie Carnes
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this great book, Beat,Slay , Love . If you love a great mystery mixed with food, love, sex and murder, this book is for you.

Follow Jason and Kimberly through this exciting story. Wonderful characters, a real page turner. Will keep you up until the wee hours to see what happens next
Linda
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Its not too often an author can make you feel for the murderer but I did. This was a fun poke at the crazy food network/cooking channel/celebrity chefs. Very enjoyable!
Kathleen
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This cozy about celebrity chefs and cooking shows was fun if totally unbelievable. A series of intricate revenge murders were carried out by one woman who required superhuman strength and inexplicable luck. I would have enjoyed more about the cooking (ala Diane Mott Davidson or Julie Hyzy) and less about the kinky bedroom antics. The story was Wednesday dinner not a memorable Sunday feast.
Victoria
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was just so strange. I like weird stories and things that are different, but this was a little too much for me. The characters weren’t likable at all and most of the time I just didn’t get what was going on with the story. There were some funny/ interesting parts, but overall, I thought this could have been told a lot better.
Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester
Ever watch one of those chef competitions on TV? Hells Kitchen? Master chef Junior? Top Chef? Ever wonder what happens to the losers of those competitions? Do they all lose gracefully? Not on your life, or on the lives of those demeaning celebrity judges! Meet Hannah, whose humiliating 30 minutes on 86ed, the chef competition show she had waited all her life to win, have been relived over and over again in her mind and on multiple media outlets. But that wasn't the only revenge she was looking f ...more
Nese
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this ebook for free from Amazon for an honest review
There are so many good books to read and then, there are some that stand out in the crowd and a delight to read. This unusual book is one of them, describing the world of foodies, food festivals, the world of well-run and known restaurants, famous chefs with attitudes, Food Channel stars, and what goes on behind the scenes. The character study of human beings, especially the dark sides, one of the most challenging things to accomplis
Jennifer Robb
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: food network fans
Recommended to Jennifer by: kindle
I did not get into the "Eat, Pray, Love" maelstrom that swept the nation, but I do have to admit that the play on that title, along with the book description, did make me pick this ebook when it was offered as a free title. I also enjoy watching food shows, so I enjoyed the setting of this book. That said, there are a few point of view slips where the reader ends up head hopping.

Hannah chooses to blame many things in her life on others. Her father, other chefs, foodies, previous boyfriends--eve
John Purcell
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Someone is killing the great chefs of...wait, I think that was movie. But someone in this book is killing some well known chefs in the US. On the whole, they are men and women associated with the reality cooking shows on tv, as either contestants or judges. And their deaths are often staged as culinary masterpieces. But who is doing this? And why?

Enter Jason, a " foodie" and a blogger, who has an interest in all things culinary along with a budding reputation in the blog-o-sphere, and Kimberly,
Suzze Tiernan
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this culinary mystery! I am amazed at how seamless the storytelling is, even though it was written by numerous authors. As a giant food show fan, I love how it incorporated food television and food competitions into the story. Highly recommended.

Reading this on the Kindle app is a weird experience. It has no page numbers, only this: "LOC 1687 of 4412". That tells me....uh....nothing. Just as with every Kindle book, it tells you how long you have left in a chapter. But it will s
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Fun Murder Mystery set in the Culinary World. While this is not really a mystery, as the killer is revealed in about the 4th chapter, it is a fun read. If you like watching any of the numerous cooking shows on TV you can image what might really happen behind the scenes.
I did not get that this was written by multiple authors as some readers noted. I felt the writing blended well and each character's story had it's own feel that worked as a whole.
I was entertained and walked away with a plan to t
Lauren
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is quite an entertaining book. I love watching the food network and found this book to be a fun spin on their shows. Hannah has always felt male chefs did not give her the credit she deserved. So she takes it upon herself to murder them, in very unique and quite hysterical ways. I laughed through most of the book and think the author did a great job creating this unique world. I am curious how it will be taken by the food network should they hear about it. I do wish we had a little more inf ...more
Amanda Walker
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a fun book, easy read. It starts out as a murder mystery, and later on it gets a little strange...

Someone is killing chefs, and no one but Jason Bainbridge has made the connection. He finally gets an FBI agent on board, and they travel to food festivals around the count, trying to track down a killer and prevent another murder. Finally, a cooking right show presents an opportunity to do both, and everyone gets an inside look at how these work.
Debra
Mar 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
An interesting mystery spoiled by some pretty explicit, kinky sex. I would have enjoyed it a lot more had the author stuck to her grisly murder mystery. If it had been written that way, I probably would have rated it at least a little higher. I wish I had read the description of the book, or a review or two, but then I seldom do. Leads to at least a few clunkers. Meanwhile, I wish I could erase at least part of it from my memory.
Sanhita
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting start. But it lost it's way after say two third of the book, where it focussed more on erotica. Wish the author could sustain the interesting mix of cookery shows and mystery till the end.
Sarahanne
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an odd book. Not exactly cozy, not truly hard boiled. (Poached perhaps, but not hard boiled).

It's a little gruesome sometimes & you might not want to snack while reading. I loved the blogging angle & the side stories.
Amy Sunshine
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy Sunshine by: Book Bub
Food, murder, sex. And the title makes fun of "Eat Pray Love". What more could you ask? This was a quick and entertaining read. The fact that it was written by five authors under a pen name adds to its charm.
Cathy Rowan
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining book in all ways. sassy, funny, yet great suspense.
Chaya Gladstone
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is a great book as you know who the killer is from the start. I like that the killer tells you why they are killing a certain person. it's a very good book with a good cast of characters.
Susan
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. Will recommend.
Samantha Marangell
The book was ok. It was enjoyable enough if you don't take it too seriously. It's more about the food and less about the mystery. A bit anticlimactic at the end.
Kathy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A very strange book.
Marsha
rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2016
Barbara Pritchett
Dec 10, 2016
Conny Pietrek
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Healing Spirit (Riverview Series #2)
  • Reason to Wed (The Distinguished Rogues #7)
  • A Knight to Remember (Merriweather Sisters Time Travel #1)
  • Stunner (A Ronnie Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Lake Effect
  • A Hold on Me (The Dark Heart, #1)
  • You Can't Get Blood Out of Shag Carpet (A Study Club Cozy Murder Mystery #1)
  • Next Door to a Star
  • Shot Off the Presses (Avery Shaw, #4)
  • An Informal Arrangement (Informal Romance, #2)
  • Summoner Rising (Laws of Summoning, #1)
  • The Exchange (Beautiful Monster #1)
  • A Soldier's Vow
  • Scavenger of Souls
  • Molly's Misadventures
  • Life In The No Dating Zone (The Zone #1)
  • 31 Ghost Novels to Read Before You Die
  • The Diamond Looking Glass (Cleopatra's Legacy, #3)