Start by marking “The Psychoses 1955-1956 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)” as Want to Read:
The Psychoses 1955-1956 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)

The Psychoses 1955-1956 (Le Séminaire #3)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Taking us into and beyond the realm of Freudian psychoanalysis, Lacan examines the psychoses' inescapable connection to the symbolic process through which signifier is joined with signified. Lacan deftly navigates the ontological levels of the symbolic, the imaginary, and the real to explain psychosis as "foreclosure," or rejection of the primordial signifier. Then, bridgi ...more
Published July 17th 1997 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychoses 1955-1956, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychoses 1955-1956

Chris
Mar 13, 2007 rated it liked it
I read this after my friend had a major psychotic episode. It was fascinating, but I'm not a Lacanian so my grasp of the text is probably severely lacking.

Unfortunately I can now identify a psychotic discourse when I see read it...so i guess it's kind of like learning knowledge that contains a curse.

One should always keep these things in mind.
Jed
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This seminar is still fairly early in Lacan's development, but a lot of important elements of his theories are elaborated. The most famous is probably "the quilting point," the signifier which fixes meaning in place and works like a ballast to keep it from drifting endlessly. Lacan concludes that not lacking enough of these is key factor in bringing on psychosis. There's a heavy debt to Saussure's linguistics running through this text.

It's also noteworthy because of his in-depth focus on Schreb
Tasniem Sami
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychoanalysis
Lacan's works will be always the hardest most demanding reads ever.
Pascal Christeller
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All about Schreber and psychosis... It was great! Though provoking. Unconventional. Insightful.
Dana
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A foreclosure of the name-of-the-father eh? Sounds pretty radical but I'm going to believe you because you are Jacques Lacan. I can only imagine trying to explain this one to the shitty mental health system of which I am a part. Helped to clarify the meaning and the function of the father though which is great.
Celso Rennó Lima
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Uma maneira surpreendente de trabalhar os conceitos Freudianos, abrindo novas perspectivas de abordagem da psicose. Seu conceito de Nome-do-Pai e de Foraclusão trouxeram possibilidades para a escuta e tratamento da psicose.
Bradley
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lacan's reputation precedes him. I've read reviews of his books that say his books are purposefully obscure, difficult, and not worth the tedious effort. I am finding this reputation must come from short-attention-spanned professors who are barely literate.
Mikael
  • The Piggle: An Account of the Psychoanalytic Treatment of a Little Girl
  • We Have Only This Life to Live
  • Studies in Hysteria
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • Nietzsche, Volumes 3&4: The Will to Power as Knowledge and as Metaphysics & Nihilism
  • Envy and Gratitude and Other Works
  • What Is Madness?
  • Mental Illness and Psychology
  • Ethics of the Real: Kant, Lacan
Jacques-Marie-Émile Lacan was a French psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, and doctor, who made prominent contributions to the psychoanalytic movement. His yearly seminars, conducted in Paris from 1953 until his death in 1981, were a major influence in the French intellectual milieu of the 1960s and 1970s, particularly among post-structuralist thinkers.

Lacan's ideas centered on Freudian concepts such as
More about Jacques Lacan

Le Séminaire (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: Freud's Papers on Technique
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book II: The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis, 1954-1955
  • El seminario 5: La formación del inconsciente = Substance Abuse
  • Le Séminaire, Livre VI: Le désir et son interprétation
  • The Ethics of Psychoanalysis 1959-1960 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)
  • Il seminario. Libro VIII. Il transfert (1960-1961)
  • Seminario 9: "La identificación" 1961-1962, Versión íntegra
  • Anxiety - The Seminar of Jacques Lacan | Book X
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)
  • Seminario 14: Lógica del fantasma 1966-1967