Start by marking “Chasing Midnight” as Want to Read:
Chasing Midnight

Chasing Midnight

Sixteen-year-old Mackenzie knows life is always better for the lucky ones—the problem is, she’s never been one. But when Mackenzie finally gets her wish, she quickly realizes the royal life isn’t exactly what she had in mind. And her dream prince is nothing close to charming! With running shoes as glass slippers, this modern retelling of Cinderella is an enchanting and ent ...more
Published January 12th 2016 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Midnight

Booknut
Chasing Midnight is the kind of YA book that makes you fall back in love with YA again.

Not that you've ever really fallen out of love with it (I mean, all I need to do is look up at my YA-filled bookshelf to see proof of that!) but sometimes you can feel a little disenchanted by it. It's like every YA book can be broken down into a series of cliches and recycled plot paths.

But not Chasing Midnight.

Funnily enough this book that is based on another tale - the tale of Cinderella - is far more ori
Angela
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I designed the cover, so it's about time I read it. Not the type of book I usually read, but 4 stars since it was well done. I enjoyed the shoe thing at the end and the influence of the original Grimm Cinderella story.
Teresa Hirst
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a teenager daughter who is always looking for new books, both YA and adult fiction, that are entertaining and clean. Chasing Midnight has just would I would recommend for her! This novel boasts a unique "what if" plot that allows the main character Mackenzie Love and reader to wonder and wonder through a day in the life of ourselves--only more like we wish we were. But wait, is that what we really want? This is fun experience for Kenzie and the reader to pursue and choose from two romanti ...more
katayoun Masoodi
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, ya, rromance
not sure if it was after reading mckillip or it's the books, but read 2 chapters and didn't like it and was brave enough to put it aside. The bravery was cause by the mckillip, i want something like that; and an andrea host waiting to be read!!
ScrappyDiva
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
I enjoyed the the ending and thought it was cute
Kelly
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, young-adult
I think this is more like “A Christmas Carol” not in the Christmas setting with a Cinderella ending than a Retelling of Cinderella. MacKenzie Love gets her very own fairy Godmother in the form of a “Bird Lady” as MacKenzie has come to know her. Kenzie has a brother who has terrible asthma that is a great brother, a set of younger boy twins who are all over the place, an older brother in college whom she begs to come home on the weekends, and eternally optimistic father and a healthy eating and g ...more
books are love
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is cinderella but not Cinderella. We get a twist in the tale. Mackenzie is on the outside looking in. She has love outpouring from herself and her reasons for wanting change at first are pure. Although not all her desires are. But I think that it is those wants that help change her and see that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We see that no matter what side of the tracks you are on, there are secrets to be hold, problems and power to have.

What Mackenzie thought she wanted
Jessica
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
A hard book to get through because of the main character- snobby brat. Not my kind of book to pick up, but glad I was able to read it because of the message on appreciating one's life, regardless of how hard one's life is. Made me feel grateful for who I was raised to be-- not a snobby brat for sure!
Kate
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pretty cool and multiple unexpected twists also teaches about friendship and sibling hood
Tonja Drecker
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been getting my thrill on fairy tale re-tellings lately, so I was all smiles when I got my hands on this one. My first thoughts: this is not as magical as I thought it might be. And that's a good thing. . .at least, as far as this tale is concerned.

The main character, Mackenzie, doesn't have a perfect life. Sure, she has people who love her and the bestie best friend ever, but her popularity is on the bottom and her family is battling issues, which would weigh anyone down. My favorite thing
Karla
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't really see the Cinderella retelling aspect other than the whole midnight thing and the shoes/Nike Flynits. It felt more like a genie granting wishes that went wrong for Mackenzie. Although the Bird Lady is supposed to be the fairy godmother, and Kenzie is the poor girl turned into "princess", the actual wishes/choice didn't have anything to do with the story of Cinderella by the Grimm Brothers, so that threw me off, but after getting past that, I got into the story and kept reading to f ...more
Mindy
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to get an eARC of this book! I am a huge fan of Courtney's books and a sucker for a fairytale retelling. Courtney does a fantastic job with this story. Mackenzie is an instantly likable character. Her humor and charm are catching. Oh, the funny lines that go through her head. As much as I enjoyed Mackenzie's character, Cale stole the show for me, though. He was a doll and so genuine. I loved it when he was around.

Mackenzie dreams of being a "lucky one", living on the top of S
Katie Tatton
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you had a chance to get everything you ever dreamed of, would you trade everything you already have? When Mackenzie Love gets the chance to try out her ideal life, she is surprised to learn that the big houses and the perfect nose (and even great health) have their downsides. A fun, modern twist on Cinderella that kept me coming back to my phone to read (which says a lot about the story because I'm old and prefer my books to have real live pages). Typical of the author, this book gets better ...more
Kim
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Young adult fiction you'd actually feel comfortable letting your teens read! A modern day twist on the Cinderella story. Interesting and likable characters in a sweet love story that also focuses on the importance of family, choosing good friends, and appreciating the blessings of the life you have even if it's not perfect.
Caroline
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet story! The friendship between Mackenzie and Aly was such a highlight for me. I love it when female friendship is celebrated and focused on. And what a dreamboat Cale turned out to be! This is a great, fun read. Added to the pleasantness my vacation, for sure!
Ella Olsen
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chasing Midnight was a happily-ever-after with depth. Mackenzie has to decide what makes her truly happy - the wished for life or her old life with warts and all. It's not easy to decide and the indecision kept me turning the pages to the very end!
Cheri
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I finally got around to reading this book. It is a modern day retelling of Cinderella, a book that shows the consequences of choices that were made by Mckenzie and the impact that they had on her family and friends. What a great book!
Natalie
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Always good to have a fluff book!
Amber
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Interesting take on "be careful what you wish for" with a bit of Cinderella thrown in.
Bel
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Slow start, great middle.
Rylee
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cinderella story!!!
imashamedofmyoldreviews
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2016
Amanda Williams
Dec 01, 2016

• Blüd and Magick
  • Guardians (Seers, #3)
  • The Siren's Secret (The Shapeshifter's Secret, #2)
  • Emerald City
  • Fractured Soul
  • Silence
  • The Temple Experience: Passage to Healing and Holiness
  • A Nothing Named Silas
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • The Meltdown Match
  • The Art of Baking with Natural Yeast: Breads, Pancakes, Waffles, Cinnamon Rolls and Muffins
  • Journey to the Veil
  • 29 (29 #1)
  • Out of the Ashes
  • Discovering Peace
  • Uncovering Cobbogoth (Cobbogoth #1)
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • The Mark
Courtney King Walker grew up in Walnut Creek, California building rocket ships and rafts out of cardboard just so she could go to the moon and Niagara Falls. But a trip across the border to Tijuana was as exciting as it ever got.

After being banned from the kitchen after a few too many catastrophes, she discovered a love for writing, music and art, and eventually earned her BFA in graphic design at