Start by marking “Desires and Dreams and Powers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Desires and Dreams and...

Rosamund Hodge

Desires and Dreams and Powers

"Truth," she said, "is stronger than magic."

Three sisters fall in love with the star their father holds captive in the basement.

Three brothers set out for the factory where gods are made.

Three young women meet and match wits with the beautiful, heartless forestborn.

In this anthology of twenty stories by NYT-bestselling author Rosamund Hodge—including three set in the world
ebook
Published January 20th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Desires and Dreams and Powers, please sign up.
Rosamund Hodge Alas, no—HarperCollins still has the rights for that story

Start your review of Desires and Dreams and Powers
Sherwood Smith
Aug 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy
On the YA fantasy front, author Rosamund Hodge has been making quite a splash with her moody, dark, intensely atmospheric reworkings of myths and fairy tales. So when I had the chance to review this collection, Desires and Dreams and Powers, I pounced.

As in her novels, Rosamund Hodge takes images and ideas from the classics and fairy tales as well as more modern works and refashions them into multifaceted stories short on wordcount but long on punch. You know, with titles like "And Her Eyes Sewn
Suzannah
This collection of short fantasy stories makes me kind of a little bit jealous, because Rosamund Hodge snatches awesome spec-fic concepts out of thin air and spins them into little tiny stories and then is done with them, and I can't help wishing she'd played in these worlds a little bit longer. There are a ton of stories here that stick with you, and a ton of recurring themes and echoes - fairytales, Greek myths, evil mothers, sisters with strong feelings for each other, choices, and nearly alw ...more
Medini
Available for free here:

A modern take on the story of Hades and Persephone, with more emphasis on Persephone's relationship with her mother, Demeter. Also this is the first book I'm reading in 2nd person pov.
Jeff Miller
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An impressive collection of loosely-themed short stories. So many of the interesting ideas could easily make for the background of full-length novels. Fairy stories with a tinge of horror to them which invokes the cautionary tales of older Fairy-stories. Held my attention throughout.
Connie P
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
2nd pov is typically hard to engage with for me but this felt strangely easy. Almost as if the author was able to make her writing fit into a second suit of skin - captivating and elusive this short story was a small pomegranate seed I had to have
Argie Maniati
Individual ratings and mini reviews/thoughts on the stories:

1. Desires and Dreams and Powers
4.5/5⭐
Beautiful!! I didn't expect the characters to be who they were!! And the 2nd pov was interesting!

2. Don't Look
3/5⭐
So creepy!!

3. Textual Variants
4/5⭐
Confusing at times but so, so good!!

4. And Her Eyes Sewn Shut With Unicorn Hair
4.5/5⭐
"No" was my reaction for most of the story😭 Loved it!!

5. Ways of Being a Mermaid's Daughter
4/5⭐
Sad for all these mermaids and their
daughters 💔 That last one though
Natália Lopes
"But it feels familiar, the warmth of his shoulder against yours, and you think this is what it was like, all those ages ago when you first kissed him and tasted pomegranates."

A gripping reimagination of the Persephone & Hades myth. Hodge really have a knack for retellings! This is so, so good! I could re-read this forever. Already favorited on my Tumblr so I can re-read anytime I want. Also, it surpassed "Cut Her Out In Little Stars" as my favorite tale, because I'm a sucker for Per
Keri
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you, I LOVE mythology of all kinds BUT one of my all time favorite stories was the story of Hades and Persephone. I LOVE when someone takes the two characters and runs with them and I LOVED this story! (Did I mention I LOVE this story?) Aghhh! This is my favorite short from Hodge YET!
This is the third short I've read from the tumblr page and I don't see me stopping anytime soon! Unless, and this is worst case scenario, I run out of shorts to read...
Claire Hill
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This collection of short stories is called Desires and Dreams and Powers; it might also be named Possibilities and Choices and Sacrifice. The myriad stories contained here are rich with description and imagination, full of girls who love deeply and make good and bad choices and live with the consequences. It got me from the word go, or in this case, “pomegranate juice.”
Kathleen Lightfoot
“‘I am lost and I am lonely,’ he said, and all the sorrow of the world was in his soft, hollow voice. ‘But with you I will be neither.’”

I’ve loved Rosamund Hodge’s work since I first read “Cruel Beauty,” so when I stumbled upon this short story collection, I had to read it. These stories were written over the past fifteen years of her career, so some are definitely better than others, as is to be expected with such a vast time frame.

While I enjoyed the book as a whole, there were some stories t
LiB
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escapism
An inventive collection of dark fantasy stories, many of which have more intriguing world-building in a few paragraphs than many manage in entire novels. But...
This author is preoccupied with the theme of dark bargains, often literally with malevolent powers, and the corrupting influence of the concessions people make for survival. Everything I‘ve read of hers returns to this theme - I can’t say of temptation, as the bargains are rarely seductive. Instead her heroines are always offered a stark
Brenna
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-authors
some of these are well-written, some are not. initially i wasn't crazy about the inconsistency, but then i found out in the author's note that they're collected from over the past 15 years of her career, and i can appreciate that.

you can tell she has a wild imagination and comes up with all sorts of worlds. sometimes they were well-constructed and digestible, while other times there were too many details squeezed into too few pages.

i liked:

- Ways of Being a Mermaid's Daughter
- Cut Her Out in Li
Adam
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These fantasy stories brim with a mature and exciting vision. Hodge’s storytelling is almost painterly: bold, full of stunning contrasts, unexpectedly emotional, a web of captured moments. The enchantment of her writing is complemented by an unusual depth of mythic understanding, an intuition for what is Really Going On at the primal core of reality (both super- and proto-human reality). It’s been ages since I read a new collection of fantasy stories so engrossing.
Sanalith
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to shy away from darker stories, but Rosamund Hodge always blows all my expectations out of the water. As with all collections, some stories were better than others, but all of them had her signature evocative prose that left me wishing she'd written even just a little bit more.

Brought to you by the Number One and the Letter D for my 2020 A-to-Z reading challenge.
Louise
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a really lovely collection; a couple were a bit vague for my liking, and there was one I didn't like at all, but mostly very enjoyable. I could easily see a couple of them as parts of longer stories, but they still felt complete. Really liked the fairytale feel of most of them.
Alison Sea
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars. This is the type of angsty second person that speaks to my inner angsty teen. I really liked this. Hades and Persephone retelling. As always, this could totally be expanded further.
Megan
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The thing I like the most about Hodge’s writing is that it’s familiar but exciting. I love that she twists old stories of comfort into something dark and disturbing so it feels brand new.
Suzanne
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Sometimes dark and creepy, reminiscent of the Brothers Grimm.
Lilienknochen
I can't even express how much I loved this collection of short stories. I'm calling it now: my favorite book of 2020.
My Bookish Delights
Hades and Persephone story. Really liked it.
Moira
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
9.2.2017 - 5*
(view spoiler)
Katlin
Dec 28, 2016 added it
If I knew more about Greek mythology, I probably would have figured out what she was retelling sooner, but I don't and didn't. It was still an interesting story involving alternative realities, lost love, and maybe, hopefully, a happy ending.
Megan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this and allow yourself to be plunged into eerily beautiful mythscapes. The stories are full of mysteries, heroes, tears, and hope. Reading this book reminds me of discovering real folklore and fairytales, and wondering why I'd ever thought I was satisfied with the sanitized versions.
Rebecca
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love modern Greek myths, and this take on Hades and Persephone was BEAUTIFUL! I loved everything about world created here, and I wish more than anything it was longer just so I could soak in it for longer.
Lucy Winton
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rewoven-tales
Rosamund Hodge doesn't just write stories. She weaves them from imagination, legend and myth.

My favourite story is the tale the book was named for: Desires and Dreams and Powers. That story has haunted me ever since I first read it on 'The Hanging Garden'.
Sam | Queen Hera
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hades and Persephone... What can I say.
Gabrielle Carolina
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
Chelsi
I absolutely love retellings, especially Greek myths, and this little short story did not disappoint
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • The Brush  of Black Wings (Master of Crows, #1.5)
  • Lucky Caller
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Honor Among Orcs (Orc Saga, #1)
  • A Fine and Private Place
  • This Cruel Design (This Mortal Coil, #2)
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 8
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • The Truants
Catholic. Writer. Lay Dominican. I write books about gods & death & girls with knives. Latest: ENDLESS WATER, STARLESS SKY.

Goodreads policies: I do read messages. I seldom friend people. I never comment on reviews of my own work.