Start by marking “Broken” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Broken

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Finalist for the 2015 Wishing Shelf Awards

And Death it calls as the stone crow breaks. Streaks of blood malform its face.
Death becomes its withered eyes and the shadows whisper, “Lies.”

When William, a young journalist, seeks out Elizabeth, an acclaimed author, in hopes to write her biography, the recluse grants him twenty-four hours to hear her story. What unfolds are a w
Paperback, First Edition, 312 pages
Published September 11th 2015 by Angela B. Chrysler

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.
Angela Chrysler Sorry for the late response :(
Sorry for the late response :(
That may be a sample you have. The eBook on a kindle is 4,712 virtual pages. I recommend checking the edition you have to confirm what you have isn't the sample.
(less)

☘Misericordia☘  ✺❂❤❣
Q: “I’ll give you until dawn. Whatever you ask of me, I’ll answer. Whatever you wish, I’ll consent.” (c)
Q:
Fear. In most people, it provokes a response to run. ... I will make you cum and then I will run. That is what I was trained to do. My brain is programmed this way. My body is conditioned this way. Fear is my trigger. This is what I am. Fear. This is what I have become. This is my defense. You asked for my story. I will tell you exactly how I came to be like this. (c)
Q:
Welcome to my nightma
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
1st Sept 2016 - I have this amazing book available in Ebook format to readers who will post reviews for it. Email booklovercatlady@gmail.com for a copy.

An astonishing and heartbreaking story based on true events that will take your emotions on a ride to hell and back. This is raw, powerful and not easy reading and is a book every sexual, physical, emotional, verbal abuse survivor will resonate with on the deepest levels. Angela becomes like a soul sister. At times I was stunned at events that c
sue
WOWSER

I have read some truly remarkable horrible stories based on facts over my time but this one is truly dark, full of mental and physical anguish, abuse and RAW emotions its tangible. You can feel it oozing out from its pages.

I am taking deep breathes here.

Its somewhat written as a memoir, but in other parts reads like a novel.
Except for the fact this was reality for the author.

There are advisory notes from the author:
If you yourself are disturbed by abuse and any of the violent abusive
Jules
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Broken reads like a novel, so may appeal to those who enjoy dark psychological fiction. This is just much harder to read because it hasn’t come from the dark imagination of the author, but her unpleasant and often shocking memories, making it impossible to distance yourself from the events in the book.

This is not light reading. You will not read this for enjoyment. You will get into the mind and soul of a broken woman. A woman who has been cruelly treated from a young age, by those closest to he
Angela Chrysler
Aug 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Six months later to the day that I finished Broken, I went back and read the paperback. In the aftermath, I only have a few things to say.

Broken was clearly written through the eyes of the author, myself, when I was most insane. My perception was off, the world was obscure, and I recorded it all. If you ever wanted to see the world through the eyes of a Dali painting, read Broken. If you ever wanted to step into the mind of Don Quixote, read Broken.

Psychologists are recommending it to peers for
Linda Strong
I read this one a few weeks ago. This was one of the hardest books I've ever read. It's not for everyone. There are explicit descriptions of rape, abuse, torture. These can be triggers for so many .. so be warned. I think the saddest thing is that this is a true story .. it's not like I could keep telling myself this is fiction. It's heart-breaking.

William is a journalist who hopes to write the biography of Elizabeth, a renowned author. When she finally agrees to his request, she gives him just
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
Oh my goodness, this is one of the hardest books I have ever read. Hardest, as in it took me a while to read as I kept having to put it down so I could get my head around what I was reading. Hardest, as in the subject matter’s really messed with my mind and hardest, as in sometimes I just couldn’t believe what I was reading.

Broken is Ms Chryslers memoir but it is written like a novel with the story being told through her protagonist—Elizabeth, in a kind of interview style in the present but we’r
Fatimah
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To Thine Own Self Be True.
I went through so many emotions while reading this book. It is definitely unlike any book that I have read in my entire life thus far. The material in this book is raw, blunt, detailed and most of all, interesting. The fact that this is a memoir hits me harder than the book itself. As a student studying Psychology, this has definitely helped me understand that different types of obstacles the character had to go through. The best thing about it was that it was not water
ella bianchi
**I received a free copy of Broken through the Read It & Reap program in the Goodreads group Making Connections**

If you want to talk about a rollercoaster of emotions, boy, was Broken one hell of a rollercoaster of emotions.

Based on a heartbreaking real-life story, Broken by Angela B. Chrysler was, while being difficult to read, probably the hardest I have, one of the rawest, deep, powerful, hopeful, and just incredible books I have picked up in quite some time. I do not regret the decisi
C.L. Schneider
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve put off this review for a while. Not as a reflection of the story. This is hands down a must read. I just wasn’t sure how to make you read it. Because this is one of the hardest books I have ever read. The warnings the author gives you are all true. She holds nothing back in the details. There are vivid scenes of abuse, neglect, rape, physical and emotional torture. Broken is graphic, shocking, raw, disturbing, intense, appalling, shameful, and so very, very sad. If this was fiction, I’d sa ...more
Angela Chrysler
Sep 08, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
This was the featured read for February 2016.

Alternate ending and Reader Questions now available at The Looking Glass.
Ms. Reader
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Timothy Bateson
A must read for anyone who has suffered abuse at the hands of others

Before I delve into the book itself, I have to commend the honesty, and selflessness off the writing, and the author herself.
Here is a book that takes you deep into the mind and life of someone who has chosen time and again to survive, despite the hardships, and abuse inflicted on her by others.
Having spent a large portion of my childhood escaping into my own world, to escape bullies in school, I can empathize to a degree with
Angi Dukes
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A person is not defined by their choices when the world is right, but by their choices when the world goes wrong."--Broken

Broken is hypnotic and addicting from the first page. I inhaled this book in one day. I found myself questioning my own judgements and feelings while reading this. I was concerned about it being intrusive, reading about the traumatic life of an abuse survivor. The author's direct, almost clinical descriptions were more impactful than if she had saturated the disturbing scene
Dawn
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Booklover Catlady Publicity in exchange for an honest review.

This book is disturbing. It's fascinating, gut-wrenching, tear-jerking, horrific... it needs to be read to be partly understood. I'm still trying to comprehend what I've read.
This will stay with me for a long time.
Bella
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I have to fall all over myself to make a disclaimer. Books that I work on via my Mia Darien Author Services, I have made a point of not doing reviews of. I don’t want any appearance of impropriety that I’m being “paid” for my reviews, since I never am except in free books, but Broken by Angela Chrysler is too powerful to not want to spread the word about.

So in being entirely up front, I worked on this book both in editing and formatting. None of this was for reviewing. In fact, she do
Misfits farm
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew that this would be a difficult read. Described in the prologue as a “true and raw” story of a life of abuse with some creativity “to keep it flowing”. A well written, well described book however something didn’t ring quite true to me. If these things had happened and this was as raw as the author says, then to me there is a passion or anger/vitriol lacking. Maybe it’s me? Maybe after so much abuse the writer is desensitised and can write these things as if they are happening to a fictiona ...more
Nicki Southwell
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For once, words fail me. I have such mixed feelings about this book that powerful, violent, abusive, negligent, torture and soul destroying are just some ways of expressing how it left me feeling.

William D. Shaw visits Elizabeth asking for an interview in order to write a biography. Surprisingly, she agrees to give him 24 hours and what follows is a frightening and almost unbelievable journey into her psyche. Her insanity is apparent to him after hours of her telling her story and revealing how
S.J. Hermann
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If there ever was a book that sends you down a dark corridor of a fractured woman’s mind, Broken would be it. It took my arm and dragged me into the personal hell of the stories main character, Elizabeth. I intended to read the first few pages, to get the feel for it, and before I know it, I was so engrossed in the story, I was on the fourth chapter before I knew it. I have to mention that this book is not an easy read. There are certainly triggers throughout. Rape, mental torture, animal cruelt ...more
Shannon
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from BookLover CatLady in return for an honest review, thank you.

I'll admit right from the start this is a gut wrenching book, showing how one negative in your life can just pave the way onto another then another.

All starting in her childhood Elizabeth wants contact, she doesn't get enough from her family so finds it in her cats.

The abuse she receives from her step brother just starts the road to constant pain. She tries desperately to be the hero to her cats, the
Barbara Tsipouras
As mentioned by other reviewers this is a very hard read and surely not for everybody. Angela claims that she wrote the book when she was the most insane - and it shows. This is the incredible opportunity to look into an insane mind and I wonder if it is at all possible to endure what she endured without being damaged and broken.
As a skilled author of fiction Angela is able to tell her story like a psychological thriller, but it is impossible to forget, that it is all real.
Angela is honest to t
Lavern Winters
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was totally absorbed into this fictionalization memoir. The sort of story based on a true story where the names have been changed to protect the innocent, except many were not innocent.
I've always had an interest in psychology, even from my teens. Why I didn't pursue that career is unknown to me, I should have. This woman's life story captured my heart. It helps to understand the things that go on in the mind of someone who has known nothing but a traumatic life since early childhood. I can s
Dustin
Sep 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Shelves: memoir, gut-wrenching

Maxine's review is one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking and hopeful (for there is always hope,) that I have ever read. Highly recommended. You can find it here:

Susanne Leist
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I read about Elizabeth's life story and the abuse she lived through, I had to keep reminding myself that the story is based on real life. The author explains in depth and vivid color the depths of depravity to which human beings can fall.
Life can serve us some bitter pieces of pie, and I have had my share. However, this author has eaten the whole pie. The fact that she has become the person she is today is amazing.
This book will haunt me. I am happy that I read it. The story gives us hope tha
Sionna
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
--I won this book in a goodreads giveaway --

This is a hard book to review for me, for a few reasons one being because I've never read a book like this. I tend to stay away from true stories or sad heart wrenching tales.

But also because, How does one explain liking a book yet hating it at the same time? Finding it entertaining yet wishing I was reading something else? --this is my dilemma.
The tragedies in this book are real and they read that way. There are times I felt like gagging or crying.
Joy Jennings
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken was and wasn’t what I was expecting.

Being a survivor of repeated sexual assault myself with my own story now told, I braced for what was coming; mental, physical and sexual abuse. It was all there.

I felt every disturbing emotion I expected to, but perhaps because I am now numbed from my own experiences, I wasn’t as shocked as others might be. I understood the nightmare, I could relate to the hell, I got that one becomes broken after these traumatic events, how could one not, I was desen
Nic
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow where to start with this one?! I've never read a book like this. It depicts the traumatic life of a girl/woman who has experienced grief, loss, abuse, rape, physical and mental ill health.

It is a gripping read, which however also makes you feel uncomfortable as each page describes another terrible experience for the main character.

That this is someone's actual experience makes the book all the more amazing because had this been fiction, I would have said it was far fetched and unbelievable!

I
Wendy
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a coupe of days ago. I had to take a few days to really process and think what I wanted to say about it. Broken is the real story of a woman that has lived a life filled with abuse. It is difficult to comment on the events of the story, as these are not works of fiction but someones raw and emotional story. I am very glad that I had a chance to read this book and read first hand the accounts of someone that also deals with mental illness. I think it is really hard to capture ...more
Jin
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing tends to describe many things. For me to say this story is amazing or that it rings true to me would be a terrible understatement. This book is dark, raw, and true. I would argue that the story within these pages will ring true with more people in the population than we would like to admit.
This story is not for the feint of heart. This story is not for people currently going through any mental issues as the demons it awakens are hard to put back down.
Within me, from my own personal lif
Liv
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for the faint hearted. A very difficult and uncomfortable read, if you're fine with this then I recommend it.

It is a raw recording of the author's harrowing life from early childhood to adulthood.

'Broken' is as the title suggests, a broken life full of shocking twists and turns. There is always another vile person appearing in her life.

This is as real as it gets and for that I was completely absorbed. You will feel the range of emotions she goes through, the fear, the anger,
« previous 1 3 next »
The Book Shelf: February 2016: Broken (Memoir/Horror) 1 3 Dec 29, 2015 11:51AM
The Book Shelf: AVBC February 2016 Read 1 1 Nov 25, 2015 07:41AM
The Book Shelf: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway! Three days left! 1 1 Oct 28, 2015 06:17PM
The Book Shelf: This topic has been closed to new comments. Broken Release Party 1 4 Sep 15, 2015 06:18AM
What is Broken? 1 5 Jul 09, 2015 07:14PM
  • Deep Night
  • Layla
  • Patchwork
  • Eden's Garden
  • The Secret Life of Winnie Cox
  • Tainted Crimson (Tainted, #1)
  • Static Push
  • Sister Psychopath
  • Baking Cupcakes in Egypt
  • Just Beyond the Garden Gate (Highland Gardens, #1)
  • Fae (Auri, #2)
  • Trapped
  • Under the Shadow of Darkness (Apprentice, #1)
  • A Mother's Secret: A beautiful, heartbreaking novel of love, loss and hidden tragedy
  • DeadBorn
  • Stirred with Love
  • The Summer of Secrets
  • Chocolate, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox, #4)

Love books + Subscribe = Get Free Stuff

Join our Mailing List!

New and seasoned members receive:

1 - A free PDF download of “To You” by Angela B. Chrysler
2 - A PDF Welcome Letter including a collection of our top rated articles
3 - Your choice of a free bookmark (US only)
4 - An 8-GB Flash drive (US only)
5 - A 20 minute tour of angelabchrysler.com with Bergen and Angela

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific
  • America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines
“As a child, all I saw were the monsters” 0 likes
“I learned my most priceless lesson of all from that place. I learned how to teach myself. ... Hand me a book and I could do anything.” 0 likes