Start by marking “Vanquished” as Want to Read:
Vanquished

Vanquished

A secret island. A sadistic society. And the woman who defies all odds to bring it down.
***
Yesterday, Valoria’s worst problem was getting her sister to school on time.

Today, she’s a slave in a perverse world.

And an even worse fate awaits her sister if Valoria can’t become a cold-blooded killer.

On a private island, the world’s most powerful people recreate their deviant fan
ebook
Published November 10th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Vanquished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanquished

Start your review of Vanquished
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2016
Well, that totally took me for surprise in a fabulous way! I absolutely LOVED this book! WOW!

Think Hunger Games meets Sparticus! Valoria wakes up in a strange place and is auctioned off to the highest bidder. There she must become a warrior, and fight for her freedom and the freedom of her sister, who has been sent off to be a sex slave. Valoria must meet multiple foes and fight to the death. She must also figure out a way to escape this horrible place with her sister.

I don't want to give too mu
Carrie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publisher-arc
Valoria awakens to find she has been kidnapped and being taken to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Her only concern is finding what has happened to her little sister and trying to get back to her so she tries to be bought from the person she thinks has her sister.

After the bidding Valoria is taken to a private island owned by the rich and sadistic. For a price those in charge can get their darkest desires, they hunt humans for game, attend gladiator-style fights, or participate in elabor
Siobhan Davis
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Valoria (not her real name) and her sister Lena are kidnapped and taken to a mysterious island where the rich and powerful rule supreme. If you are not one of the elite you are either a slave or a recruit/warrior. Valoria doesn't know where her sister is so she makes a deal with her captor Dominus and becomes his most prized warrior possession.

I was intrigued when I read the premise and couldn't resist requesting a review copy, even though I hoped it wouldn't be too gruesome. The themes are dark
Siobhan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanquished was an extremely enjoyable read. Whilst there were a few things I wasn’t quite content with, as a whole I had a lot of fun.

In my eyes, Vanquished is what happens when people try to create The Hunger Games in the real world. It is lacking the dystopian aspect, yet there is just as much death and destruction to be seen. I probably shouldn’t have been making as many comparisons to The Hunger Games as I was when reading this, yet it was extremely hard not to notice the parallels between t
Mellea
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. I was a little on the fence the first half, but boy did the second half redeem itself. Full of fighting, blood, guts, and pure evilness from the villains. Valoria started off a bit brash and unlikable, but in all fairness who wouldn't be in her situation. She completely grew on me and I loved the bonds and alliances she formed with her fellow gladiators/slaves. Great revenge story.
WTF Are You Reading?
Take every great gladiator movie that you have ever watched, make every kick-ass hero a heroine, add a dash of Caligula, and you have S. E. Green's awesome adult adventure, Vanquished.
At a time in both Adult and New Adult fiction when the hot and steamy romance reigns supreme. It is quite the refresher,when an author goes the extra mile to bring readers an action-packed, mile-a minute survival story, set on a fantastical Roman themed island.

Main character Volaria begins her journey toward heroi
Connected By Books
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
“No one is ever really free . . . “

WOW!!!! That’s all I can say about this action-packed thriller. Although I adored the blurb, I wasn’t sure the author will deliver, but she truly did. It’s one of those dark books that make you think and leave you with a sense of unease.

Vanquished tells the story of Valoria, not the heroine’s real name, and her quest to find her sister an ultimately escape from the place she’s held captive in. It’s not an easy task and Valoria has to do anything in her power t
Arely
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book surprised me. When I read the blurb, I thought that I wasn’t going to be into it. In fact, I purposefully postponed reading this book in favor of other books that I purchased. But once I read the first few sentences of this novel, I knew I’d be hooked.

With many books, I can tell by the first few pages if I’m going to be entranced in it. This book did that in just a few lines. The author so eloquently wrote the story that I forgot I reading a story. Many times I found mysel
Paula  Phillips
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this release , I was excited for two reasons - the first being the author as I loved her Spy Specialist series and also the first book in the Killer Instinct series . The second was the cover and the blurb. To me Vanquished is simply The Hunger Games meets Gladiator with the premise of Human Trafficking and Slavery. Every year thousands of boys and girls go missing and are trafficked , they are then sold off to the highest bid for the bidder's personal enjoyment whether it be fo ...more
E.A.
( I received this book free from the author in exchange for my honest review )

Holy hell, I am speechless. I don't think I have ever read a book like this and my head is still spinning.

This is a dark fantastic read that will have you on the edge of your seat. Right from the start I was gripped. I couldn't put this book down, I had to know what the hell was going on and I had to find out about Valoria’s sister. My heart is on the floor. I can't, I'm utterly speechless.

The writing was smooth, t
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

- - -

For a price, the world’s most powerful people can explore their darkest desires. On a private island hidden in the ocean they may hunt humans for game, attend gladiator-style fights, participate in elaborate orgies, and freely indulge in all the deadly sins within the cosplay of ancient times.

Abducted from their life in Miami, Valoria and her younger sister wake up in this secret society, wherein Valoria is condemned to the fights and her sister i
Booknista
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm still thinking about Vanquished by S.E. Green. It reminds me of Fantasy Island, Hunger Games and Spartacus. I stand by that assessment.

It had all the elements that make a story so addicting for me. Where do I start? There is just too much to tell. Let's go...

There's this private island, Saligia, where rich people pay to cosplay like old time Romans. They have the warrior training houses (ludus), sex slaves, house slaves, slave auctions, and this horrible thing called The Hunts, an organized
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy for an honest review.

Vanquished is a really unique novel, one that you wont want to miss reading. I loved that it was set in current times but then you felt like you reading a gladiator time period story because of the circumstances. This book is full suspense, action, heart-break and fight. This is not just fight in the physical sense but in the emotion one too.

Valoria wakes up and she is in a place she does not recognize, surrounded
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
Vanquished is a story of two sisters forced into slavery. One as a sex slave another as a fighting warrior. But Valoria is only fighting so she can rescue her 15 year old sister. This book spoke to me on so many levels. Valoria's fight and determination to do anything to find her sister is awe inspiring. She's strong and fierce and has no intentions on backing down.
I was thoroughly impressed with the writers thought process. With her character development and the overall feel to this new world c
Herman
OK solid effort not badly written, action adventure with the emphasis on action, Sword and Sandal slave ancient-Romish like sage but it's not, so can't give it anything more than three stars. This Book is done in the style of Barry Sadler's Eternal Mercenary series like male fantasy blood gore and sex run amok has some actually quite dark moments, which surprised me it's less expected of women writers to embrace the darkness of the human soul but S.E. Green used this story to pull up some rather ...more
Stephanie Ward
'Vanquished' is a New Adult thriller with a very intriguing premise - men and women are taken to a hidden island and then auctioned off to the highest bidder. Some of those taken are turned into warriors who fight one another, others are made into sex slaves, and several other "positions" for the rich visitors who come to the island to fulfill their twisted dreams and desires. Our main character, whose name is changed to Valoria when she's brought to the island, is stubborn and has a defiant tem ...more
K.M. Montemayor
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
This is a buddy read with the fabulous, B. Truly. I became interested in this because the blurb sounded similar to a book my friend, B. Truly is writing, Temptation Trials. The premise is similar; however, the reasons behind the society are completely different.

It begins with a character re=named Valoria, who finds herself abducted along with a group of other abducted people. They all have one thing in common: no extended family to look for them when they go missing.

The society they find themsel
Alicia
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one heck of a book. I don’t think my stomach ever stopped turning.

It’s as brutal as it sounds, and in fact worse, but not as bad as it could have been. It’s the most evil and sinful sort of society but I think Green is a bit lenient with it. (Well, as in serious injury and death count.) In any case, it’s not for the faint of heart. It’s creatively gory, pretty much throughout.

I did like all the secrets, lies, and manipulations. You never knew whether something would turn out to be good
Chelsea Cooper
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from a giveaway on Instagram from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

So I read S.E. Green's The Killer Instinct series and I really enjoy her writing style. Detailed without being too flowery and her characters just have this depth that is really intriguing. I saw her description of this book on Instagram and thought it sounded interesting if not a little horrific. From the description, I was sort of imagining The Hunger Games but with more brutal killing
Michelle Austin
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

Vanquished from S.E. Green is a 4 star read.
Dark and Twisted ~ Warning: For mature audiences only

Valoria and her sister Lena are kidnapped and taken to a mysterious island. Valoria wakes up in a dungeon with several other women but her sister is gone. She finds herself being auctioned off to the highest bidder. She doesn't know where her sister is so she makes a deal with her captor Dominus and becomes a warrior for him.

Valoria’s training with her father gave her the skills she needed to become
Maia Gomez
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A truly gripping, dark and twisted read! I loved this book! Definitely not for the faint of heart, I actually love dark and sadistic books, so this one fulfilled quite a few of my psychotic desires! While it elaborates on some dark topics, it wasn't too gruesome and explicit though. The storyline was very original, the characters were extremely complex and the emotions were intricate and palpable. Fast-paced and with plenty of plot twists, I was absolutely enthralled from the very first page and ...more
Stephanie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved this story and it's cast of characters. It's brutal, unforgiving and shows the horrors of what other humans can do to others. It's not an easy read and had me cringing many times but behind that was a story of survival, friendship and love. I adored the cast of characters. Each one (even the unlikeable ones) held a piece of my heart.
Valoria (not her real name) was an incredible heroine; strong, courageous and loyal. She would do anything for the ones she cares for and is the type of lea
Erica
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my attention from the start. I couldn’t put it down. It does have demented moments for sure ,but not all the time . One of the better books I have read in a long time and I payed a 1 on kindle . Was worth way more than that .
Cynthia
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I met this author at a book club after reading Killer Instinct, which is an YA book and very good. This is her first adult book and it was dark, mysterious, and action packed. It surprised me on so many levels and the story was unexpected. This is the kind of book that makes you sit on the edge of your seat, grit your teeth and pull for the underdog. Characters were strong and well developed. Great job Shannon! I can't wait for the next one.
KPKnupp
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strong female character fighting for her life, family, and freedom. Pulls you into the story and captures every part of you. It's disturbing and detailed. You see every second of this gut wrenching action packed thriller. Amazing all the way to the end!! loved it all. You must read it!
Sara
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this ARC from the author's website giveaway.

This book grabs you from the beginning and gives you an awesome read! It is action packed. I couldn't put the book down. I highly recommend this book.
Jennifer Coffman Love
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Vanquished is terrifying, gory, action packed, exciting ... And pretty dark. It is a page turner.
The Glassed And The Furious
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kimberlie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, survival
Exciting, gory, and shocking, this story kept me entranced from beginning to end.

Saligia. An acronym of the seven deadly sins in Latin. That's the name of the Island that Valoria and her younger sister Lena is kidnapped, drugged, and taken to. The rich and elite have turned an island into a reproduction of an ancient Roman city. Their victims, children, teens, and young adults, are turned into fighters, house slaves, and sex slaves.

“My name’s Camille,” the woman tells me. “I was assigned to car
Gadine
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Vanquished by S.E. Green - Starting June 3rd 2016 15 12 Jun 04, 2016 03:43PM

• The Girls They Stole (The Auction Trilogy #1)
  • I Am Elle
  • One Last Child (Tallman's Valley Detectives #1)
  • The Suicide Killer (Killers Among Book 2)
  • Cold Truth (Ellie Kline Series Book One)
  • The Girls They Lost (The Auction Trilogy #2)
  • The Strangler (Killers Among Book 1)
  • Winter's Rise (Winter Black #4)
  • Winter's Curse (Winter Black #2)
  • Winter's Secret (Winter Black #6)
  • Winter's Redemption (Winter Black #3)
  • Winter's Mourn (Winter Black #1)
  • Winter's Ghost (Winter Black #5)
  • Winter's Storm (Winter Black #8)
  • Winter's Web (Winter Black #7)
  • Edge of Collapse (Edge of Collapse #1)
  • Elle Unleashed: A Gripping Psychological Thriller with a Twist
  • The Room Upstairs
Things you should know about me: I write novels! Some have won awards. Others have been bestsellers. Under Shannon Greenland (my real name) you’ll find spies, adventure, and romantic suspense. Under S. E. Green (my pen) you’ll find dark and gritty fiction about serial killers, cults, secret societies that do bad things, and whatever else my twisted brain deems to dream up. I’m on Instagram, Twitte ...more