Jump to ratings and reviews

Akira and Deane Thriller #1

Out of the Shadows

Nothing is ever what it seems...
Don't turn your back on anyone or anything...

Akira is a dangerous man, a man who has lost everything and has nothing to lose. Fuelled by the death of his beloved wife Madeline and desperate to seek revenge on those who took her from him, Akira is on a mission, a mission to rid the world of the corrupt West and everything it stands for and he has one man set in his sights.

Thomas Deane, a fiercely loyal MI6 agent and one half of an elite partnership he is everything Akira despises - a patriotic man devoted to the service of his country, no matter what the cost.

Assisted by the brave S.U.C.O. agents (Special Undercover Covert Operations) the elite MI6 team, are completely unaware of what lies ahead. Will they succeed in bringing Akira out of the shadows?

231 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 8, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tim Jopling

2 books27 followers
www.timjopling.com

My name is Tim Jopling and I love any spy and espionage books, TV, or films! People always say you write about what you know and although I've never had any personal experience (I've worked in the IT sector for 16 years!) I've read a lot of novels (you can't really beat the original Ian Fleming novels in my opinion) and watched as many TV shows and films as I possibly can. I'm a big James Bond fan (not the spoofy ones, my favourites are the grittier ones with Daniel Craig and Timothy Dalton is my favourite Bond - nothing to do with the name mind you!) and loved all the seasons of 24.

There were a number of things that made me want to try writing. I remember several years ago when I watched one of the Mission Impossible films and a James Bond film, both of which were so poor I was convinced I could write something better! Around the same time I remember a scene in 24 with a minor character (Paulson - anyone remember him?) that really hit a note with me and got the creative juices flowing! Whether I've written anything better remains to be seen but I have so much fun writing stories with the Olsen and Deane characters (and the supporting characters too). I'm now working on the next novel in the series (Double Cross) which will be released early 2016 and the fourth title (Judgement Calls) later on that year.

Thanks to everyone that has reviewed my writing, its been great to see my work on Amazon and receive feedback. It really is invaluable and plays a big part in shaping my writing. Thanks for reading!

www.timjopling.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
18 (10%)
1 star
5 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Catherine Townsend-Lyon.
Author 2 books107 followers
September 13, 2015

"Out OF The Shadows" is a thrill ride you won't soon forget! Tim does a fantastic job with this thriller and action packed story line and introduces you to the main characters with ease. But when the story takes off? You'll keep reading and turning pages until dawn! Great Series.

Author, Catherine Lyon
2 reviews
October 2, 2015
An exciting and thrilling read, both book 1 and book 2. It was very descriptive and gave me a good insight into the characters and places. I found that I wanted to read more after Book 1, and Book 2 certainly did not disappoint! I recommend these books and am looking forward to more from this series and author.
1 review
April 6, 2016
Wonderful book! I haven't read such a thriller in a long time. I had to force myself to put it away and get some work done! the plot is well thought out and intriguing. However, I thought the ending was a bit rushed, making Olsen look demented and out of control. cant wait to read more of this saga!
Profile Image for Quentin Feduchin.
346 reviews6 followers
September 14, 2018
On the whole, I liked this book - enough to order the second in the series, Underground Murmurs.
How believable it is, might be another matter. Seems there is this fellow who is entirely ruthless, who has managed to kill hundreds of British, American, French, and God knows what other government agents. Could one man cause such havoc without being discovered? I don't know; indeed one has to become aware that one really doesn't know much.
At 77 I can now say I have been an avid reader for 70 years! That must mean something; mostly that, apart from many 'classics', I've read a whole lot of 'other' shit: detectives - UK and Yanky, even Aussie; thrillers, chick-lits (guess what they are..) What I can say is that I've learned tons from hundreds of authors; gun-stuff, sex-stuff, big men; agile, useless, 'clever', idiots, big-headed.. you name it. What I've learnt is I still don't know much, algthough I attempt to write a little here and there..
My favourites are Lee Child, Carl Hiaasen, Donald Westlake, Lawrence Block, David Baldacci, plus many others. I think Tim Jopling might manage to join them, just by developing characters more. I'm not sure it's necessary to offer quite such a wide target as taking over the world; as Akira seems to wish for..
I think the two things that make good books are: good prose (old fashioned?), and making it a 'slow burner': that's a book that develops like a forest fire: slowly, becoming an inferno at the end. I think Tim's book is a fairly steady 'burner' and can develop into an interesting series.
114 reviews
September 5, 2020
I really enjoyed the authors writing style and would have given this a good rating until I came to the last page and found that the story continued on in a second book by this author. I find this type of writing underhanded and wish that this type of book not be sold. This author is good enough to be featured in book stores with a large number of titles in different books, not using this method of attempting to get a second book sale if the reader wants to know how book 1 finished. I really wonder if the 2nd book does the same thing as the 1st? I will never know because I will not buy the 2nd title and that is too bad.
1 review
January 28, 2020
Out of the Shadows was a great surprise. I am an avid reader of Daniel Silva and David Baldacci and was looking for another espionage/CIA book to read while awaiting their latest novels.
What I found was a jam-packed spy novel full of intrigue, that leaves one wondering just how bad one human being can be to another, i.e. Akira. Politics, as usual, are corrupt from the upper echelon down through the ranks. I could not wait for the story to end, but was not disappointed that a second book would follow the lives of Akira, Deane and Olsen.
89 reviews2 followers
February 7, 2019
Murder is boring....

I've found that reading a murder mystery, or having one read to me (Text to Speech) puts me to sleep; I missed several chapters one afternoon. Give me a good case of espionage any day; FBI, CIA, MI6, etc.
Profile Image for Ernesto Oporto.
77 reviews4 followers
February 7, 2017
Boring, repeating the same stuff, too much interior monologue, violence for the sake of violence, characters do not feel real.
Profile Image for Nyssy.
1,688 reviews
September 7, 2019
One forgotten again in my kindle. Confused me with the dead wife talking to him 🤔. The story didn’t “grab” me.
Profile Image for Rajalakshmi Prithviraj.
Author 2 books31 followers
October 11, 2015
Tim Jopling's Out of the Shadows gave me a glimpse of the life of spies. The thrill, the adventure and the dangers associated with them were all brought out well.

What touched my heart was the way human relationships have been depicted in this story. Be it Deane and Olsen, Kurt and his wife, Drake, Akira and Madeline, all the characters bring out the beauty of emotions in their relationships in every scene that they are present. Deane and Olsen, and Akira and Madeline are the two sets of people to watch out for.

The book is rapidly paced, however, there were a few questions I couldn't find answers to and which is why, as much as I wished, I could not give it a 5 star. Firstly, Akira was meant to be the perfect antagonist for Deane, yet, there was something amiss. I loved to love Deane but couldnt bring myself to hate Akira. Secondly, Akira and Madeline shared a very beautiful relationship and it was obvious that Madeline dominated, but what made her control Akira so even after her death, was a question left unanswered. There was a slight reference to Patrice and Martine, but the question lingers on with regards to the reason for Akira's actions.

As is said, a journey of thousand leagues begins with a single step. I am a reviewer and not a critic, hence, I am sure the next book in this series will make up for all the minor issues. This book has all the X-factor that is required, an awesome theme, well etched characters, visual imageries, but for me, the way the mistakes were made by expert spies in this story, somehow let down the plot. Except for Deane and Olsen, to some extent, the other spies were found to be a bit wanting.

However, to sum up, the book does manage to keep you hooked on except for  a few glitches, which I am sure, were totally unintentional.

P.S- I will definitely read the second book in the series as Tim is truly an author to watch out for, in the long run.
Profile Image for Ted Tayler.
Author 55 books245 followers
October 11, 2015
“Terrific”

A high octane thriller from the top drawer. Can't wait to read the next story. Topical, fast-paced and well observed.
Profile Image for Barb VanderWel.
1,813 reviews24 followers
September 2, 2018
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.