Start by marking “Give Yourself Away” as Want to Read:
Give Yourself Away

Give Yourself Away

One guy intent on caution. One an adrenaline junkie. Love could be one risk too many.

March is determined to lose the numbness that accompanies a history of loss and blame. Desperate to feel somethinganythingthe adrenaline junkie base jumps off cliffs, soars on hang gliders, and embarks on dangerous sea-borne rescue missions. But any release he feels is fleeting, and when

Published February 9th 2016 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Give Yourself Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Yourself Away

Start your review of Give Yourself Away
Baba
2.5 stars. Review posted December 16, 2015

photo oie_131049453M2n994v_zpsjk5c09ww.gif

March might usually look and sound like a confident guy, but his hands shook as he tried to open a box of lube. He ended up ripping the box apart.
Eras a lesson for whats to come, when things dont open up on the first attempt, dont resort to brute force, Caleb said.
Volume seven, rimming is, Caleb blurted. Jedi definitely you are. Master of everything. He stared down at March who stared up at him with a ridiculously pleased expression. Smug is not
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~DNF~

Please look at the tags: This book contains difficult flashbacks of child abduction and sexual violence.

I enjoy Elsborg's work. I loved both of her Fall or Break books, even though they're heavy on the angst.

But I was not prepared for this one.

Let me firmly say: That is NOT the author's fault. She DOES include a warning.

The writing here is spot-on. And there IS a HEA (yes, I peeked at the epilogue).

I read the first few chapters, skimmed through the middle, and decided that I couldn't
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
HEED THE WARNING!

This book will not be for everyone. Just take a gander at the ratings thus far. To be completely honest, I had my doubts going in, but (a) I really have come to love Elsborg's writing over the last year and (b) the part of perseverance and never giving up on love appealed. I will also say that my job undoubtedly has inured me to childhood sexual abuse, so take this next bit with the proverbial grain of salt-I did not think there were any explicit mentions of the abuse but it is
Bev
5 stars from me. Wellyou can see by the warnings that the author/publisher gives that this is a story of child abduction and sexual abuse BUT ultimately, at the end of the day for me at least, this is a story of incredible HOPE. Of 2 children and eventually one mans bravery, resolve, grit and determination not to give up and give in, to be able to live the life that he chose, to escape the confinement and the sexual and drug abuse hed been subjected to for 12 years, and break free from the life ...more
Alona
4.5 stars.
I just love Barbara Elsborg!
Yep, simple as that.
I enjoyed her books way back in 2012, when I started reading m/f romance, and when I moved on to m/m romance in 2013 (gosh, has it really been that long?) and found out Elsborg also writes m/m erotic-romance, I was so happy to realize I love here writing in that genre too!

There are few things that I love in her books-

1. Is that I love the UK and her stories are not only very British, but some of them are in a specific place called
Dia
2,5 stars

I've read the warning and I knew what I was getting myself into, but I can't say it got to love it. Actually it seemed to drag and I wanted to give up many times. If I wouldn't be so determined to finish each and every book I start, I think I would have put it aside and never return to it.

The first half of the book was so full of unnecessary scenes and details. I just wanted Caleb and March to realize who the other is.
At first all the painful flashbacks didn't make sense. Until they
Ula'ndi Hart
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall book rating: 4.25 Stars
Audio book: N/A
Book cover: 4 Stars

Dont read this if you are easily upset or offended read the warnings!

This is my second Barbara Elsborg and Ive decided it will not be my last. I like her writing style and I like the dark aspect in her books. Dont misinterpret! Im not some crazy person who condones child kidnapping and molestation/rape!
Im just a FICTION READER who can appreciate realistic hard topics and the HEA that come from them. This story is not for
Katerina
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful book. Full of dreams, love and miracles. It was my first book by Barbara Elsborg. And it will not be the last.

This time I'm so glad I followed my feelings. The beautiful cover made me curious. The story is exceptional. Dark yet hopeful. In any case recommended.
The problem of child abduction and abuse is serious. But nothing that does not happen.
The story reminds me of Natascha Kampusch ...
The author has demonstrated great skills to handle this delicate subject with appropriate tact
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Too hard for me to read. I don't do well with anything child abuse related.
I~❤️~Books
I'm glad I read this book! It is true, some pages are hard to read but the end was so beautiful. It is a story that I will not easily forget... I would love to read Jasim's story.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I love this author so was really looking forward to reading this one, her M/M's are fantastic reads. Although I enjoyed this story I found some of the plot devices a bit unbelievable and too coincidental, while I appreciate that this is fiction and anything is game there has to be a certain amount of plausibility and for me that just didn't ring true with this book. I loved the way the author went for the dark side, she certainly delivered and while I appreciate the story sometimes less is more. ...more
Christy
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle, m-m, arc
"Caleb longed for someone to hold him, to brush the floppy hair from his eyes, tell him everything was going to be all right, and for it to really be all right. But everyone whod ever done that for him had either died or lied to him, left or hurt him. So it had to be his fault, didnt it? He was the common denominator. There had to be something about him that was inherently unlovable."

I have no personal frame of reference in terms of being a young child, kidnapped, and abused. Since I was an
Lisa The Novel Approach
I had Give Yourself Away sitting on my Kindle for a while before I got around to reading it. For some reason I keep convincing myself that I dont want to read books that are on the darker end of the spectrumthat is, until I actually read the book and then realize, once again, that those are usually the books that end up being my favorites.

I absolutely adored this book! Now, I was completely and utterly confused at first, and was sure I must have missed something right at the beginning that was
Alisa
Not for me. Too much.... Too many plot twists. Too much drama. Too much suspension of reality needed. Full review to follow.
Jacque
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Barbara Elsborgs stories a while back. Tragic pain, wounds to be healed, and a HEA are the combinations that do it for me. Of course when I read the blurb for Give Yourself Away, I saw all that happening. March trying to numb pain, Caleb with a dark past, March rescues Caleb, attraction, passion, drama, romance, HEA. Yes, I could see these two fitting the bill for what Ive come to expect from Ms. Elsborgs books. The blurb, however, did not prepare me for how bad it was going ...more
Pjm12
Despite the warnings and the dark themes, ultimately, this is a romance novel. I was able to read the flashback scenes, knowing there would be some happiness here, some reward for all the sadness, the darkness, and the growing horror of Caleb's past.

But had I known that reveal at about 70%, I am sure my reading would have been quite different. Not worse, just different. I can't believe I didn't guess. I suspect I was still focused on the kidnapping, not the future.

Anyway, it took a while to
Sylvia
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 stars

Damn this book was heartbreakingly beautiful .
The story made me feel happy/sad because of the emotional rollercoaster ride it took me on .

I needed a lot of tissues reading this.
While a lot of books have flashbacks which I dont like that much
The flashbacks in this book just kept me going I wanted to know when he would get out and get his HEA .

Before reading this book beware of:
Warning: This book contains difficult flashbacks of child abduction and sexual violence, but also the incredible
Maxine Denton
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I know all about the problems other readers have had with suspending belief because of all the coincidences in this story, but do it. It's fiction. And it's still a lovely story with two very hot, broken men, with Barbara Elsborg's unique way of fixing them. Loved it.
Riina Y.T.
It pains me to say that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted, or thought I would.

A long time ago I came across Every Move He Makes and it's still one of my all time favorite reads. As is Bloodline. Barbara's writing style is quite addictive and she's got a bunch of awesome guys in her repertoire, there is no doubt about that! Zac and Logan, Micah and Inigo, Ezra and Roman? Yeah, exactly.

March Durant is one of them awesome guys!

I truly, truly loved March. Caleb on the other hand?
Hm.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Reviewer's note: I almost didn't read this book because of the warning at the front of it: "This book contains difficult flashbacks of child abduction and sexual violence...." However, I read it because this is an author who has never let me down. I won't lie and tell you it wasn't hard getting through it, but I'm also not sorry that I read it.

GUTTED...emotionally exhausted, and my brain won't stop looping back through this story, however
Love Bytes Reviews
4.5 Heart Review by Amber

This book was unlike anything Ive ever read before. More often than not with stories as dark as these the victims involved are hopeless, incredibly damaged and the pain usually outweighs any of the hope. With this story that wasnt the case. There is no denying that this is a very dark and very painful story but Ive never read characters so incredibly hopeful after enduring such unimaginable pain. The perseverance really struck a chord with me and made this story
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
DNF @ 75%

Ugh.

This book.

Annoyed the shit out of me.

For as heavy as the angst is in this book, and come on I freaking love angst, this just didn't have the right angst.
Let me explain that.
With any book, I crave angst, I crave breathing in the words that are going to destroy my world and then lift me up in the end.
Books like Split or like Rock where a separation btwn the 2 MCs (and this is no matter the consequences because every book is different) is felt right to the marrow of your bones.

Ruthie Taylor
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is an intense read all the way through. It slips from the past to today in ever increasing frequency and I got the twist fairly quickly, but the reveal worked well, and was beautifully handled. Actually the whole story is surprisingly beautiful - given the subject matter and the long term impact of it on the protagonists.

This is undoubtedly a romance, but as with many of Ms Elsborg's books, the reader is treated to
Kara
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
So I will start of this review with a warning... There are parts in this book that will be hard for some to read in this book, I know they were very hard for me and some that I just could not read.

Okay well this book I just do not know how to explain exactly how I felt about this book... So I will try without giving away too many spoilers. The first part of this book was just ugh I cried so much for these boys. Then there was the second part of this book which I have to be honest and say was
Kristalia
Final Rating: 4/5
Verdict is guilty. Sentence is he looked into Calebs eyes, a lifetime of you.

This is one really, really heavy, dark and painful to read book with a reward of a happy ending and a lot of suspense. It shows that there is hope even after you lost it or barely hanged on to it, even when everything threats to swallow you whole and that sometimes the world is small (i should know, i have plenty stories to tell how people i know knew each other).

Be aware of the warnings for this
Veronica of V's Reads
This book has a warning that indicates child kidnapping, child molestation and child sexual slavery are parts of the plot. Heed that warning.

Caleb and March are two gay men, Caleb is out, March, not. They are in their mid-to-late-20s and have each survived some horrors. As a result, March wants to live each day to the fullest, while Caleb is cautious.

They meet when Caleb falls through a crevasse into an ocean cave and March defies his superior to dive into the tumultuous waves and rescue him.
Andrea Goodell
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read a book by this author, I really have no idea what Im getting, except that it will be well written, thought provoking and well just brilliant. And this one is no different. As the disclaimer that comes with the book tells us, we start with two best friends being kidnapped at eleven years old. And yes, we are told a little about what happens but not in any great detail and not graphic. Things like he had rough sex with me We dont get the details of said rough sex. So if your on ...more
Carly
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samhain
Give Yourself Away contains several potentially disturbing elements, including physical and sexual abuse of a minor, that the author didn't describe in graphic detail, which I appreciated. Told in a series of scenes that shift between the past and present, instead of finding the balance between too much and not enough, the story erred on the side caution. The result is a cast of one-dimensional characters that are difficult to connect with emotionally and a plot that lacks credibility, ...more
Tammy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't recognize each other. Not even a hint. March was 14 and Calab was 11 and they are best friends so I would have thought they would have "seen" something in each other.

This is a very emotional book on both guys. Dealing with the abduction and all the aftermath was hard to read. I loved how each guy never gave up on love and being loved!
HarbingerOfSilence
Hm, this one is difficult to describe. I think the reason that I didn't stop reading at a certain point was that I really wanted to know what happened to Baxter and then Tye. I wanted to know that they were okay. I needed to know they were okay.

The bits in between were the ones that really annoyed me. How can people be so clueless? I had to suspend my disbelief a few too many times.
Also, I am not an expert and I hope and believe that overcoming an ordeal like Tye's is possible, but I really
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • King Me (Forever Wilde, #7)
  • Rare (Roads, #2)
  • Auctioned (8392, #1)
  • Stranded (Auctioned, #2)
  • The Twelfth Knight (Guardians of Camelot, #1)
  • Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Worth Keeping
  • Henri (Confessions, #5)
  • The Fence And Then The Trees
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Bailey (Confessions, #6)
  • Halo (Fallen Angel, #1)
  • Absolution (The Protectors, #1)
  • The Prisoner (Broken: Season One, #1)
  • Saving Silas
  • Only Love (Only Love, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
Barbara Elsborg lives in Kent in the south of England. She always wanted to be a spy, but having confessed to everyone without them even resorting to torture, she decided it was not for her. Volcanology scorched her feet. A morbid fear of sharks put paid to marine biology. So instead, she spent several years successfully selling cyanide.

After dragging up two rotten, ungrateful children and