Start by marking “The Art of Coming Home” as Want to Read:
The Art of Coming Home

The Art of Coming Home

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The evidence is compelling: the overwhelming majority of people returning from a period living or working abroad find returning to their home culture more difficult than adjusting to the foreign culture. Expecting that home will be the way it was when they left, most returnees are shocked to discover that both they and their home have changed. Indeed the differences betwee ...more
Published May 8th 2001 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Coming Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Coming Home

Sean
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All JETs and anyone living overseas.
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was really useful for a bit of perspective on the process of coming home and reverse culture shock. The edition I read seemed a little dated, as it only referred to the Internet ONCE (I have no doubt that nowadays the best way to counter reverse culture shock is to keep in touch with people via the Internet!) but nevertheless it was quite an interesting read. Really glad that I was able to squeeze this one in in the week before I return to America from Japan.
Mark Benedict
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh, Craig, only mildly helpful. What if you're going to a new place in your home country? Spend some more time on the def. of home please.
Alaine
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I'd recommend to anyone returning to their "home" country after living abroad for many years. It really guides you through what to expect in terms of adjustment and reverse culture shock. Informative and well researched.
Ashley
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was underwhelmed by this book. Mostly common sense, a few good ideas in terms of helping to prepare for the return, but very specific for people who are returning to a job they left and were still working for overseas. Some good information for spouses and children and then a few chapters for others, but also not really helpful. Might need to write my own book to improve on this!
Gwen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, repat
I'm ambivalent about this book. It was recommended to me as the best resource for secular repats. (So much of the material for repats assumes we've been overseas doing mission work!) The first few chapters are really reassuring; they describe the issues and feelings of repatriation very accurately, which was just so comforting, because it's really easy to feel like you're an irrational freak. Some good bits I highlighted:

"What happens, then, when you come home? Wherever you turn, you are confron
Ian
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super important book. Absolutely, must read for ex-pats, before and after they go on an assignment. This book has nailed so much of the pain, frustration and anxiety I have felt. I am going to work really hard to make sure that at least my boss reads some of the highlights, because I've been unable to express it as clearly or I felt as if it were just *my* problem.
Pat Roseman
This is an excellent book for those who have been living overseas and are "coming home." It deals with most, if not all, of the issues related to re-entry. I highly recommend it for missionaries, military personnel, aid workers or anyone who has lived overseas for longer than a year.
Juliette
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: school, 2016
Last semester, I was studying abroad in Mexico, and coming back to the US, there were a lot of feelings I could t put a name to. However, Storti seemed to know what I was going through, and it was a great relief knowing that others experience the same things I did/still am.
Karetchko
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: former expats
I was so thrilled when I found out that this book exists. At the time, I had spent several months going through the process of reverse culture shock. I knew there was a name for the phenomenon, but not that there was a whole book on the topic.
Susan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Have some insights when visiting or moving stateside.....but most topics I had already worked through
Megan Kelly
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
After travelling several months overseas, I found this book helped prepare me for some of the feelings and interactions I didn't expect upon returning home.
Darcey
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yet another stellar book on relocation, and the especially tricky topic of repatriation. I took loads of notes.
Minna
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm shocked that this book has been reviewed as "outdated" - I thought it a fabulous & invaluable resource, with comprehensive advice for all types of expat-to-repat experiences. So glad I read this!
Jody Grant