Start by marking “The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)

The Last Mile

(Amos Decker #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  48,858 Ratings  ·  3,369 Reviews
Convicted murderer Melvin Mars is counting down the last hours before his execution--for the violent killing of his parents twenty years earlier--when he's granted an unexpected reprieve. Another man has confessed to the crime.

Amos Decker, newly hired on an FBI special task force, takes an interest in Mars's case after discovering the striking similarities to his own life:

Hardcover, Large Print, 644 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Mile, please sign up.
Kathy I think reading them in order will enhance your appreciation of Amos Decker. There is some growth in his character (as far as re-learning emotional…moreI think reading them in order will enhance your appreciation of Amos Decker. There is some growth in his character (as far as re-learning emotional intelligence) that you'll pick up on if you read them in order.(less)
Joanne Tansey yes that's what I want, Questions to use for my book club meeting/discussions

Phrynne
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I am new to this author having only read a rather weak Christmas story by him prior to reading Memory Man and now, The Last Mile. If these two books are any indication of the rest of his stuff then I have a lot of reading enjoyment ahead of me.
Amos Decker is a brilliant character, a man with a perfect memory, imperfect social skills and no tact and yet is still very likable. I enjoyed his team mates too especially as they seem to understand him and let him be who he is.
The book is immensely rea
Bibi
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, thriller
Compulsive reading!
Luffy
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Last Mile's plot is rehashed, and many familiar ideas and objects are about this book right from the start. Baldacci being Baldacci, i.e the author whose thrillers have wowed me more often than not, takes these familiar things and gives them his own personal spin.

Melvin Mars' case is rooted in violence in the South. He himself is a tragic figure. He could have made it to the NFL, but instead has been on death row for a case that has become a cold case. That's where Amos Decker steps in.

I am
Monnie
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's for sure no one will ever accuse me of being a compliant little wifey-poo. Still, more often than not when I've got my nose in my Kindle and my husband pops up with, "Honey, do we have more of yesterday's chocolate pudding?" my response is something like, "Let me finish this chapter and I'll go check."

But when my nose is in a book like this one, my mouth sings a different tune: "I can't see in the fridge from my chair, babe. If you find some, how about bringing me a bowl while you're up?"

Oh
Jonetta
Amos Decker is on his way to Washington, D. C. to join an FBI special task force headed by Ross Bogart. They'll be investigating cold and questionable cases. When he hears a news report about a former college football star who was on death row for murdering his parents and just escaped execution when someone suddenly confessed to the crime, it's no surprise that Decker wants this to be the first project of the task force.

I loved this story from the start as every scene was compelling, interesti
NancyG
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
For the life of me I don't understand the 5 stars for this book I have read more than half of Baldacci's books and each time I'm reading one I wonder why I bother. I do like the quirky protagonist in this series, Amos Decker, but that is about it. The plot is completely unbelievable and the characters might as well be wearing black or white hats to signify good or evil. The book was at least 1/3 too long filled with repetition, plot twists that were so implausible as to be laughable, cardboard c ...more
Sandra
No matter the plot, you know you're in for a good time with Baldacci.

Well-rounded characters, most of them anyway, interesting backgrounds, a cliché here and there, some predictable stuff, kept-me-on-the-edge-of-my-seat suspense. All included.
Kim
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*TANYA*
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I'm speechless at how amazing David is as an author. The intricacies of this story and how everything came together at the end is astounding. Amos is officially an all time favorite character.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am loving this series! When I first got my hands on this book, I decided to take a look at it which is quite normal for me. I usually thumb through a new book taking note of the number of pages, font size and other basic attributes. My eyes landed on the first page of this book and I didn't come up fro air until I had read 100 pages. I hadn't planned to read this book quite yet but I simply couldn't put it down.

Both the story and character
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B

I struggled to settle on a rating for this book. On the one hand, I really like the character, Amos Decker. On the other hand, there were so many places that the characters were one dimensional and like something pulled from a bag of 'standard interchangeable actors' that the book lost some of its impact. I enjoyed the mystery and the idea of this convoluted cold case. However, I found the book to be a bit long winded and sprinkled with one too many implausible scenarios.

So yeah-
Suzanne
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting from the start! A man about to be executed and another person confesses leaving one hell of a journey. I could not have guessed how this was going to go until about 85% through. It was so entertaining. I am hoping Melvin joins Amos and his team full time because I found him and Amos very compatible. I am so glad I got around to starting this series because these two books so far have been beyond amusing to read. I will be checking out more of his books and series very soon. ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
My weakness for thrillers made me say yes to this book when I was asked if I wanted to read and review the book. Now I'm very glad I did. I haven't read Memory Man, the first book in the series, but that didn't stop me from truly enjoying this book. I do however plan to read the first book some day.

The Last Mile starts off with Melvin Mars in prison very soon to be executed for the murder of his parents, but in the last minute, another man steps forward claiming he's the one behind the murder.
Jim
I received an Advance Reading Copy of this book and was looking forward to it as David Baldacci is one of my favorite authors. This book picks up pretty much where Memory Man left off. While it may not be necessary to read this first it may help introduce Amos Decker and his situation.

Melvin Mars is counting down the hours before his execution. Twenty years ago he was convicted in the violent killing of his parents. With only hours to spare before the execution someone else confesses. Amos Decke
Skip
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Another excellent thriller by Baldacci. Amos Decker is driving to Quantico to join an FBI team as an outsider with his extraordinary abilities when he hears about a stay of execution for Melvin Mars, an ex-football player like himself, convicted of the murder of his parents. Another death row inmate has confessed, with details known only to the killer. Amos manages to convince his team to take on this case, which takes him down south to deal with powerful enemies, racism, and age-old secrets bes ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Last Mile, David Baldacci's 2nd book in his Amos Decker Series is a compelling and complex mystery filled with conspiracies, racial injustices and some pretty evil characters.

I liked this book more than the 1st, The Memory Man https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

The characters are well developed and Decker is desperate to saving a man on death row that he believes is innocent.

Well paced plot filled with twists and turns and some unexpected surprises.

A good read.
Rachel Hall
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a decade long break from thriller writer, David Baldacci, my reunion with Memory Man was a rewarding experience despite all the usual provisos, caveats and ludicrously implausible scenarios. The good news is that Baldacci's latest uniquely talented former cop, Amos Decker, is once again leading the way, only this time he is less personally involved with the eventual fallout, thus making for more clarity of focus. Memory Man introduced the former college football player and one time cop Dec ...more
Matt
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Returning to the Amos Decker series, Baldacci offers readers another look into the fantastic abilities of his protagonist while handling a case that is riddled with issues. Melvin Mars sits on death row, awaiting execution for murdering his parents. As he prepares to walk 'the last mile', that distance from his cell to the execution chamber, a stay is granted. It appears as though someone in Alabama has confessed to the crime, leaving doubt that Mars may have committed the crime. This news hits ...more
Donna
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I liked the first half of this book a lot. I was hooked with the way the story was unfolding. But I'm still torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. This is the second book in the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci. It isn't my favorite series, but there is still plenty of things to like about it.

I liked this book better than the first one in this series. Amos, as an MC, was portrayed as more 'normal' than in the last one. This one had him working with other people who were actually capable of
~Bellegirl91~
OH my gosh did I mention Baldacci did it again? I WAS going to give this 4 stars until the last few pages and the very last line of this book. My heart melted a little and I seriously ended up loving this one. I ESPECIALLY loved these twists and turns even more from this book and I even had a theory come true! Haha it was all a matter of "how" and once it was revealed, I was super happy I actually got a book theory right with a character. Usually when I read Baldacci, I think one way and he turn ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
THE LAST MILE
(Amos Decker: 2)
Written by David Baldacci
(Narrated by Kyf Brewer and Orlagh Cassidy)
2016; Grand Central Publishing (656 Pages)
(Audio length: 11 hours and 49 minutes)
Genre: series, suspense, mystery, FBI

RATING: ★★★★/1/2

Amos Decker is back and ready to join the FBI special task force and solve some cold cases. As soon as Amos hears about the Melvin Mars case - which is eerily similar to his family's murder and Mars played college football too - he can't help but get focused on find
kartik narayanan
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'The Last Mile' is an excellent follow on to 'Memory Man'. It shares some common themes with John Grisham's 'The Chamber' but I consider 'The Last Mile' to be the better book.

Amos Decker and team are great in this book with plenty of development as far Amos is concerned. His struggle to get past his disability to connect with other people is very well portrayed.

The Last Mile has the right mix of pathos, humour and action. This is a book that is hard to put down.
Rajan
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Average read. It is a letdown after first one.
Some excerpts :

Decker didn’t like deceit. He didn’t like lies. He didn’t like bad acts with no consequences. People did wrong, that was a given. And that was their choice. And they needed to suffer the repercussions of those bad choices.
-----
Penney
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Deftly plotted for the most part, and the central character is engaging, but the author just isn't a very good writer, and it shows, especially in stilted dialogue and implausible actions. This kind of book is good for a light read, and I did finish it to see what happened, but the clumsy writing earns the novel only two stars.
The Real Book Spy
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
See this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

With a plethora of bestselling series to his name, and at least ten standalone novels, David Baldacci might be the biggest name writing fiction today. From the Camel Club series and King and Maxwell, to John Puller and Will Robie, Baldacci has no shortage of ideas or characters–which is evident once again with his newest series about a man named Amos Decker.

Decker is unlike any of Baldacci’s other characters, made unique by an extremely rare neu
Judy Collins
David Baldacci returns following (2015) Memory Man, landing on my Top 10 Books of 2015 where we met an unforgettable man, Amos Decker. A former pro football player, turned police detective in Burlington, Vermont- Now with the FBI in Virginia.

Top 50 Books of 2016!

In THE LAST MILE (#2 Amos Decker) the hero/FBI detective, meets a man on death row- with more in common with his own past than he could ever imagine.

Amos Decker suffers from Hyperthymesia, (perfect recall) --a condition in whi
Simon McDonald
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
In last year’s Memory Man, David Baldacci introduced new series protagonist Amos Decker, who suffered a violent collision in his first professional NFL game, which jolted his brain and left him with an incurable mental condition: hyperthymesia. Consequently, Decker now possesses an infallible memory: he can replay moments of his life, scene-by-scene; whatever he hears, reads or witnesses, he remembers — which means the details of the brazen murders of his wife and child will never fade. In Memor ...more
Mahoghani 23
A heisman nominee, a murderer and a death row inmate has one thing in common; Melvin Mars. He's a man on death row for murdering his parents, an interracial couple, twenty years ago. At the time of their murders, he's nominated for the heisman trophy, an award for the most outstanding player in the NCAA.

He's always proclaimed his innocence but the courts found him guilty & with all appeals filed, today's the day that he's going to get the lethal injection. At almost the very last minute, he
Trey
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wendy
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Mile

David Baldacci is truly the best author ever. The man just writes better and better stories with each passing book. This book was incredible. I really don't know how he does it, the hardest part is waiting for the next one.
Play Book Tag: The Last Mile by David Baldacci (4 out of 5 Stars) 6 15 Jul 22, 2018 02:22PM
Luna Trim - *Must* Read Review Before Buy 1 7 Mar 26, 2018 12:17AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Last Mile 1 4 Aug 15, 2017 09:47PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 9 34 Jul 16, 2016 09:55AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 11 Jul 16, 2016 08:34AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 6 10 Jul 16, 2016 08:28AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 7 9 Jul 16, 2016 08:21AM
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone, #11)
  • Foreign Agent (Scot Harvath, #15)
  • House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)
  • Private Rio (Private, #11)
  • Extreme Prey (Lucas Davenport, #26)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
  • War Hawk (Tucker Wayne, #2)
  • The Steel Kiss (Lincoln Rhyme, #12)
  • Blood Flag (Paul Madriani #14)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)
  • Guilty Minds (Nick Heller, #3)
  • The House of Secrets
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
  • The Art of War (Tommy Carmellini #6; Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe #16)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)
  • Blackout (Doug Brock #1)
  • Off The Grid (Joe Pickett, #16)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more

Amos Decker (5 books)
  • Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Untitled (Amos Decker, #5)
“Decker blinked awake and sat up in his bed. He looked around, for a few moments unsure of where he was. Virginia. Quantico. The FBI gig. Right. He got up and padded to the bathroom. After that he walked into the kitchen and looked out the window. It was still well dark. He slid out the coffeepot with the intent to make and drink a pot while he went over case notes. Then he looked down at his massive gut and the slight wheezing apparently caused by merely getting out of bed and taking a leak, and sighed. “Shit,” he muttered.” 1 likes
“The prisoners had also turned to look at Mars. Those doing push-ups and pull-ups stopped. They wiped off their hands and moved back against the wall. And waited. Their expressions were clear. Thank God it’s not me. The news had spread fast. Mars might be getting out after nearly being put to death.” 1 likes