Start by marking “The Rules of Love & Grammar” as Want to Read:
The Rules of Love & Grammar

The Rules of Love & Grammar

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
A woman finds love and closure when she returns to her roots in the newest novel from the author of The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe.

Newly jobless, former technical writer Grace Hammond is unmoored. Desperate to escape the city and her problems, Grace hits 'pause' and returns to her Connecticut hometown, where she discovers that the answers to what her future
Published May 31st 2016 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Rules of Love & Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rules of Love & Grammar

Janille N G
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
~ I've just finished my next literary venture, a novel called The Rules of Love and Grammar by Mary Simses. My best friend, who works for a publishing company, gifted the book to me and I was intrigued by the title more than anything. The synopsis seemed enjoyable enough and I felt the story of a young woman returning to her picturesque hometown would suit the blooming springtime around me.
For all these reasons, I'm sorry to say that I didn't love this novel. I've never read any of Simses' work
Christa
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really did want to love this one, especially after feeling that The Irresistible Blueberry Cafe and Bake Shop was exceptional. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same about The Rules of Love & Grammar.

I can't remember when a main character has annoyed me as much as Grace did. Her maturity level was not as great as that of most fifteen year olds, and she was well over twice that age. She couldn't seem to make a single wise decision. She didn't see things realistically, and I sure didn't buy t
Dale Harcombe
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
All in one go, Grace loses her job and her lover. To top it off the ceiling of her apartments caves in after a water leak and she has to evacuate. Grace retreats to her parents and the place where she grew up in Connecticut. Grace is in her thirties, yet her behaviour is like that of a teenager. She fantasizes about her teenage sweetheart and is still far from having come to terms with her sister’s death, which happened when she was a young teenager.
It was a fairly sweet story but in many ways
Celina
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Sterne

Am Anfang war ich ja noch sehr begeistert, aber später fänd ich Grace ein wenig merkwürdig. Sie war schon sehr ich-bezogen.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I made it to page 92. Grace was at Peter's party and dressed inappropriately as well as tipsy and about to make a fool of herself and decided this one isn't for me. I could not read 200+ more pages of this character reliving her high school years after a career in New York and pining over her high school crush. It's a pretty forgone conclusion who she ends up with from the beginning of the book. For a 33 year year old, Grace was awfully immature. There are too many other books to read........... ...more
Shiloah
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
The 95 pages I read were a waste of time. Teenage angst in a 30-something woman. Juvenile thinking and story. It took nearly 100 pages to finally go somewhere with the story and I realized it was just insipid. It's title and reviews seemed promising. Not so.
Marianne
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The Rules of Love and Grammar is the second novel by American journalist, corporate attorney and author, Mary Simses. Bad luck comes in threes, they say. It sure has for Grace Hammond: she’s lost her job as a technical writer, her boyfriend has gone off with his paralegal and the ceiling of her Manhattan apartment has collapsed. Grace goes home to mom and dad in Dorset, Connecticut, ostensibly to help with her father’s 65th birthday party, but also to await apartment repairs and work at getting ...more
Tami
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hach, Mary Simses hat es mal wieder geschafft so ein richtiges Wohlfühlbuch zu schreiben. Sommer, Kleinstadt, Witz und Romantik.
Ich vermisse Dorset und seine Bewohner jetzt schon.
Melanie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, family, sweet
I enjoyed this, but I felt like the main character was so stuck in high school. I mean, I get that a tragic thing happened, but she's over 30 now and she's still expecting the world to cater to her, being weirdly childish and selfish and making everything that happens about her, her, her... It was very difficult to like her, she came across as very spoiled, selfish, and kind of a brat. She did grow up a little during the book, which helped, but then when the romance came to fruition it also felt ...more
Karin

Grace Hammond has been dumped, lost her job and had her ceiling destroyed by a leak in the upstairs apartment, all in one fell swoop. She has come home from Manhattan to spend a few weeks with her parents while her apartment is fixed and to attend her father's sixty-fifth birthday. While home she is faced with strong memories of her sister, Renny, who died at 18, the return of her first love and time with her best friend, Cluny.

I enjoyed this romance more than normal for me. It took a f
RaeAnna Rekemeyer
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's not a roast, but it's not a glowing review either.... Simses had so many things that could have gone so right, but she fell into the realm of generic love sick, husband hunting female character. Grace Hammond is a grammar nazi woman in her early thirties. She's immature and not easy to like. Simses had a lot of really promising aspects of the book in relation to the familial themes, but she did not develop or spend the time on those portions they deserved. There were a lot of really interes ...more
Jeannette Castro
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again Mary Simses has delivered us a heartfelt story of discovering ourselves, and the love of family. You will instantly become friends with the characters in this book and feel like you to are following their journey through friendships and love! A must read!
Melissa
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe was one of my favorite books a few years ago, so I was excited to see that Mary Simses had a new book out. She once again worked her writing magic, and I found myself immersed in this sweet, and sometimes sad, story.

Grace was easily relatable. I also find myself correcting grammar and spelling mistakes, or at least cringing when I see something really obvious. I was reminded of a time when I fixed the grammar on a sign on my R.A.'s door in college.
Susy Tomasiello
Una storia carina e buffa che purtroppo non mi ha convinta del tutto.
Recensione completa qui
Musiquedevie
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Last year I read Mary Simses' wonderful "The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe". I found it charming, relaxing and a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was my favorite book I read in 2015! I looked forward to her next book which turned out to be "The Rules of Love & Grammar."

To use a food illustration, reading "The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe" was like eating and enjoying a hot, delicious home cooked meal. Unfortunately, reading "The Rules of Love & Grammar" was like a
Marta
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
When I started reading this book, I had a fairly closed mind about what I would experience. I couldn't remember why I chose to take it home- perhaps because the cover is exceedingly pretty. But when I picked it up to read, I noticed a promo blurb from James Patterson. I'm ashamed to admit it, but from the author bio I concluded that, because Mary Simses lives in south Florida, she somehow knows Patterson and thus he was obliged to say something good about a book clearly marketed to women.
I thou
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
thank you to back bay books and all involved in this goodreads giveaway.

i am not sorry to have picked up this title, but i'm sorry it wasn't as endearing and touching as it had the capability of being. don't think bridget jones; instead, think of a granddaughter of hee haw's grandpa jones and you will be prepared for the corn-fed humour that awaits. as much as it could be considered cute, there were moments that also felt unnatural, laboured that disjointed moments which otherwise could have acc
Mindi
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm torn on my review. I enjoyed reading this book, but I agree with others that it wasn't anything great, didn't have anything shocking. The story was sweet and loving, but a bit predictable. If you love a book with twists and turns in our, this is not the book for you.
Suzanne
I won this book from Goodreads. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars because 3 seems a bit harsh.
I admit that I expected a bit more from the story.
Having lost her job, and forced from her apartment, Grace is finds herself returning to stay with her parents. Here she is faced with all of the memories of her sister's death in a car accident several years earlier.
Meanwhile, an old beau from high school is back in town directing a new movie. Grace dreams of picking up where they left off. But there is a
Cassandra Giovanni
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, it took a lot to get through this novel. The main character Grace has just lost her job, her boyfriend and her apartment's ceiling has collapsed. So she finds herself back in her hometown, reliving memories of her past, including the death of her sister when she was a teenager. It would all be touching except for the fact that Grace is 33 and acts like a thirteen-year-old, what's worse is that she regresses instead of progressing. Then there's a 'epiphany' moment that is unbelievable, a ...more
Linda Tomase
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ko es domāju par šo grāmatu? Gandrīz neko. Visas sievietes grāmatā ir kā kaķēni, visi vīrieši kā lācēni un visi kopā tēlo "pieaugušos". Neslēpti romantiska, naiva grāmata. To lasot, vari pārsniegt dienas ieteicamo cukura devu!
VickyH
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Schmaltzy. I like a little schmaltz once in a while. But the 33 year old protagonist had way too many juvenile moments. I felt they got worse as the book went on. Predictable.
Melissa
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Three words: summer.beach.read.

That is all.
Rita Walton
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was forced to read this because it's my book club book for this month. It's a formulaic romance.
Sarah ⚡
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book read almost exactly like a Sarah Dessen book, except the characters were all grown ups. It's fluffy and romantic and picturesque (dangit, if I don't suddenly have the urge to vacation in small town Connecticut for an entire summer), but the characters still kind of felt like...teenagers (or young 20-somethings) Especially the main character. I didn't hate her but the way she behaved sometimes was a little...immature.

This is definitely more of a beach read than a binge-the-entire-thing
Lunia
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy reading this book. Grace came across as a star-struck teenager, constantly fantasizing about a high school sweetheart and dwelling on her sister's death, and not as the adult that she is. For this reason, I recommend this book to readers in their 20s and early 30s; older readers might find it difficult to relate to/sympatize with Grace.
Em
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book. I only got a few chapters in before I had to throw it away from me. It was terrible. I enjoyed Bridget Jones's Diary, and, apparently, so did Mary Simses. Seemingly, she is writing the same story here--but very poorly.
Beth Seabreeze
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was not good, the writing was not good, the characters were not developed, she didn't finish any of the storylines properly. Don't read this.
Kim Territo
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book that was recommended by a friend. Good story line.
The Library of Belle
Recensione dal blog The Library of Belle https://thelibraryofbelle.blogspot.co...

Eccoci alla recensione, sofferta perché quando dò tre stelle mi viene difficile spiegare perché la lettura è stata sufficiente ma non di più, però ci provo. La storia parte con Grace che torna, causa lavori nel suo appartamento a Manhattan, l'aver perso il lavoro e lasciata dal fedigrafo fidanzato, a casa dei genitori per un paio di settimane a Dorset, la piccola cittadina di provincia in Connecticut in cui è cresci
Play Book Tag: The Rules of Love & Grammar by Mary Simses 3.5 stars 1 6 Jul 15, 2017 05:10PM
Ladies & Literature: * Giveaway! Five Copies! 12 25 Jun 05, 2017 06:05PM
  • The Lonely Hearts Club
  • The Children
  • The Wedding Sisters
  • Watching Edie
  • The Space Between Sisters (The Butternut Lake, #4)
  • Look at You Now: My Journey from Shame to Strength
  • The Hopefuls
  • Under the Harrow
  • Reservations for Two (Two Blue Doors #2)
  • Somewhere Between Luck and Trust (Goddesses Anonymous #2)
  • London Tides (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Some Women
  • One December Night
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
I grew up in Darien, Connecticut and started writing stories when I was eight. Although I always loved to write, I never imagined I could make a living as a fiction writer, so in college I majored in journalism. After working in magazine publishing for a few years, I went back to school to become a lawyer. While working as an attorney, I enrolled in an evening fiction writing class at a nearby uni ...more
More about Mary Simses

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things