Start by marking “Harlequin (Dectective Jason Smith #5)” as Want to Read:
Harlequin (Dectective Jason Smith #5)

Harlequin

(Detective Jason Smith #5)

The circus comes to town and children start to disappear. Detective Sergeant Jason Smith is persuaded to return to work after three weeks of a marijuana induced haze. Forced to endure the leadership of a new DI, the fulsome Bryony Brownhill, Smith is faced with the most difficult investigation of his colourful career.
When the children who vanished are found murdered in v
Published September 5th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Harlequin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harlequin

Start your review of Harlequin (Dectective Jason Smith #5)
Linda Strong
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.5 Stars

Who doesn't love a circus? Acrobats, Jugglers, Animals, Trapeze Acts, Dancers, Tightrope Walkers, Magicians, and of course, Clowns.

DS Jason Smith has been on a self-imposed leave for several weeks. For those weeks, he's been lost in the haze of marijuana .. but he has quit drinking. He also missed the exam he needed to take to promote him to DI and someone else received that promotion.

He's tasked with returning to work forthwith. Children are disappearing, and then found murdered. So fa
Books 'n' All  Promotions
This is book 5 in the DS Smith series and this review is for the reedited and updated digital version.

It is no secret that I am a big fan of Stewart Giles. His books tick a lot of boxes for me especially this Smith series. I suspect Smith could be an acquired taste and you have to read all the books in sequence to understand what he has been through and why he is taking so long to grow up. He is getting there.

As life has dealt him blow after blow he has picked himself back up with the aid of dri
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this fifth book in the detective Jason Smith series and again I was absorbed throughout and I highly recommend! A circus is in town or in York's case, the city, and little children are being abducted. I loved the suspense and I couldn't wait to find out why? and who? were responsible for these repulsive crimes. I love the humour in these books (the nosey neighbour 😂) and I thought the plot very well thought out. It was great to meet up with the characters again and I really like ...more
Joanna Larum
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth book in the Jason Smith series and I am convinced that they get better each time! It is possible to read as a stand-alone but I think a reader would miss out on Smith's back story and what he has lived through is important in how he deals with his cases.
In York, children are disappearing and then are found, dead. Smith has been on leave, recovering from his house being blown up and, having given up drink, has taken to marijuana instead. He returns to work to find that DI Chalme
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jason Smith has been off work for three weeks after the events in the previous book, Occam’s Razor but is drawn back by the kidnapping of a young boy from his house under the watchful eyes of his parents. When his body turns up and yet another child goes missing, the clues lead to the circus but the people there refuse to talk. Can Smith get to the bottom of the case?

So I’m carrying on my binge read of the Smith series with the fifth one, Harlequin, and I would highly recommend to read a couple
Simon Leonard
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth book in the series so you do ideally have needed to read at least a couple of previous books just so you get an idea of the chemistry between the team and also to see what DS Smith has had to go through in his short career as this book starts shortly after Book 4, where his house was burnt down and he is recovering from that.

This time Smith is close to retiring when some children are kidnapped and found murdered so he and the team have to investigate.

There is a new member of th
Donna Maguire

Oh my goodness this book had everything!! It was a really fast paced storyline with plenty of twists and turns and I love how it all developed – and the ending was superb!!

I am really enjoying this series so couldn’t wait to start this one and I certainly wasn’t disappointed, I think it is probably the best book in the series so far. I was gripped right from the start and read the book the same day I started it.

Five stars from me – another brilliant additi
Jill Stirling
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making my way through this series. This was a particularly horrific piece of crime fiction. The main character an expatriate Australian detective sergeant whom the author seems to hate. He has gone through some terrible scenarios. The writing and characterisation are quite well done. I am very disturbed by the drug taking by the main character. I am in two minds about continuing the series. The self destructive behaviour is very disturbing.
Gary Van Cott
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is ok. There is no way the author is as good as Bolton at her best. Smith is probably the most self-destructive and injury prone detective I have read about. I suppose that makes these books a bit different although I not sure it is a good thing. Still a few typos in the kindle edition. Surely, they have people reading these that can find and fix them.
Sarah Legge
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done, finished
Circus is in town but do they come in peace?? While Smith is hunting for clues they all lead back to that tent. Until one day they all fall into place. This book is amazing at every page. Well done again Stewart.
Michele Zito
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I simply cannot believe just how much I am enjoying this series on Jason Smith & company in York. This last one was simply great. I will be staring Book # 6 later on today. So far these books have not disappointed me.
Highly recommend.
Sep 22, 2017
Margaret Armour
Feb 09, 2018

• Playing with Fire
  • Baby Lies (DI Mariner #4)
  • Blood Diamond  (Detective Mike Nash Thriller Book 7)
  • Kill Our Sins (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #3)
  • KILLING CHRISTMAS an absolutely addictive crime thriller with a huge twist (Detective Mike Nash Thriller Book 4)
  • Bad Dog (DCI Kett #2)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes #2)
  • OUT COMES THE EVIL a gripping Cotswolds murder mystery full of twists (Alex Duggins Book 2)
  • Hour of Need: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 4)
  • Shadow Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #7)
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • Tell No Tales (Hidden Norfolk #4)
  • Revenge on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery, #2)
  • The Railway Man (DCI John Blizzard, #3)
  • Crossed Out (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 6)
  • The Man in the Pink Suit (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #3)
  • A Staged Death (A Brock & Poole Mystery Book 2)
After reading English at 3 Universities and graduating from none of them, I set off travelling around the world with my wife, Ann, finally settling in South Africa, where we still live. After Ann dropped a rather large speaker on my head I came up with the idea for a detective series. DS Jason Smith was born. Smith, the first in the series was finished a few months later. 3 years and 8 DS Smith bo ...more

Detective Jason Smith (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Girl in the River: Smith's First Murder (Detective Jason Smith)
  • Smith: A Detective Jason Smith Thriller (Detective Jason Smith #1)
  • Boomerang: A Detective Jason Smith thriller (Detective Jason Smith #2)
  • Ladybird (Detective Jason Smith, #3)
  • Occams's Razor: Be careful who you trust (Detective Jason Smith #4)
  • Selene (Dectective Jason Smith #6)
  • Horsemen (Detective Jason Smith #7)
  • Unworthy (Detective Jason Smith #8)
  • Venom (Detective Jason Smith #9)
  • Severed (Detective Jason Smith #10)