Start by marking “The Blobfish Book” as Want to Read:
The Blobfish Book

The Blobfish Book

Perfect for fans of Battle Bunny and Z Is for Moose, this irresistible book within a book introduces us to Blobfish, known as the “ugliest fish in the sea”...or is he actually the fish who will steal our hearts?

Did you know that the deepest parts of the ocean are over one mile deep—too far down for any sunlight to reach? That’s where Blobfish lives. But this book isn’t abo
Published May 17th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Blobfish Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blobfish Book

Start your review of The Blobfish Book
Abigail
A cartoon-like blobfish continually intervenes in this ostensibly non-fiction picture-book account of the creatures of the deep sea, expressing a desire for more attention to himself and his kind. As the main narrative profiles creatures from the viperfish to the blenny fish, the blobfish adds his own commentary. When the narrator finally does get to blobfish, mentioning that they have been voted the world's ugliest creatures, our aquatic interventionist is terribly hurt, and must be comforted b ...more
Zoraida
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-review
THE BLOBFISH BOOK by Jessica Olien is unlike any picture book I've read. Combining real data, photos of deep sea marine life, and comedic illustration, the book creates a conversation between reader...and Blobfish himself.

From page one, Blobfish interrupts the book by crossing out "Deep Sea" in The Deep Sea Book, and replacing it with "The Blobfish Book." He then introduces himself. "Hi, I'm blobfish!" It'll make any kid reading this book giggle at Blobfish's antics. He wants to be seen because
Amanda
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this to me--"Read this!" she urged. "It'll make you laugh!"--and because I had never read a book about a blobfish before, I immediately added it to my ever-growing "To Read" list.

Now The Blobfish Book came in for me this morning--I had forgotten that I had requested it--I looked at this silly cover and thought "What? Why? Huh?" (I am VERY literate in the morning, obviously.)

Then I started reading it, and I started cracking up. Oh, silly Blobfish! The photos were an unexpecte
Daphne
Jessica Olien, how did you know I needed this book about Blobfish? Somehow, you've managed to write a picture book full of facts about the deep ocean and its animals while giving them characteristics and personalities and inspiring your readers to go exploring in themselves. Well done you! (Ever thought about writing a book where your shark detective and blobfish team up? Just sayin'!)
Angie Quantrell
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
VERY clever book that mixes nonfiction information with a fictional character who narrates and comments on the story. Readers will learn and laugh. Great story!
Holly
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
A cute and very informative book to educate children about the Blob Fish, and many other species of fish that live in the deepest part of the ocean. The blend of eye catching illustrations and information about the habits of the Blob Fish combine to get the student’s attention and keep it. Sharing this book with students will help them to see that there are many species that we are continuing to discover.
Kara
Brilliant. Awe-inducing facts infused with humor from a lovable, vulnerable main character.
Amy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super-accessible and fun, while imparting actual factual information! I especially love the section at end that includes a "cast of characters," deep sea facts, and links for further research!
Tara Carlisle
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars! If you are looking for an engaging informational read, then look no further! Jessica Olien injects humor into this book about the creatures that live in the deepest parts of the sea.  The author uses a combination of photography and cartoonish artwork in this informative metafiction book.

Blobfish, who very much wants to be the main character of this book, enthusiastically interjects himself into all pages.  He eagerly awaits his turn to hear about his species, only to find ou
Jana
I bought this book for my classroom library because it looked like a fun, nonfiction picture book. I'm glad I did, because it's got awesome close up photographs of deep sea fish, which is always popular with my students. The book is also funny because it appears to have been taken over by a very chatty blowfish. There's interesting information and a list of resources at the back, so this would be a good book to start research on ocean animals.
Teresa Edmunds
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The "original" title of this book is "The Deep Sea Book", but the cute, little rascal Blobfish keeps changing things to focus on him. Most of the book gives facts, descriptions, and photos of creatures that live in the deep sea. This is sprinkled with illustrations of Blobfish peeking in on things. There are more interesting facts listed at the end of the book such as: More people have walked on the moon than on the bottom of the ocean. Recommended for young students.
Donna Mork
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So adorable. A combo of nonfiction and fiction. Blobfish takes you through the story while you learn all about the very deep deep sea animals that exist where sunlight doesn't reach. Makes learning fun and makes you feel sorry for the blobfish who was voted "ugliest fish." It hurts his feelings. Very cute.
Colleen
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Good for nonfic and fic lovers alike.
Julie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
SUCH a fun read-aloud!
Denene
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute! I actually laughed out loud while reading at the store.
Katrina
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Cothron
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book is a very cute way to introduce deep sea creatures. The fact filled book has photos of these sea creatures and is interrupted by a lovable cartoon blobfish. It promotes curiosity about this creature and I plan on using it to start a mini collaborative research project about the blobfish followed by independent research on one of the other sea creatures mentioned in the book. The features I love in this book are:
The mix of fiction and nonfiction.
The retro library check out card on the t
Annalisa
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was an odd take of showing a nonfiction book. This was a nonfiction book about the creatures in the deep sea with narration and comments made by a animated blobfish. This combines both fiction and nonfiction. I think this would be appropriate for around 3rd grade. I think it would be useful in the classroom to introduce nonfiction. I would use this to inform students of the deep sea creatures in a fun and unique way.
Eme87
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A goofy look at the Blobfish and all its glory! The Blobfish wants to hear about himself in a story about the deep sea where he lives. When he finally gets to hear about himself, it is a little disappointing to see what they say about him. Friends come to the rescue and tell him how they feel about him which helps.
Dana
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Real photos and facts about deep water creatures are combined with a drawing of a blobfish who wants to be included in the story. More facts are included at the end of the book. Blobfish is sad to learn that he is considered ugly, but his friends help to cheer him up. This is a fabulous book!
Peacegal
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
These "faux-defaced" books seem to be a new trend in kiddie lit, in which a character keeps bursting into a "normal" book and interacting with the reader. THE BLOBFISH BOOK is obviously very silly, but the silliness is sprinkled with real-life facts about other unusual deep-sea animals with whom the famous blobfish shares a habitat.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Amusing, but I was a bit confused as to what the book wanted to be. Is it nonfiction with a little silliness, or is it meant to belong to the family of books like Z is for Moose and Here Comes The Easter Cat, with some fun trivia thrown in?
Nicole
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read a loud book for young kids interested in deep sea creatures. It has a simple fact about each of the deep sea creatures and enough humor with the blob fish taking over the book to really engage kids.
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, interactive, informative read. What I liked best is that the drawings of the blobfish narrator kept my son engaged, and it was a jumping point to learning more about sea animals. Watching YouTube videos about the deep sea now...
Nikki
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: byl-crate, owned-book
My daughter (7.5yr) was laughing out loud at this. She was especially happy to see her favorite deep sea fish in the book too, the anglerfish! It also has a cute lesson about being a good friend. Really great as far as picture books go.
Emily Geilman
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book/Informative Text - EL ED 340
Really cute book with lots of fun facts about deep sea animals. I used it to teach main idea and key details which the blobfish was trying to distract from. Really fun and engaging.
Sally
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun presentation of creatures who live in the deep sea, and other misc. facts. Of course blobfish wants to steal the show.
Serenity
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute and fun non-fiction (-ish) picture book about deep sea creatures, narrated and commented on by a very opinionated blobfish.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cool ocean facts and the worlds cutest Blobfish.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great information and an entertaining story for children as this funny blob fish tries to take over the book!
« previous 1 3 next »