Start by marking “Lies I Live By” as Want to Read:
Lies I Live By

Lies I Live By

Romance, intrigue, and action collide in this psychic twist on the classic spy novel.

Callie Sinclair is literally out of her mind; as the government’s youngest psychic spy, she finds valuable information for top-secret missions. Her work keeps her headaches at bay, but it means she must lie to everyone she loves, including her longtime boyfriend, Charlie.

When a new psychic
Published May 31st 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Lies I Live By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies I Live By

“We’re not sure if it’s a terrorist act,”

This was a YA paranormal story about a girl who was a psychic spy.

Callie was an okay character, and she clearly didn’t like lying to her mother, she did maybe make some mistakes when it came to using her powers though.

The storyline in this was about Callie being a psychic spy, and trying to figure out what was going on with some l
Stacee
DNF at 35%

I pretty much struggled with this right away.

Callie appears to be an okay character. She's definitely got an interesting ability. Her mom was delightfully scatterbrained, the mom's boyfriend seemed fun, and there was potential in Callie's boyfriend. There were also hints of an upcoming love triangle.

My main issue was that there didn't seem to be a spark. The tone of the story came across as monotone and it felt like one big run-on sentence. I liked concept, but maybe the execution wa
Stephanie Ward
'Lies I Live By' is a captivating young adult novel that will leave readers begging for more. There isn't really anything negative I can say about this book. I really loved it - more than I thought I would at first. The psychic aspect was what initially drew me in - I've always been fascinated by the possibility that it exists. Being described as a romance had me questioning if I was even going to give it a try, but I'm so happy that I did! There was definitely romance throughout the story, but ...more
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/5 stars

Lies I Live By is a standalone YA mystery with a paranormal element (the girl is a psychic).

This was a cute YA mystery. It started off a bit slow. But it definitely picked up as the mystery progressed.

The narrator is 17 year old Callie. She lives in San Francisco. She is the daughter of a famous scientist. But she has a secret. She works for the government as a spy. She is a psychic viewer who can see electromagnetic radiation.

The beginning of the book did not really hold my attention
Laura Resau
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read a pre-pub version of this book, and loved it! As a teen, I was really into psychic phenomena and tried very hard to develop my own psychic powers (to no avail...) I was also into spies and hot guys (hehehe). I would've been completely obsessed with this book as a teen.... And now, as an adult (who is still into psychic phenomena and spies-- my binge-watching of ALIAS is proof of this), I absolutely loved it, too. It's stylishly written, with an awesome main girl character and an in ...more
Eva Millien
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lies I Live By by Lauren Sabel At seventeen, Callie Sinclair is the government’s youngest psychic spy, but if she doesn’t find a way to change the events she’s seen, she could lose the people she loves the most…and her mind in this exciting YA thriller.

Mystica
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a book which was out of my league! also out of my genre but it does not mean that I did not enjoy it. Slightly fantastic, slightly unreal but with a lot of stuff which in our present day and age seem quite feasible and doable!

Claire is the youngest psychic spy around. She lives a double life - one as a teenager about to enter college, going through applications and to all intents and purposes going to enter college. Her second life is working as a psychic spy, trying to figure out from
Peggy
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER FREE**

Really interesting book! This book intrigued me that it had me sucked in from the first chapter. Can you imagine what would happen if.... Or if we could.... But if it doesn't work, then what happens? All these thing to make you wander just what happens in this story plot. The book is really a good book even though I felt it was more for the younger adult, all aged adults can enjoy it! I think I will have to go search this author and see what else is out there!

*Received for an hon
Barbara White
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My students love this type of book, and so do I. Lauren Sabel doesn't disappoint in Out of My Mind.
I read it as soon as it arrived. I couldn't put it down once I started. Then I took it to school and shared it. Now everyone wants to read Out of My Mind. I need to buy more copies. That's the kind of problem any classroom can handle.
Thanks to Goodreads for a copy of this book. My students and I look forward to Lauren's next book.
Lauren (Bookworm Boutique)
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
* I received this book in return for an honest review. All opinions and statements within this review are my own.

I can only describe Lies I Live By as a science-fiction novel, mostly because I have no idea what the sub-genres are and since I rarely read anything in that genre I haven't done the research. As this is told from seventeen year old Callie Sinclair's perspective it's quite easy to settle into this YA book.

Lies I Live By can't be described as fast paced, it's the kind of book that you
Suze Lavender
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Callie and Charlie have been together for many years. At first Callie could tell him everything, but her life has changed ever since she discovered she has psychic abilities. Callie works for the government and her work consists of spying operations with her mind. When Jasper joins the agency she works for work all of a sudden becomes a lot more interesting. Callie likes her boss, Indigo, but he isn't her own age. She's finally found someone she can connect to. When her visions become more and m ...more
Eva Millien
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story is well written with lots of details that capture the imagination and draw the reader in, it starts off by letting readers get to know all the characters which are strong and compelling, but of course most of the focus is on Callie and the story is told from her point
Sage Knightly
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ffbc
description

3.5/5

Lies I Live By is a quick, intriguing read about psychics and a deadly plot they must uncover. The first half is full of hints and adventure and mystery, while the second half is full of action, adrenaline, and discoveries. It’s easy to get lost in, and seems predictable until you’re proven wrong. It’s a great read that I devoured in a few hours!

I was intrigued by the whole psychics-working-for-the-government aspect, especially since our MC, Callie, had to lie because of it. She could onl
Stephanie
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
So...this book was, for lack of a better word, boring.

The first 3/4 of the book went something like this: have a psychic session, learn a snippet of information, write a report, investigate said snippet in the most boring, least action-oriented way possible, have a meaningful (or sometimes meaningless) moment with boyfriend or third-wheel love interest - sometimes both, go home, interact with mom and/or her boyfriend for a few moments, go to sleep. Rinse. Repeat. Over and over and over again.

By
Caroline
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll admit I was biased about this book because a friend was forever ranting about it to me, but I've come to my own conclusion:
It's a shallow, lame book with shitty, plastic characters, a pretty cool plot, an impossibly long exposition.

Also- Callie's a fucking bitch
Becky
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't terrible, but I had a really hard time keeping my eyes open while I read it. #snoozefest
Jenny Goebel
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it from cover to cover! The writing is engrossing, Callie is a captivating main character, and the plot line kept me guessing until the very end.
Jeff Raymond
Ugh, this book. A story of a girl who is a psychic spy for the government, along with her boyfriend. A billionaire gets interested in what they can do, and things go pear-shaped as they do, and it's up to our heroes to sort it out. This book, at well over 400 pages, felt so long and the stakes so low that it was hard for me to get invested or even care that much even with an interesting premise and solid writing on a whole.

Skip this one.

Maria
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for a fair and honest review as a part of a book tour and rated it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

A young adult thriller with paranormal elements, Lauren Sabel’s Lies I Live By combines psychic abilities, a teenage love triangle, astral projection and a light touch of humor. Raising the question of who we are and who we can really trust, Ms. Sabel reminds us that becoming an adult is not always an easy, or painless, journey. If you like young a
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).
(This review may contain spoilers).

The cover was what originally drew me to this book. I thought it looked unique and when I saw the title and read the blurb, I was immediately interested… although, I have to say, reaching the end of the book, I felt it could have been expanded to be a bit longer, with less background dumped in the narration.

It was really intriguing to see a teenager struggling with having to deal with her psychic ab
Jade Walker
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

I hadn't actually heard much about Lies I Live By before it popped up on Edelweiss and I decided to give it a shot. I actually really enjoyed this book as well, at least for the most part. Sabel has created a thrilling story with intrigue and action and she has made it relateable and enjoyable to the YA demographic. I think YA as a genre has been so saturated by books of a certain trend and Lies I Live By offers something new that I an lots of people enjoying.

Callie was a great character, not pe
Nina
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
From a plot point of view, I really liked this book. The whole concept of a teen girl with psychic powers is interesting, and definitely appealed to me when I picked the book up off the library shelf. There is a definite mystery factor to this book, even if it isn't labeled outright a mystery. The characters were wonderful, each unique but also working together to form a story; The psychic teen, Callie, who has a lot more on her plate than the average girl; Charlie, Callie's ever-loving boyfrien ...more
Cynthia
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
This book turned out EXACTLY how I'd hoped that it would turn out, plot-wise. And subject-matter-wise, too: Psychics! Spies! Psychic spies! Corporate espionage! Secret societies! Astrophysics! Adorable love interests! All of my favorite things, rolled into one book. Well, maybe not all. But close!

Lies I Live By is an engaging, thrilling novel about the US Gov's secret psychic department (think Sekret by Lindsay Smith). Tackling love, lies, parents, and the eventual fate of the world, this book
Diane Coto
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A young teen, Callie Sinclair, was at a park with her family and was approached by a man who called himself Indigo. My first thought was he’d lead her away from her family and abduct her. But, no! His intentions were purely for business purposes. He’d been watching her over time and figured out she had psychic abilities. Those strengths were needed for Branch 13, a private company contracted with the CIA. She fast-tracked her last year of school and began working as a psychic spy in a Government ...more
JoLee

Featured in 10 Girl Spy Novels on Intellectual Recreation.

Callie is a government agent. She's the youngest psychic spy in the San Francisco office. She uses her psychic abilities to learn valuable top-secret information. Working as a covert operative as a teenage is tricky. Callie has to keep her work secret, and so she finds herself lying to her boyfriend and mother all the time.

Callie loves her boyfriend Charlie, but there's just so much about that he doesn't know. When a new young agent join
Jen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The protagonist of Lies I Live By is a 17-year-old girl living a secret life as a psychic spy for the CIA. Not typical fare, right? Sabel does a fascinating job writing about what it would be like to create and experience a psychic vision, and keeps the pages turning with a mystery, save-the-world stakes and a love triangle. There's a depth to the book that suggests the author has spent some time trying to make sense of the world and digging into the mysteries of the mind.

"In the entrance, the c
Sharon
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars .... a psychic teen works for a secret government agency and hides this from her adoring boyfriend and her own mother?

Aside from the shakiness of this plausibility, the banter between characters is sharp and witty, and the love story between Callie and Charlie is the sweetest part of the book.

Also, Callie's understanding of her mom's boyfriend Richard emerged as one of the cool parts of her character ... spending time watching a baseball game with him, she muses, is more about who is
Lily
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
(I received a copy of this book thanks to Goodreads Giveaways.)

Seventeen-year-old Callie Sinclair is at a party with her family when a man called Indigo approaches.
Next thing you know Callie has gone from your average teen to psychic spy working for a top secret government agency.

There was romance in the book. More specifically there was a love triangle in the book.

Overall the book was okay, I enjoyed the read and the mystery was interesting.
The pace (especially the beginning) was a bit slow. T
Krista Abrao
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway and was anxious to get reading! the description sounded unique and thrilling. I would say that the book lived up those expectations. I was definitely drawn into the story and couldn't stop reading. I had to find out how it ended and what happened to all the characters. kudos!
Kiirsi Hellewell
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I kept waiting not only for this story to really get going, but for things to make sense. But things never really made sense. The psychic spy aspect was cool and different, but it was never explained in enough detail for me to understand what was happening and what people were doing/seeing in their visions.

• The Winter Place
  • Crystal Frost: The Complete Series
  • Jack of Hearts
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • Liberty: The Spy Who (Kind of) Liked Me
  • The Sun, the Moon, and Maybe the Trains (John & Tess Book 1)
  • Perfect Liars
  • The Many Lives of John Stone
  • Mourning Sun (Highland Home, #1)
  • The Better to Bite (Howl, #1)
  • Mr. Fahrenheit
  • Nightstruck (Nightstruck, #1)
  • Awaking (The Naturals, #1)
  • My Second Life
  • Dreamer (The Kali Lockton Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Speed
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Driven (The Warrior, #2)
Originally from the Rocky Mountains, Lauren Sabel has returned to the cool mountain air of Boulder, Colorado after living in several wonderful cities that she will always love and continue to visit year after year.

Lauren loves her husband, her kids, her family, her friends, and stories that end happily. She also loves digging into her mind and revealing tiny gems she didn’t know were there.

Lauren
“But not everyone you love is a forever. Sometimes you can love someone for a reason, and for a time, and although you never stop loving them, no matter how much they may betray you, you move on, because they aren't the one who makes you into an us.” 2 likes