Start by marking “Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House, #20)” as Want to Read:
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House, #20)

Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  6,241 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
The #1 bestselling chapter book series of all time celebrates 25 years with new covers and a new, easy-to-use numbering system!

Wildfire! That's what Jack and Annie are up against when they are whisked away to the land of Australia. And they're not alone! Jack and Annie must help a baby kangaroo and a koala escape from a fire-filled forest. Will they be able to rescue the a
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House for Young Readers

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This is also one of my favorites from the Magic Tree House series! I love the Rainbow Serpent and the cave! Ah, I can imagine in my mind how beautiful it is! And is it just me or Teddy and Annie are perfect for each other?
Izzy Brogaard
Personal Response: I enjoyed reading Dingoes at Dinnertime by Mary Pope Osborne, because it reminded me of my childhood. I used to read these books all the time when I was younger. I also liked the bond between the characters. They work together really well, which reminds me of my brother and I. These books are also great for a quick read.

Plot: Dingoes at Dinnertime started out with Jack and Annie as usual. They heard barking, so they went to the tree house. There, they found Teddy, a small dog
Sarah Sammis
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20) by Mary Pope Osbrone is the final book in Teddy the dog series. Their final gift is somewhere in the Australian outback.

This book is another of the Jack and Annie commune with nature plots. I get that Osborne is trying to introduce children to a wide variety of subjects through her books. Her nature heavy books just don't ring as true as most of her history based ones. She's best at recreating historical events. Her trips through time are always more
Simon
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This book holds several memories for me, and one big memory for the entire world.

First the review: I enjoyed this book and it was a great adventure for all the characters. Meeting a Kangaroo and her Joey was a sweet plot point and it would touch ground with wild animal lovers abound.

I could imagine the scenes in my head as they played out. I would have liked for Jack and Annie to meet some people on this adventure, but it was only animals in this book.

I have noticed that some of the adventures
Rachel Cummins
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Magic Tree House books include a brother and sister, Jack and Annie, traveling in time to important times in our history. In this specific book they travel to Australia and meet different animals in the area. They find out about the different animals from the book they have and end up saving animals from a forest fire. I think students between grade 2-5 would be able to read these books.

I think if I were to use Magic Tree House books in my classroom I would have it relate to historical events.
Maya Orama
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This store is about a girl named Annie that is 5 and this boy named jack that was 8 . It was morning Jack and Annie was in the house they both got out the house and went and went with their dog lady in the frog creek woods they found the tree house on the big oak tree they climbed the ladder and went in the tree house Morgan left a letter their so the cold figure what they needed to find it said a present from the kangaroo and look for a boy Jack and Annie both looked for the book were the kanga ...more
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jack and Annie complete the set of missions assigned to them by Morgan le Fay to help Teddy the dog. The last line of the poem says. "A gift from a kangaroo." So, of course they are off to Australia!

While there, the children meet emus, a koala, a kookaburra, and kangaroos. They rescue a baby kangaroo when a pack of dingoes arrive. In thanks, the mama kanga gives the children a piece of bark with an aborigine painting on it, that of a Rainbow Serpent of legend.

Back home, the combination of the 4
Isabel Orama
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This time they went on a adventure where kangaroos live. They both needed to get a gift from a kangaroo. So when they wished too the location they went there.

Jack and Annie went down the rope ladder and then found two animals . They had big feet, a pouch with a little baby in it too. Jack searched the animal up in the book. It was a kangaroo . When they both woke up from their nap they all heard growling. It was a dingo. When jack sea
Julesmarie
Hmm...Back to another story so highly improbable that it seems to not fit at all into this series of delightfully accurate books.

I'll admit I've never been to Australia, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but having Jack and Annie step out of the treehouse and within moments see an emu, a koala, a kookaburra, a kangaroo, and a pack of dingoes doesn't seem very likely. Unless they just happened to land in some sort of wildlife preserve... in which case the wildfire then becomes the unlikely element. Eith
Dawn
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
I recently read 1 book from the "Magic Tree House" and "Magic School Bus" series to become familiar with chapter books, and also to try and discern a difference between the two series. They're about the same reading level, I'd say that the "Tree House" book has a slightly more advanced plot. There are 2 main characters as opposed to an entire classroom of characters who seem pretty much alike. Overall they were quite informative and filled with a lot of interesting facts and history tidbits. I c ...more
Anna
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-myself
They saw a kangaroo and there was a baby in its pouch and dingoes came. The mama hopped away and she put the baby in the brown weeds and Jack and Annie found it and they took care of it and the joey hopped into Jack's backpack because he thought it was a pouch. So Jack put it in front of him so the joey will feel like he was with his mama.
Weeboon W7
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
the dingoes were amazing! they were so cute too, and the story is rather exciting
Magnus
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
It's the end of the mini series. I was a little disappointed and my son didn't seem to be too thrilled by it... All in all though it's a good story!
Kristi
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Davey: "I really liked this book because it had real animals in it, like dingoes and kangaroos. I didn't like the wild fire because some of the animals could have gotten dead."

May 10, 2015
Tyler
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the final quest for Jack and Annie to break the spell that Teddy was under, they head to the Australian outback to get a gift from a kangaroo. (view spoiler) ...more
Stephanie
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it

I really like this series for emergent readers because they are quick, engaging and expose kids to so many cultures, times and ideas.

We were especially looking forward to this one because we used to live in Australia. But there is such a HUGE ERROR in this book that I had to give it a 1-star.

(Spoiler)
During the wildfire, Annie runs back into the fire to save a koala. I appreciate the sentiment here, and how Annie loves animals, but to give an example to children that it is sweet to run back in
Rick Silva
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Jack and Annie travel to Australia to find the fourth in a series of gifts which they must receive in order to free a small dog from a spell. This is the conclusion of a four-book story arc, although it stands alone reasonably well.

This adventure is unusual in that Jack and Annie don't encounter any people at all on their trip to Australia. The focus is almost entirely on Australia's unique wildlife, although Aboriginal mythology does factor into the story as well. Mostly it is Annie playing the
Rosa Cline
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, history, kids
This is book 20 of this series, if you don't have access to all the books to read in order usually the author has summarized pretty well in the first chapter the past from the other books. Although if you CAN read them in order you can understand the characters and situations more. But you don't 'have' to read them in order.

Each book the author gives a History lesson to the reader without 'being in your face' about it. As the two children in the story learn about the place they are taken to they
Kristin Fisher
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In this book, Jack and Annie travel in their magic tree house to Australia to receive their last gift from a kangaroo to take the dog, Teddy, out of his spell. Jack and Annie are able to communicate with the kangaroo and the Joey and are able to stay alive through a wildfire and dingoes attacking the kangaroo. Jack and Annie are led to a painting by the dog, which causes rain to begin and the wildfire to go out. At the end of the story, the surprising and unexpected spell on the dog is lived. Gr ...more
Hannah Belyea
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-child-inside
Jack and Annie had better hope the fire in their hearts is stronger than the fires of the Australian outback, because when the treehouse leaves them to save the wildlife, they hold the fate of furry families in their hands! Osborne keeps young readers in suspense with this engaging entry to the "Magic Tree House" series. Better have some water on hand!
Alexandra Ortiz
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dingoes at Dinnertime by Mary Pope Osborne is a good book. If you love adventure and magic tree house books are the best. This book is about Jack and Annie they are suck in Australia but they have company. Animals are everywhere. Also this book talks about how Annie finds a baby kangaroo. They also find a little friend (A Koala) there something bad going on don't miss out and read the book.
Stephanie Woods
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5.

I read this book with 2 of my 3rd Graders for Title I while teaching at school. It’s your typical Magic Tree House story with two siblings who travel to Australia and save a baby Kangaroo. My 3rd graders loved it and were eager to get to the next chapter to find out what would happen next. Great book for young readers!
Lisa
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about Australia and its animals that I did not know and the Koala is one of my favorite animals so it surprised me that I didn't know some of the facts in this one. I liked what each of the 4 things they collected were to represent.
Alex
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not like this book because I do not like forest fires. I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Annie saved a koala. I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when they escaped the forest fire.
Ashlyn Stelmach
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was really cute too! I'm glad I decided to just get the audiobooks when I saw them because it brought me back to like 3rd grade when life was easier. I definitely want to read these with my kids whenever I have them!
Meghan Hunt
Shelves: magic-tree-house
awesome
Daphne Kim
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I love reading this series to my daughter, yes, even on the 20th book in the series. She was so excited to find out who the dog, Teddy, was.
Sara Golden
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Boys-5 and 7 enjoyed this very much
Kaylabookworm22 L
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is a lot of fun to read. I love it!
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Last Shot (Star Wars): A Han and Lando Novel
    $14.99 $4.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
“There,” Annie said. “You look just like a mother kangaroo.” 1 likes