Start by marking “The United States of Beer: A Freewheeling History of the All-American Drink” as Want to Read:
The United States of Beer: A Freewheeling History of the All-American Drink

The United States of Beer: A Freewheeling History of the All-American Drink

From the author of Bourbon, “the definitive history” (Sacramento Bee), comes the rollicking and revealing story of beer in America, in the spirit of Salt or Cod.

In The United States of Beer, Dane Huckelbridge, the author of Bourbon: A History of the American Spirit—a Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance bestseller—charts the surprisingly fascinating history of America
Published June 14th 2016 by William Morrow (first published May 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The United States of Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The United States of Beer

Start your review of The United States of Beer: A Freewheeling History of the All-American Drink
Steven Peterson
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable book. It is sprightly, well written, and the author does not take the subject too seriously. The book is organized around different regions of the country and their predilections and contributions to the evolution of beer. Among regions considered: New England, New York and the Mod-Atlantic, the South, the Midwest, the West, and--finally--the West Coast. Along the way, we get a history of beer, from early origins thousands of years ago. It is fascinating to see the different ...more
Paul
This was a light, short and fun book that, I think, just scrapes the surface of most of the events described. For a book that seems like it was pitched as an excuse for the author to drive around the country drinking different beers, this book is actually fairly well-researched, but it does not seem to rise all the way to the level of a serious work of scholarship.

This seems like a great book to read on a vacation or right when you start getting into homebrew. I'd be very interested to see a muc
Larry
Aug 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I tend to drink what I’m reading. If characters in a book are whiskey drinkers, out comes the Jameson’s.

In this book our writer takes us on a marvelously enjoyable, well researched, and thirst-inducing geographic tour of beer in the USA.

Should anyone need me, I’ll be working my way through the half finished 6 or 12 packs of assorted styles of American brews from basically all over.
Brittany
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasant surprise this book turned out to be. I stumbled across this title on BookBub and it cost me a whole $1.99 of my husband’s money. You see, my husband, and his father, are both avid beer enthusiasts. Me, not so much. While they can taste supple notes of caramel and my husband can recall which hops were used, I am limited to stating, “Yep. That’s beer alright.” It’s not that I dislike beer, I just don’t have the true appreciation for it like them.

Enter “United States of Beer”

I was h
Ron S
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, beer
A light, frothy and fairly satisfying look at the history of beer in America. Don't expect a definitive encyclopedia, or much coverage of the craft beer explosion of the last decade though. Author Dane Hucklebridge is also the author of Bourbon: the Definitive History. ...more
Mo Coghlan
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cicerone-study
This books gives a fantastic overview of the history of Beer in America and the economic and political causes of its evolution. This book has the most clear, evidenced explanation for the growth of American Lagers that I have ever read.
Jon Tyler
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A really great read about the rollicking history of beer in (and out of) the United States. Any beer lover or history buff would enjoy.
Joshua Gentzler
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read. It centers around the peoples who brought their version of beer to the US (the Germans, Dutch, and English) and traces the beer we drink today back to the styles made in Europe.
Casey
Jan 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
A good book, providing a fun and quick historical narrative of beer brewing in America. The author, journalist and author Dane Huckelbridge, presents a personalized tale of America’s production and consumption of beer. The book is organized by region, but follows a historic narrative. Thus, Colonial New England’s close association with English brewing roots begins the story and the late 20th century West Coast microbrew renaissance closes the book. In between, the ups-and-downs of beer consumpti ...more
Felisa Rosa
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title is self-explanatory. I enjoyed that this is a book for beer-lovers and history buffs more than it's a book for beer snobs. Huckelbridge has a knack for picking out interesting facts, stories, and details, and thus manages to weave an engaging history that wouldn't bore or alienate the casual reader. He's a good writer, though I was occasionally annoyed by questionable syntax and the sort of folksy/hokey turns of phrase that are common to periodicals. (As a writer for periodicals, I'm g ...more
Kevin Payne
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and informative. The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The importance of beer in the colonial era and in early Britain had to do with the fact that beer was safer than water since the water was boiled. Early beer was very low in alcohol so it could be consumed in relatively large quantities and by children ("small beer"). Many early brewers were women ("alewives") who brewed for the family. American Indians had alcohol including beer but it was mostly co ...more
Dennis Garone
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not the first history of beer in America I have read but certainly the one that seeks the answers to questions I have sought about how we got to today.

Mr Huckelbridge (pardon the expression) bridges a long beer history from the rest of the world to bring us to what is unique and diverse about American’s many phases of beer production and consumption.

While one of the chapters may get a little tedious of the many styles of our Native North American ancestors, I thought he brought home the notion
Tim
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read! I learned quite a bit about the history of beer in the United States (and beyond). I especially liked the attention paid to different regions throughout the country. I listened to the audiobook, so hearing the descriptions of drinking at a particular bar or getting up during a Yankees game came across a little corny. But I appreciated the personal narrative. An interesting overview of beer's influence throughout American history. ...more
Nathan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure how truly detailed the book could have gotten, but I thought it was a fantastic overview of the story of how beer got to where it was in the US of A. Lots of great history on old-world beer origins, too. Learned a lot, and it gives me a better appreciation for how beer and world history are connected.
Philbeert
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well-written story of the history of the US in parallel with beer. I really like the concept of starting in the east and moving west as the country expanded with beer’s impact along the way. I’ve read several booze books at this point and I rarely fail to pick up some new piece of info. Keep them coming!
Shawn Dvorak
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An informal, free-wheeling history of beer making (and drinking) in the United States. More a collection of individual stories, Huckelbridge covers our history region by region as well as through time.
Sarah Scherer
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the best history book I've ever read. I learned a surprising amount! The history story ended before the year I started drinking myself, and I really didn't imagine American beer could go through so many changes over the ages (before I was relevant.) I highly recommend, if you drink beer. ...more
Caleb Hunter
Jul 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
Great listen, if only this audio book came with a sample of each of the kinds of beer mentioned I would have to give it five stars. A wonderful history of how beer and our country has ebbed and flowed freely!
Christine
Aug 21, 2022 rated it really liked it
A compact, very readable book about beer in America. The author’s writing style is fun and while he’s obviously done his research, it never gets bogged down in too much detail. A definite read for anyone who enjoys beer.
Cook Memorial Public Library
A 2016 staff favorite recommended by Mary.

Check our catalog: https://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore...
Mjverostko
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read.

Very interesting read. Learned a lot, and always interesting to see how various beverages (beer, rum) have impacted our lives as they change through the times.
David
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good history & fun to read

A book written for its subject. Lots of good background and general information. For a homebrewer like me, it was a fun read.
Joe
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable read through the history of beer in the US and in the old world. Interesting story about how it progressed across the the country and then in reality back again.
Edelweiss
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, audiobook
A beer-centric history of the United States, with some explanations of greater beer history or developments.
Jerry
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
neat little book about how beer influenced American history and travel. makes me want to go for a cold one right now
Kevin Harber
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairly interesting account of the origins of the beer industry in America and the impact it's had on various aspects of American history. ...more
Emily
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful planning allowed the author move forward through time as he moved westward in location.
Joe Lanier
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting Read

If you love history and beer, then this is a great reading option. Time to crack open an ice cold Sweetwater!
Lance
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun book
Not to deep
Not to shallow
Not pretentious
Gave some fun insights and factoids
Dave Wein
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Actually turned out to be an interesting history of America as well as talking about beer. Good read

• Lead Yourself First: Inspiring Leadership Through Solitude
  • George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
  • Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and an Epic Trail of Destruction
  • The Cult of We: WeWork, Adam Neumann, and the Great Startup Delusion
  • Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany
  • Tulipomania: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower & the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused
  • The Midwest Survival Guide: How We Talk, Love, Work, Drink, and Eat . . . Everything with Ranch
  • Mating in Captivity: Reconciling the Erotic and the Domestic
  • The Muscle & Strength Pyramid - Nutrition
  • The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease
  • Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
  • Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply Again
  • Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
  • Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets
  • Science and Development of Muscle Hypertrophy
  • Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History
  • The Fun Stuff: And Other Essays
  • Dorian Yates
Dane Huckelbridge was born and raised in the American Middle West. He holds a degree from Princeton University, and his fiction and essays have appeared in a variety of journals, including Tin House, Literary Hub, The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, and The New Republic. His debut novel CASTLE OF WATER was published by St. Martin's Press in 2017, and his book NO BEAST SO FIERCE was published b ...more

News & Interviews

The winter holiday season tends to be a busy one in the romance aisle. To assist you in finding your next hot read to warm up a cold night,...