Jump to ratings and reviews

Wounded Hearts #4

The Sheriff Meets His Match

When a jaded sheriff is drawn to an exasperating woman in trouble, anything can happen

Laurel Thomas is tired of experiencing life from the outside looking in. She likes the warm welcome she's received in Tidal Falls and wants to make a home in this friendly little town, far away from her egocentric family. But when her uncle arrives, the past catches up to her.

Jack Garrett is satisfied with his uncomplicated life. He has a good job as the sheriff of his hometown, a nice home, and a beautiful teenage daughter. Jack struggles against his attraction for the disorganized new hire at the department, Laurel Thomas. She threatens everything he's worked so hard to avoid—like falling in love.

Can two people with enough emotional baggage to sink a ship find a way to give each other a chance, or is this match doomed to drown?

146 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 22, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jacquie Biggar

89 books799 followers
Jacquie Biggar is a USA Today bestselling author of romance who loves to write about tough, alpha males and strong, contemporary women willing to show their men that true power comes from love. She lives on Vancouver Island with her husband and loves to hear from readers all over the world!
In her own words:
“My name is Jacquie Biggar. When I'm not acting like a total klutz, I am a wife, mother of one, grandmother, and a butler to my calico cat.
My guilty pleasures are reality tv shows like Amazing Race and The Voice. I can be found every Monday night in my armchair plastered to the television laughing at Blake's shenanigans.
I love to hang at the beach with DH (darling hubby) taking pictures or reading romance novels (what else?).
I have a slight Tim Hortons obsession, enjoy gardening, everything pink and talking to my friends.”

Newsletter-

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (3%)
1 star
5 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews
Profile Image for Sherry Fundin.
1,722 reviews115 followers
December 3, 2019
I was smiling from the getgo. I love a hunky, needy character like Sheriff Jack, who isn’t taking himself too seriously. I feel the humor and fun will be coming in waves and it all starts when he pulls over his sexy new secretary, Laurel Thomas, for driving like a crazy person on the snow covered road…and the mystery begins.

I love when I can relate to the little things, like using my credit card to scrape the ice off my windshield. I left the cold for Florida and Laurel Thomas left Florida for the cold. lol

The descriptive writing made the scenes easy to visualize the car sliding, fishtailing on the slippery snow covered road, the deputy knocking his hat against his leg to clean it of snow, her sexy legs as she slides out of the car, the Charlie Brown Christmas tree…you get the drift. 🙂

He comes to her rescue, only to nearly bowl her over, banging her head, with his gun drawn. Even in danger, there is humor.

“Men. You can’t live with them, and you can’t shoot ’em. It’s a felony.”

A snowball flew…I found myself snorting, laughing through it all. I love the little details that make the story feel real.

It’s obvious, the story is a romance, so we will have plenty of that. It’s the journey that makes The Sheriff Meets His Match so much fun. There is danger, but I got so caught up in the characters themselves, that their personalities and antics is what I remember most.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Sheriff Meets His Match by Jacquie Biggar.

See more at fundinmental
Profile Image for D. Peach.
Author 22 books128 followers
May 19, 2022
In book 4 of the Tidal Falls series the focus shifts to Sheriff Jack Garrett. He finds his new secretary Laurel Doyle irresistible, and she thinks the hunky sheriff is pretty hot too. But she has a problematic past as a swindler that doesn’t want to stay in her past. Her uncle wants her to pull one more scam to help pay off a debt to his son-in-law, Joe. And Joe is out to make sure he gets paid.

The story is a novella-length romance that checks all the boxes with some danger and action thrown into the mix. Biggar’s characters are always engaging, and I like the way this tale refers back to characters I’ve already gotten to know in previous books. Though there’s an overarching storyline (that of Maggie) that remains unresolved, this book reads well as a standalone. I polished off the book in one sitting and look forward to the next in the series.
Profile Image for Jacquie.
Author 89 books799 followers
September 7, 2015
Jack Garrett has been stung by love in the past so he's not in a hurry to get burnt again, but he can't deny his attraction to the new receptionist, Laurel Thomas.
When trouble comes to Tidal Falls, Jack worries that Laurel is in over her head.
Laurel loves her dysfunctional family but dreams of a place to call home. Just as she settles into a new life, her old one catches up to her and delivers chaos to the town.
Can these two strong personalities find a way to trust in each other and find their happy ever after?

I loved these two together.

The sparks are enough to light up a room but neither want to give into their attraction. It was fun watching the sheriff meet his match, :)
Profile Image for Jacqui.
Author 62 books178 followers
November 4, 2018
Sheriff Jack Garrett, the hero of Jacquie Biggar's The Sheriff Meets His Match (Wavefront Publishing 2015), Book 4 of the Wounded Hearts series, has no time for love. He is barely over a nasty divorce, trying to raise a challenging teenage daughter, and then there are his regular duties as Sheriff of Tidal Falls. Well, maybe he’s not over his divorce. He's still hurt, angry, and struggling to get back to where he was before it all happened. It helps that he's a hunk and has any number of women ready to assist him on any given day. Or night. But no one interests him until Laurel shows up, the temporary receptionist while Angie--the regular--is away. Laurel is sassy, energetic, and gorgeous. Oh--she's also a con artist. She wants to retire but her Uncle--the man who introduced her to the con artist life--keeps dragging her back into it. Now, Uncle Max needs Laurel's help with the final swindle, the last one and then he can quit. Laurel tries to turn him down but he reveals that this con will free his daughter from the clutches of a money hungry, nasty husband. The problem is, it's in Sheriff Garrett's backyard and while he may be a hunk, he's also pretty sharp.

This is a fast-moving sexy story that might or might not end well for Laurel and the Sheriff but it sure will tantalize their spirits. This is highly recommended for those who love romance stories. Be warned: This is a novella so be prepared for nonstop fast-as-lightning action that ends in about 146 pages.
Profile Image for Jacqui Nelson.
Author 17 books187 followers
October 1, 2015
Who could possibly be the perfect match for Sheriff Jack Garrett, the steadfast pillar of a small west coast town like Tidal Falls? Enter Laurel Thomas, a woman on the run from her past in Florida. As soon as she shows up in Tidal Falls, she turns Jack’s meticulously organized world upside down with her disorganized ways, sexy looks and feisty humor. I'd been craving Jack's story every since I read about him in an earlier story in the Wounded Hearts series, and I wasn't disappointed! Ms Biggar's characters leap off the page and become family you'll be rooting for with all your heart.
7,265 reviews21 followers
February 18, 2019
Jack is the sheriff and busy racing his daughter. The new temp sheriff they hired was Laurel , an attraction for them and also brings her uncle which brings trouble. Sparks fly as soon as they meet, she is feisty, and turns his world upside down. A funny look at love, that neither wanted to admit to.
Profile Image for Cynthia.
3,201 reviews72 followers
April 28, 2019
Loved It

Another great love story that happens in Tidal Falls. Laurel came to take a receptionist job, little did she know it was for the sheriff. Jack has been raising his daughter alone but something about Laurel makes him think he can do a second chance at love.
Profile Image for Mae Clair.
Author 18 books556 followers
July 2, 2019
After reading Summer Lovin’, part of Biggar’s Wounded Heart series set in the fictional town of Tidal Falls, I immediately wanted to read The Sheriff Meets His Match which tells the story of Jack and Laurel, hinted about in Summer Lovin’. Laurel is a transplant from the sunshine state of Florida who takes the job of secretary to Tidal Falls hunky sheriff. Their attraction is quick and flirty, but complications arrive in the form of Laurel’s charismatic Uncle Max, and her cousin’s lowlife ex-husband.

As guaranteed in any Biggar novel there is plenty of heartwarming moments, including Laurel bounding with Jack’s teenage daughter, and the introduction of a cuddly lost kitten. Every time I read one of these novels, I am amazed by how effortlessly Biggar brings her characters to life with spot-on POV, snappy dialogue, and fleshed out descriptions. This is an author who knows how to set a stage for maximum effect. Each and every book screams “Hallmark movie.” 5 stars!
Profile Image for Barbara.
2,039 reviews39 followers
September 29, 2015
Ya just gotta love Jack.... Jack is the sexy sheriff in the town of Tidal Falls who has dedicated his life to his job and raising his daughter. You see, Jack's ex-wife took off and left him not only a broken man but a single man with a child to raise on his own. Needless to say Jack has closed off his heart to longterm relationships.

But when a sassy, totally disorganized yet gorgeous women, Laurel, comes to town and is given a temp job at the Sheriff's office, it test's Jack's ability to not only resist her but to stay sane. Needless to say these two push all the wrong buttons while trying to fight an attraction neither wants to admit, especially when her uncle comes to town. (Laurel's uncle is a professional con-man and often running from the law). And once again, he brings trouble to Laurel's door.

This is a funny, lighthearted romance that will keep you laughing at this crazy bunch while guessing what in the world is going to happen next.

I Huge WTG to mid Ms. Biggar for this delightful tale in the the Lonely Hearts series.
Profile Image for Michelle.
161 reviews3 followers
September 17, 2015
I was given an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Jack Garrett is the sheriff of Tidal Falls, WA where he lives a comfortable life with his teenage daughter.

Laurel Thomas, anxious to escape her past, her scam artist uncle and her cousins abusive, money hungry husband, leaves Florida and accepts a position standing in for her good friend Rebecca's Mom in Tidal Falls while she goes on a well deserved vacation. Little did she know she would be working for the sheriff.

Laurel and Jack fight a strong attraction for each other. When some things start happening and Laurel's uncle shows up, Jack fears Laurel may be in the middle of something and over her head.

Can the situation be diffused before someone gets hurt? Will Jack and Laurel stop fighting their feelings and allow themselves to explore the attraction?

A definite must read!!

Profile Image for Jo-Ann Carson.
Author 33 books315 followers
October 5, 2015
The Sheriff Meets his Match is a Romantic Suspense novella, heavy on the romance, set in the small town of Tidal Falls. Ms. Biggar captures the warmth of the small community where family and friendship ties connect everyone and all the latest news can be found in the local diner called the Grits and Grace Café . But what really sets her writing apart is her understanding of people, her use of visceral details and her subtle sense of humor.
The beautiful and fun loving heroine, Laurel takes a temporary job in the Sheriff’s office and quickly falls for her boss. Jack the Sheriff, a straight-shooting man with a lean body and wide shoulders, can’t keep his eyes off of her. But there’s a problem, actually a few, and for a time it looks like they are destined to be star crossed lovers.
My favorite lines: “Men. You can’t live with them and you can’t shoot ‘em. It’s a felony.”
Profile Image for Connie.
1,481 reviews4 followers
December 24, 2017
I received a complimentary copy of this book and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

I really liked this book. The characters were great and the plot was nicely developed. This is the first book that I have read from this author. I am going to have to go back and read this series from the beginning. The secondary characters who already had their story told seemed interesting as well. I love a good story and this one was. I highly recommend.
697 reviews7 followers
March 10, 2019
Take a chance

I loved Jack and Laurel's story! It's a quirky, humorous read that involves family dynamics and the uncertainty of taking a second chance at love. Being from a small town myself, this one resonated.
87 reviews
March 6, 2019
Sweet

What a great story! It had enough romance and action to leave you satisfied and happy at the end! I would definitely recommend this book for anyone!
Profile Image for Lynn Smith.
2,680 reviews8 followers
September 15, 2019
The Sheriff Meets His Match

Jack avoided getting close to women. He had a teenage daughter to raise and had his heart ripped out already. Laurel was in town as a favor to a friend. Working for the sheriff's department. Jack can't get Laurel out of his mind but something fishy is going on when her uncle shows up in town.
Another great story in the series. Wish it had been longer.q
Profile Image for SassyRedEnigma94.
746 reviews16 followers
March 1, 2019
This was a cute, funny, and sexy little story. I loved the characters, especially feisty Laurel and the honorable and sexy Sheriff Jack Garrett. I found myself laughing a lot at many of the interactions between Laurel and Jack. Even though it was short, this story had a little bit of everything: finding love the second time around, a hot law enforcement officer, a sassy heroine, loving family, (including a slick but funny and lovable uncle), and just enough suspense and danger. I loved it!💖
July 2, 2020
Stop looking back and start looking forward

Sweet love story of a reluctant con and a sheriff,throw in matchmakers,a daughter, and the undeniable attraction between the two. Thanks for the sweet story enjoyed 🥰🥰
868 reviews2 followers
March 13, 2019
Heartwarming, Fun Read

I think this is my first book by Jacquie Biggar, but it won't be my last. These characters are fun and caring, definitely the kind you'd like to meet in a small town. The story is a feel good story about a young woman with a dubious past who is looking for a home and a Sheriff with good reason to avoid falling in love. The heart wants what the heart wants and just maybe it will get it by the end of the story. Heartwarming read. It left me smiling. Enjoy!
2,074 reviews39 followers
October 26, 2017
I enjoyed this romantic novella. I loved the chemistry between the feisty Laurel Thomas and the rugged Sheriff Jack Garrett. The attraction is powerful. Unfortunately there are complications to their romance. Laurel's Uncle is a professional con man who wants her help run a scam. Also a violent man is after them to settle a score. The story is well written and filled with passion and suspense. I enjoyed the writing of Jacquie Biggar. Her characters are engaging. The dialogue is sharp and sassy and the setting is the perfect backdrop to this story.
I received a copy of this book which I voluntarily read and reviewed. My comments are my honest opinion.

Profile Image for Donna.
Author 7 books24 followers
February 23, 2019
Jack, the sheriff met his match when he hired Laurel as his secretary. Her dear uncle, Max was a con-artist and she has been involved in some of his shenanigans. Laurel is trying to go straight and leave crime behind her. However, Uncle Max comes to her new town and sets up another scam expecting her to take part. She refuses. Quite humorous trying to keep Jack unaware of Max and his schemes. I recommend The Sheriff Meets His Match by Jacquie Biggar.
Profile Image for Barbara Hackel.
2,031 reviews23 followers
February 17, 2019
A cute story about family and romance. When a temporary worker catches the boss's eye like nobody has for 15 years, it should be a great thing. But when the temp worker has an uncle who means everything to her, and that uncle is a con man, well it is a little more complicated because the boss is the Sheriff! Against all odds, the Sheriff is smitten by the temp, and in spite of a long con right under his nose, he can't turn off his feelings.

When family means everything and you desperately want more family of your own, all you can do is hope for the best! Short and full of ups and downs, don't miss this delightful book!
February 21, 2019
Small town life at its best

All she wanted was a family. But there were a lot of unexpected hiccups along the way to happiness. I loved this story and would recommend it to any romance lover.
2,013 reviews1 follower
February 20, 2019
Ebook

She’s been a part of a con artist family but wants out. She’s working for the sheriff when her uncle arrives. He’s in trouble.
313 reviews
June 28, 2019
Hot n steamy short story

Get caught up in this hot n steamy small town love story.
Laurel fancies Sheriff Jack
Sheriff Jack fancies Laurel.
Each try to fight against the attraction growing between them, But when they get thrown together literally they realise it's not just wanting lust but they've falling in love with each other.
67 reviews
June 24, 2019
You never know when you will fall for some one!!

Very good and interesting characters. The story was believable and had you trying to figure what comes next.
I really liked that it wasn't a tragedy.There was drama, with enough mystery to keep you interested, but not so much that people were hurt or killed.
Would recommend HIGHlY to everyone, just a good read with a little of everything..
Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,778 followers
October 2, 2015
Jack Garrett is the sheriff in Tidal Falls and he’s seen his fair share of heartbreak. After his wife left him and his daughter, he vowed never to let it happen again. But one look at his new receptionist in her killer red heels, he knew he was in trouble.

Laurel has a serious case of wanting to escape her dysfunctional family, so much so that she up and moved from Florida to Tidal Falls to flee. But like a persistent itch, her uncle finds her and disrupts her happy life. He’s got his eye on an easy mark and Laurel is helpless to stop him.

Her uncle she can handle but the heat cranks up when the sheriff kisses her at the station. She tries to rationalize her feelings as lust but the more she’s around him, the deeper she falls in love. Can she come clean with Jack before he discovers what her family is up to or will he see her for the criminal her uncle is?

I love holiday romances and if you add a few drops of sizzling romantic suspense, I’m all yours. This novella by Jacquie Biggar has it all and more. True, it’s part of the Wounded Hearts series but can be read as a stand-alone as well. But I must warn you, once you’ve had a taste of Tidal Falls and their residents, you’ll want to gobble up the other books in the series.

Favorite Character: Laurel. I loved her sarcasm, her wit but most of all, her heart. She’s got a heart of gold and even though she’s indebted to her uncle for taking care of her when her parents died, she wants to get away from the scams her family pulls on innocent people. She’s got some deep-seated pain from her childhood but she’s a positive person. Plus, her favorite color is pink. ;)

Favorite Quote: You can’t live with them, and you can’t shoot ’em. It’s a felony. ~Laurel speaking about men

My Rating: 5+ stars
Profile Image for Stacey.
971 reviews13 followers
June 23, 2016
this book was gifted to me as a gift . and i also used KU thru the box set love conquers all .
so what happens when the fill in for your normal receptionist is someone who is not qualified . but still there is something about her that draws you in . but what happens when her past and her family come to the small town of Tidal Falls will she be able to stay in Tidal Falls or leave the one man who makes her heart race and keeps her on her toes as he does her . also stay tuned for book five which is an ARC and will be out next monday . as well as you can read it before it comes out by reading Summer Heat . in which i can read it there but is also a ARC so anyways i could not put it down and took til now to read it . can't wait to read Mitch who is one of Ty's best friends as well as Rebecca who is the best friend of Katy . in which in a previous book in the wounded heart series .
Profile Image for Candy Laine.
Author 5 books6 followers
March 4, 2016
When Jared came and snagged up Sara from Jack in Book 3 of the Wounded Heart series I was feeling bad for the sheriff who just couldn't seem to catch a break. Then Laurel with the fantastic shoes and fashion sense gave me hope. As expected the fiery Laurel is in every way a match to the stern Jack. As he admits to himself life with her is not ever going to be boring.

Add in her rather colourful past with Uncle Mike and Jack's already complicated life with a teenage daughter in tow becomes even more complex. Can he get the Uncle and Lauren to trust him enough with their family troubles? Or will the person who was following Lauren end up hurting her as badly as he did her cousin?

Find out how it all goes down when you read this latest instalment in the Wounded Heart series from Tidal Falls. I received an ARC for an honest opinion
Profile Image for Isa LaCroqueuseDeLivres.
489 reviews26 followers
October 30, 2016
***ARC kindly provided by the author, in exchange for an honest review***

What a sweet story!

We have Jack, the sheriff, aka The Law and Order, and then we have Laurel, new in town, aka disorganization and trouble
What could we expect when two opposites are attracted? Sparks, because of the banter, the unsolved sexual tension, and their own past/demons.

Short stories are hard to tell in very few pages, and can be rushed because of their length but in this case I connected with the characters and the story.
I had fun reading this love story, but I wished it were more than a novella.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.