Start by marking “Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie” as Want to Read:
Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie

Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie

The life of Agatha Christie was as mysterious and eventful as her fiction. This beautifully illustrated graphic novel traces the life of the Queen of Whodunnit from her childhood in Torquay, England, through a career filled with success, mischief, and adventure, to her later years as Dame Agatha. Revealing a side to Christie that will surprise and delight many readers, Aga ...more
Published May 10th 2016 by SelfMadeHero (first published August 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha

HFK
I read most Agatha Christie's works when I was a tween nearing my full blown teenager years. I could spend hours of my day dwelling inside her mysteries, specifically the ones that included my all time favorite character; Hercule Poirot.

Christie's stories were inspirational to my young mind. They were always puzzling even when most of the stories carried out the familiar formula and route to the ultimate discovery. I liked the idea of the clues and the murderer being available for the eye to se
Lata
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2018-read, auth-f
The author Anne Martinetti and Guillaume Lebeau begin this biography with a possible explanation for Agatha Christie's disappearance in December 1926. It's plausible, and had me wondering what Christie would say, if anything, about this scenario.
An interesting thread running through this biography is Agatha arguing with Hercule Poirot, and threatening to kill him. Miss Marple and Tommy and Tuppence also show up to chat with Christie. These conversations lend the biography an amusing and fantast
Lotte
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very fast and fun read! It's a graphic novel which offers a very insightful glimpse into Agatha Christie's life, ranging from her childhood to her death. I especially liked the imaginary conversations she had with her most famous character, Poirot. If you're a fan of Agatha Christie's works and have always wanted to know a little bit more about the her as a person, this graphic novel is a great start!
Sam Quixote
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie is the best-selling novelist of all time having sold roughly 2 billion copies and her books are among the most widely-published in the world, third only to Shakespeare and the Bible! But while generations of readers have enjoyed her gripping whodunits, her own life wasn’t quite as interesting as shown in this short biographical comic, Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie.

The book opens with her mysterious disappearance in December 1926, arguably the most compelling episode o
David Schaafsma
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-bio
A pretty slim graphic bio that works to make Christie’s strong independent spirit come to life. As the cover makes clear, Christie grew up a flaming redhead, and that image is meant to be emblematic of that spirit. She was a strong girl who was discouraged from reading—it’s not good for girls to read too early on, her mum said—until the age of 8, but as a woman she was a nurse, flew planes, traveled the world, married archaeologist Max Mallorwan and wrote dozens of mystery novels and plays that ...more
Rebecca
(3.5) Agatha opens – appropriately – with the real-life mystery at the heart of Agatha Christie’s story. In December 1926 the celebrated crime novelist disappeared, prompting a full-scale police investigation. She had abandoned her car by a lake in Surrey and traveled by train to Harrogate, where she checked into a hotel under a false name. Was it all an elaborate act of revenge for her husband’s philandering? Christie strikes up a conversation with Hercule Poirot, her most famous creation, in t ...more
Dov Zeller
I was excited to pick up this book but soon had to force myself through. One would have to work quite hard to make Christie's life dull, but I'm afraid this book did seem a bit dull to me. Even the opening, when Christie disappears and takes on an alternate identity for a spell, didn't come off as very interesting or deepen my sense of her as a human. Maybe there was a distance that made it hard to feel intimate with the person in these pages? A lack of conversationally or analysis. But the even ...more
Amina
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce graphic novel est en quelque sorte une source rapide pour les lecteurs désirant connaître la Dame du crime.
Agatha Christie est une femme très indépendante, intelligente, ayant un très grand amour pour les voyages durant lesquels elle accumule tant d'expérience qui se refletera dans ses nombreux ouvrages.
Même s'il a bien été réalisé, quand on tourne la dernière page, on a le sentiment que Mme Christie deumeure en elle même un mystère.

This graphic novel was a sort of short introduction to the L
D.
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, nonfiction
A slim and excellent biography on the great writer and woman who was Agatha Christie.
Christa
The art was lovely and it was interesting to learn a little more about Agatha Christie (though I reckon her autobiography will likely do a much better job :P), but I felt the graphic novel was too bitty and just lacked something more (perhaps pages, haha).
Rachel
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3. I liked the art in this graphic novel biography of Agatha Christie. The text, though, left a bit to be desired. It lacked a strong narrative flow and was choppy. There weren’t good transitions between scenes and I felt a little like it gave me whiplash jumping from one event to the next, but the timeline in the appendix was very nice. Overall, I enjoyed the summary and glimpse into the details of Agatha Christie’s life.
Stewart Tame
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
It's been a long time since I read any Agatha Christie. I was big on her in high school, but somehow grew out of the habit. It wasn't from any dissatisfaction with her writing or anything. I think what happened was that I drifted over towards science fiction and stopped reading so many mysteries in general. I do have fond memories of her books, though, and enjoyed this book immensely.

It is, as you'd surmise, a biography of Christie in comics form. Everyone has probably heard the story of her bri
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie is such a fascinating woman. This was a fast, fun way to read about her life but it really only skimmed the surface. Agatha has conversations/arguments with Hercule Poirot throughout the graphic novel so that we get to hear her thoughts about her life as well as her feelings about her most famous character. The graphic novel was a good method to whet my appetite making me think I would enjoy a more in depth look at her life.
Jackie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a charming and fast read. I loved the idea of Christie talking to her characters. It was very well done. I would recommend this one to every Christie fan.
Alexandra
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Entertaining read but confusing and partly fragmentary. Timeline at the back helps to make sense of Agatha Christie's life.
Ehbooklover
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I loved this biographical graphic novel about my favourite author. I especially enjoyed the style of the illustrations and the way that Christie's feelings about her famous detectives were portrayed. A must for any fans of The Queen of Crime.
Sheila Beaumont
This graphic biography of Agatha Christie is a fun, quick, informative read. It's all framed by Agatha's mysterious 11-day disappearance in 1926, after she found out about her husband Archie's infidelity. The book covers her travels around the world with Archie (including surfing in South Africa and Hawaii), her wartime work as a nurse, a journey on the Orient Express that inspired one of her best-known novels, her visits to archaeological digs in the Middle East, where she met her second husban ...more
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This made me want to go back and reread all of my favorite Agatha Christie novels. Actually, I just might do that next... This was the first graphic novel biography I've read and it was definitely an interesting format and I did like how it turned out. I feel like I would have appreciated it even more in novel format, simply because I'm just not a visual person, but overall, it was a great and fascinating read and it was so interesting to see Christie's life laid out in this way.
paula
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
One point off for too much "So, Agatha, I read in the paper that your books have been translated into 103 languages" exposition... but hers is a biography worth reading and this is a nice bite-size version.
Melanie Page
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Content Warnings: none

Somewhere along the way, my husband acquired the graphic biography Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie by Anne Martinetti. It is co-authored with Guillaume Lebeau, illustrated by Alexandre Franc, translated from French into English by Edward Gauvin, and was published by Self Made Hero in 2016. I’ve stumbled on a couple of graphic biographies recently, and I’m not sure the genre works. Fire!! The Zora Neale Hurston Story was a hot mess. You had to already know Hurston
Zoe (readabilitea)
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun read that uses her mysterious disappearance in December 1926 as a gateway to explore the life of Agatha Christie. It was funny and interesting, but at times felt too forced and fast-paced.

I was a bit confused when it started with Christie's disappearance, but it was made clear quite soon that this was to be used as a device to look back on Christie's entire life which although did the job, felt too forced as a set up - I didn't need that arc and would have much preferred just goin
Andy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich mag Agatha Christie sehr und darum war, als ich auf diese Graphic Novel stieß, das Buch fast schon ein Muss. Liebevoll wird auf das Leben Agatha Christies eingegangen. In dem Zusammenhang möchte ich auf ihre Autobiographie verweisen, die auch sehr lesenswert ist. Dann wird man, wie vielleicht auch in dieser Graphic Novel, viele Zusammenhänge zu ihren Romanen erkennen.
Meine gute alte Zeit by Agatha Christie
Stephanie (aka WW)
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) This is a very cleanly written and illustrated graphic biography of Agatha Christie. Most interestingly, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple appear as imaginary friends to the writer, allowing her to naturally express her thoughts and feelings. Unfortunately, besides being an extraordinary and extraordinarily prolific writer, Dame Agatha's life was a bore. Apart from a couple of unfaithful husbands, there's not much in her personal story to hold the reader's interest.
Suzanna
A cute book, but it very awkwardly jumped all over the place and tried to give as much info as possible without really explaining any of it. I'm not sure that if I wasn't such a big Christie fan, who very recently read a pretty intensive biography that I still have fresh in my mind, that I would have even been able to follow it honestly, but as such it wasn't the worst way to spend part of an afternoon and it would hopefully pique further interest into her life for more casual fans.
_Leselust_
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Schöne Zeichnungen und interessante Episoden aus dem bewegten Leben der Queen of Crime.
Zusammen mit ihrer Schöpfung Hercule Poirot geht Agatha Christie durch ihr Leben. Später gesellt sich auch Miss Marple dazu. Zusammen erleben sie Heiteres und Tragisches.
Ich habe einiges Neues über das Leben der Autorin erfahren. Und natürlich sofort Lust auf einen ihrer Krimis bekommen. :)
Hillary
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christie's biography is revealed in little snatches, in a way that makes it a little unclear how much time has passed between each one (though there are dates given), but which seems to catch the major incidents of her life.
Marie S.
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I've never read anything about Agatha Christie's life before, so I learn a lot. I enjoy the way her characters were part of the story.
But it didn't peak my interest enough for me to read something else about her life.
Theresa
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed learning more about Agatha Christie's life through this graphic-novel. The pictures were great and it was a fast and fun read.
Léa
Une lecture sympathique qui permet de découvrir les moments clés de la vie d'Agatha Christie.
Simon Yoong
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly entertaining tale about the life of Dame Agatha. She led a troubled life, tormented by insecurities, grief anc ghosts of her own characters.

Maybe I'm just biased since I'm a big fan.
Get Graphic: #19 - Agatha 2 3 Mar 14, 2018 05:20PM
Get Graphic: #19 - Agatha 1 1 Mar 14, 2018 03:41PM

• Fire!!: The Zora Neale Hurston Story
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Irmina
  • Snowden
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • Fire in a Canebrake: The Last Mass Lynching in America
  • The Adventures of Unemployed Man
  • Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Terrorist: Gavrilo Princip, the Assassin Who Ignited World War I
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Older Than the Stars
  • Toil and Trouble
  • The Lindbergh Child (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything