Start by marking “Miracle Man: The Story of Jesus” as Want to Read:
Miracle Man: The Story of Jesus

Miracle Man: The Story of Jesus

Miracle Man is a beautifully illustrated biography of Jesus Christ by award-winning author and illustrator John Hendrix. For all Christian denominations and perfect for families to share throughout the year, this book will be especially beloved by the faithful as a gift for Easter, communions, christenings, religious graduations, and all other secular holidays.

This book
Published February 9th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Miracle Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracle Man

Heidi M Rogers
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't been putting picture books on my "read" lists on Goodreads before because I didn't want them counting toward my yearly reading goal. But I realized it's more important that the greats get their due in reviews.

You guys, this is the most beautiful children's book about Jesus I have ever read. John Hendrix is an exceptionally talented artist (we fell in love with McToad) and his portrayal of Jesus' miracles is both enchanting and moving. I am so grateful that God moved him to write and ill
Becky
First sentence: Ages ago, in a dry and dusty land, the people were in need. The land was a sick place, in need of healing. The land was a blind place, in need of sight. The land was a thirsty place, in need of water...the kind of living water that would last forever.

Premise/plot: Miracle Man is a picture book for readers of all ages. It is the story of Jesus. It begins, not with his birth, but with his ministry. The book ends on the verge of the greatest miracle of all: his resurrection. Reader
orangerful
This book is gorgeous. You can tell how much Hendrix put his heart into creating this story, retelling the gospels. I like how he doesn't refer to him as Jesus until the very end, up until that he is just the Miracle Man, which I'm sure is what those who heard of him might have called him. Lovely.
Becky B
I think Hendrix himself best summarizes this book in his author's note at the end, "This book is based on the life of Jesus, as found in the Bible, in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Miracle Man is my own version of this story. Though based on the gospel narrative of his life and ministry, it should not be confused with the authority of the actual Biblical accounts. The words of Jesus and the disciples here are not direct quotations but my own interpretations of his life and teach ...more
Margie

For those who dedicate their lives to the education of children, the time devoted to this profession does not begin or end at a certain hour each day nor does it begin and end during the allotted school year. For many this extends into tutoring academic subjects, coaching sports, advising club members, chaperoning class trips or school-sponsored camping expeditions or instructing at night classes to children or adults. For still others it includes hours in preparation for teaching on Sundays (or
Rebecca Honeycutt
This hyper-focused take on Jesus' ministry is mainly notable for the stunning, stylized illustration. Hendrix is doing to really interesting things here, especially in the way he weaves the text into the art--Jesus's words are colorfully illustrated until the passion begins, and then the very landscape starts telling the story. Powerful stuff for a picture book.

A couple of notes:
-Jesus and company look less unrealistically Anglo than they typically do in picture books, which is refreshing, and
Brian Walker
Miracle Man is by far the best children's book about Jesus that I have read. John Hendrix illustrated the highlights of Jesus' life exquisitely. I loved the image of flowers and grass growing in the places Jesus' feet walked, leaving footprints worthy of the Man bringing life to a "dry and dusty land." The tone of the story is not preachy (which most children's books about Jesus seem to be), the language is not boxy by trying to remain faithful to the exact text of Scripture, it did not turn Jes ...more
Edward Sullivan
The power of this considerably abbreviated life of Jesus focusing on the many miracles he performs is in Hendrix's dramatic, inventive illustrations that offers a personal, reverent, visually exciting picture book portrait.
Kermit
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Got this title from a list of 2017 Caldecott predictions. I certainly liked the subject matter. But I was not wowed by the flow of the text or by the illustrations.

My library has this cataloged as a picture book. I had thought that it might be cataloged as junior biography.
Emma Hendrix
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dr-smith
The Miracle Man is a version of all the Miracles that Jesus had ever done. It goes to back to the start of finding his 12 disciples and the fish they could not catch. Then The Miracle man told them to cast their nets on the opposite side of the boat. The fishermen were surprised when the net was so full it could break. From there on the men followed Jesus. They traveled and watched all of his Miracles, over the ages. The Miracle Man... Jesus Christ himself.
Allie
The illustrations are truly exceptional, but what use is it to me if I will never read it again? There's no context in which it would be appropriate for me to use this book in any library program, nor would I ever want to. Also in what world is this a story that needs telling again?
Hannah
Awesome! Awesome!!!! So beautifully illustrated!! The illustrations were vivid and brought the text to life! It was Biblically accurate but presented the story of Jesus in a way that children can understand! Soooo wonderful!!!!
Robby Eckard
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Robby by: Rebekah Powell
Art was gorgeous and especially enjoyed the blending of Jesus' words with the background. Storytelling could have been a bit smoother at times.
Rebecca Gomez
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Blown away by the beauty of this thoughtful retelling of the story of Jesus.
Jaime
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really beautiful book. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Maeve
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some of the text is hard to read because of the way it is incorporated into the illustrations.
Marie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I now own a copy. Every pastor, at a minimum, needs a copy of this book.
Kendra
Beautiful layout & illustrations. The author's message in the back is amazing. A few of the spreads were not as historically accurate as I would have liked.
Sharie
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars...Even more so after the awards won!
Rachel
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice personal view of the Story of Jesus pulled from the scriptures.
Katrina
Just gorgeous! He does such interesting things with hand lettering (occasionally those parts are a little hard to read) and there are so many details to pour over. The writing isn't as strong, but I didn't care because the point is really the illustrations.
Akilah
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, picture-book
2.5 stars, rounding down

This one was just okay for me. Though I liked the illustrations in general, I found the flow of the text and breakout words hard to read/follow at times. Also, the way the text was written made it seem like Jesus was yelling all the time.
Lauren Barber
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kayla
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has some of the most powerful and beautiful illustrations I have ever seen. John Hendrix without a doubt should've won the Caldecott award for this book. The illustrations are colorful, eye catching, and creative. It takes you through the ministry of Jesus all the way to him being resurrected from the dead, showing his many miracles along the way in story book fashion. Some of the miracles shown are when Jesus heals the leper, the paralytic, and the blind man, when he walks on water, a ...more
Rachel Fellows
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I came across this book at my local indie bookstore earlier today and immediately grabbed it up off the shelf for a looksee. I'm an adamantly secular person, but I love learning about religion and making sure my kids learn about religion. The only difficulty is in finding books that are both engaging *and* age appropriate *and* beautifully illustrated. Aside from Devi's books about Mohammed and some other religious heroes, I just get frustrated with how little there is that is aesthetically plea ...more
Smellick
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Children are curious about religion, their own and others. This book is a highly recommended addition to the 200s. Books abound about Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, but a book about Jesus is rare indeed. The illustrations are Caldecott worthy and the text appropriate for the intended audience.
Jess
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
July 2016 - I feel like a lot of Bible story picture books fall into two categories - illustrated with beautiful, old paintings that are majestic but not always so good at actually illustrating the story, or cutesy. I hate cutesy. This one is pleasantly in between - the illustrations are wonderful, a bit majestic, never cutesy, but also really and truly illustrating the story being told. It also makes the story accessible to a preschool audience, something that's hard to find. My only quibble is ...more
Leslie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, picturebooks
A beautiful narrative and unique illustrations.
Jen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The artwork is outstanding. Gorgeous, striking, unique, with some quiet details that opened a world of meaning, like the snake and apple on the roof in the arrest scene. The story is told very well, also.

It is also explicitly Christian. There is nothing Biblically inaccurate, though I find myself a bit torn about how I feel about it theologically. The focus is on Jesus' miracles, which I appreciate, but I wish it hadn't stopped without a bit more with the resurrection.

I loved the, "Have faith in
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jazz Day: The Making of a Famous Photograph
  • Martina & Chrissie: The Greatest Rivalry in the History of Sports
  • Florence Nightingale
  • Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
  • Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic
  • Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
  • A Poem for Peter
  • John Ronald's Dragons: The Story of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Sky Painter: Louis Fuertes, Bird Artist
  • Preaching to the Chickens

John Hendrix is the illustrator of Nurse, Soldier, Spy and author/illustrator of Shooting at theStars, among others. He lives in St. Louis, Missouri.