Start by marking “Hannah and Sugar” as Want to Read:
Hannah and Sugar

Hannah and Sugar

Every day after school, Hannah’s school bus is greeted by her classmate’s dog, Sugar. All of the other kids love Sugar, but Hannah just can’t conquer her fear of dogs. Then, one day, Sugar goes missing, so Hannah joins the search with her classmates. Will Hannah find a way to be brave, and make a new friend in the process?
Published March 8th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Hannah and Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah and Sugar

Start your review of Hannah and Sugar
Jordan
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hannah and Sugar is easily the frontrunner for the best picture book of the year.

It’s sweet, it’s wise, and it’s so damn heartwarming. It’s somewhat surprising that this is author/illustrator Kate Berube’s first children’s book, because it’s clear that not only does she understand kids, but she understands how to tell a story (and draw such charming pictures, too!). She starts and ends her book the same way, with just a different result for Hannah, and you can’t help but feel all tingly on the i
Abigail
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Are Afraid of Dogs / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Overcoming Fear
Every day when Hannah gets home from school, her Papa is waiting for her at the bus-stop. And every day Mrs. P is waiting for Violet P., together with the P. family dog, Sugar. Hannah, who is terrified of Sugar, always declines to touch the dog, although all of her schoolmates enjoy petting her. But when Sugar goes missing one day, and Hannah considers what it would feel like to be lost and alone, her sympathy is aroused. When Hannah finds Sugar in the bushes outside her home, will she conquer h ...more
KC
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hannah once afraid of dogs learns to overcome her fear.
Mississippi Library Commission
What a lovely picture book! Hannah learns to face her fears in order to help an animal in need. This is a sweet, gentle read that has appeal for the animal lover in us all.
Kirsten
This is a sweet picture book about a little girl overcoming her fear of dogs (or at least of one particular dog). The illustrations do a great job of getting across Hannah's body language, as well as Sugar's, and the dog's body language is realistic and not anthropomorphized too much. My toddler readily empathized with the situation and enjoyed the simple story.

Notes on representation:
Crowd scenes show a mix of white people and people of color. Hannah herself is white.
Moms3Kidz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Hannah and Sugar is such a sweet book to read. I read it to my two smaller boys ages 2 and 4.
They loved the story. This is a good way to show preschoolers and school aged kids how to overcome their fear of dogs. The illustrations are beautiful, and it is incredibly subtle in the way it teaches about being brave when you're afraid. Awesome work Kate Berube!
Gina
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty simple, but could be good for children scared of dogs.
Elisabeth
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So sweet! I loved that Hannah conquers her fears on her own and that her Papa never pushes her. The illustrations are adorable.
Morgan
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Believe it or not, this girl was terribly afraid of dogs for most of my life -- now that I can't imagine my life without a canine by my side, I've always thought it would be a great topic for a children's book. Not feeling comfortable or safe around even the nicest of dogs was something I felt really insecure about -- but this sweet little story makes it normal and okay to feel nervous, and might show other dog-fearing kids that you can be brave and dogs can be kind.
Rebecca Petruck
HANNAH AND SUGAR is lovely. Hannah is a young girl afraid of a dog, and Sugar is the dog. The deceptively simple story guides the reader to experience a moment of empathy, and shows how that moment can change not only a situation but also transform you and others around you. Gentle, kind, with soothing illustrations, HANNAH AND SUGAR is a gift of a book.
Christiane
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every day at the bus stop Hannah is asked if she would like to pet her classmate's dog, Sugar, and every day she says "No, thank you." Then one day Sugar goes missing. Will Hannah be brave enough to help? I love the illustrations in this book; they really convey Hannah's emotions. I know some kids are scared of dogs. Maybe this will help them be brave and make a new friend!
Heather
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-library
A sweet story for anyone but especially for those who need to conquer a fear be it of dogs or something else.
Kathy
A lovely book. I'll read this for a story time about pets.
Devera Chandler
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars
Beautiful illustrations to accompany a beautiful story about a young girl overcoming her fear of dogs.
Jason
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I love the full page spread (that is a larger version of the cover) of Hannah and Sugar staring at each other. What strange relationships humans have with their domestic animals sometimes...
Brittany
"Hannah and Sugar" by Kate Berube is a cute book about a girl who is fearful to pet Sugar, a dog that is always waiting with her owner at the bus stop. When Sugar goes missing, Hannah places herself in the dog's shoes and realizes that she must be sad and hungry and miss her home. When Hannah hears a noise coming from the bushes, she looks and discovers Sugar. Hannah nearly leaves, but decides to be brave and reaches out and pets the dog. The dog is friendly and Hannah is no longer afraid of her ...more
Melissa
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We discovered this book through Emily Arrow's wonderful "Storytime Singalong" album - and you can check out the accompanying video for her Hannah and Sugar song here: https://youtu.be/dnaRiV6I84s (which is a total must for anyone who loves this book!)

The story tells of Hannah who, every day after school, sees Sugar but is too scared to pet her. But when Sugar goes missing and the whole neighborhood pitches in to look for her, can Hannah overcome her fears to save Sugar?

It was a charming and sw
Hannah Feeney
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hannah is afraid of dogs and doesn't pet Sugar after school like the other children. One day when Sugar goes missing, Hannah finds Sugar at night in a bush. She overcomes her fear and gets Sugar to come out of the bush. Everyone is so happy! This is a great story about overcoming fears. The illustrations are simple yet brilliant. The black page where Hannah decides to overcome her fear is truly powerful!
Diane
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every day, Hannah sees Sugar at the bus stop. And every day, Hannah politely declines to pet Sugar. One day, when she gets off the bus, she hears that Sugar is missing. She knew that if she was lost she would be sad. When she hears the strange noise, she summons up her courage and there is Hannah.

A simple story about overcoming fears to which many students will relate.
Earl
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming story about a girl who ends up facing her fears when one of her friend's dog goes missing.

Aspiring picture book creators would do themselves a great favor by studying this book on how to do it right. The text has a certain rhythm perfect for reading aloud. There are a couple of spreads that are quite effective in the way it moves the story forward and creates significance with the illustrations alone.
Ellon
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A short, simple book about overcoming fears. I think kids will like it but it was a little too simple to leave a lasting impression. I didn’t care for the style of illustrations but the story is pretty sweet.
Michelle Matash
This book had a good message of getting over your fears. It was a very simple read and the pictures helped tell the story. Although Hannah was afraid of Sugar, when she found her in the dark she put her fears behind her because she knew how scared Sugar must have been.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A great story about a girl named Hannah who is nervous around dogs. Hannah overcomes her fears in order to help a lost dog named Sugar.
Miss Sarah
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A very cute story about a little girl who doesn't want to pet the dog at the bus stop but worries about him when he goes missing. Any age group. Perfect for those working on over coming fears.
Jill Pickle
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So sweet and quiet. A great choice for kids who are shy or afraid of dogs.
Amy
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Using Emily Arrow’s song to go with the book which will make Hannah and Sugar come to life even further. Sweet story.
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute! This is a sweet story about how a girl overcomes her fear of a dog. The artwork is beautiful, the story is simple yet effective. This is one we'll be reading again.
Cecilia
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
About overcoming a childhood fear to help someone in need. <3 very sweet, if a bit simplistically handled ...more
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable. Valuable story. Really lovely art. One I want to own.
Viviane Elbee
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute book. The kids enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Escargot
  • The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach, Don't!
  • The Sandcastle That Lola Built
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Cat Wishes
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Julia's House for Lost Creatures
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Don't Feed the Coos!
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • The Dress and the Girl
  • Santa Bruce
Kate’s debut picture book as an author and illustrator is HANNAH AND SUGAR, published by Abrams Books For Young Readers. Kate illustrated THE SUMMER NICK TAUGHT HIS CATS TO READ, by Curtis Manley - published by Simon & Schuster’s Paula Wiseman Books. Kate also illustrated MY LITTLE HALF-MOON by Douglas Todd Jennerich - published by Putnam Books. Kate now lives in Portland, Oregon.

Kate Berube (Bear