Start by marking “Klickitat” as Want to Read:
Klickitat

Klickitat

When Audra does come back for Vivian, she’s in the company of a strange man. The three of them run away together and practice wilderness survival.
Published April 12th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

Alyssa
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
My first thought when I finished KLICKITAT was: what did I just read. But not in a bad way, because the more I thought about it, the more I realized I enjoyed this book, although I am still at a loss on how to rate it.

KLICKITAT has been compared to THE VIRGIN SUICIDES and WE WERE LIARS. I would almost add in OF SCARS AND STARDUST, but even that wouldn't be accurate; this is something entirely new, and I'm always up for a unique story.

Vivian is a somewhat unreliable narrator, which only adds to
Barbara
Amy
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-literature
When I read the blurb for the book, I got goosebumps and expected it to be deliciously creepy but not creepy enough to make me check all of the locks on my doors. What I read has left me confused. Maybe I missed the point of it or am too concrete in my interpretation of it. There are two sisters, one of whom has some type of mental illness. The older sister decides that society/technology is too much and wants to live in the woods. She runs off with a guy and then that guy comes back later for t ...more
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This book was rambling and confusing and full of questions. It’s about two sisters who are incredibly close: Vivian and Audra. Audra is a huge brat who constantly yells at her parents, sneaks out of the house and complains about how her parents are “robots” because they expect her to do silly things like go to school or get a job. Insane, right? The parents don’t have a huge role in the book because it really is about the relati
T.J. Burns
Klickitat was a rather strange read. Questions just kept piling up throughout the entire story, so much so that three-fourths through, I still had no idea what the story was about. I still have no idea.

(view spoiler)
Lorrie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, peter-rock
BRILLIANT!!!!!
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
I think I need some time to let this settle in before trying to form coherent thoughts about it.
E.C. Newman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I don’t know. I really just don’t know.
Bill Hsu
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This has the kind of quiet, elusive open-endedness that Rock does so well. I enjoyed this, but it's probably a bit less tight and tense than his best work.
Jen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
My thanks to NetGalley and ABRAMS Kids Amulet Books for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.

Errr...whut? This book was more confusing then it needed to be I think. It makes sense, but only after a LOT of heavy thinking that brings the thinker to the conclusion, "well, THAT was unnecessary".

Unreliable narrator, so the mystic realism could just be their lack of connection to reality and all in their head, or it could be real. I think more on the side of real, but it was really painful to
Kibbenza
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
What did I just read?

That was the thought that hit me after I finished the book, and it stuck with me the entire night. I just do not understand what happened in this book. On the surface, it's a book about two sisters. The oldest, Audra, is obsessed with people becoming stuck in ruts, turning into "robots", and thinks that running away to live in the wilderness is the only way to escape that fate. The younger, by a year or so, Vivian, has some kind of undisclosed mental illness that requires h
Krystianna
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Klickitat follows Vivian, whose older sister ran away. The story begins when Audra is still at home, though she likes talking about a guy while leaving out many details. It's also evident that Audra is a very different girl who wants to live in a different way. She also never wears shoes. When she leaves, Vivian's life is completely different.

I read Klickitat fairly quickly once I finally sat d
Kirsty
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This wasn't at all what I expected. Here's the blurb:

"Vivian feels left behind when her older sister, Audra, runs away from home. She believes that Audra will return and pays careful attention to the clues around her. Then, inexplicably, writing begins to appear in a blank notebook.
When Audra does come back for Vivian, she's in the company of a strange man. The three of them run away together and practice wilderness survival. While Audra plans for the future, Vivian continues to gather evidence:
Lucija The Reader
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Abrams & Chronicle for providing me a physical copy of this book.

I love this book so much. It was amazing and interesting, but there are two things that I didn't really like: the story was a bit slower the first 100 pages, I didn't really like Audra as a character. I didn't understand her choices. This book was thrilling, but not as much as I expected it to be. The writing was really nice. This book really deserves 4/5 stars! :)
Dianah
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A young adult novel addressing adolescent mental health issues, Klickitat is eerie and filled with tension. When older sister Audra leaves home, younger sister Vivian is completely distraught. Set in Portland, by local author Peter Rock, Klickitat is a haunting story of broken souls looking for solace. A story thread that references a character from Rock's "My Abandonment," is a delicious surprise. Beautiful!
Judith
Aug 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really loved "My Abandonment" by this author but haven't enjoyed any of his works since then. I have friends who are ardent fans of his, so I keep trying their recommendations but without any success. This is another story of wilderness survival in the Northwest, a subject I find very interesting but I just couldn't be drawn into the story. Different strokes. . . .etc.
Kelly
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yal
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of Nothing by Janne Teller in the way adults are almost irrelevant to the adolescents and in the existentialist atmosphere.
Katie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok

My main issues with this book were 1. the writing was really rough in some areas and 2. no one talked like a real person. There were other things, like how at times the timeline was very confusing and it seemed like everything was purposefully obfuscated, but I could let those things go because they do kind of make sense after the reveal at the end.

SO. The writing. By about page 60 or so it became very clear that the author never used any synonyms for "said," and that that word appeared
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I really wanted to like this. After all, the title bears the name of the street address of one of my all-time favorite characters, Ramona Quimby! Peter Rock's novel however, is in sharp contrast to the relatively benign problems faced by the Quimby family. A disturbing albeit absorbing read about Vivian, a young teen who follows Audra, her angry, controlling older sister on a quest to get away from the "robot" life led by those in mainstream suburbia. The catalyst for the sisters' desire to runa ...more
Erin McHugh
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I suppose it may go without saying, this was a strange, strange book. Upon reading the blurb, I thought it would be a story of two sisters quite literally running away from home and living in the wild, you know, “My Side of the Mountain” by Jean Craighead George style. I was sooo desperately wrong. Vivian was an unreliable narrator whose POV left me confused most of the time. Although her love for Audra was sweet, it left me feeling like there should be something more, much like the rest of the ...more
Phoebe Moon
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5
I don’t really see the point. This books wasn’t plot driven, character driven, or even setting driven. I supposed the focus was meant to be on the more abstract and mystical. But I didn’t really get any of that until the end. I found it easy to read, but boring. It felt simple, the characters bland. I loved the pieces of writing from the yellow notebook, I loved the snippets of conversation with Iceland. I loved the strangeness of the end. It was only then that I understood what was probably
Allegra S
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book doesn't make any sense!! I honestly don't know any sisters that act like they're totally dependent and "in love" with each other. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean love each other in a normal sister way, it was more a of a Virgin Suicides, cult-y, completely dependent on each other way. The main character does not act like a teenager, more like an emotionally stunted 8-year-old blindly following her sister's whims. It's so unrealistic and I just couldn't get into it.

Secondly after they
Rach H
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this is a good book, but even now that I’ve finished it I don’t actually know what it’s about? Honestly, I’m not sure I understand anything that happened in it. And I’m a bit dissatisfied with all the questions left unanswered in the end, but it was definitely a compelling read.

Note: The inside flap blurb is an absolutely terrible representation of the story, but that’s fairly typical these days, isn’t it?
Linda
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the way the author wrote this story, but It made me sad at the end. I wanted it to end in a better way. I don't want to give away the story so I'm not sure what else to say. An easy read that you will get pulled into very easily. Suspenseful.
Kelli Jo
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This book caught my interest from the first chapter. It is a story that has no down time. I enjoy a read that makes me lose track of reality for a little bit. This story definitely does that.
Casey Remer
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eerie and beautiful. Will be thinking about this one for awhile.
Alivia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting if you like strange books, it was hard for me to put it down.
Anna
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, with a strange and interesting plot, and strangely creepy undertones. It was really fun to read a book set in the city you live in, where the characters visit places you have actually been to before. My only criticism would be that it is a bit slow moving and not much has really changed at the end of the book, but I still wouldn't say it was boring. Overall good!
Kelly Gunderman
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Klickitat is quite possibly one of the most unique, strange books that I have read, and that isn't a bad thing. This book pulled off a story that, while at first I didn't know if I would enjoy, I ended up applauding how well it was written and how unique the plot itself is.

Vivian and her older sister, Audra, live in a nice suburban family with their parents. The sisters are pretty close, and since Vivian has a
C Bradley
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I was 2/3 across the country when I saw it in a discount pile and the title caught my eye because, back home, I like across the river from Klickitat County and near the town of Klickitat. The title was based on a family that lived on Klickitat street. A weird and dysfunctional family that I could not say was so weird and dysfunctional. Like many other reviewers, there were bits and pieces I liked a lot. But much of the time, I had little idea what was going on and w ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Audra's Bedroom 2 8 Apr 06, 2017 09:31AM
Play Book Tag: Kickitat by Peter Rock 1.5 stars rounded to 2 1 11 Jun 29, 2016 04:26PM

• Sleuth on Skates
  • Other Brother
  • The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club, #2)
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Comfort
  • The Birthday Room
  • Girlhearts (Sarabeth, #2)
  • Where Will I Live?
  • The Murders in the Rue Morgue
  • Dorothea's Eyes: Dorothea Lange Photographs the Truth
  • Forests of the Night
  • Overboard
  • Sammy Keyes and the Kiss Goodbye (Sammy Keyes, #18)
  • Windcatcher
  • Save Me, Kurt Cobain
  • Three Bird Summer
  • Created (Watched, #3)
  • Jasmine Skies
Peter Rock was born and raised in Salt Lake City. His most recent novel is The Night Swimmers, which involves open water swimming, fatherhood, psychic photography and the use of isolation tanks as a means to inhabit the past. He is also the author of the novels SPELLS, Klickitat, The Shelter Cycle, My Abandonment, The Bewildered, The Ambidextrist, Carnival Wolves and This Is the Place, as well as ...more
“You can still talk with her," Iceland said. "It will take time. Everything you need to know is inside you, the same as it's inside her. You'll figure out how to talk to each other. You'll have to figure out how to listen, to understand."

"I'm listening," I said. "I will.”
1 likes
“There is so much for you to do," she said. "So many places."

"How do you know?" I said.

"I can feel it," she said.”
1 likes