Start by marking “Abracadabra, It's Spring!” as Want to Read:
Abracadabra, It's Spring!

Abracadabra, It's Spring!

Sun shines on a patch of snow.
Hocus pocus!
Where did it go?

Winter turns to spring in this lyrical book that celebrates the magic of nature and the changing seasons. Eleven gatefolds open to re-create the excitement and surprise of spring’s arrival, revealing what happens when snow melts, trees bud, flowers bloom, birds arrive, and eggs and cocoons hatch. Finally, it’s warm
Published February 16th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Abracadabra, It's Spring!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abracadabra, It's Spring!

Start your review of Abracadabra, It's Spring!
Calista
This was a hit all around in this house. The nephew loves open-the-flap books and this is an amazing example of open the flap. It is about the magic of spring and how all the sudden the green simply pops out and all the miracles of spring that abound.

The set up is look at it in winter, there are no leaves on the trees, then she uses a magic word like abracadabra, she has a different one for each page, and then you open the flap and see the beautiful leaves on the trees. It is a beautiful quick
Sylvester
5* art
5* poem

Yes, I probably like this more than Squirt does, but I love it. It's a fun play on words, and the illustrations are beyond beautiful - ravishing colour (I wish I could buy a print of one of these pages - honestly, they could be a cure for depression) - Susan Gal is an amazing artist. Anyway, the magical surprise of Spring is fully conveyed on every level. I love reading this to Squirt. He enjoys the colours and lifting the flaps to see how the world changes.
Ms. Jeane
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this book would be a big hit with the storytime kids for Spring storytime but I actually had a really hard time engaging them in it until I started telling them to throw magic at the book and them turned the page while I said the magic words. I'm not sure why kids didn't relate to it otherwise.
Darla
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the Art work!! the rhyming was cute. only drawback is this book will need special handling by the user, almost every page is a large flap open spread! the littles who this is designed for will tear it easily. :(
Kelly
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the artwork! The flap pages add a layer of engagement that wonderfully surprising and should go over well with children and parents alike.
Tasha
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Through a series of large flaps, this picture book demonstrates the transformation from late winter into spring. From the very first page, snow melts away to show bare ground as rabbits watch in wonder. Green shoots become crocuses. Bare branches burst into soft pussy willows. Birds fly, nests are built, eggs hatch. Even children change their clothes and head outside into the warm day. This is a magical way to introduce small children to the wonder of seasonal change.

The gatefold flaps in this
Phil Lemons
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-books
The artwork is fantastic in this book. I could see prints being hung as posters in a child's bedroom. I personally stumbled trying to read this book and didn't realize it was a rhyming book until half way through. Perhaps another read will increase my appreciation of the text. The boy loves unfolding of the pages to see what is hiding.

We spent time looking at the pictures in this one. More so than we spent on the story. A couple of times the boy wanted to unfold the page more than he wanted to
Christine Turner
Spring -- Juvenile fiction.
Nature stories.
Seasons -- Juvenile fiction.
Sun shines on a patch of snow.
Hocus pocus!
Where did it go?
Winter turns to spring in this lyrical book that celebrates the magic of nature and the changing seasons. Eleven gatefolds open to re-create the excitement and surprise of spring's arrival, revealing what happens when snow melts, trees bud, flowers bloom, birds arrive, and eggs and cocoons hatch. Finally, it's warm enough to pack away winter clothes and go out and
Amanda Geske
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book exploring the transition from winter to spring. Would be a wonderful read-aloud, since each page comes with an exciting magical phrase to Alacazam! you into a magnificent, colorful fold-out illustration. After reading others' reviews, I'm grateful to be part of a library system that will circulate fold-out books, since this is a treasure.
Olivia Slykhuis
A very visually impressive book, although it might be difficult to make out the pictures from further away. Lots of nonsense words, which I think kids would enjoy. Lift the flaps-type fold out pages that transform the landscape from winter to spring. Details of pictures would work well for asking questions and having discussions with kids. Not sure what age I would use this for. Will ask someone.
Great Books
May 03, 2016 added it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Celebrate the season with this enchanting book! Each page includes magic words before revealing a trick of Mother Nature's. With rhyming text and fun words this book is sure to conjure laughs and cast a spell on readers.
Reviewer # 21
Peggy Archer
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hocus-pocus! Lift the flap to find the magic! The author uses different magical terms to show the transformation of winter into to spring. This is a beautiful picture book on many levels. Nice rhythm and rhyme and illustrations bring the story to life!
Laura Salas
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful picture book about spring! "Lacy blossoms--here comes a breeze. Whish and whoosh! Confetti trees!" Vibrant art, unusual rhymes, and a quick-tumbling meter capture the ever-changing magic of spring.
Amanda
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
O'Brien needs to write one of these for all of the seasons! I loved Abracadabra, It's Fall!, so I'm pretty sure I would love it if she would cover Winter and Summer, too.
Teresa Howard
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful illustrations. A nice, simple story, good for story time.
Myla Perrelli
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations, straight and too the point. The flaps are great!
Jules
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Glorious illustrations and charming text will make you want to live inside the pages. Each page unfolds to reveal more wonders. A great story time read with youngsters.
Stephanie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, would be great for story time. Not sure the "magic" words are necessary-- I totally get why they're there-- but maybe take away from it?
Robin
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Really pretty with big flaps. Might be fun for spring story times in spite of small size. Recommended for ages 2-4.
Rebecca Ann
These illustrations are interactive with fold-out panels and magic words to make different seasonal events take place. A very fun storytime read, though a bit unwieldy.
Kristen
My new favorite storytime book for spring! Art is vibrant, perfect for large group readalouds. Rhyming word revealed with opening of fold-out page. Gorgeous!
Jennifer Miera
Magical words introduce the changes of spring in this colorful picturebook.
J
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a visual feast. It would make a great group read as you can have everyone say the "magic words" with you.
Jesse
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whimsical illustrations accompany "magical" transformations from winter to spring.
Robin Raines-Bond
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bright colorful interactive illustrations! You will learn some great Magic words too. Sweet story.
Ranea
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! I will be using this for baby storytime next Monday.
Miss Sarah
A cute book about spring using magic words and simple text to describe the changing season. each page is a fold out. Baby and up. toddlers will delight.
Jason
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aw, this was really light and sweet and fun and colorful...
Chelsea
While I appreciated what the book was trying to do, in teaching the reader about the transitions from one season to another, this book appeared to be lacking something.

+Book
-List
Angela
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, seasons
Beautiful illustrations and I think the rhymes are clever. The page turn is a great surprise and it's short enough for toddler time (maybe).
« previous 1 3 next »

• There’s a Monster in Your Book
  • Because
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • Have You Seen Elephant? (Gecko Press Titles)
  • The Great Indoors