Start by marking “Het masker van de tijd” as Want to Read:
Het masker van de tijd

Het masker van de tijd

Verschillende mensen die elkaar tijdens of na de Tweede Wereldoorlog hebben ontmoet, gaan na de oorlog op zoek naar personen die zijn verdwenen. Daarbij stuiten ze op raadselachtige en tragische gebeurtenissen. Glamourroman met sex, spanning en sensatie.
Published August 1st 1994 by Van Holkema & Warendorf (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Het masker van de tijd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het masker van de tijd

Start your review of Het masker van de tijd
Jonkonfui
At the beginning I thought this one was goint to be my favourite book of the year: the "historical" plot was really interesting, the characters appealling, the pace not too slow, not too fast. No unending introspection to display the motives of the characters. No 12 pages long descriptions of a table. It was a book of action, the different plots all equally interesting... but then came "love" and with it everything changed...for worse!: the story became boring, the characters rather stupid, the ...more
Frances Smythe
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just added to a personal dilemma....each time I finish a Marius Gabriel book I think its my favourite and having just finished The Mask of Time, this is my latest favourite! I really enjoyed this story and even though it covered 3+ generations, I found myself thoroughly involved with characters from each of those generations. You could easily sit and read this in one go without realising the time and I felt rudely interrupted every time I had to put it down to get off the train, cook ...more
Finnternational
I really enjoyed this book until the last few chapters. I would've rated it higher if the ending was different. It had a great story and characters that all fitted together as you read on. When the characters figured out what was going on, it was interesting enough, going back to the war and things that had happened decades ago.
Enter some rattlesnakes and the whole thing goes downhill. I don't know if the author had that in mind all along or decided to add a twist at the end. Worth reading,
Marnix Kerkhoff
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning the different story lines didn't seem to have any relation to another. How surprising when they do come together and even more so, how surprising the end!
I really liked to read this novel and I was completely 'absorbed' it. The very different time phases and locations are very compelling and I would love to see a film of this book.
Jeannette Modesto
My third book from this author and I loved this read.
Dani Bonam
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joan
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A captivating story plague by loose research

The multi generational story is interesting and captivating the characters richly drawn. But the obvious parallels of grandmother mother daughter are a little bit too obvious for a writer of this stature, and basic research yielded mistakes.
Pat Park
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story from Marius Gabriel.
He moves the characters around from one country to another at the start of each chapter.
Once you get used to this it is easy to follow .
The story line is good ,and the book is hard to put down . Marius intertwines the lives of characters
until it all makes the story complete . Some war, death , love , lust & intrigue .
I'll not tell you any more .
Read it .Its good.
Spectrum Audiobooks
Another fantastic historic fiction

I really enjoyed this world war II historic fiction that alternates between history and modern times. Gabriel is an excellent writer and I always enjoy his work
Alison Offerdal
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing....

In trying to discover her roots, Kate unwittingly draws herself and her daughter into the murky world of the Second Workd War and its secrets. A great read, full of twists and turns.
Linda
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like the ending

The ending was a total surprise. I didn't like it. However the book grips you with wanting more right from the beginning. The humanity of people caught up in a war, those who are evil, those who are true heroes helping others
Pamela
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Highly recommend.
Elizabeth Sharp
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Surprising end to a great read. WW II has become my new book obsession. So much I did not know.
Rebecca Sanders
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite a 5! I enjoyed it!
linda beton
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

You need to keep turning the pages. I found it a satisfying not predictable ending. Excellent pace and writing. Would recommend.
Mary Beth
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot. A choppy beginning gave way to a twist at the end which I didn't like. It serves as an explanation, however.

Will definitely read more of his works.
Joy H.
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as decided-not-to-read-it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Added June 11, 2018
(Published January 14th 2014 by Thistle Books (first published January 1st 1993)

This seems to be one of the author's early books, (first published in 1993)

June 18, 2018 - Having read other books by this author, I find his themes too dark. So I've decided not to read this book.
Dane Cobain
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

The Mask of Time is a cracker of a book, one of those rare novels which jumps backwards and forwards in time throughout the narrative and which, nevertheless, still makes for a highly enjoyable read. Too many authors move through time as a gimmick, but Gabriel had no other choice his story wouldnt have made sense without it.

Broadly speaking, the plot follows a mother and daughter who discover that a previously
Anette
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When journalist Anna Kelly's mother, Kate is attacked and left in a coma, Anna searches the wreckage of Kate's Vail, Colorado, apartment for the reason behind the savage act. Kate had become obsessed with her hunt for an American World War II POW who may or may not have survived the Nazi camps. And now Kate's daughter finds tantalizing clues to decades-old secrets.

Anna will learn for the first time about her mother's birth in wartime Italy to brave young Candida Cipriani, and Candida's two
Desiree Griffin
*I received this book as a gift from the author. My honest review is being given in exchange of receiving this free copy. My review my own and was not influenced by the author nor have I received anything for it in return.
Another great read by Marius Gabriel. This book was a real page turner and very hard to put down. I love how the author was able to take you back and forth through time and have everything come together perfectly in the end. I admit that I was, at first, worried that I would
Jan
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story Line. Illegitimate child of a WWII union is forcible brought from Italy to England upon the death of mothers family. Mother died at birth. Unloved by her Italian family she is neither loved by the British. She makes her way in the world.

Story jumps continuous, and is hard to follow, one moment in UK, next in WWII Italy, then in WWII Russia, next in modern day America. I like a smooth read!

Main Characters, illegitimate daughter Kate, her daughter Anna, her new boyfriend, and the man they
Gloria Iversen
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Mr. Gabriel has not disappointed. The end was a bit surprising and disappointing. But the story was anything but amazing as all are. I think I have read all of your books now. hurry and write more. Once you start a book it is so hard to put down The man is very knowledgable and makes interesting stories from his knowledge. Thank you sir.

Once again Mr Gabriel has done it. The end was a bit surprising and disappointing, but the story was amazing as all his works are. I have read all of
Dee
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book really fell short of my expectations. The story was well thought out and written in such a way so as to keep the reader guessing. However, the writing unnecessarily descriptive with choppy transitions. It was hard to follow the author's flow at times and difficult to keep reading. This was my first book by Marius Gabriel, but judging by other reviews, his fans were not disappointed. Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for the free copy!
June Finnigan
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Breathtaking Wartime Epic

A wartime love affair in Italy produces a baby girl, but the mother dies. We follow the desperate attempt of the girl in middle age to find her father, but she uncovers a terrible history putting her own life at risk. Brilliant and vivid.
June Finnigan - Writer
S, Buckingham
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the second Marius Gabriel novel I read. Again, a very clever story and one of those you simply do not want to put down. Very enjoyable and the perfect novel to read if you want to be totally absorbed and in another world. Highly recommend!
Kelly Waydick
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Some people might have trouble following it with all the jumping around from past and present and the different places! I found myself reaching for it every chance I could get! and we are haeded to one of the places in the book in a few weeks so it was kind of funny that it was in there!
Robert Grieco
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely well written. In fact, it's got to be obne of the finest novels I've read in a very long time. The characters and suspense is top notch. It will not disappoint. I'm now hooked on Marius Gabriel and plan to read all his other books!
Laura Davies
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked on this book from the beginning. So many twists and turns. I particularly loved the flash back in time brought the past to life. I really wanted to believe that Joseph was still alive. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Penny
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harrowing plot with twists and turns beyond every page.
Kali Kupenova
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books. The way he develops the storyline is absolutely amazing. Loved it.

• The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • Assignment Prague
  • The Prussian Captain
  • When We Were Brave
  • The Secret Letter
  • Under Darkening Skies
  • Catriona's War
  • The Point of Light (Historical Fiction #1)
  • The Secret Vow
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • Edelweiss
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • The Victory Garden
Marius Gabriel is an international thriller and mystery writer.

Under the pseudonym Madeleine Ker, he wrote over 30 romance novels in the 1980s.

As Marius Gabriel he has written several mystery best-sellers, some of them historical novels.

He has three grown-up children and currently lives in Cairo and London. He is 59.