Start by marking “The Sender” as Want to Read:
The Sender

The Sender

Can an inspirational card from a secret sender really help change your life? For Abby, Kat, Patti and Tessa, it seems to hold that extraordinary quality. The card instructs each woman to hold it in their possession for six months before sending it on, with an invitation to meet the sender two years from the date of its inception.

From Edinburgh to Glasgow, York to Cambridge
Published June 1st 2015 by New Generation Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sender

Start your review of The Sender
Anne
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The premise of this story is intriguing, and it begins with a Prologue narrated by the anonymous 'sender'. The Sender knows that Abby is facing huge difficulties in her life and wants to let her know that there is love and support for her, but that she herself is strong enough, although at the moment she does not realise it, to overcome anything that life throws at her.

And so, the card is sent, a simple white card with a message on the front: You can overcome anything, and inside Abby is instruc
Linda Hill
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
When the sender realises that Abby is in dire need of support, they send her an anonymous card with a four leaf clover attached and instructions to hold on to the card for six months before sending in it to someone else.

What a lovely concept for a novel. Recipients receive an anonymous card containing a good luck symbol, a four leaf clover, that they retain for six months and then send on so that there is love, hope and support weaving around the world just when those receiving the card need a b
Joanne
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the concept behind this book: a woman is sent an inspirational postcard with instructions to keep it for six months before sending on to another women who will need its encouragement. There are four clover leaves on the card and the instructions tell each woman to take one before sending it on, keep it safe then all meet outside St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh on a certain date, two years after the first person received it. Toni Jenkins, a local author, was kind enough to give me a copy ...more
Katie Wise
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It was so nice to read a book that was about people being selfless and empowering other women who are going through a tough time. It would be nice to have more of this in the world.
Ellen-Arwen Tristram
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
What would you do if you received an anonymous letter asking to meet with someone in two years time? And that this letter could change your life, and the lives of three other women?

Essentially, that's the premise of this book. Abby receives the note from the anonymous 'sender' and uses the emotive generosity to help her through her hard six months. And from there it moves on to three other women 'in need.'

Take 'in need' in very different ways; these women are at different life stages, and their
Rosalind Gibb
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The premise of The Sender is excellent and that idea of small connections or acts of kindness making a difference really resonated with me.
It also meant I wanted to keep reading to find out the identity of the anonymous sender of the card – I was kept guessing right to the end!
I fairly raced through the book, reading it in just a couple of afternoons, but that’s also because it’s a well written and engaging read with some memorable descriptions and strong female characters. There’s a nice balanc
Jane
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really lovely story told be a new author with a great knack for describing the challenges faced by modern women.
The book has a positive message based around the premise of four women supporting one another through difficult times with an anonymous card. Their four journeys are believable and interesting.
Another reviewed mentioned that the sender's identity is kept a secret. well I won't spoil it for you but you do definitely get the answer in the last page!
Shelley Day Sclater
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story with a pronounced message of hope. It's about the world of difference one small gesture can make ... Toni Jenkins is a new writer and a great storyteller and I'm really looking forward to see what she does next. Highly recommended.
Yvonne Anderson
Em
Jul 24, 2017
Hayley
May 16, 2018
I was born in New Zealand in 1970 and moved to the UK in 1995. I have been lucky enough to live in New Zealand, England, Scotland, the United Arab Emirates and Italy.

I write Contemporary Fiction, squeezing this in during my weekends and when taking time off from my real job! I am fascinated by relationships of all kinds – between partners, family members, friends, strangers and colleagues – and t

News & Interviews