Start by marking “The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1)

The Pages of the Mind

(The Uncharted Realms #1)

An Orphan's Throne

Magic has broken free over the Twelve Kingdoms. The population is beset by shapeshifters and portents, landscapes that migrate, uncanny allies who are not quite human…and enemies eager to take advantage of the chaos.

Dafne Mailloux is no adventurer--she's a librarian. But the High Queen trusts Dafne's ability with languages, her way of winnowing the usefu
Published May 31st 2016 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Pages of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pages of the Mind

Mara
Jun 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Douglas Meeks
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well if you have not read the previous 12 Kingdoms books you might want to read them first, it gives a lot more depth to some of the people and stories here.

I loved this book by the ending but the main reason I did not give it 5 Stars was because I felt there were several things that did not sit well with me (most I can't discuss because I try to never do spoilers) but a marriage while being kidnapped did not sit well with me (I only mention this because it is in the synopsis)

First our heroine w
Phoebe Prince
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. I really did. It has a fantastic cover, a great title, and it implied it was going to be about a badass librarian. I was hooked on that concept. Unfortunately, this story didn’t deliver. It’s not really about Dafne, the aforementioned librarian, and if there’d been a focus on her earlier in the book (or if the book had started later when she became more important to the story), I would’ve cared about her more. This story also should’ve been told in third person. It si ...more
Maria Rose
*2017 RITA Award winner in Best Paranormal Romance category! Congrats to Jeffe Kennedy and her editorial team!*

In this richly detailed fantasy world created by Jeffe Kennedy, the Twelve Kingdoms come alive once again.

The Pages of the Mind is a spin off story to the highly successful Twelve Kingdoms three book series and will delight new and established readers alike. It's considered part of the Twelve Kingdoms series (book 4) but also book 1 of The Uncharted Realms, an apt description for the
Beth
Let me start by saying, this is the first book in this series I read and jumping in at book 4, I still loved it and want to go back and read the rest of this series. It was the perfect mix of fantasy, romance and adventure.

Dafne is a librarian and trusted advisor to the High Queen. She is sent on a diplomatic mission with the the Queen’s consort’s brother. For some reason the brother lures Dafne to an island where she is taken captive and tricked into becoming queen to King Nakoa.

She doesn’t spe
Marlene
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

I have, for the most part, adored Jeffe Kennedy’s Twelve Kingdoms series. Ami’s book, The Tears of the Rose, was the lone exception, because Ami spends the first half of the book as a spoiled princess bitch. While she gets much, much better, the first half of the book drags a bit.

As much as I loved the bridge novella featuring librarian Dafne Mailloux, The Crown of the Queen, Dafne’s own story in The Pages of the Mind drove me batty. I loved the beginning,
Mara
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars -- I found this compulsively readable, so although I think there are some significant pacing issues in terms of the plot at the beginning, I was still sucked in. I would definitely like to read more from this author, as I'm always looking for a good fantasy with strong romantic elements
Jackie
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'd read the first book in Kennedy's 12 KINGDOMS series, but hadn't followed up because of the problems I had with it. But since this one just won the RITA for fantasy romance, I thought I should give it a go.

The first fifty pages are a total bore, particularly for someone who hasn't read all of the previous three books; it spends most of its time recounting plot from those books, explaining political alliances and previous battles/wars through conversations with the current book's protagonist a
Marta Cox
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
I seem to be reading more and more fantasy style books recently and yes you've guessed it I've just discovered another author to add to my list. Clearly this is part of a series but I had such fun wrapping my head around what was going on although we didn't meet the hero of the story Nakoa until well past the thirty percent point according to my kindle! That being said it did allow me to come to understand a lot about Dafne.
This is an early review so I can't give much away but Dafne has survive
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This new series spun off of the Twelve Kingdom series, The Uncharted Realms is fabulous. Why did I wait so very long to read this book, I do not know. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. Dafne Mailloux is the librarian who kept quiet and tried not to be slaughtered by her king. Her entire family was wiped out by him so she has good reason for her fear. Now, this meek mouse is the trusted advisor to the High Queen, the cruel king's daughter. At the behest of the High Queen, Dafn ...more
Delitealex
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
4.5

Dafne Mailloux is a librarian and advisor to the High Queen. She is very good with learning languages and research. The High Queen sends Dafne on an important diplomatic mission which will bring her in contact with an unfamiliar culture. Of course things don't turn out the way anyone expected. She ends up being a captive and not knowing who to trust or even what they want from her.

I haven't read any of the previous 12 kingdoms books but didn't feel lost at all. I do want to go back to read ab
Timitra
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series so when I found out there was new a new book coming I was over the moon ecstatic. When I found out that it was Dafne's story I may have happy danced a bit.

The Page of the Mind is a beautifully woven captor/captive tale that I thoroughly enjoyed.

While I did not care for Dafne's match at first I grew to like him and by the end of their journey I truly loved him. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

ARC provided by publisher through Net Galley
Ana
The world was interesting, but not much else.
Bambi Unbridled
Gah! This book! Jeffe Kennedy has truly outdone herself with this story. From the beautiful cover to the very last word, I was captivated by this fantastical tale. I predict it will be one of my favorite books of the year.

For those of you who have not read the Twelve Kingdoms series, The Pages of the Mind is a spinoff which starts the Uncharted Realms series. While it is not absolutely necessary for you to read the Twelve Kingdoms first, it will give you a better understanding of the world and h
Melanie
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2016, fantasy, 4-5-stars
Review originally posted at RabidReads.com.

When I started The Twelve Kingdoms series, I thought it was a trilogy about the three royal sisters. I read all three books and felt that the story arc wrapped up really well. Imagine my surprise when I hear that there is a book four coming out. Not only that, but that it centers around Dafne, the beloved librarian who helped all three of the girls in their stories. She was probably the strongest secondary character in the first three books. Sh
Jen Davis
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure how much this spinoff trilogy to the Twelve Kingdoms would tie into the original books or if I would enjoy them as much without the focus on the original sisters. I’m happy to report that while this book clearly kicks off a new arc, it feels very much like a continuation of the original installments. Not only that, Ursula has an important part to play here. After all, the heroine of this story is Dafne, her closest friend and advisor.

Jeffe Kennedy does a good job making the transit
Blodeuedd Finland
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasyromance
Lucky for Dafne that she is a smart cookie because she sure needs it here, all alone on an island with strange people and a man making bedroom eyes at her.

Dafne is sent an a diplomatic mission to a chain of islands. But all things are not as they seem, and suddenly she is married, or is she? So hard to figure out what people are saying when you do not speak the language. And the people are strange, their king is strange. An Dafne, well I was all go for it woman! She has never loved, this is a gr
DemetraP
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This was recommended to me as having a barbarian king hero. But he does not appear until around 100 pages into this 311 page story (ebook edition) So I was getting very antsy waiting for him to show up.

The first 100 pages is set up and getting to know the characters...I feel it could have been shorter.

When the barbarian king hero finally appears, he immediately is possessive and protective of the heroine. She doesn't know what's going on because they don't speak each other's language.

So there a
Sophie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.75. A fun quick read, the only thing that bothered me was the MC denial of the obvious throughout most of the book. Other than that it was a surprisingly good read.
Kira's NetGalley Book Blog

Why you should read it: Everything you want in a romance, you'll get right here! It's exceptionally written with beautiful character and relationship development, super hot yet tender love scenes, and many laughs too!

“It takes more courage to examine the dark corners of your own soul than it does for a soldier to fight on a battlefield.”

Dafne and Nakoa are two beautiful people in both mind and body. A casualty of war, Dafne becomes a ward of the crown after her family is slaughtered, leavi
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This was the first book I read from this author and it started off really exciting. I really liked Dafne as a character and how she used her extensive knowledge as a weapon. I am always drawn to wallflower/bookish heroines who save the day with brain not brawn. Dafne is a strong heroine but I couldn't connect as much with the hero.

* Mild Spoilers Ahead*

I basicallly devoured the first part of the book and loved when Dafne brought to the mysterious island with its tattooed and fierce leader. It g
Carien
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Am I biased because there's a lake in this book that's named after me?

Maybe a little, but only in so much that I made soft squee sounds when coming across references about that lake and the kingdom that lake is in. (Hey: when someone names a lake after you, you're allowed to squee!)

But even if there wasn't a lake named after yours truly, this is yet another story to fall in love with.

Dafne has been supporting and helping others for a long time. Her own dreams have faded, and she has almost made
Alyn
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book through a GoodReads giveaway.

I feel cheated. This book showed that it's Book #1 of The Uncharted Realms. While it is probably the first book for The Uncharted Realms, it is also part of another series, The Twelve Kingdoms. Do not read this book unless you have read the other three books in The Twelve Kingdoms. I felt overloaded by all these names of people and places in the first quarter of the book. I was expected to know these people and places, the history
Vicki Stiefel
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Fabulous characters that burrowed into my heart. Daphne's always been a fave of mine, and, boy, did she shine here. Her adventures, her romance, her evolution (can't say more, too spoilery) took me to places both exotic and familiar. But at her core, she remained my beloved librarian. Jepp! That crazy, knife-wielding gal is back, as are several other series characters. I zoomed through the novel, but hated finishing the book! A splendid, breath-stealing read.
Yogesh Jain
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book before reading the Mark of Tala series for i didn't like the synopsis of the Book 2 and 3 of that series and i can say that please don't do it.

The book has full spoilers for the old series and brings lot of things back from that series. It can be read as a standalone but you will not have the full depth of the book. There will always be something that is missing.

The author tried keeping us some of the important stuff from the old series so it can be enjoyed as a standalone but
mo
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3 - 3.5
Very promising beginning until Dafne reached the island. Then, the story really slowed down. Too much inner struggling for this reader to not want to skim the sexy times. Jepp, a secondary character, is an atypical heroine whose story (The Edge of the Blade) should be more action-oriented.
Iseethestrals
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, high-fantasy
This wasn't awful, but it felt so heavily dependent on the original series that I just felt lost.

I read a few reviews, since I was on the fence about pushing through, and nothing seemed to win me over enough to keep going.

The writing was fine. I had minimal feelings for all of the characters.
Ashton
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ursula's story is still my favorite but I also enjoyed Dafne's story only because I identify so much with Dafne.
Alicia
I really liked the worldbuilding and the characters. I plan to go back and read the rest of the stories set in this world. I just wish the librarian had a better story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 May 27, 2016 09:36AM

• Amid the Winter Snow
  • Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Empress of Storms (Two Thrones, #1)
  • Protector of the Flight (The Summoning #3)
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • Skies of Gold (The Ether Chronicles, #5)
  • A Queen from the North (Royal Roses #1)
  • Stone Maiden
  • Impossible Things
  • White Star (Epic of Palins, #2)
  • Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
  • Dawn's Promise (Silent Wings, #1)
  • Wonderfully Wicked (The Dreamcaster Series, #1)
  • A Vampire's Soul (Vampire's Promise, #2)
  • Breath of Iron (Clockwork Agents, #3)
  • Unmemorable (Unmemorable, #1)
I also write books under the name Jennifer Paris.

Represented by Sarah Younger at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.

The Uncharted Realms (4 books)
  • The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms #2)
  • The Shift of the Tide (The Uncharted Realms #3)
  • The Arrows of the Heart (The Uncharted Realms #4)