Start by marking “The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
The Death of  Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles #3)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Death of Dulgath

(The Riyria Chronicles #3)

Three times they tried to kill her. Then a professional was hired. So was Riyria.

When the last member of the oldest noble family in Avryn is targeted for assassination, Riyria is hired to foil the plot. Three years have passed since the war-weary mercenary Hadrian and the cynical ex-assassin Royce joined forces to start life as rogues-for-hire. Things have gone well enough
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 432 pages
Published October 15th 2015 by Riyria Enterprises, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Dulgath, please sign up.
Michael You can buy the trade paperback editions from my website now. (Although that won't really help those overseas as the shipping is really expensive).…moreYou can buy the trade paperback editions from my website now. (Although that won't really help those overseas as the shipping is really expensive). I'm not entirely sure when they will be available to the population at large. It really depends on how quickly the hardcovers sell. Once most of those are sold, I'll switch to paperback. If they don't all sell in a reasonable amount of time (9 - 12 months) then they will go for sale then.

EDIT: 5/8/2017 - Just came back to note that the trade paperback has indeed been released.(less)
Michael Yes, that is my intention and we did run one. The Kickstarter was used to raise money for a hardcover release. I also offered some cool perks like…moreYes, that is my intention and we did run one. The Kickstarter was used to raise money for a hardcover release. I also offered some cool perks like t-shirts and coffee mugs. So yeah, Kickstarters are great and this one was a huge success.

UPDATE: 9/18/2015
The Kickstarter ran from June 4 - July 16. It raised more than $90,000 ($73,000 during the Kickstarter and another $17,000 afterward) and became the third most-funded fiction Kickstarter of all time.

UPDATE 7/10/15: The Kickstarter is running now, and will end in 6 days. It's gone amazingly well. Some details:

● Funded it's whole $26,000 in the first 47 hours and 23 minutes
● Currently the 4th highest-funded US fiction based project on Kickstarter of all time
● Currently the 5th highest-funded fiction project in all of Kickstarter
● Has gone through 9 stretch goals
● Currently raised more than $58,000 from 1,370+ backers

A bunch of perks have been added such as:
● Posters
● Graphic novel adaptation of The Jester
● Signed bookmarks
● The making of The Death of Dulgath ebook
● New maps
● Limited and Rare editions

It's been really exciting so far, and it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

UPDATE 5/13/15: Still a bit before the Kickstarter will start, but for those who want to see (and comment) on it here is a link (less)

Start your review of The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles #3)
Michael
Jan 25, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
People who know me, know I don't review my own books - but I do use my "review" to update them on important happenings with them. So here goes.

UPDATE: 03/01/2019> - For the next seven days, I'm discounting by 90% ($0.99 rather than $9.99) as part of the Swords of Spring Sale.

This sale wil include 52 books (because some of them are box sets, and each can be had for less than a single buck! Such a deal!

Here's the list of what's on sale, and as you can see there are a lot of choices. But
Katerina
You can find this review and more on BookNest!

I've been trying for a while to come up with a catchy line to open this review, but then it dawned on me that Michael J. Sullivan does not need a catchy line to draw attention to his work. His marvelous writing skills, his endearing characters and their heart-pounding adventures, my eagerness to keep visiting his fantasy lands and the blissful feeling that I am home whenever I dive into his stories speak volumes, so I can't help but state the
Evgeny
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Somebody kept trying to kill Lady Dulgath. Because she did not seem to care about her own safety the Church of Novron decided to take matters in its hands and hired a good assassins giving them task to figure out the best way to accomplish the goal so the adequate defense measures could be readied. A good assassin? None other than Royce Melborn accompanied by none other than Hadrian Blackwater (no big surprise here). I do not need to explain that their task turned out to be much more than the ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Short and sweet! I'm still loving my boys and will always love my boys. And this was another great quest they were on together. Well, job but still. 😊
Jenna Kathleen
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Once again, I sped through a Riyria book and now I feel like I'm on a reading high. Riyria is such a special series. A lot of fantasy out there these days is really tough and gritty, which I love, but now and then you need a series that makes you feel good. Makes you smile and laugh. Makes you forget about your real life as you escape into another world. It's good, old-fashioned fantasy at its finest; I really cannot recommend this series enough.

The Death of Dulgath is probably my favourite
Jody
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review now up!

The Death of Dulgath was another solid tale in the Riyria Chronicles collection. Although, I wasn't as engulfed by this story as I was the previous two books, and I believe I know why. My familiarity with the stories and side characters in the first two books really added to the "welcome home" feeling I get from MJS's writing. While Royce and Hadrian are, of course, the focal point of these books. I found myself with new characters and a story I wasn't familiar with. Maybe it
Samir
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
''The Crown Tower'' and ''The Rose and the Thorn'' were about Royce and Hadrians origins but this one was different, this one was a full-blown Ryiria adventure. And what an adventure it was!

After working together for almost three years and mostly doing jobs of relieving their targets of their belongings, our heroes are hired to prevent a murder of a mysterious woman.

I really cant say more about the story without spoiling it for you so Ill summarize it; they came, they saw, they kicked ass!

What
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
*All editions on sale on Amazon and the author's site from 16th -19th of April 2016*

Feel good fantasy bliss.

Michael J. Sullivan does it again with one of the best bromances ever put to paper in this excellent entry into the Riyria Chronicles series.

"Please sir, I want some more"

Bonus material for those who scrolled all the way down to here. ;)
You talk all the time, but not when it rainswhy?
Hadrian shrugged. Didnt know it bothered you.
It doesnt. What bothers me is when you blather nonstop.
❄️Nani❄️
Plot wise, I think this might be my least favourite of the Riyria books but my love for Hadrian & Royce knows no bounds. 😍

Theyre as engaging to read about as ever and the dialogues & humour (my favourite parts of both series) are consistently excellent and always well balanced. 👌
Liam Degnan
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW so I thought I had the last bit of this book left to read, but it was just a sample of another book that they stuck in at the end xD.

Probably more like 4.5 stars, but either way, this book is excellent. If you're a fan of Riyria these books will be everything you want them to be and more. I'll hopefully get up a more cohesive review sometime soon =].

*************************************************************
Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Please.... PLEASE have every Riyria book republished with
Kaitlin
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
Being able to return to the world of Hadrian and Royce is the best thing I've decided to contribute to in a while. Yes, I backed this on Kickstarter and I am hopeful that my actual hardback copy will arrive next month, but of course I could not wait that long and thus I had to read it in ebook format (which is fine as I love my Kindle) as soon as it came out! This is the third book in the Riyria Chronicles series (a prequel to the Riyria Revelations series) and it's mostly a standalone story ...more
Kaora
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If anyone had asked Royce Melborn what he hated most at that moment, he wouldve said dogs. Dogs and dwarves topped his list, both equally despised for having so much in commoneach was short, vicious, and inexcusably hairy.

And with that we are launched back into the world of Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn. I was thrilled when I finally got my hands on this book. Riyria books are always a good time, with hilarious dialogue and wonderful characters.

Im not as stupid as you think I am.
You have
Chris
Disclaimer: I was invited to be a part of a Beta read of this novel, and was provided an ebook copy of it with which to read and take part in chapter analysis and surveys.

Once more, I have to say that I really enjoyed an entry in the Riyria series of books by Michael J. Sullivan. These books are always a satisfying read, full of action, intrigue, suspense, and twists and turns.

One thing I enjoy most is reading character development. Regardless to what happens or goes on around them, I like to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/02/03/b...

The boys are back! When I heard Michael J. Sullivan was going to take his next Hadrian and Royce adventure to Kickstarter in the summer of 2015, I happily forked over the cash to support this brilliant project by one of my favorite authors. Ive read and loved every Riyria novel and I couldnt have been more excited about The Death of Dulgath. As part of my backer rewards, I received an early digital copy of the book, but I
Robin (Bridge Four)
Im going to say again just how impressed I am with these Prequels. I usually hate prequels, they dont normally do a lot for the characters or the main body of stories that I really like. But that isnt the case here. Sure it is a prequel but whether you already read the Riyria Chronicles or you just started with these I think nothing is diminished if anything it makes me think that the Riyria Chronicles are even better.

First, I loved this story. It was interesting, full of action and suspense and
Nimrod Daniel
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun adventure with Royce and Hadrian, but the plot was slightly less compelling than The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn.

3.75/5
Mili
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another magical tale! I cant seem to write more than this haha, its just very good. Light read, short story but so much fun when youve read the revelations. Another must read if youre a Sullivan fan :D
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

Royce and Hadrian go on vacation.
A working holiday, imposed by a temporary shortage in funds for the pair of freelance thieves/assassins, taking them away from their usual haunts in and around Medford. The nature of the job is also atypical: instead of stealing a secret diary or a heirloom sword they are hired to prevent a murder. The target is the Lady Dulgath, ruler of the oldest fief in Avrynm somewhere where the map ends. Hadrian and Royce are not exactly supposed to act as bodyguards to the
Scott  Hitchcock
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Another solid tale of Royce and Hadrian. This one was better than book one of Chronicles but not as good as book two for me. I think the difference was I didn't love the side character's stories as much as I did in book two.

There was a lot of foreshadowing towards Age of Myth, like the Rose and Thorn did towards Revelations, and it made me want to do a re-read of that book especially with Age of Swords due out in June. I caught a lot of the meanings and foreshadowing but not everything have
Allison
This is another fun adventure with Royce and Hadrian! I enjoy seeing how their friendship develops over time, especially how Royce comes to trust Hadrian, and how Hadrian learns to be more cautious from Royce. I can't help missing some of the other cast from Riyria Revelations, but we do meet some interesting new characters, the court artist being my favorite here.

This tale also reveals more about elves, something I always wondered about in the original series. I hope we get to learn even more
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great Riyria book. I hope we get another one soon! 4.5 stars.

Audiobook: If you don't know how great this series is in audio, you're missing out. I first discovered it due to a daily deal on Theft of Swords a few years ago, and quickly devoured the rest. Tim Gerard Reynolds is Riyria for me. He does voices for all the characters and really adds to Mr. Sullivan excellent story telling.

It's for that reason that despite dropping a substantial amount of money on the
TS Chan
I have an addiction, and its name is Riyria - or more specifically Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn, one of the best duos I've ever read.

Another prequel done right, The Death of Dulgath gives us LOTS of Hadrian and Royce given the focussed storyline and few POVs - which I really appreciated. I love the banter between these two which was superbly narrated by TGR. After only 3 years working together, their opposite personalities were still relatively untempered by each other, as compared to
MadProfessah
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
4.5 stars.

Rounded up to five stars because of the sheer consistent excellence of the Riyria books. I think the second series (Riyria revelations) is slightly better than the first one (Riyria chronicles) mostly because the Riyria chronicles are not telling one long story.

That being said, the stars of the books are the main characters of Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn. And THE DEATH OF DULGATH provides great insight into Royce and Hadrian. Plus we start to learn more about the Phrey who
Lesa Divine
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it, i-own, 2018
Was just okay to me. 3 stars. I didn't care much for this plot at all. Hadrian one of my favorite characters just in his earlier years was plain stupid at times. I'm starting to notice I enjoy Riyria Revelation more in their later years. Chronicles series I only so far liked part 1 better.
I started hoping for a character to just die already and that's sad lol. Just wasn't into that character and for that character to have his own chapters was causing me to go ugh you again.
Royce and Hadrian
Obaid Haroon
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy oh boy do I love these books.

Hadrian and Royce may be one of the greatest literary partnerships I've read.

This story was wonderfully worth it. It is set at the point where not only can we see these two having an effect on each other but they can see it in themselves as well.

A few nice hints about the future we all know and love are always a nice thing. And a few further details regarding things we didn't know enough to ask about.
Claudia
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, this is the most serious of the lot. Not as funny as the others but lovely nonetheless. Plus, it has a connection with The Legends of the First Empire series, as it was written afterwards. And from I grasped, we might have some other surprises in the ones to follow.

I really wish Hadrian and Royces adventures never end as it is always a pleasure to immerse in this universe.
Marielle
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-own
Loved it, review to follow!
David Zampa
Done! I love it. I love it so much. Im planning to move right along to the next book, since it seems a shame to leave off at 3 out of 4 in a series. These books beg to be binged. And the quotes! The dialog in this story leaves me in a good mood long after I stop reading.

This book is right in line with the previous installments, a perfectly consistent delivery of goodness. The dynamic between Royce and Hadrien continues to delight, the world continues to deepen, the plotting maintains its
Hilary
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The Death of Dulgath is now my favourite book of the The Riyria Chronicles. The previous two books have given us more background on people that are important in The Riyria Revelations, but this book could easily be a standalone.

The plot is fairly usual,involving villains trying to assassinate a noble heiress, but the story certainly has some unusual twists and turns. I don't remember any of the characters in this book, apart from Royce and Hadrian, being mentioned in any of the other books.
DarkChaplain
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, elan
The Death of Dulgath is the ninth Riyria novel I have read to date, and even though this book certainly took things in a different direction from the previous Chronicles entries (which were written as an origin story), it manages to give me the same familiar feelings I have enjoyed throughout the series.

There is real tragedy, but also hope and rainbows, in The Death of Dulgath, and I would not want to miss my trip with Royce and Hadrian.
There is so much to love here, so many little details

• The Methuselah Treatment
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues

The next to last book in the Legends of the First Empire has just been released!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 8 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter keys while playing hide and seek and finding a

The Riyria Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter  (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)
  • Drumindor (The Riyria Chronicles, #5)