Start by marking “The Royal We” as Want to Read:
The Royal We

The Royal We

(Royal We #1)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  38,558 ratings  ·  5,298 reviews
In their first adult novel, authors Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan take on a story of romance and rivalries inspired by today's most talked-about royal couple: Will and Kate.

"If I'm Cinderella today, I dread who they'll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next."

American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy-tales. Her twin sister Lacey was always the romantic"If
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published April 7th 2015 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Royal We, please sign up.
Beth Johnston Westminster Abbey and the Church of England are Anglican (Episcopalian in the US). The old Catholic liturgy was reappropriated via Thomas Cranmer for…moreWestminster Abbey and the Church of England are Anglican (Episcopalian in the US). The old Catholic liturgy was reappropriated via Thomas Cranmer for Henry VIII and the church, especially the old "high church" cathedrals, still follow those old liturgical forms. So the authors did the research, it's accurate, and you should probably do a spot of your own research next time!
(less)

·  38,558 ratings  ·  5,298 reviews

Andrea
This is 100 percent Kate Middleton fan fiction and I have absolutely no problem with that. The authors' blog is great; so is this.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2.5 generous stars

SO . . . THE ROYAL WE started amazingly well. One might even say it was like a modern day fairytale.

Bex Porter, in a bid to discover who she might be away from her stifling twin sister, enters a study exchange from her program at Cornell with Oxford's Penbroke school.

She arrives dirty and probably smelly, dragging her suitcases behind her--in the rain--and is forced to pound on the locked door of her housing accommodations.

No one answers.

She pounds some more. Finally, an English chap aher--in
Emily May
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2016, chick-lit
You know, I pride myself on not being what some would call a "book snob". Sure, I like my classics and literary fiction as much as anyone else, but I also take a great deal of enjoyment from fast-paced, entertaining and light books. Sometimes I just want some YA fantasy or fluffy chick-lit; you know what I'm saying?

So I looked past this book's appearance (as an obvious William & Kate fanfic) to the positive reviews and all the good things this could possibly be - hilarious, silly, enjo
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
4.5 stars.

Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

Real talk: This book is basically thinly disguised Wills and Kate fanfiction - and I AM OKAY WITH THAT.

But seriously, though, The Royal We is written by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, better known as the "Fug Girls" of the celebrity fashion website Go Fug Yourself. If you've read their site at all, you know their penchant for snark, wit and hilarity, and they've infused their book and their protagonist,Lit
Lola
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just really, really can't bring myself to take this book seriously.
Carmen
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Royalty Fans
Recommended to Carmen by: URR
"My soul married yours that first night at Windsor, and while I'll be the king of this country someday, EVERY day I will be your servant."

Did I tell you I've been having dreams about whatever I've been reading? For instance, a few days ago I read Superman/Batman: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Special Edition #1 and then I had these dreams where Batman and Superman... *blush* Um... things happened... Kissing! *blush*

ANYWAY, while reading this book, I

...had dreams about marrying/>...had
Kate
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emily
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit 10/19: GUYS CBS FILMS HAS OPTIONED THE BOOK!!! THR reports that it may star Mae Whitman of Arrested Development, which I'm pretty "meh" about (har de har), but I am willing to move past that because THIS COULD BE A MOVIE!!!!! AHHHH!!!!

THIS BOOK IS GREAT. The premise has been done many times: American girl goes abroad to Oxford, where she meets and falls in love with the heir to the British throne. But this book captures almost eight years of their relationship, and you really g
Caitlin Hannah
Someone's review said that this is Kate Middleton fan fiction, and that is spot on. If you're a royal lover like I am, you will Devour this (heh heh...that's a joke you'll get when you've read the book, PASS THE CRACKER JACK.) Seriously, you'll devour it. I read it in a little over 24 hours.

I am a big fan of the royals (particularly Kate), and I unabashedly watch and read pretty much anything about them that I can get my hands on- cheesy, somber, fact, fiction, probably-fiction, and otherwise.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Guysssssss this was really, REALLY cute. Like, so cute. I'm only docking a star bc it did feel a little longer than it needed to be, but it was still just so great. What a way to start my week!
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Initial Thoughts: This book was epically amazing. I fell in love with this book and the characters instantly. The banter and the writing are both hilarious and heartfelt. The raw emotions and the themes and the setting are equally beguiling. I NEED you to read this book. It will make you (and me) so happy, and it's honestly so addictive. BEST cutesy romance novel I've read in a long time.

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

There are few books that truly have the power
Giselle
If there's anything I'm not interested in, it would be being royal. I believe that a country still being ruled in monarchy is archaic, and this book showed the reasons why. Yes, you have your prince and the love of your life, but you're giving up your entire identity, your nationality just for a title. You don't get to make decisions about anything and everything must be approved to what you wear, to what you eat and to what music you listen to. You might as well be a trained monkey... So sad :( ...more
Stephanie
The Royal We might not be the Prince William/Kate Middleton fan fiction we wanted, but it’s the Prince William/Kate Middleton fan fiction we got. Let’s be honest. William and Kate aren’t the most exciting couple in the world. They’re very attractive, they’re very well-mannered and composed, they’re probably wonderful parents, and while that’s great for real life, it doesn’t make for a juicy novel. This lack of juiciness is especially surprising since this book was written by the bloggers from Go ...more
Vanessa
I love the (British) Royal Family. I've always been quite passionate about it, so you can understand my excitement when I ran into this book, inspired by the relationship between Kate and William (even if, after the recent events, this could also be a Meghan/Harry fit book, being the main character American - but without anything positive that Megan has and is).

Not only I found this novel dull because of the silly writing style (two people were needed to write it??) but in any sense possible. It's
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
First thoughts, written January 2015:

OH. MY. GOSH.

I had high expectations for this book (it just sounded epic), but it surpassed all of them. This is a longgg read, but my attention never waned. In fact, I stayed up past 4 am (!) crying my eyes out over it -- and this is not a usual occurrence. (Reading late, yes. Actually crying over a book? No.)

Much love for Nick/Bex, so can I be one of the first to claim Freddie?? <3

Full review to come, but needless
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not familiar with these two authors or their blog www.gofugyourself.com yet I did check out their blog. It is a good blog. The reason I did is because I was expecting two authors who write this blog and title it the way they did to have more witty charm infused into this book. I started reading it in between television commercials. Which I was hoping that this book would be so funny that I would lose focus on the show I was watching and read just this book. This did not happen. Why you ask? Well despite the ecc ...more
Mellie Antoinette
"To be a king and where a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it, than it is pleasant to them that bear it." HRH Queen Elizabeth I (1601)

Yeah, this book is not that serious! It doesn't aspire to anything higher than a fun, fictionalized ideal of what it must be like to date royalty. Hence, the great quote I couldn't resist!

Story wise, The Royal We is by far the most transparent, cheesy adventure unfolding on the page in the most expected of terms. Even the nam
Aimee
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I rarely read while I'm drafting or editing, but I loved this book too much to put down. It's very much a fictionalized version of the Kate Middleton and Prince William romance (complete with a playboy ginger brother), though the main character, Bex (one of my favorite names!), is American.

The Royal We gives the reader the impression of an insider's perspective on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the royal lifestyle, and I found that just as intriguing as the plot itself - which, w
Margaret H. Willison
I gulped this one down in about a week after it received rapturous reviews all across my Twitter feed. I've been a long-time fan of Heather and Jessica's work on their hilarious website, Go Fug Yourself, so I was certainly EAGER to enjoy this book, but I don't know that I expected to be serenading with with "Just What I Needed" by The Cars at barely four pages in. AND YET.

I, along with a huge number of my smart female friends, have an insatiable appetite for books like this one: Funn
Leslie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
3.5 rounded up to 4

Lets get this out of the way - I am an anglophile. I stayed up all night to watch Princess Di's funeral and got up at 3 a.m. (EDT) to watch Kate & Will's wedding. Thus a book that is a very fictionalized account of Will & Kate's romance seemed like a great idea.

You will definitely recognize the Royals in this fictional story. But where we depart from reality is that instead of a mere commoner our Heir instead falls for an American, Rebecca Porte
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
3.5/5 Stars!

Received this from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway!

Summary:
Bex moves to England to pursue her artist career. This is the first time she's been away from her twin sister Lacey. It's hard but shes found a great group of friends. One of which, is the a Prince of Wales. But can everyone remain friends when royalty is so demanding? What if it leads to more?

Dislikes:
This book was overly wordy at some points. It made it seem like a chore to g
Jaime Arkin
I don’t normally go crazy for the Royal family… in fact I always wonder what the fascination is for people who do. That said, I’ve been on a royal reading kick lately and I’ve had The Royal We on that list for a while. After a few prods from friends on Instagram I thought I better get reading, and once I started, I couldn’t stop.

American Rebecca “Bex” Porter has finally jumped out of the shadow of her twin sister Lacey by heading overseas to pursue her degree at Oxford where she finds herself l
Grace
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going in to this book I had NO idea how much I was going to enjoy it. To start off: if you hate the cliche romance novels, you'll hate this. It's not some classic piece of literature, but it's fun and I am totally okay with reading things purely for enjoyment. This would be THE perfect summer vacation read. It's quick, it's cute, and I loved it. The characters, the plot line, and the novel itself were so good I read this book in about a day! I would highly recommend it!
Madeline
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements
While I definitely wouldn’t say that I’m one of those Americans who is weirdly obsessed with the British royal family, I will admit that my college roommates and I got up at 4am to watch the live broadcast of the William/Kate wedding. I baked scones for the occasion. So actually yeah, I probably AM one of those Americans who’s weirdly obsessed with the British royal family.

That being said, I almost definitely read this book much too late. The Royal We was released in 2015, when everyon
Sophie
This book has been loved by a load of bloggers I follow, and I knew I had to see what all the hype was about. I'm a royalist, through and through, and this book seemed liked the perfect choice for me.

In The Royal We, American Bex goes on a semester abroad to Oxford, and falls in love with the heir to the British throne, Prince Nicholas. As you can imagine, it's not a smooth relationship. The book covers the space of about 5 or so years, and we go through many phases of love: friends yearning fo
Kate ☀️ Olson
Loved, loved LOVED IT.
Sophie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books, reviewed
I love British history, but have no interest in the modern British royal family. So a part of me was very surprised that I decided to pick up what is basically a William and Kate fanfiction (except with Kate being an American!). It was entertaining to read all of the similarities between Bex/Nick and William/Kate, and I was able to pick up on it despite only knowing a little about their relationship.

I was also expecting it to be pretty lighthearted, but was very surprised to see that the book w
Shannon
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
4.5

Five Reasons You Should Read The Royal We

YOU HAVE A SECRET (OR NO-SO SECRET) INTEREST IN THE ROYAL FAMILY

I don’t think anyone has tried to deny that the The Royal We‘s central romance is based on that of Prince William and Kate Middleton, so if you can’t help but listen whenever you hear bits about the couple—or their siblings—this is for you.

YOU CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF GO FUG YOURSELF

Authors Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan are the brains behind G
Janille N G
The Royal We was not at all what I expected…and I think I’m okay with that!

The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan is supposed to be a Kate Middleton fan fiction. I think that description does this novel, which is actually quite well-written and poignant, a great disservice.

To me, if someone says a novel is a form of fan fiction, I’m immediately expecting something cheesy and over the top. No offence to all the great fan fiction out there (believe me, I enjoy reading some/>The
Mary H
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, maybe. Royal We is super fun, but I was annoyed with a few aspects: 1. It really is a W+K fanfic, right down to small unnecessary details like the rakish little brother being a womanizing ginger. 2. Love triangle. I understand the need for a scandal, but the third individual in the triangle made me sad. 3. The time was never clearly defined so even though supposedly eight years had transpired, it didn't feel that way in the narrative. Royal We is very enjoyable, but nothing groundbrea ...more

• Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Only Opal
  • An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin
  • A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood, #1)
  • Poems Bewitched and Haunted
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Kate: The Future Queen
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
  • Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Yuki Chan in Brontë Country
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
  • A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation (Constant Love #1)
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Up Close
Heather Cocks is a die-hard sports fan, a Leo, an ex-reporter, a Notre Dame grad, a dual citizen of the U.S. and U.K., a sandwich enthusiast, and a former producer for America's Next Top Model.

Together, Heather and Jessica Morgan skewer celebrity fashion crimes on their popular blog, Go Fug Yourself, which draws millions of monthly readers and made Entertainment Weekly's Must List. They have

Royal We (2 books)
  • The Heir Affair
“My dad and I once had a fight because I refused to put ketchup on my hot dogs," I said.
"That's possibly the most American sentence I've ever heard.”
31 likes
“A wave of intense happiness washed over me, and I told myself to carry this moment as a talisman of a time in my life when I was both truly content and lucky enough to realize it.” 23 likes