Start by marking “It's All Fun and Games” as Want to Read:
It's All Fun and Games

It's All Fun and Games

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  210 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
When six high school friends spend a weekend Live Action Role Playing they discover that the game world is both real and very, very deadly.

Winner of the Nerdist.com Inkshares Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel contest 2015
Paperback
Published August 2nd 2016 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about It's All Fun and Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's All Fun and Games

Cyndi
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when an innocent weekend of LARPing turns real? That’s what a group of teens face when they meet in the woods. Suddenly they actually become their characters and face a JRR Tolkien world.
This book is exciting and I can’t wait to read the next in the series. 😊
Alexandra
2/4/18 $.99 for Kindle.

* Review copy provided by Netgalley *

From the time I discovered The Chronicles of Narnia as a kid I was drawn to stories about young people transported to a magical place. Whenever I ran across a book with that premise I’d snatch it up and give it a try.

So, of course I had to read “It’s All Fun And Games”.

I’ve never done any live action or table top role playing, although I think it sounds fun and would have if I’d had the opportunity. I’ve done my share of adventure gamin
Amber
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this ARC read for review ebook request from Netgalley, Nerdist publishing, and the author in exchange for an honest review.

TJ invites his friend Allison for a weekend of Live Action role-playing. She accepts and joins his friends Jimmy, Stu, Chuck and her friend Nathan who goes to school with him in their pretend mission set to save the world from an evil wizard and other fantasy creatures. Now with one of their friends murdered and far from home, Allison and friends mu
Dave
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well of course I rated it 5 stars. It's my book! :D
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Allison is your typical every day teenager and one day agrees to accompany her best friend, TJ, to a weekend of LARP. It’s not her normal idea of fun but it’s something to do and THE boy at highschool is going to be there. Upon meeting her fellow questers and learning some rules (don’t hit people in the upstairs or downstairs) and choosing her character class sets out with the rest of her group as a healer looking to just embrace the experience for what it is. However a fatal encounter, the mani ...more
Tracey
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
The dedication of the book gave me hope: "To Lloyd Alexander, whose Chronicles of Prydain taught me that worlds of magic and adventure exist; and to Gary Gygax, who taught me how to play in them." Lloyd Alexander is one of my heroes, and EGG (because his name is actually E. Gary Gygax) was responsible for some fun times when I was a kid. Also, this book "was selected as a winner of the inaugural Nerdist Collection Contest", which should have meant it was chock full of geeky goodness. Don't get ...more
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised!

2.5 stars.

In It’s All Fun and Games, a group of friends head out for a weekend adventure of LARP’ing (Live Action Role Play). Soon after their adventure begins, they are transported to an actual fantasy world where the dangers are real and life is not counted in hit points.

The story takes on a rather typical “kill the evil guy to save the kingdom” story starring ogres, kobolds, goblins, and the like. I felt like this was really fitting for th
Crazy4Books
I got this book from Netgalley for an honest review. After I read the premise I just knew I had to read this book. At first I thought it was about kids getting pulled into some kind of video game and having to fight for their lives but this is even better. I was hooked from the prologue.

The story is about a bunch of people who go to a wild life reserve to role play as their character (archer, thief, healer, berserker, wizard, etc) in a imaginary world where they must battle monsters and find the
Jeffrey
Very good young adult novel involving high school kids on a weekend LARP, who are somehow transported to a magical realm, where they assume the identities of their game counterparts. The best book in this subgenre was Quag Keep by Andre Norton, but this novel has a lot of good points.

The characters do not know they have left the real world behind until they get into a real confrontation where life and death decisions have to be made.

Plenty of action, magic and fighting.

Wilmar Luna
It's All Fun and Games is a book which does not live up to its title. Before I start, this book was the winner of the Nerdist book contest on Inkshares and I could see why it won. The concept is that a group of live action roleplayer's (LARP's) suddenly discover that their imaginary roleplay world has become dangerously real.

Sounds like a great idea doesn’t it? Too bad the book fails to deliver on its promise.

Let's start with our heroes. The characters are a group of friends who get together on
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
Read my Review Here
NetGalley Review
My biggest issue with this book was the fact that all of the characters didn't even react to the fact that they'd just transported into another world- a world with orcs, goblins, and stereotypical villains. A few quick sentences and dialogue mentioned that they were no longer in our world. If you zoned out in that spot, either you'd be completely confused or believe the characters have very active and imaginative imaginations. Since the story was following the
Rick Heinz
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to read an early copy of this book when it was in it's manuscript stages, so I'm able to leave a review a little earlier than most.

It's all fun and games appeals and strikes a visceral gamer fantasy: What happens if you become your characters. If you've ever enjoyed any type of role-playing game, or fantasized even about having the powers and stats of your video game characters, then this book will be perfect for you.

It's easy to read, short, and flows naturally as you fo
Amanda Cook
Carol
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enough book for me. Easy to read, quick to get through and with enough action to keep me interested in the development. There's enough characters to work with, all of which have the potential to grow some more, and there is more story to develop as they work their way to defeat the wizard from the East and also get back home. Considering it was an Inkshares book, and the first one for the author, I think he did a pretty good job at setting the stage for more.
The story is a very simple and s
Mike Siedschlag
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a print copy of It's All Fun And Games by Dave Barrett in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

This book is so much fun! The premise is not new here, a fantasy role play game becomes real. But as someone who played D&D often in the 1980's, I know this particular fantasy has been indulged by many players, me included. The reader does not need to be an experienced gamer to enjoy this story, but it doesn't hurt either.

Although the book does not specify whether it is the beginning of a series,
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Thanks to Netgalley and Nerdist publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

TJ is a rabid fan on LARPing and finally convinces his best friend (and secret crush?) Allison to join him and his friends, Jimmy, Stu, Chuck and their school friend Nathan, for a weekend of live action role playing. This adventure is in Arcanum where a wizard has enlisted the aid of a goblin clan to help him take over the fantasy world. It's all fun and games until they cross over into a real Arcanum with re
Gerard Villegas
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this. I really did. It had everything comic-con genre nerds love. Knights, fantasy, magic, action, and, of course, LARPing. I mean it's a book about live action roleplaying and the characters suddenly being transported to a magical land where the shit suddenly gets real. Sadly, I got halfway through, got bored, and skimmed right on to the end, still not impressed by the story.

photo ddcartoon_zpssayvlop9.jpg

Basically, a group of LARPers (again live action role playing) for those that are unfamiliar wit
Christi
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession: I am not a geek. Well, ok, maybe I am a marginal geek -- I like Star Trek and Dr. Who and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. But when a friend suggested that I read a book about LARP, I asked him what sports team from California he was talking about. I admit this so that you know I went into this book knowing nothing about live action role playing games and figuring that (a) I'd find it boring and (b) I'd probably understand half of the jargon it probably used.

Wrong on both cou
Shali
I picked up this book hoping for a light, easy read, and I got it; along with a fairly amusing story.
Personally, I found It's All Fun and Games to be an entertaining and enjoyable book- a little juvenile, but not bad. While I hesitate to give it 3 stars, I did have fun with it. As it stands, though, it wasn't amazing, and I'm stuck with a rating of 2.5 stars.

Roped into a weekend of LARP, by her friend TJ, Allison goes solely in the hopes of catching the eye of Simon, her secret crush. They team
Claire Luana
This book has a great premise, when some teenage LARPers are magically transported into a real fantasy world, where they take on the traits of their characters and have to battle real monsters to save the day.

The cast was fun, TJ was great at getting his best friend (and no doubt secret crush) Allison introduced to the world of LARPing, and the other characters: Jimmy, Chuck, Stew and Simon, were all varied and interesting. However, the characters didn't seem to really be dealing with the fact
Melanie Thompson
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five teens setting out for a weekend of LARPing fun suddenly find that they aren't role-playing anymore, but rather are living the game for real. They have taken on the traits of their made-up characters and the storyline for the weekend is actually happening. When four of the teens are captured by kobolds, the fifth must rely on his skills as a thief and assassin to free them. And it will take all of them to get away from the giant Kobold Who wants to eat them.
I appreciate the detail to LARPIN
Ariel Bonin
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a fantasy book in a long time, and I have to say that I really enjoyed this one! I knew of LARPing from pop culture, but that was about it. I appreciated the background provided by the author, while not bogging us down with too many details. The writing was simple in that sense--easy to read and flowed nicely.

The whole idea of this book is great! I guess I misunderstood at first, because I wondered how these kids wouldn't get clobbered the moment they switched into the other worl
Nicole Turcios
Aug 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I honestly expected more.

I started reading this book pumped, the beginning caught my interest pretty fast. However, it all went slowly downhill as I approached the end. I got to the 85% mark and I thought "Wait, this is it?" because I was expecting so much more.

I didn't like the characters, except for Chuck. Why? Because they don't have a personality. Because they are too accepting of the whole thing. Because they don't feel real. If I was Allison I would be in denial, I would be mad at TJ for b
Books In Brogan
The concept was interesting but the pacing and plot seemed very forced and the violence is overdone and the emotional ramifications were never explored so you never really connected with any of the characters.   I'm not saying that it was a bad book, I just found it rather boring and without an interesting story.This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Jenn Mcdonald
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone 10 and up.
Who doesn't imagine what it would be like to go on an adventure with your friends to fight evil with your own created persona? Action packed, funny and suspenseful this book will hook lovers of Fablehaven, The Stonekeeper's Curse, and The Hobbit. The story is driven with humor, survival and adventure that readers of all ages can enjoy.
Stephanie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to get into this book. I really enjoyed it. I am hoping for a sequel before too long.

If you're looking for a profound storyline or major character development, this isn't it. But there is decent development, especially with one character, and still a good storyline. This is definitely YA so it reads quickly. Can't wait to see what will happen next.

*I received this book for free from a Goodreads giveaway.*
Zachary Tyler Linville
Barrett crafts a fantasy kingdom full of goblins, kobolds, and wizardry that will pull the reader in just as quickly as it did the main characters.

It is easy to see the time spent developing the kingdom's history, as well as the strength and weaknesses of the beings within. The reader will turn the last page wondering what happens next in these characters' journey, and hoping for their overall success.
Wesley
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun and entertaining read! I loved the idea of the book and couldn't stop reading once I'd begun. For anyone who is a fan of fantasy and role-playing games, I would recommend this book and I am definitely looking forward to the continuation. Thanks to Dave Barrett for an enjoyable evening of reading!
Baker St Shelves
This is a pretty nice book for anyone that loves fantasy, D&D, or LARPing. A small group of fantasy nerds are transported to a medieval world and they have to survive it and find out the mystery. There's plenty of good things in this film; it has plenty of humor and adventure, but I think it gets a little long winded. Especially near the end. Still worth checking out.
Yaritza
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story that brought live action role play to life. The group of teens didn't know that the game that wasn't real would bring them to a world where goblins and creatures roam. Weapons always had safety features but once they enter that fantasy world weapons became what they truly are a deathly weapon. The author did a nice job of making the game come to life to the readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Shadow Garden (Nightfall Gardens, #2)
  • Uriel (Paladin, #2)
  • Welcome to Deadland
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Quanta Reset (The Shadow Ravens, #3)
  • Hunt for the Pyxis (The Galaxy Pirates #1)
  • Spiderlight
  • Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)
  • Untitled (Dark World, #2)
  • Dream Paris
  • The Well of Prayers (The Temple of Doubt, #2)
  • The Fixes
  • Patrick Griffin's Last Breakfast on Earth
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
  • Power Surge (Jake Ross, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Disgrace
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • The Treasure of Maria Mamoun

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage