Start by marking “Daybreak” as Want to Read:
Daybreak

Daybreak

(Girl from the Stars #1)

Liora Day, half-human, half-mess with her and you’ll die Damaclan, had been thrown onto a rough path at a very early age. But when she is broken out of a cage by Devren, the young captain of the SS Kratos, she is shown that perhaps humanity does have a heart. The Kratos is set on a mission to rescue fallen surveyors from the Revolutionaries, and Liora is given the choice t ...more
Published October 17th 2015 by Cheree Alsop

Shelly Singhal
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Heavy on the fiction, light on the fiction

I was struggling with this until I hit the part about welding, a planet being 2 'clicks' away and flames and explosions in a vacuum. There seems to be a basic misunderstanding about how a vacuum works.

Also, the story has a lot of random words without any backstory. It's bizarre. Pass on the next one.
Suzanne McCarthy
Amazing new series in the Sci Fi genre- action, adventure, romance- it has it all. I finished this book in one day. I literally could not put it down. The characters drew me in and the narration was tight and kept me reading. Liora Day is no damsel in distress. She is strong and skilled in fighting, and when ghosts from her past surface, she’s not afraid to face them head-on. The men in this series are created with a level of realism that I found myself wanting to meet them in the streets. I don ...more
Amanda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Fastpaced and fairly entertaining if you ignore the science inconsistencies. Major con though is who is set up as the love interest: (view spoiler) ...more
Linzi
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this it's the first of Cheree Alsop's book that I've come across but it won't be the last.
Intriguing heroine, terrific storyline which concludes satisfactorily in this the first book - but leaves plenty of places to go with the future ones.
It reminded me a little of the Nathan Lowell Ishmael Wong series - perhaps because our heroine's life has been so strange that although she is not that young (around 25 i think) it has coming of age overtones along with the space opera. Fun su
Destiny C.
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway, and I am glad I did. I really liked this book, it had striking characters and a good story. The main character Liora was fierce and had a heartbreaking past, so you really feel for her character. I loved the feel of the crew, and how they were a tight knit family. The story would be dark at times when Liora revisited her memories, and lighthearted when she was with the crew. Her blossoming affection for one of the other characters was odd at times, but love is unpr ...more
Lisa
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She has done it again!!!

I have to say I don't usually jump to read 'space' themed novels but the authors note on this had me reading it straight away. I managed to read this in one afternoon, not putting it down! A fiercely strong heroine with vulnerabilities that you can really relate to, not to mention to male characters that your not quite sure which one to love more!! The story was fast paced and a joy to read, so many ideas for where this story will lead us and I can't wait to find out and
John S Roth
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Story!

I was hooked from just after the first few sentences! Great combination of sci-fi and drama weaved together with wonderful character definition that pulls one I to the story.
Wendy Irving
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Gets better as it goes

I almost gave up on finishing this book for several reasons. First, there is a lack of sci-fi tech. Too many old-school gadgets and ordinary ways of doing things that science has already surpassed are mentioned, which indicates the author is lazy in researching tech developments. Especially in the medical field. Second, there are LOTS of errors (missing commas, misspellings, grammar mistakes, etc.), which tells me there needs to be better editing. Third, the initial charact
Chris
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmm. Feels more like a part 1, not book 1

Good: the action sequences were fantastic and I enjoyed the world. I really love Liora.
And I liked the use of jump points in addition to warp. It made sense given that they're hopping between galaxies not just through one galaxy.

Meh:
* it felt very much like Star Trek from a non-Federation point of view. But maybe that's me.

* I felt a bit misled and disappointed in the love interest. Well, it may not even be a love interest, but it feels like it's suppo
Chrissy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining Enough

This is probably worth 3.5 stars and sometimes I would round it up, but I just didn’t think it was worth that extra star.

The book is an entertaining sci-fi where a half human/half Damaclan woman is imprisoned in a circus by a cruel master. She is helped to escape by a Coalition Lieutenant and instead of her problems being over, they are just beginning.

Though the story was entertaining enough and the initial idea for the character was excellent I felt the world building was lac
Lillian Cummings
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Liora can't believe that she is free but what do the humans want from her? She can't be kept in a cage anymore so she will take her chances with them for now. Tariq hates her on sight as he wants to find the Damaclan that killed his family and she is one of them and he will need to do whatever he can to make sure that she doesn't stick around too long. But they are drawn to each other and even though Tariq says awful things about her she now understands why and she vows to find the monster that ...more
Leslie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A good start.

There are a few grammar and word choices (like desimate) that run through the book and make it a little difficult to read. Terms like "clicks" don't belong in starship distance and navigation. Alsop borrows heavily from popular sci-fi like Star Trek with her use of transporters and warp drives. Her science is a little shoddy. But, if you put all that aside, the characters are dynamic, relatable, charismatic and flawed, there are no clear-cut good or bad guys, the plot takes some pre
Herschel Blackburn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like high tech shoot'em up (cut'em up) space opera, this book is for you. A good plot line that is full of well developed characters. I found this to be a hard book hard to put down. The only negative is that I an not a fan of cliff hanger endings leading to the next book in a series. Almost nothing was resolved in this book and it left me less than completely satisfied. Nonetheless, I highly recommend this book and will probably get around to the next installment when time and other read ...more
Rural Sellers
Sep 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Certainly a "hard" space fiction. Normally something I can appreciate, but this seemed written in the fifties maybe. The aliens seem to be all humans with slightly differing coloring, the technology seems oddly dated. In one battle scene involving multiple ships, a missile arcs in a parabola. In deep space? Right.

I also wasn't prepared for a cliff-hanger ending. Normally not a big deal since, if I like the book, it just means more to come. Yay! But if you're waiting for the end so you can finall
Jdawg
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard hitting space epoch.

Two people who have pasts that could tear them apart, find a way to co-exist. All the while, the entire Universe is hunting them down, and their past nemisis, is actively trying to kill them both.

What a ride. I had to buy all the rest of the books, so I wouldn't miss a beat.

Reading all 5 books at once, is like seeing all the original Star Trek episodes at once.
S.V. Farnsworth
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome! The pacing is quick and the characterization is top notch! I spent the whole day reading it today. My Fitbit tells me I was a total slug because I couldn't put it down. I haven't found a book like this in years and I'm hooked. If you like science fiction, want a clean read, and need a day of pleasure reading, then download this book while it's free! I'm off to buy the next one in this series, it's only $3.99.
Tina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the beginning of what looks to be a promising series. I fell in love with the writing of Ms. Alsop and can't seem to put her books down. She make it feel like you're are there watching the story play out.
This is a SciFi book and kind of unlike her other shifter type books but it is still full of excitement, adventure and a little dab of romance. I HIGHLY recommend!
Karen Lloyd
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down

If you want a fast paced story with great characters then this book is for you. I just couldn't put it down! Liora is a trained killer that is rescued from a circus by a crew member on a coalition star ship. We learn about her & the crew & want them to survive no matter what. Not going to say anymore, read it for yourself it's fantastic
Paul Cobbs
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read!

I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the plot, I enjoyed the concept, I enjoyed the characters, and it made for a very good read. The one thing I would recommend when you’re reading it is to replace the word galaxy with solar system anytime the word galaxy shows up. I think it will make more sense, whether or not that’s what the author was trying to say.
T.
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freebies
I downloaded Daybreak as a free book from Amazon quite awhile ago, but it got lost in my e-library and I forgot about it. Thankfully, I came across it the other day and too a peek inside, and a few hours later, finished the story. I was pulled right in and enjoyed the characters quite a bit. Good blend of personalities.
Susan Carroll
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Space Opera at its finest!

Battles and mayhem across space come along with Liora Day, a human/Damaclan hybrid - the fiercest hand to hand fighters in the Macrocsm. Her rescue by a crew of the Coalition, plunges her in a fight to save the lives of her new crew mates and maybe the structure of the Macrocosm its self.
Debbie Scott
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXCITING NEW SCI-FI

A very fine storyline, with non-stop action and characters that only try to do better. To find out your Clan Leader and father has controlled your life from abuse and imprisonment has got to be devastating even for a DEMACLAN. Thank you for an engaging story, Danny and Debbie Scott.
thomas roberson
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review of : Girl from the Stars book1, Daybreak

Enjoyed the book . Liked the action and characters. My only complaint is the story is too short I feel that when you write a series each book should be complete. Finish one adventure before starting another. It's like writing crime novels you finish one case before starting another.
Anne Fox
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A decent scifi

This is an interesting science fiction featuring a main character with an unusual ability. This is obviously the beginning of this story, with more to come in sequels. I gave it four stars mainly because it seemed a little weak toward the end. But I wouldn't let that keep me from reading the next book in the series.
Lucinda
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'm hooked. I had a hard time putting this book down. Warning - it ends in a cliffhanger. Luckily I have the whole series so I was able to jump right into the next book. The writing is fantastic, the story believable, and the characters are just so fascinating and I just want to know what's next! Keeps me guessing as to what Liora's going to do next.
Janice
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Liora Day is half damaclan/half human who has been held as a prisoner/circus performer. When she manages to escape she gets involved in intergalactic wars and realizes she is a killing machine. Literally she can take out dozens without breaking a sweat.
Brian Doyle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liora Day, a half human and half Damaclan is a kick ass heroine, who is rescued by Devren and assists him, his crew-who are a unlikely mixture in stopping various people from getting their hands on a weapon of mass destruction. An awesome read and highly recommended for those who enjoy Sci-Fi coupled with action and drama.
Scotts Kindle
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story

Well done. I enjoyed this story. I was thrown off by the kids and who was kissed. I don't dislike series i just prefer the type that are stand alone books as opposed to ones that start a plot line in one book but you have to read the next book to get to the answers.
Wade
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girl from the Stars Book 1- Daybreak

This is basically a rip roaring space western. This book keeps you looking for the next episode. It would work well for a movie serial that hollywood used to put out in the middle of the last century.
Brian McGregor
Part Star Trek/Firefly, Wonder Woman/Battle Angel Alita, with Captain Potter and first mate/medical officer Billius Weasly. The characters seemed too familiar. It is hard to suspend disbelief that the main character fits into a crew and is constantly saving everyone else.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Falling (The 1000 Revolution, #0.5)
  • Collision Course (8th Wing #1)
  • Alien Survivor: Stranded on Galatea
  • Broken and Hunted (Echoes of Sol, #2)
  • Cyborgs: More Than Machines: Books 1 -3
  • Taken  (The Vampire's Concubine, #1)
  • Valan's Bondmate (Zarronian Warriors, #1)
  • Devotion (Chosen by the Karal #5)
  • The Seeker
  • Alien Invader's Baby (Given To The Alien, #2)
  • Star Champion (Star, #4)
  • Reset
  • Taken by Terror (Grabbed, #6)
  • Wolfen
  • Crusader (Battle Born, #1)
  • Can't Forget (Solum #2)
  • The Assassin's Salvation (Mandrake Company, #3)
Cheree Alsop is an award-winning, best-selling author and the mother of a beautiful, talented daughter and amazing twin sons who fill every day with joy and laughter. She is married to her best friend, Michael, the light of her life and her soulmate who shares her dreams and inspires her by reading the first drafts of each book. Cheree is a fulltime author and mother, which is much more fun than w ...more

Girl from the Stars (5 books)
  • Daylight
  • Day's End
  • Day's Journey
  • Day's Hunt
“Equality of race, Exploration of the Macrocosm, And advancement of knowledge for the Growth and understanding of mortalkind.” 1 likes