Start by marking “Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)

Steamsworn

(Steamborn #3)

The world dies in war only to be reborn. It is the way of things, and always will be.

Forged in the Deadlands crucible, and armed with the knowledge of their true enemy, Jacob, Alice, and their allies bring the fight back to Ancora. They'll liberate their homeland, or die trying.

The wounds cut deep in their darkest hour, but in the end, vengeance will light their path.
ebook
Published April 5th 2016 by Eric Asher

To ask other readers questions about Steamsworn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steamsworn

Start your review of Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Steamsworn by Eric Asher

Steamborn series book 3. A steampunk young adult fantasy based on the ages of a couple of the main characters. Given the level of deaths, gore and basic overall violence, I wouldnt say its appropriate for young teens.

War rages on in this conclusion. Friendships deepen and fighting continues. Sadly they lose many friends and colleagues in the course of their travels.

An epic adventure. Lots of steam powered travel, gizmos and bugs.
Cori
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
*dramatic groan*

*inhales*

*another dramatic groan*

I can't do steampunk. That has to be it. I WANT to do steampunk, but other than one series, nothing has sucked me in yet. Please give me recommendations if you have them! As the great Steven Crowder would say, change my mind.

I wanted SO badly to like this series a lot. I really, really did. I stuck with all three books. I really, really did. I tried to pay attention. I really, really did.

But...gah! I recognize I am in the extreme minority here.
Kristen
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
My review (of the whole trilogy - spoiler free) is here, on my blog.

Steamsworn, was a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy. My god, this book got me in the feels pretty hard once or twice and I was absolutely not expecting that to happen. Unexpected and legitimately feel-inducing things happen in this one on the regular. This was absolutely my favorite of the series, and I think that listening to the audiobook made this even more immersive for me, because Saskia Maarleveld absolutely nailed this
Jonathan Gardner
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the triology as a whole. Good, not great.
Positives:
Excellent characters that flowed easily together yet weren't carbon-copies of each other. They weren't paragons of virtue, which made them more real yet you couldn't help rooting for the protagonists.
Brilliant relationship building and chemistry among the characters.
The action was well-paced, well placed, and proved proper amounts of suspense. Definitely kept me engaged.
Intriguing concept with the bugs. Creatively and thoroughly done.
RobynRiana
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jacob had no idea how different life would be outside the walls of Ancora until after The Fall. He's since learned of the Steamsworn. The Dead Scourge. The Berserkers.
He's not a kid anymore.
This book is third in the Steamborn Trilogy, and is not at all your typical YA, steampunk sci-fi series!
Jacob and Alice are impressively resourceful and tenacious kids, but they are not alone to fend for themselves, nor are they tagalongs on an adventure with their elders. With them are Samuel, the loyal and
David Wright
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fitting end? To a very good trilogy.

I just knew after my review for book one that this would be so much better than I first indicated!

Continuing on from book 2, this initially slows down a little, as the strategic aspects come into play for the final showdown - and then all hell breaks loose..

The gore and violence factor is into overdrive in this 3rd book, but not for gratification as such, it is well placed and is justified. The relationships between characters really come into play,
Bill Tillman
A really conclusion to a great 3 book series. What finally happens to Jacob and Alice is heart stopping. This is a must read for all steampunk fans.
Zoltán
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok

Finally got to the end of this trilogy, and not in a good way, I'm afraid.

Things just keep going south.

Story: We have a war now. All nations unite against the ultimate evil, and through hardships, relentlessly advance to the unavoidable victory.

Hope you caught the sarcasm there...

The story and the characters became so bland and one-dimensional, that halfway through the book I started to wish I'd just put it down. (Damn my tendency to finish almost all books at all costs.)

It was a repetition of a
Zachary
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the final book in the trilogy, this was a solid conclusion. The pace was pretty driven from front to back, moving along at a nice clip. In my reviews of the first two books I noted that this series, so far was largely appropriate for younger readers. Though that mostly holds true, violence is a little more prevalent throughout this one, and Asher doesn't really draw back from it. Though his descriptions aren't too explicit in the damage caused by the various weapons and creatures throughout, ...more
Harley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Steamborn because I could order the ebook for free on Amazon and because of the fact that it was from the science fiction genre of steampunk. I thought I would read the first book of the three to see if I wanted to read the others. I did not expect to buy the other two, but I did.

The first book hooked me with the main character, a sixteen year old tinker, named Jacob. I was also intrigued by the world where insects were very large creatures who could attack and kill humans. I like the
DJ
Aug 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This review is for the whole series.

3 out of 10 stars.

I really tried to get into this series. I gave it a try, but I ended up not caring about any of the characters or their motivations and gave up reading 3/4 of the way through the 3rd book.

The writing really annoyed me. Every scene there is someone ignorant of their surroundings, and miraculously there is a character there to explain the situation. Cut to the next scene and repeat, and repeat and repeat...

I feel like these books were
Ginelle Blanch
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was, simply, a fantastic series! Imaginative, vivid, and unique. Full of surprises!

The fantastic friendships in these books are what make them so excellent. Characters full of courage, drive, passion, compassion, and the backbone to do what is right, not necessarily easy.

Absolutely engaging and a pleasure to listen to. The words are brought to vivid clarity by this narrator, take an awesome series and make it five times more enjoyable with just one voice!

Emotional and heartwarming,
Tom Loock
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying end to the trilogy - though I really hope and believe there will be sequels. There are enough hints in the final two chapters after all.

This one is all action all the time, inevitable from the plot, but I missed the steampunk elements and descriptions of fantastic places that made the first two books so enjoyable. It is also what sets the series apart from Philip Reeve's outstanding 'Mortal Engines'-quartet (or septet).

Very much recommended - especially if you like a lot of action.
Joe Fruge
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This final book in the trilogy had all of the things that the first two did not. The first two books felt like a good outline but lacked any true weight. I felt like this book finally allowed me to attach to characters and lose myself in this world. I really liked some of the concepts that Asher presented here and I'm glad that some of those were actually fleshed out here. I almost stopped after book one but I will say that I enjoyed the trilogy overall.
Sheila Barbee
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steamsworn

An exciting finale, full I surprises,to The Steamborn Trilogy. An alliance is developed through the friendship of diverse people who release their prejudices of one another to fight for the cause of freedom. Jacob, Alice, Gladys, Samuel, Charles and others come together to prevent a takeover by the Butcher. I am left hoping that there will be future editions follow these characters as they move into the rebuilding phase of the countries suffering loss.
Crystal Pinson
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic third book in the series! I sincerely hope it isnt the last as I have questions and want to know so much. Alice and Jacob are adorable, and I love the subtle way their relationship has built throughout the first two books. I dont want to write spoilers, but I will simply state that there were a few tears in this book. I enjoyed this trilogy immensely and am interested in reading more by this author. ...more
Jonathan Pettit
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great finale to the Steamborn trilogy! Jacob and Alice continue their fight, along with their new allies against the Butcher and his. There's more great action as they fight to save their hometown of Ancora. The series was very entertaining, a fast read, and would be a great family read (I think it's classified as YA). I'll definitely keep Eric R. Asher on my reading lists. Excellent narration for the audible version by Saskia Maaleveld.
Roger
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third read/listen from author Eric Asher. An inventive fantasy novel with a heavy dash of Steampunk. Narrator Saskia Maarles talented narration & intriguing accent adds greatly to the books enjoyment. Id gotten this back in July of 2017 and am just now getting around to reading it, my mistake. Well-written, with well-developed characters. ...more
Jack Webb
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fantastic Trilogy

This turned out to be a surprisingly good trilogy. The right amount of tech, likable, well-defined characters, and plenty of action worked extremely well. An added plus was details of the world these characters were in, with historical details to further round out the story.
Christina King-Talley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Needs a full length movie

By far, one of the best chronicle Ive ever read, and one I would love to see in theatres. It would be easy to adapt, and todays CGI would easily capture Jumpers, Widow Makers, the airships, and the wonder of this amazing world. Thank you for the best binge reading weekend Ive had in eons - and please find a producer and house to take this on.
Allan Ashinoff
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steam punk isn't typically my type of reading. Frankly, it usually isn't done well enough, IMO, where I can suspend reality enough to become immersed in the story. While this series, to me, was geared toward < 17 it was still an enjoyable read, in spite of having to ignore the physics the author chooses to ignore.
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Such a fitting end to the series. It is bittersweet bidding farewell to the characters that I spent the last month with. (I listened to all 3 audiobooks.)

The final installment was an edge of your seat, white knuckle, thrill ride of emotion for me. Eric Asher is a phenomenal writer who spun me into this beautiful tale of family, love, vengeance, and war. The narrator was amazing!
Terrie Binkley
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

I chose this rating because I could not put it down. It is a very detailed series. There were some aspects I did not like. The really descriptive parts about how the biomechanical worked, got rather boring. I would recommend this book to sci-fi readers.
Jeff Brown
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quality Steam

Quality steam, developed characters, fun action. The series is worth the read; be patient with the first book, Steamborn, and go for books 2 and 3, Steamforged and Steamsworn.
Tim Shepard
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ending

A good ending to a good series of books. While I am still left with questions about the world the author has created I feel that many of them are insignificant. I just wish there was a little more to the end of the book. Or even another book in the series.
Jacquelyn
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could not finish. I usually like a fast paced story but this one felt forced and I could no long stand the random bug violence and all the non-plot-essential deaths. The first book was good, the second ok, and now the final one fell flat.
Deborah Ross
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a Sci-Fi reader,but most enjoyable series

Though I am not a big reader of Sci-Fi novels, I read the entire series. Most enjoyable reading and left me wanting another story. Good writer, will look for more by this author. Never be shy about trying a new genre.
Debra R. Shea
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just wow!

A breathtaking ride of a series. I truly did not put it down. The ordinary lives of two young people blown into heroic and deadly terms. Surviving the worst their world has to offer and learning to cope and overcome terrors in imagined. Superb storytelling!
Shannon
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, own
Amazing series! Love all of the characters! I felt like I was in the SkySworn! Fantastic ending! I really hope more comes from the characters and this world. The audio book was wonderful ❤
Theodore
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The exciting conclusion of the trilogy, where victory is seized at the last minute from defeat. This series was very reasonably priced and well worth the money.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Audible Audio Format: Steamsworn 2 10 Jun 22, 2018 11:07AM

• Sovereign
  • Junk
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • Second Hand Curses
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • The Never Hero (Chronicles Of Jonathan Tibbs, #1)
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner)
  • Zero G (The Zero Chronicles #1)
  • First Surrender (The Serafina: Sin City, #1)
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues (Mystic Bayou, #2.5)
  • The Levee (Blackwater, #2)
  • The House (Blackwater, #3)
  • The War (Blackwater, #4)
  • The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)
  • Rain (Blackwater, #6)
  • The Flood (Blackwater, #1)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Steamborn (4 books)
  • Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
  • Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)
  • Steamborn: The Complete Trilogy Box Set (Steamborn Series Box Set Book 1)

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...