Start by marking “Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)

Steamsworn

(Steamborn #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  585 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The world dies in war only to be reborn. It is the way of things, and always will be.

Forged in the Deadlands crucible, and armed with the knowledge of their true enemy, Jacob, Alice, and their allies bring the fight back to Ancora. They'll liberate their homeland, or die trying.

The wounds cut deep in their darkest hour, but in the end, vengeance will light their path.
ebook
Published April 5th 2016 by Eric Asher

To ask other readers questions about Steamsworn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steamsworn

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
Cori
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
*dramatic groan*

*inhales*

*another dramatic groan*

I can't do steampunk. That has to be it. I WANT to do steampunk, but other than one series, nothing has sucked me in yet. Please give me recommendations if you have them! As the great Steven Crowder would say, change my mind.

I wanted SO badly to like this series a lot. I really, really did. I stuck with all three books. I really, really did. I tried to pay attention. I really, really did.

But...gah! I recognize I am in the extreme minority here. A
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Steamsworn by Eric Asher

Steamborn series book 3. A steampunk young adult fantasy based on the ages of a couple of the main characters. Given the level of deaths, gore and basic overall violence, I wouldn’t say it’s appropriate for young teens.

War rages on in this conclusion. Friendships deepen and fighting continues. Sadly they lose many friends and colleagues in the course of their travels.

An epic adventure. Lots of “steam” powered travel, gizmos and bugs.
Jonathan Gardner
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the triology as a whole. Good, not great.
Positives:
Excellent characters that flowed easily together yet weren't carbon-copies of each other. They weren't paragons of virtue, which made them more real yet you couldn't help rooting for the protagonists.
Brilliant relationship building and chemistry among the characters.
The action was well-paced, well placed, and proved proper amounts of suspense. Definitely kept me engaged.
Intriguing concept with the bugs. Creatively and thoroughly done.
Negative
Kristen
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
My review (of the whole trilogy - spoiler free) is here, on my blog.

Steamsworn, was a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy. My god, this book got me in the feels pretty hard once or twice and I was absolutely not expecting that to happen. Unexpected and legitimately feel-inducing things happen in this one on the regular. This was absolutely my favorite of the series, and I think that listening to the audiobook made this even more immersive for me, because Saskia Maarleveld absolutely nailed this
RobynRiana
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jacob had no idea how different life would be outside the walls of Ancora until after The Fall. He's since learned of the Steamsworn. The Dead Scourge. The Berserkers.
He's not a kid anymore.
This book is third in the Steamborn Trilogy, and is not at all your typical YA, steampunk sci-fi series!
Jacob and Alice are impressively resourceful and tenacious kids, but they are not alone to fend for themselves, nor are they tagalongs on an adventure with their elders. With them are Samuel, the loyal and
Christine
May 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is basically my review of the whole trilogy. To that end, I'm glad that I had all three to just bust through as the breaks between books feel vaguely arbitrary. It feels like that whole thing was written and then at about the 1/3 and 2/3 spot Asher hunted for a good break point. It's not really a critique, more a warning, if you like book one, you won't want to wait to acquire the next two.

As for story, I always want to like steam-punk, but so often the stories are that joke "just stick so
David Wright
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fitting end? To a very good trilogy.

I just knew after my review for book one that this would be so much better than I first indicated!

Continuing on from book 2, this initially slows down a little, as the strategic aspects come into play for the final showdown - and then all hell breaks loose..

The gore and violence factor is into overdrive in this 3rd book, but not for gratification as such, it is well placed and is justified. The relationships between characters really come into play, bridgin
Amber Todd
Nov 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's been over a year since I read book two and I'm still surprised with how vividly the world Eric R. Asher built comes right back to me. The world building is vast yet so well done! Steamsworn had even more action then the previous books and the danger felt even more intense, which is saying something. I liked the way the story switched back in forth between what Jacob was doing vs. what Alice was up to. The audiobook is amazing and really brings the story to life. ...more
Jodi
Jul 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There is more action, more creatures in caves, an underground train, destruction and blood. Another action packed story that moves quickly. It switches back and forth with storylines that ultimately came together in the end. There was sadness in this book and some relief as well. I will be listening to book 4 soon!
Bill Tillman
A really conclusion to a great 3 book series. What finally happens to Jacob and Alice is heart stopping. This is a must read for all steampunk fans.
Zoltán
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok

Finally got to the end of this trilogy, and not in a good way, I'm afraid.

Things just keep going south.

Story: We have a war now. All nations unite against the ultimate evil, and through hardships, relentlessly advance to the unavoidable victory.

Hope you caught the sarcasm there...

The story and the characters became so bland and one-dimensional, that halfway through the book I started to wish I'd just put it down. (Damn my tendency to finish almost all books at all costs.)

It was a repetition of a
Zachary
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the final book in the trilogy, this was a solid conclusion. The pace was pretty driven from front to back, moving along at a nice clip. In my reviews of the first two books I noted that this series, so far was largely appropriate for younger readers. Though that mostly holds true, violence is a little more prevalent throughout this one, and Asher doesn't really draw back from it. Though his descriptions aren't too explicit in the damage caused by the various weapons and creatures throughout, ...more
Harley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Steamborn because I could order the ebook for free on Amazon and because of the fact that it was from the science fiction genre of steampunk. I thought I would read the first book of the three to see if I wanted to read the others. I did not expect to buy the other two, but I did.

The first book hooked me with the main character, a sixteen year old tinker, named Jacob. I was also intrigued by the world where insects were very large creatures who could attack and kill humans. I like the bo
DJ
Aug 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This review is for the whole series.

3 out of 10 stars.

I really tried to get into this series. I gave it a try, but I ended up not caring about any of the characters or their motivations and gave up reading 3/4 of the way through the 3rd book.

The writing really annoyed me. Every scene there is someone ignorant of their surroundings, and miraculously there is a character there to explain the situation. Cut to the next scene and repeat, and repeat and repeat...

I feel like these books were origina
Ginelle Blanch
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was, simply, a fantastic series! Imaginative, vivid, and unique. Full of surprises!

The fantastic friendships in these books are what make them so excellent. Characters full of courage, drive, passion, compassion, and the backbone to do what is right, not necessarily easy.

Absolutely engaging and a pleasure to listen to. The words are brought to vivid clarity by this narrator, take an awesome series and make it five times more enjoyable with just one voice!

Emotional and heartwarming, heartbr
Donald Firesmith
Feb 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steam-punk
This book continues the series with the 15-year-old main characters deeply involved in an all out war. There is plenty of gore and killing, so I would think twice before recommending it to the adolescent audience for which book one appeared to be written. Part of me thinks that the book would have made more sense had the main characters been 17 or 18, but in the book's world, it is clear that children needed to grow up early to survive. The amount of death and gore continues to increase. There i ...more
Tom Loock
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying end to the trilogy - though I really hope and believe there will be sequels. There are enough hints in the final two chapters after all.

This one is all action all the time, inevitable from the plot, but I missed the steampunk elements and descriptions of fantastic places that made the first two books so enjoyable. It is also what sets the series apart from Philip Reeve's outstanding 'Mortal Engines'-quartet (or septet).

Very much recommended - especially if you like a lot of action.
Michele
Okay, so it took me to the third book to actually care about the characters, which was the first flaw in this trilogy. Lots of action and adventure happening in this book, but the closer I got to the end, the more I started to think "there's not enough book left for a resolution", and unfortunately, I was right. There were too many threads left hanging at the end of the trilogy to make for a satisfying conclusion. Now that I finally care what happens, I'd, you know, kind of like to KNOW what hap ...more
Lady
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trying To Save The Day

This series must be read in order. The first book is "Steamborn". The second book is "Steamforged". This is the third book. I can't wait to read more!

Jacob is in a race against time to stop the destruction of his world. He is on his way to their sister city of Dauschen to destroy the army of Fel and hopefully prompt a retreat. He doesn't know how to prepare for war but he is doing his best. He misses Alice more than he thought possible. Will they make it in time? Can they r
Jonathan Pettit
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great finale to the Steamborn trilogy! Jacob and Alice continue their fight, along with their new allies against the Butcher and his. There's more great action as they fight to save their hometown of Ancora. The series was very entertaining, a fast read, and would be a great family read (I think it's classified as YA). I'll definitely keep Eric R. Asher on my reading lists. Excellent narration for the audible version by Saskia Maaleveld. ...more
Sheila Barbee
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steamsworn

An exciting finale, full I surprises,to The Steamborn Trilogy. An alliance is developed through the friendship of diverse people who release their prejudices of one another to fight for the cause of freedom. Jacob, Alice, Gladys, Samuel, Charles and others come together to prevent a takeover by the Butcher. I am left hoping that there will be future editions follow these characters as they move into the rebuilding phase of the countries suffering loss.
Crystal P
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic third book in the series! I sincerely hope it isn’t the last as I have questions and want to know so much. Alice and Jacob are adorable, and I love the subtle way their relationship has built throughout the first two books. I don’t want to write spoilers, but I will simply state that there were a few tears in this book. I enjoyed this trilogy immensely and am interested in reading more by this author.
Josiah  Fruge
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This final book in the trilogy had all of the things that the first two did not. The first two books felt like a good outline but lacked any true weight. I felt like this book finally allowed me to attach to characters and lose myself in this world. I really liked some of the concepts that Asher presented here and I'm glad that some of those were actually fleshed out here. I almost stopped after book one but I will say that I enjoyed the trilogy overall. ...more
Elsa
I thoroughly enjoyed this series. If you enjoy "coming of age" books, this is a series for you. It gave me everything I need from a book. A cast of likable people whose action and thought process can make you laugh and worry about them; and an adventure that provide the wide range of emotions that keep you reading the next page. This is the first series I have read by this author....I will definitely read more of his books. ...more
Christina King-Talley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Needs a full length movie

By far, one of the best chronicle I’ve ever read, and one I would love to see in theatres. It would be easy to adapt, and today’s CGI would easily capture Jumpers, Widow Makers, the airships, and the wonder of this amazing world. Thank you for the best binge reading weekend I’ve had in eons - and please find a producer and house to take this on.
Allan Ashinoff
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steam punk isn't typically my type of reading. Frankly, it usually isn't done well enough, IMO, where I can suspend reality enough to become immersed in the story. While this series, to me, was geared toward < 17 it was still an enjoyable read, in spite of having to ignore the physics the author chooses to ignore. ...more
Jack Webb
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fantastic Trilogy

This turned out to be a surprisingly good trilogy. The right amount of tech, likable, well-defined characters, and plenty of action worked extremely well. An added plus was details of the world these characters were in, with historical details to further round out the story.
Roger
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third read/listen from author Eric Asher. An inventive fantasy novel with a heavy dash of Steampunk. Narrator Saskia Maarle’s talented narration & intriguing accent adds greatly to the book’s enjoyment. I’d gotten this back in July of 2017 and am just now getting around to reading it, my mistake. Well-written, with well-developed characters.
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Such a fitting end to the series. It is bittersweet bidding farewell to the characters that I spent the last month with. (I listened to all 3 audiobooks.)

The final installment was an edge of your seat, white knuckle, thrill ride of emotion for me. Eric Asher is a phenomenal writer who spun me into this beautiful tale of family, love, vengeance, and war. The narrator was amazing!
Tim Shepard
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ending

A good ending to a good series of books. While I am still left with questions about the world the author has created I feel that many of them are insignificant. I just wish there was a little more to the end of the book. Or even another book in the series.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Audible Audio Format: Steamsworn 2 11 Jun 22, 2018 11:07AM

• Skysworn: A Steamborn Novel (Steamborn Series Book 6)
  • The Infinity Concerto
  • Dead Acre
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
  • The Power of Multi-Sensory Preaching and Teaching: Increase Attention, Comprehension, and Retention
  • James Moriarty, Consulting Criminal
  • Cajun Ghost Stories
  • The Merciful Angel of Death
  • The Sense of Wonder
  • A Moment of Wrong Thinking
  • Looking for David (A Matthew Scudder Story)
  • Erasure
  • Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices
  • Escape from Virtual Island
  • The Last Black Man
  • Heroic Hearts
  • Man with No Name
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Steamborn (7 books)
  • Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
  • Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)
  • Skyborn (Steamborn #4)
  • Skyforged (Steamborn #5)
  • Skysworn: A Steamborn Novel (Steamborn Series Book 6)
  • Stormborn: A Steamborn Novel (Steamborn Series Book 7)