Start by marking “Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)

Steamforged

(Steamborn #2)

There are old wounds in the forgotten places of the world, and some are soaked in blood.

Jacob and his allies flee into the Deadlands after the fall of Ancora. Charles, the enigmatic smith, hopes to find answers in the desert city of Bollwerk that could prevent a war.

Their enemies are many, and here Jacob will learn the cost of life in the Deadlands.
ebook
Published February 2nd 2016 by Eric Asher

To ask other readers questions about Steamforged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steamforged

Start your review of Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Steamforged by Eric Asher

Steamborn series book 2 of 3.
The threat of war and destruction rages on.
A steampunk dystopian that includes Jacob and Alice in the mid teens, as well as a generation of adults, Samual and Charles, that were around when much of the technology was created.

Starts immediately after the first book in the series. Can be read as a standalone but it’s not the end of the story, so best read as a set. I say that because it’s been more than two years since I read the first book an
Kristen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
My review (of the whole trilogy - spoiler free) is here, on my blog.

Things are definitely starting to come to a head. This volume of the series seemed much more adult than young adult. I really enjoyed it. Jacob, Alice, Charles and Samuel have traveled across the Deadlands to the city of Bollwerk, where some considerable stuff is going down. This volume was more action packed, still full of the giant insects that the first volume introduced, has some interesting sort of espionage into enemy terr
Cori
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The good news is: the status of this series CURRENTLY stands at three stars instead of two (the first one was just so MEH). The bad news is: I'm still waiting to be hooked.

Pros: The action picked up and the stakes feel more important. And let me tell you, if this book cover says cutesy-kid-story, think twice about handing this to your eight year old. The violence reads more like an adult novel. The visual interest of this book improved immensely, and the relationships deepened which made the co
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Steamforged is the second novel in the Steamborn series, a sci-fi world filled with steam, gears, and giant bugs. I personally hate bugs and would probably want to set the entire world on fire if they got any bigger than they are, but I adore this series. The inventiveness of the premise and the excellent characters make for a book that is easy to get lost in. If you have not read the first book then this review may by default have spoilers for it, but so does the summary above…so please be awar ...more
P.M.
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ho-hum! Snooze.
Melissa Hayden
*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

I do enjoy listening to Saskia voice this story. She was the narrator from the first book as well. She does a great job at differentiating the characters by voice. But, again, I felt I had to speed up the audio. At a faster pace, I moved through the book catching all that was happening.

We learn more of the land and see outlying areas. In the first book we primarily were in Ancora and started to hear
David Wright
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a feeling after having a brief taster of the potential for this sequel that this would be different - it sure is!

This picks straight up after the events of book 1 and gets straight into the thick of things. There are no recaps as to what happened previously during the course of this story, so it's probably best to either buy all 3 books in the boxed set, or read them all together.

If book 1 was Alien, this book is Aliens. The difference is almost immediately obvious. The characters come tot
Zoltán
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it

To be honest, this series is more like a single book broken into three (not to frighten young readers maybe? :) )

Consequently, this is just an addition to my previous review on book #1.

Story: Main characters get into the city that was more of a legend them and their view is expanded in many areas. History, technology, culture etc. Political and warmongering plot also widens.

Where to begin...
Maybe energy? :) It's getting even worse. We are way into fantasy by now. Which would not necessarily be
Harley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Steamborn because I could order the ebook for free on Amazon and because of the fact that it was from the science fiction genre of steampunk. I thought I would read the first book of the three to see if I wanted to read the others. I did not expect to buy the other two, but I did.

The first book hooked me with the main character, a sixteen year old tinker, named Jacob. I was also intrigued by the world where insects were very large creatures who could attack and kill humans. I like the bo
Lady
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Into The Deadlands

This series must be read in order. The first book is "Steamborn". This is the second book. I can't wait to read "Steamsworn"!

Fleeing Ancora to keep thier families safe has taken a great tool on everyone. Is everyone really safe because they aren't there? Or is that a pretty lie they tell themselves so they can do what needs doing? Jacob is glad that he at least has Alice, Charles, and Samuel. At least he didn't cause their deaths... So far. Cave is like nothing Jacob could hav
Tom Loock
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sf
The Steamborn-trilogy is a pleasant surprise so far (2 and 1/3 in). Large parts of this 2nd book are delightful - I would love to see pictures of the city of Bollwerk (German for bulwark or bastion), no, I would like to see it in person ...

The characters are still interesting - and the new ones (Mary, Smith, Drakkar) a great addition.

The story is typical for the 'middle'-book connecting the intro with the (presumed) grand finale.

There is room for improvement: The odd leftover sentence from the
Roger
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My secon read/listen from author Eric Asher. An inventive fantasy novel with a heavy dash of Steampunk. Narrator Saskia Maarle’s talented narration & intriguing accent adds greatly to the book’s enjoyment. I was given an Audible copy of this book & am voluntarily reviewing it. I’d gotten this back in July of 2017 and am just now getting around to reading it, my mistake. Well-written, with well-developed characters. I look forward to the third book in this series. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - J ...more
Zachary
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where the first book in the series was a little slow to really get moving (though it never really dragged), this second book was more fast-paced. Even though the main characters are mostly teenagers, the narrative isn't unrealistic in what they can do or their talents/abilities. And the book doesn't shy away from the ugliness of war (definitely an underlying theme in the book). Some of the more violent portions might scare younger children, but for the most part the story is still appropriate fo ...more
Michele
So rather than trudging through the extreme number of books on my Kindle for something to read, I decided to pick this series back up. This second book picked up much faster than the first -- the action starts a few chapters in from the beginning, rather than a few chapters from the end as was the case in the first book. We meet some new characters, see some new places and learn a whole lot more than we did in Book 1. Overall, a better book than the first in the series, but I'm still loathed to ...more
Josh
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book 2 was short, and the plot was kind of meandering. Right when I thought I had the plot figured out, the book ended. so I guess that's the plot for book 3. Regardless, I like this series' use of mechanical stuff as well as the giant killer bugs. This book, book 2, was a lot more graphically violent I feel than book one was. It also got into some of the nitty gritty parts of the story. I really liked that. It seemed more real.
Nicole
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This series isn't bad, but it's too drawn out, too loaded down in mundane details, and too complicated to really follow all the characters & locations, at least in an audiobook. I just lost interest. This could be partially due to the soothing voice of the narrator – she has a lovely voice, but it probably isn't suited to this book. Even at 1.25x it simply couldn't keep my attention. I don't think I'll go on to the third book, even though I have the omnibus version. ...more
Amber Todd
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy that I continued this series because Steamforged has really picked up momentum! Book one was a little slow as it was setting up for what was to come. In book 2, Steamforged, Jacob and Alice's adventure really takes off. It was so fascinating to see what waited for them outside of their home land. I loved how detailed and thought out each new city was. Looking forward to the next book in the series as the plot thickens.
Alex Whisenhunt
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With an ebb and flow similar to that of the story's walkers, Steamforged weaves the story of Jacob and his friends along a path of forgiveness, anger, love, and hate. As things escalate, and the world seems to rest upon the razors edge of war, the only thing that frustrates me about Asher's books is how fast they end and how fast i buy the next story.
Kathryn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in a wonderful series. Asher has created a world I can easily fall into. Charles, Alice, Jacob & Samuel we're forced to leave home and find out the truth of the past and what is really going on in the present. They were joined by Drakkar on an adventure that takes them across a desert to a city they were told were enemies only to find allies in the confusing new politics. ...more
Jonathan Pettit
Very good YA series! Book 2 of the Steamborn trilogy, Steamforged continues the journey of Jacob, Alice, Charles, and friends as they venture to the Deadlands. Characters are further developed from the first book. Good fun read! Saskia Maarleveld does a great job narrating for the audible version.
Monique
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it

Book 2 finished. On to book 3. I read fiction for entertainment. This is a great story for that. If I want realism, I'll read a history book, or biography. The story moved along for me very well. It's unusual for me not to skip redundant details, but I was so involved with the characters and immersed in the world that I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Ginelle Blanch
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Action, adventure, and danger. Pretty somber and dark but, the relationships are just amazing. I loved the last couple chapters the most although, the whole book was great! And, the narrator is just PERFECTION for the series. You forget that it's just one voice doing all the characters.
Christina King-Talley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Continues to Entertain

Book 2 continues the story of Jacob, Alice, Charles and their team as they peel layer after layer off of a diabolical scheme promising death, destruction and conquest. I love the expert & creative crafting of steam mech throughout the story line.
Jack Webb
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even More Impressed

Asher's fine second Steamborn book is an excellent sequel. With many harrowing trials to test the wonderful characters, he has further developed the world they live in, and the history that shaped it.
Roh
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book but ran into too many things in the story that were there for convenience but didn't make sense to me. It put me off the story one too many times an I put the book down and have no intention of picking it up again.
Crystal Pinson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Things picked up in Book 2 of the Steamborn trilogy. I continued to be drawn into the world and the stories of the characters. There is a lot going on and all seems to be building to something big. I look forward to the final book in this trilogy.
Tim Shepard
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good tale

This book continues building the story of the coming war. The character development continues to impress me. Looking forward to the next book.
Joe Jungers
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacob's tale progresses as he learns about hi friends & the world outside of his home town. ...more
Jeff Brown
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quality steam fiction, best for its plot and action. Second book in series, and writing improved in this volume.
Shannon
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, own
Seriously loving this series
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Audible Audio Format: Steamforged 2 11 Jun 22, 2018 11:09AM

• Sovereign
  • Second Hand Curses
  • The Messengers
  • Junk
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • Zero G (The Zero Chronicles #1)
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • A Burning
  • A Woman of the World
  • The Never Hero (Chronicles of Jonathan Tibbs, #1)
  • The Guardian (The Soul Summoner #8)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • Reverse Transmission
  • Alien III
  • Freefall (Mavericks, #2)
  • 無職転生 ~異世界行ったら本気だす~ 3 (Mushoku Tensei, #3)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Steamborn (4 books)
  • Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
  • Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
  • Steamborn: The Complete Trilogy Box Set (Steamborn Series Box Set Book 1)

News & Interviews