Start by marking “The Edge of Nowhere” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Nowhere

The Edge of Nowhere

The year is 1992 and Victoria Hastings Harrison Greene—reviled matriarch of a sprawling family—is dying.

After surviving the Oklahoma Dust Bowl and the Great Depression, Victoria refuses to leave this earth before revealing the secrets she’s carried for decades.

Once the child of a loving family during peaceful times, a shocking death shattered her life. Victoria came face
Published January 19th 2016 by Penner Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Nowhere

Start your review of The Edge of Nowhere
Dannii Elle
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Morals and values came second to not dying.

I have received this book on a read-to-review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, C.H. Armstrong and the publisher, Penner Publishing, for the opportunity.

This novel is formulated into an extended letter written by Victoria Hastings Harrison Greene to her remaining relatives, upon her deathbed. The letter is an account of her life and a description of the hardships she has suffered, that have made her into the sharp and miserable old woman h
Michelle Whitman
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this novel, I had a very tough decision to make. Do I actually write a review or do I just open a thesaurus and copy down every synonym for "stupendous"?
On a serious note, I enjoyed Armstrong's first novel even more than expected. I often read "new" authors and I'm not quite sure if I truly believe this can be her first book. This novel just FLOWS.

Seldom do I find a book in ANY genre that I cannot put down, but I was hooked from the first chapter. The authenticity of landmarks, na
DubaiReader
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, 2017, boom
Get this in audio if you possibly can.
When I requested a free audiobook of The Edge of Nowhere from Boom!, I had no idea that I would be walking round the house with my lap top (having failed to download it onto my Kindle Fire), looking for housework to do, so I could continue to listen.
I was completely gripped by this amazing woman from Oklahoma who had survived the Dust Bowl and The Depression and still managed to raise fourteen children.

I had obviously heard of The Depression that lasted thro
Jen
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Hastings Harrison Greene is dying. Matriarch of a large family, she pens a letter to her family revealing the shocking secrets she’s carried for decades. A story that takes us through her life and through the Oklahoma Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. A story of love, loss, choices, hunger, pain, survival, and beauty. A story that has made her into the woman she is now.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I absolutely loved this book. Rich in history, the setting is vividly portrayed and the dialogue true to the time
TeriLyn
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**The Edge of Nowhere generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

4 "Before I go..." Stars

This book was a tough one and touted as such. The greatness of the story stems from the heroine's strength alone. She's an admirable, inspirational, and hard woman who lived through the most difficult of times and persevered in her own way, blazing her own trail without apology. Her story sets up in a way that she's forthright in leaving explanations, untold confess
Terri
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed and gifted an advanced copy of “The Edge of Nowhere” by CH Armstrong. I should start my review with talking about the book, characters, ease of reading and such but I can’t. I must start out with, read it!!! Buy it, borrow it, or steal it! But READ IT!!! I read all the time and it is on my top 5 list of 2015. Hands down one of the better 1st novels of a new author I’ve read.

Set in Oklahoma during the depression. The trials and survival skills that are forced on Victoria start as a
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
C.H. Armstrong writes very well. She expresses thoughts and feelings in a subtly artistic fashion but keeping the originality of the feeling alive, unlike other authors who bury the genuineness of the thought deep within the metaphor. Her writing flows lucidly through your head while being simple and real and not bogged down by heavy words trying to buy literary credit.

Ms. Armstrong does a great job of maintaining the pacing of the book and the characters are very interesting. The setting of th
Alicia
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow is all I can say! I'm not one to usually finish books for whatever reason, but I devoured this book in 2 days! 'The Edge of Nowhere' is filled with so many twists and turns and at times, such suspense that it made my heart race and my palms clammy. It is definitely in my top 5 favorite books. No joke! I could hear the character's voices in their Okie dialects; and being from Oklahoma, that was pretty awesome to hear! I could see the surroundings as Cathie painted that bleak picture of the Du ...more
Jenna Harte
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have a fairly limited reading interest. If it doesn't have a good HEA ending, I'm hesitant to read. It's the reason I tend to avoid "literature," which often ends badly. So I was a little worried I wouldn't like C.H. Armstrong's The Edge of Nowhere, a historical fiction set during the Depression, smack dab in the middle of dust bowl of Oklahoma.

I won't deny the difficulties the protagonist, Victoria Hastings Harrison Greene are heart- wrenching and extremely difficult to read at times, yet Vi
Chantel Dresser
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel hooked me from the very first page. Besides how well written this story is, also knowing that the characters and settings were based on real people, places and trials in history really made this family come to life. The dialects and character traits are more than believable and I could not help but love them. I wanted to crawl into their world and hug Victoria tight. I highly recommend this book.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Originally published on my book blog, TheBibliophage.com.

Author C.H. Armstrong writes a compelling deep dive into Oklahoma’s Dust Bowl years in the early twentieth century. In The Edge of Nowhere, her main character is Victoria Hastings. And, my goodness, she does not lead an easy life.

The book is a letter from Victoria to her grandchildren. As it begins, she says, “At my core I am a survivor, and for that I have no regrets. I neither need, nor desire, forgiveness; and I sure as hell don’t want
Kelly Cain
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A few weeks ago, it was National Uncles and Aunts Day. The author of this title tweeted out a link to her website article outlining which relatives the various characters in her book were based on. I quickly read through them with a small amount of interest. After finishing this novel last night, although it was extremely late, I immediately went back to that article (after quite a bit of searching) and read with a much greater amount of interest.

The Edge of Nowhere is about a woman who felt her
Lea
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lea by: C.H. Armstrong
I had the pleasure of reading “The Edge of Nowhere” by El Reno native C.H. Armstrong. Victoria and her story drew me in immediately. The author has a way of using words to paint the story. I could easily visualize the events as they were taking place. Victoria is a great main character and will be long remembered. This is a book that is very hard to put down once you start it.
I found myself sharing her hope and her heartbreak. Her laughter and her tears. And especially the love of her children.
Katherine Dell
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advance read copy of the book for a fair and honest review.

I like to write book reviews as soon as I finish reading the book, while it’s all still fresh in my mind. Though it’s been a few days since I’ve finished this one, I’m am not worried about forgetting it’s intricacies. This is one of those books that stays with you for a while. The characters, their trials, the love, the heartache; choices made by fictional characters that by the end of the book are all too real.

The Edge o
Jo Barney
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs,
Recommended to Jo by: CH Armstrong

Jo Barney The Edge of Nowhere by C. H Armstrong

Victoria is a loving, loved girl who grows into a steely woman determined to never give up as life becomes harsh and painful. In the process, she learns to protect herself and her children by abandoning her dreams, her trust in others, and at times her sense of right and wrong It’s the era of the Dustbowl, the Great Depression, and for Victoria, a traumatic time of loss. C.H. Armstrong invokes a feeling of desperation that is difficult to re-
Becky Beavers
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read The Edge of Nowhere in it's very raw state then again in the finished form. I loved the story both times. This is one of those stories that remains in my mind long after I have finished the last page.
When I think about what my own family must have had to deal with during those dust bowl days I just can't imagine how they all survived. I do not believe I would have been strong enough to make the decisions Victoria made to save her children.
I'm so hoping that this a
Susan Peterson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the time she was a young girl, Victoria had to learn how to live with devastation and loss. Victoria had vowed to never love again before Will entered her life, changing all of her ideas about love. But when tragedy strikes yet again, Victoria reverts back to her former, stronger self, knowing that she needs to learn to rely on herself. This story takes place in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl, an excruciatingly difficult time for Victoria and everyone else who lived in that region during tha ...more
Betsy
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book! In the first few pages, you get the impression that Victoria, the main character, didn't have an easy life. But she is a strong person - every time she gets knocked down, she picks herself back up and keeps on going.

Of course I had heard about the Oklahoma Dustbowl, but I never realized just how bad it was until I read this book. I can't imagine living through the difficulties that Victoria did.

Great book - I highly recommend it!
Sheilab860
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging story with well drawn characters. I was invested in Victoria from the first page. Hers was a story of love and loss but mostly determination and the will for her children to survive. I was surprised when the book ended. Literally. It wrapped too quickly for my taste. After suffering with Victoria through her trials, I feel like I earned the right to find out how she lived out her life and if she ever found peace,if not happiness.
Gretchen Stein
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sad book, cannot believe the things this woman continued to endure.

The year is 1992 and Victoria Hastings Harrison Greene is dying.

Anna Taylor
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a contest and I am so glad I did, I enjoyed the story from beginning to end. At this point I would buy anything this author writes, this book have you feel up with so many emotions you don't know which way to turn.
Karren  Sandercock
Thanks to NetGalley, Penner Publishing and C. H. Armstrong for giving me the chance to read The Edge Of Nowhere.
Set in Oklahoma during the great depression, it's a story about Victoria Hastings, a strong woman who has to deal with all that life throws at her from a very young age and her struggles as an adult.
It starts with her childhood, then at 18 she marries a widower called Will, her love for his children,
the children they have together and living on a farm during tough times.
It's a saga abo
Laura.125Pages
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on [www.125pages.com] dustbowl I, like most book bloggers, get a lot of review requests each month. So when an author named C.H. Armstrong sent in a review request, I didn't really think much of it. The Edge of Nowhere seemed interesting so I signed on to read it. Then C.H. and I followed each other on Twitter and we have had some great conversations. So when it finally came time to read her book I was nervous. I liked the author as a person and I hoped I did not hav ...more
Whispering Stories
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review**

Victoria is dying, her family dislike her and feel that she is a hard, callous, old woman. What they don’t understand, is why she is the way she is.

Her dying wish is to make them understand what made her become this bitter old woman. Her dying wish, is to reveal her secrets to her children and grandchildren.

"The Edge of Nowhere" is an emotional book, so be warned about reading it in public, especially the part about ‘Cotton
Amanda Linsmeier
The Edge of Nowhere is like Gone with the Wind meets Little House on the Prairie. Victoria, the main character, is a woman so full of grit, and determination it was interesting to read, although at times I did find her too cold to connect with, which, I suppose, was part of the point. She will do anything to survive, and makes choices I don’t think I could make, while avoiding options I would have found more natural, like asking for help. She goes through trauma after trauma, tragedy after trage ...more
Jamie McLachlan
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
I had a lot of reservations going into this novel. It’s not my typical genre of choice, and I was afraid the plot would fail to keep my interest or the pacing would make for a difficult read. Within the first few chapters, I realized my assumptions had been wrong and I was faced with a new problem: could I continue after reading such a harrowing event so early in the novel?

Yes, I could.

Because Armstrong weaves the story in such a compelling way that you can’t help but become invested in the ma
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"The Edge of Nowhere" is the story of Victoria, a woman who faced a lot of tragedy in her life, which has shaped her horrid personality that we see when we first meet her in this book. This is a look at her life in Oklahoma just before, during, and after the years of the Dust Bowl. This is a time period that I have not visited much in fiction, which initially drew me to reading this book. I was pulled in by the strong story and Victoria is just a fascinating character.

Tragedy and resilience are
Linda Thompson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There were parts of this book where I could almost hear my own mother speaking. She told me of the days the dust blew so much you’d get lost if you were outside, and about wetting sheets and blankets to put over doors and windows. These were the days of true horror, of being absolutely helpless in the face of Mother Nature during what was termed as the Dirty Thirties. My heart broke for Victoria as she wrote the letter telling her story. The opposite of strong is weak, and Victoria would not all ...more
Kaitlin
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-books
This book is historical fiction done right! Catherine took major themes of the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression and allowed her novel to be wrapped around such important events in American History. Catherine has agility to take a story and not allow it to be over shadowed by historical events, but allow them to be an accent of her story. Her book is intoxicating to read and I proceeded to blow through it in 2 days; I was unable to put it down and debated taking it with me to dinner party to fi ...more
Pattie Nauheimer Ekman
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
(A few spoilers...) I have a connection who provided me with an advance reader's copy of this book. I really enjoyed it! A few parts were a bit predictable, but the story was fast-paced and kept me wanting to read more. Victoria's character was well-written and developed naturally through the course of the novel. Also well developed was Imogene. Great evil character. Also evil, Dale. Even though I saw that coming, his transformation was both terrifying and well-explained. A few spots where Victo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Interested in which aspects were inspired by true events? 1 5 Oct 19, 2015 08:57AM

• Dear Edward
  • I'll Be Seeing You
  • The Dying of the Light
  • The Poison Garden
  • Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story
  • The Stationery Shop
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • The Right Side of Wrong
  • Wrong Side of Forty (Marina at Midlife, #1)
  • Unraveled
  • The Tenth Muse
  • The Farm
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • The Sisters of Summit Avenue
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Where the Lost Wander
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • The Boy in the Photo
I am a prolific writer and author of THE EDGE OF NOWHERE, ROAM, and co-author of DÉJÀ YOU (2017).

An Oklahoma-native transplanted in Minnesota these last 27 years, I am a 1992 graduation of the University of Oklahoma and a rabid Oklahoma Sooner Football Fan. On most Saturdays from September through January, you can find me propped in front of the TV watching Sooner Football, or studying my smartph