Start by marking “The Black Orchid (A Lady Jane Mystery Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Orchid (A Lady Jane Mystery Book 2)

The Black Orchid

(A Lady Jane Mystery #2)

A desperate letter from her best friend sends Lady Jane rushing from her cozy Cornwall home to the remote reaches of Northumberland. Alison’s frantic plea for help hints that something sinister is going on in the gloomy halls of Winton Park, so Jane braves the misty moors in the dead of winter to get to her pregnant and bedridden friend.

A menacing sense of doom grips Jane

Published October 25th 2016 by AmazonCrossing

To ask other readers questions about The Black Orchid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Orchid

Start your review of The Black Orchid (A Lady Jane Mystery Book 2)
Celeste
This is the second book in the Lady Jane Mysteries and can be read as a standalone, though there will be spoilers from the first book. There will be no spoilers for either of the books in this review however.
This story was a pleasant surprise, based in the 1800’s Lady Jane is called to lonely Winton Manor by her best friend who while convalescing there due to a difficult pregnancy fears something bad is afoot. Jane being nosy, intelligent and stubborn decides to answer Lady Allisons summons to t
OjoAusana
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Pretty interesting read even if this book terrified me just a bit more of pregnancy lmao, and maybe i was just distracted but i didn't see the end coming lol, wish i would have read it closer to when i read the first one tho :/
Ann
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prime-koll, 2016
This is the second in the series . . . I'm enjoying it. The main female character is a smart and determined woman during a time when women were supposed to be meek and subservient. Of course, her husband, while being totally exasperated with her a lot of the time, kind of gets it, so they are a good match -- even if, originally, the marriage was purely a legal contract. Reminds me a lot of the Lady Julie Grey series by Deanna Raybourn which I also enjoy.

Sometimes these sorts of books try too har
Cherry London
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
After believing that she made a very convenient marriage with Captain David Westcot, Jane was astonished, to say the least, when she realized that she got more than she anticipated. Being a very adventurous woman and one who like doing her own thing lead to a lot of falling out with the captain but love conquers all.

This book is not just about Jane’s and David growing attraction for each other, there is a murder mystery to solve. and guess what. there are more and more dead bodies appearing ou
Elaine
I won a free Kindle copy of The Black Orchid (A Lady Jane Mystery Book 2) from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I didn't read the first book in the series but this sequel works well as a standalone. This is also the first book I have ever read by Ms. Bell.

Lady Jane is a 1900 century Nancy Drew, married to an engaging man, Captain David Wescott, with whom she shares a passionate and equal marriage with. She is drawn into a strange mystery at the behest of a dear friend, Lady Alison, and is pulled into a diab
Eileen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Depressing and sometimes gruesome. NOT a cozy mystery.

This could be a really good story and series BUT it is filled with lurid descriptions of the era. I fully understand how hard the times were but the author harps on the gruesome details.

I hate cliffhangers or stories that rely on others in a series.

SPOILER alert..... a murderer from this book first appeared in the first book and was not apprehended in this one.

I found this book less sad than the first book where the author wrote on and on a
Deborah Gebhardt
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Deborah
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Excellent historical mystery.

A new historical mystery series to enjoy, should appeal to readers of Anne Perry and Victoria Thompson. The society of England in the 1860's with its obsession about discovering new species of flowers, and class distinctions, along with the role of women in society. Lady Jane is not the typical wife of the time, but very independent to her husband's dismay.
Judith Favia
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Skimmed It

Between the long useless letters from the orchid hunter and the inconsistent behavior of most of the characters, this was a confusing and disappointing book. The plot meandered and more and more sub plots were introduced until I simply quit caring. Two stars because I like Lady Jane, so I hope that later novels about her are better. Skip this one.
Jo
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deathly beauty

An aristocratic orchid enthusiast, his mad wife, her pregnant cousin, and Lady Jane. From India to South America, Northumberland, London and Cornwall, this story is well told and engrossing. Dark deeds solved by a genteel but determined lady.
Patricia Miller
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful

Another drawing suspense that held your attention. I was so anxious to continue finding out what was happening I continue'd reading till eyes were tired and blurry. I enjoyed reading about each house also.
Pamela Holt
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good

Easy read interesting story Jane is a great character hope
This series will be continued love historical thrillers one on
JEANNINE HONZA
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

This novel is very well written and the characters are fascinating. I had a hard time putting it down .
Gary David Reed
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good reading

The story was quite different. I had never heard of the obsession with orchids. Interestingly enough found in places like Burma.
Marsha
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good series. I'm sorry the translation doesn't seem to be available for the third installment.
Rock Chick
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The Black Orchid (A Lady Jane Mystery Book 2) is a cozy mystery with an historical setting.

I enjoyed the relationship between Jane and David, they had their differences but knew how to combine the love they had for each other, David's protectiveness and Jane's independence.
Linda Baker
It is 1860 London and the newly married Lady Jane has just received a letter from her best friend, Alison. Alison is visiting her cousin Charlotte at her home in northern England. Alison is stranded because of her own advancing pregnancy, but she is very worried about her cousin. Charlotte seems to be suffering from some sort of wasting illness and her husband, Lord Frederick, is not only unconcerned but unsympathetic. Lord Frederick seems to be caught in his own obsession, the growing and impor ...more
E
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Black Orchid is an excellent example of a good mystery; intriguing characters, the richness of the English country scenery, the best and worst of human nature and of course a who done it – what more do you want. This is the second book of the Lady Jane Mysteries. One can only hope there are many more to come. There are actually two stories being told, one involving a murder at the prestigious manor of Sir Fredrick Halston and the other about the almost impossible quest to find a rare black o ...more
Jeanne
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-won
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It is the 2nd in the Lady Jane Historical Mysteries Series.
The time is 1860. Lady Jane is a very independent, intelligent woman who not only fights the constraints on women in her time but fights crime as well. Her friend Aly is confined to bed in a cousins house due to unexpected complications of her pregnancy. While there, a house maid goes missing and Aly senses her cousin and the family are in grave danger. She request that Jane come to check things o
Donna Bresnak
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free for a review.

I enjoyed this book very much. it is the second book in a series, so the characters had already been established in the first book. However the author fills one in just fine and it seems not to matter that they have that history. the mystery is engaging and kept me reading til the end. very satisfying read. I would recommend it to historical mystery fans.
Carol
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received as a GoodReads Kindle giveaway. A well-written historical mystery. The characters, settings and plot all worked well together, and I learned a bit about orchid hunting and collecting in mid-1800s England. I haven't read the first in the series, however, and was confused by some mentions that were probably described in that book.
Sarah S. Smee
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. The plot was engaging enough, and I appreciated the far-flung locales and high adventure. However, many small details drew me out of the story, from the 1860s characters using modern words to the talk of gurgling moors (I think the author was trying to describe a marsh or fen).
mickey ferris
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review

Full of action and mystery this story kept you on the edge of your chair. Orchids and poisons abound in this fast moving tale.
Lisa Workman
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this in a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this historical mystery that reminded me of some of the old Gothics I loved to read as a teen. The descriptions were well done and captured the feel of the time period quite nicely.
Mary  Allen
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this as a Goodreads kindle giveaway and thank you. I enjoyed this book very much . Reading stories of the 1800's British is usually very good . I can take my time and absorb the story slowly. I would definitely recommend this book.
Gloria Brooks
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book

A good book,It has enough romance,murder,plotting to make it enjoyable.I love the time period..and a strong woman character that knows what she wants.
Mary Munroe
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lady Jane is Amazing

I really enjoy this series. Enough romance for those who love a good love story, enough adventure for the adventurous, and enough mystery for me.
Portia
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting mystery

The story involves Jane and an obsessive orchid collector, murder and evil in a dismal country house. It was a good read.
K
Nov 08, 2016 marked it as to-read
High ratings but could not get into...saving for later.

PS. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
James Fearn
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first novel from Annis Bell that I have read. What I really enjoyed about the book was the historical setting and the wonderful writing. I was able to follow the book although this is the second one in the series. The plot was good.

• Dear Laura (Inspector Lintott Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Murder of Patience Brooke (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Sam Jones #1)
  • The Richmond Thief (Lady Althea Mystery, 1)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
  • Queen Witch (Bless Your Witch, #3)
  • Kiss My Witch (Bless Your Witch, #2)
  • Scared Witchless (Bless Your Witch, #1)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (Ginger Gold Mysteries #9)
  • Revenge of the Barbary Ghost (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #2)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • Mag and Margaret
  • Murder on Fleet Street (Ginger Gold Mysteries #10)
  • The Fateful Marriage (Lady Fan Mystery Book 6)
  • Murder at the Boat Club (Ginger Gold Mysteries #8)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • A Murderous Affair (Lady Katherine Regency Mysteries Book 4)

A Lady Jane Mystery (3 books)
  • The Girl at Rosewood Hall
  • Die Orlow-Diamanten (Lady Jane 3)