Start by marking “Girlhood” as Want to Read:
Girlhood

Girlhood

A Zoella Book Club 2017 novel

Real, compulsive and intense: Cat Clarke is the queen of emotional suspense. For fans of Jandy Nelson, Paula Hawkins, and Megan Abbott.

'Emotive, creepy AND funny. A quality page-turner' Sarah Crossan

'A new Cat Clarke novel is always something to celebrate and Girlhood could be her best yet' Juno Dawson

Harper has tried to forget the past and fit in at expensive boarding s/>'A/>'Emotive,
Published May 4th 2017 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Girlhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girlhood

Start your review of Girlhood
(I received a digital copy of this book for free. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley.)

“I guess that means we’re the founding members of the Dead Sisters Club.”

This was a YA contemporary story set at a boarding school.

I liked the characters in this, and I felt sorry for Harper having lost her sister to anorexia, but she also annoyed me at times. When her best friends told her not to tell a certain person something, and she did so anyway was irritating, and I didn’t quite understand how she could be soNetGalley.)
Dannii Elle
Harper has worked hard to remove herself from the past that haunts her, installing herself in remote Duncraggen boarding school. Here, life is less hockey sticks and ginger beer, and more midnight sneak-outs and, well, regular beer. She becomes an integral part of a small friendship group and her past remains firmly tucked away in the most shadowed corners of her mind. That is, until new girl Kirsty arrives.

Something about the new arrival shakes Harper and reminds her of what she has
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoughts on the First Chapter

Oh man. Boarding School Books. They're like catnip to me, I love to bask in them. This one is off to a cracking start. I love the camaraderie between the girls, how there are slight tensions already starting to surface, and how there's a thread of mystery. And I *need* to know Jenna's story.

5 Words: Friendship, secrets, lies, boarding-school, privilege.

From the very first chapter I was hooked, desperate for more. Boarding School books are like catnip for me/>5
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

I flat-out loved this book!  I savour book about friendship, and I adored how this book focused on the sisterhood theme, with no major romances thrown into steal the limelight.  Friendship deserves the spotlight and I’m so glad that it was centre stage in Girlhood by Cat Clarke.

First Line of Girlhood by Cat Clarke

“We always have a midnight feast on the first night back.”

5 things I Loved about Girlhood by Cat Clarke

Boarding School
Liz Barnsley
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now it has to be said I’m a bit of a sucker for school/college/university type stories, that dig deep into friendship dynamics, Cat Clarke has written a page turner here that also happens to have a dark heart and a strong emotive tone. Looking not only at themes of grief, female friendship and sexuality, it also has a realistic edge to it that is highly compelling.

I’m not sure I’d call it a thriller – the relationships between the girls who have been a tight knit group for a long tim
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I was really looking forward to reading this book, so I got stuck into it shortly after receiving a copy from Hachette Australia.

Harper attends an expensive boarding school in Scotland and is part of a tight group. Rowan, Lily and Ama are her best friends, so she can't wait to make long-lasting memories with them during their last year of school.

All that changes when a new girl arrives.

Kirsty is nice but doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the group. Yet
Clara
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

Review to come!
Kirsty Hanson
When reading the blurb of this book, it reminded me of the 2008 film Wild Child, starring Emma Roberts. It was set in a boarding school and there were catty friendships and backstabbing. It all sounded a bit cliché, to be honest. Boarding schools have this tendency to be portrayed in a very bitchy way... But I decided to give the book a shot anyway because I enjoyed reading Cat Clarke's The Lost and the Found.

Harper has tried to forget the past and fit in at expensive boarding school Duncraggan Academy. He
Lauren James
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, ukya
[Gifted]

This was the first Cat Clarke I read, which is shocking as she's a mainstay of UKYA. I absolutely loved it. It's described as a queer boarding school book, which is the perfect description. It's about toxic friendships in a very enclosed, inter-dependant environment, where your peer relationships are quite literally a matter of life or death.

The characters are grieving in different ways, and that emotion muddies the water with every interaction. I particularly loved the frie
Nina
I like Cat Clarke because she broaches subjects in her novels that often go untouched (and can a get a hell yeah for a bisexual main character?! With the actual word "bisexual" being used!) A relatively quick read about some heavy topics.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Honestly, I feel like I was constantly waiting for something more exciting to happen. I'm always a little touchy when a dead twin is used as the plot hook because I don't find it gimmicky at all. Twin books already have been 10x more emotional, but dead twin books and I'm a puddle on the floor even before I've started reading just at the idea of not having my sister. I just wished there had been a few more emotional flashbacks to when Jenna was alive - something to make me feel more connected to ...more
Jessica☆
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
"I lost myself when my sister died, and these girls rebuilt me, piece by piece, I thought nothing could ever come between us. I thought I knew who I was... Untill the new girl showed up."

I have mixed feelings about Girlhood at first I liked where it was going, but then once it got past the half way point, it just flatlined. I was expecting more as I kept reading but I just never got what I was hoping for, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, I read the book quite quickly as the writing was
Kayla
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own
So the cover is gorgeous, I love the neon pick and the matches. The book however was just not for me. I didn't like the characters or the story. It just wasn't a book that good.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Friendship and boarding schools!

Cat Clarke is definitely one of my favourite authors. I love her characters and relationships and I'll always be excited to read more of her stories. Just as I was excited to read Girlhood especially with the boarding school element to it.

While Girlhood didn't quite reach the emotional impact as some of the author's previous stories there is still so much emotion in this book and a lot to love about it.

My top five reasons to love this stor
Kirsty
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book for several reasons.

Firstly I love love love boarding school books. It's something I loved reading about in books as a child and it is still something I adore. I like how it changes relationships and situations often making them more intense because of the close quarters the characters are living in and this book was no exception seeing how the characters interacted and how things played out.

I like that this book doesn't hold back and tackles some real i
Nav 💁🏾
Girlhood follows the life of a young girl at a boarding school called Harper. Harper decides to go to boarding school after her twin sister dies. She slowly starts to rebuild her life with the help of her three best friends at school. But when a new girl called Kirsty joins the school in Harper's final year, suddenly everything changes and Harper ends up on a dark path.

I really enjoyed reading this book and could not put it down! I quickly realised that there was more to Kirsty than
susie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really like this book, but my favourite part of it is that the fact it centers on friendship. not romance but friendship, and that just made Girlhood a unique read.
first off, whoever designs cat clarke's book covers, is a genius. all of her books have simplistic covers and i just love it.
also this book included lgbtq+ representation! our main character, harper was bi and her best friend rowan was a lesbian. it also included mental health, which i think is very important.
i would say that
Amelia
3.5 Stars

It was a real pleasure to read about these distinctly modern young women, their attitudes, choices and their close knit friendship group. (view spoiler) ...more
Zuzana
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could recommend one book for every teen girl to own or have as the part of her book selection, it would be this one. Ms Clarke managed to capture the struggle with copying the loss of someone close to you. The heart-break. The guilt which most of us carry. And she put this story in the middle of boarding school for girls where already friendship are either too fragile or quite strong. Emotions are on high. But I loved this story. It was mesmerising and absolutely heart-shatterring. I cannot ...more
Trish Hills
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always with a Cat Clarke novel, Girlhood is full of angst and tension, friendship and family. Harper and her friends have a lot to deal with and they all have their struggles. But as a group, it should be easier. But we all know what groups of girls can be like. When Kirsty comes onto the scene, things change. But is it for the better or is she hiding something. A gripping story that I raced through in one sitting.
Claire Weller
Who would have thought that I would finish a book after half a year. I only read one in 2017 but this book has reignited my love for reading again so fingers crossed :)
mathilde maire
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5

loved it but the morbid trash goblin that i am was hoping for a more twisted ending
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
Harper Kent is guilty of her sister's death and as such has shipped herself off to boarding school as penance. When she meets Kirsty Connor, another equally guilty sister, she finally feels understood. But there is more to Kirsty than meets the eye and Harper will have to be careful of how close she gets to this new friend if she wants to keep her old ones too.

This book is quite hard to talk about without spoiling anything so I'll be brief. I absolutely loved the thriller/mystery dynamic of thi
Natalie Kate
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was a fun and at points very eerie read that I found difficult to put down. I got frustrated at the characters - some more than others purely because they couldn't see everything that was happening - and loved them all the same. I will say that I expected a mystery filled with twists and turns and heartbreaking endings, and there are elements of that in this, but above all it is a story about unwavering friendships and how far someone will go to feel like they belo ...more
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

Harper can't escape the guilt she carries over her twin sister's Jenna death. She has even tried to run away to and expensive boarding school, Duncraggan Academy, to try and forget her past. She hasn't yet met anyone who understands what she's going through. That is, until Kirsty arrives. Kirsty understands exactly what she's going through because she lost a sister too. The two become close, but Kirsty erratic and manipulative behavio/>4.5
Chelsea
As part of my 2018 Book Resolutions, I want to at least attempt a review for every book I read this year even if it is just five lines of me screaming about how much I love it. So we'll see how this goes but here it is, my first review of 2018 for my first read of 2018!

I had no idea what I wanted to read so I just randomly picked a title off my shelf that I will admit probably was because it's bright pink and I noticed it before my usual collection of black and blue and red covers. B
Lucie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
cw// eating disorder, mentions of suicidal thoughts and a scene that might trigger claustrophobic people

For some reason, I had never read anything by Cat Clarke before, but when I heard about this one, with its very pink but beautiful cover, it picked my interest. The fact that it had a 'buy one, get the second half price' sticker at Waterstones also really helped this case, I didn't need any more reason to pick it up.

I loved that this book focused so much on friendships, both the good
Holly Sparks
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Girlhood is such a unique and wonderful story about the friendship of five girls and the amazing connections you make with the closest ones to you.

Harper’s story made me cry, made me laugh and also had me so entranced that I just couldn’t stop reading until my eyes just stopped working and I deadpanned on my bed.

Harper, Lily, Ama and Rowan are definitely four girls that I seriously NEED in my life! They are so freaking hilarious and funny. I adored how much Lily made me chuckle with
gem
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I love any books set in boarding schools, whether it be Mallory Towers or Harry Potter. This book is a contemporary Wild Child-esque type book, but contains a lot more of a toxic friendship than outright bitchiness. (Actually, I just watched a six part show on Iplayer called the Clique which was kind of a University version of this twisted friendship. Check it out if you haven't seen it, it's great!).

The story engaged me from the outset and Rowan became my favourite straight away. Sh
Bec (Two Book Thieves)
Rating this a 2.5-3 for now. I enjoyed Girlhood (I wouldn’t have finished it in a day otherwise) but it just felt a bit anticlimactic to me. I felt like I was constantly waiting for something to happen, which is why I kept reading, but then when it finally did it was just what I’d anticipated happening for most of the book. I just thought it had the potential to be a lot creepier and darker.

I got that one of the big themes was obsession but Kirsty irritated me throughout the entire b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Girlhood by Cat Clarke - Starting April 12th 2017 24 13 Apr 15, 2017 09:17AM

• My Box-Shaped Heart
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Indigo Donut
  • Countless
  • Me and Mr J
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • Othergirl
  • Remix
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Cuckoo
  • Counting Stars
  • Cruel Summer
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Nightwanderers
  • All of the Above
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • The Fallen Children
Cat was born in Zambia and brought up in Edinburgh and Yorkshire, which has given her an accent that tends to confuse people.

Cat has written non-fiction books about exciting things like cowboys, sharks and pirates, and now writes YA novels. She lives in Edinburgh with a couple of cats, Jem and Scout, who spend their days plotting to spit up furballs at the most inconvenient times. She likes chees
“I should have known that the cruelty of girls is intensified here, living together 24/7, hundreds of miles away from home.” 1 likes
“They must hear the ghost of her whenever I speak.” 0 likes