Start by marking “Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses” as Want to Read:

Survive and thrive in the marketplace without pitching your product. Learn how to build an online content platform that attracts new customers!

Every start-up and entrepreneur struggles to reach and attract customers. Content Inc. introduces a new business model that uncovers how entrepreneurs with limited resources can build a massive online audience as the engine tha

Published September 4th 2015 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Content Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Inc.

Start your review of Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses
May Ling
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to May by: Katya Seberson
Shelves: marketing
I really liked the book, but in all fairness, I am a novice at this.

This book was recommended by a friend who wants me to stop being such a procrastinator as relates to improving my skills in this area. In this regard, Pulizzi is easy to follow and has some very straight forward take aways. I must admit, though. At the end, I felt anxious with the sheer raw number of suggestions that are possible. I think the challenge in implementing this book is to pick a specific set of things you think you
Yodamom
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
4.4
Very thorough look at how to develop your product, service or information. The information was well planned and even had methods to keep on track and focused. I loved that I tend to get side tracked and loose focus on where I am going. Easy to follow steps and advice. Fast and furious, get on board and soak up the knowledge.
Penny Sansevieri
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book, very solid content and well presented --- the only reason I didn't give it a 5 star was because I was fortunate to have experienced one of Joe's speaking gigs and his energy is off the charts, this book wasn't that. It was more subdued which was a tad disappointing. Many times you can really feel the author's energy jump off the pages. The information was great though, I highly recommend it and if you get a chance to see Joe speak, run don't walk. Fab presenter!
Bianca Smith
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Content Inc by Joe Pulizzi is like the latest James Bond movie. I’ve finished it, but I’m not sure if I like it.

Joe Pulizzi is the founder of the Content Marketing Institute thus the source of many of my Tweets, so I eagerly pounced on a review copy of his latest book. Unfortunately, grad school pounced on me, so apologies for this late review.

To understand why I’m unsure on Content Inc, I went back to its promise:

In CONTENT, INC., content marketing expert Joe Pulizzi shows you how to position y
Jessica Gartner
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
A few nuggets, but a lot of filler.
Robson Castilho
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Why starting a business thinking in a product or service right from the start? This book show us another point of view: start with valuable content, build an audience and then start monetizing.

Easy-reading (even for those, like me, that are not "marketing people"), very inspiring and with valuable ideas to every entrepreneur planning to start something new. I do recommend it!
Jeremy Morgan
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not the usual fluff and salesy junk you see about content. This is a solid plan for not only creating good content, but scaling a content plan and repurposing it.
Dr. Tobias Christian Fischer
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The business model is about “content”. The idea is to understand what the customers actually want and create the content adjusted to it. The goal: get the export status.
Sherilynn Macale
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly summed up a *lot* of great points that I already knew, while also teaching me a teensie bit about what I didn't know. For someone new to content marketing, this is a great beginner's guide with lots of helpful suggestions to get you started. I'd suggest keeping this next to your desk as a bible for the basics of content marketing and dog-earing the crap out of it with annotations.
Darren
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content is king is an old mantra, or it just feels as for more years than one cares to remember content has been an over-used and often under-appreciated term. To an old journalist who trained on manual typewriters and had no Internet access, content is, well, just what we used to call copy. Different copy for different purposes, audiences and goals.

This book tries to push its way into a fairly crowded area, aiming to show entrepreneurs how content may be used to build “massive audiences” and cr
Ian Lurie
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Great book and introduction to content marketing. Definitely for novices. If you're already a marketer, consider Kristina Halvorson's stuff, which dives deeper into the theory and strategy behind content.
Eun
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some useful tips, but mostly generic. Felt like reading a sale pitch the whole time.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses by Joe Pulizzi was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top Business Books of 2016.

THE SOUNDVIEW OVERVIEW:

What's the surest way to startup failure? Follow old, outdated rules. In Content Inc., one of today's most sought-after content-marketing strategists reveals a new model for entrepreneurial success. Author Joe Pulizzi flips the traditional entrepreneurial a
Avtar Ram Singh
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I have a lot of respect for Joe and CMI, and perhaps my expectations going into this should have been a lot more measured. Content Inc's model is one that I truly believe in, I especially like the "tilt" - which is something that most businesses often forget about and start diving into a crowded space with a "me too" voice.

That being said, for experienced marketers, a blog post or a white paper would have been enough. For novice marketers, this is a solid addition to have in their library. Joe v
Max Berger
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first in a line of business books that I've been obliged to read for my job, Content Inc. was not a book I would ever have chosen to read of my own accord. And yet, I'm glad that I did.

It was surprisingly pertinent to me and my personal goals for content creation, and I was continually pleased by how useful and even inspiring it was to read. Some sections were aimed at businesses and not individuals, making some of the advice inapplicable to me, but I still found value in almost every chapte
penny shima glanz
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content is key. We know it can and should be written once and then repurposed into other formats. But how? Why? In Content Inc, Pulizzi shows you how to take your content to the next level and build a thriving business.

First however, you need to be patient; this is not a get rich quick scheme. To succeed at this content model, you need to perform extensive planning and work hard.

While some of the technology tools described in this 2015 publication are now dated, I believe the key principals of
Amar
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good overall concepts but I think this book is highly rated because of the time it came out (when content marketing was starting to become popular - this book helped) - now though it seems to be ... not outdated ... but kind of obvious?

I took away some good ideas like from most books and may even host a small event after listening to this but honestly don't feel like I got too much new from it

(I would still recommend this book to many that are looking to get into Content marketing, but if you've
Terence
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-read
Unfortunately the best thing I can say about this book is that it may be valuable to those that are brand new to content marketing.

That said, I completely disagree with Joe's philosophy that every company needs to be a content company first. Hog wash!

This book clearly checks a box, 'Look at me, I wrote (another) book!' Joe says as much in the book. At times it seems like he is just trying to hit a word or character count by providing yet another example, or including yet another blog post entry
Sam
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Content Inc. is a great inside look at how companies in a digital world gain traction in a competitive market. This will be a good resource to come back to in the future if I ever dedicate more time to a blog I've always wanted to start.

If I had read this in 2015, I'd likely give it 5 stars. However, the digital world is a rapidly changing environment, and some of this content is already a bit dated. Also, some of the opinionated suggestions I didn't completely agree with.

Overall good book that
Benedict Tan
There are helpful tips in the book, but Pulizzi makes it sound too simple. Yes, the model works, and he does qualify and say that it is hard work, but I believe there are many factors he does not consider. As a marketer in esports, I've tried to adopt this model at work, and although the grounding principles are sound, it's not exactly revolutionary.

Would recommend giving this a read for someone unfamiliar with "content marketing," but as someone who has consumed lots of articles on the subject
Katrina Douglas
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile read. if you are already a proponent of the Content Inc approach there won't be much new for you in this book, it's simply a reminder of the principles of good content marketing. However there are still a few gems in there that will be of value even to the seasoned content marketer particularly towards the end of the book. For those new to content marketing or just getting their feet wet this is a great read.
Abdulaziz Alahmadi
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
​I found myself amused and fortunate for having the opportunity to learn the secret of a successful marketing strategy as shared by Pulizzi. I always knew that content is a powerful tool but Pulizzi's book has offered a generous assistance on how to use the content effectively as a marketing tool for a successful business. Although Pulizzi has clearly delivered his points regarding the topic, I believe that he is not yet done with his work since online media content is continuously evolving.
Chris Goyzueta
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Really loved this book! Joe Pulizzi lays out a very simple and easy to follow game plan on how to implement a Content Inc. strategy into your business. I'm excited to start implementing some of these tools immediately into my business, and also my course that I teach on Artist Development. Great read! Thanks, Joe!
Sabrine Elk
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to the concept of content marketing for noobs. Joe's writing style is compelling and the narrative of the book is structured in a way that makes it easy to digest for a new initiate to the world of content. I'd highly recommend this book for anyone looking to embark on a career in digital & content marketing or for entrepreneurs and small business owners. ...more
Yoric
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The main philosophy is: "the absolute best way to start a business today is not by launching a product, but by creating a system to attract and build an audience."
That means finding your niche, creating a solid free content database, creating a "mailing list", then asking your audience what's their problem, and finally make to product they want.
Muhammad Ridwan
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much detail in every page that this is more a guide than a book. Warning ! it's not a fast read, as your mind will wander around on the hows to implementing the ideas in the book. A must for serious bloggers and content writers.
Kushmakar Sharma
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marketing in a digital world needs a different approach. You have to create content that matters to your TG, share it to gain their trust and then talk business. This book has an interesting framework on how to go about that process.
Aleks
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cesar Millán
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
One of the greates books I have ever read about content marketing, If you are tinking about creating your own company, please read this book first and get a great idea how to create your audience and monetize your content and knowledge. Joe Pulizzi, killed with this book! A must Read!
Waseem
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good comprehensive guide and blueprint to teach you how to successfully make your mark as a content producer and how to do it right to find your own unique angle/voice to set yourself apart from the noise...

To Our Continued Success!
Seemy
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Content Machine: Use Content Marketing to Build a 7-figure Business With Zero Advertising
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Top of Mind: Use Content to Unleash Your Influence and Engage Those Who Matter to You: Use Content to Unleash Your Influence and Engage Those Who Matter to You
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • Content Marketing Revolution: Seize Control of Your Market in Five Key Steps
  • Global Content Marketing: How to Create Great Content, Reach More Customers, and Build a Worldwide Marketing Strategy That Works
  • Success Secrets of the Online Marketing Superstars
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Managing Content Marketing: The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand
  • The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users
  • Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
  • The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing
I'm a traditionally published and indie author. I focus on both nonfiction business (marketing) and mystery/thriller novels (I know, strange right?).

My latest novel:
- The Will to Die (2020, Z Squared Media) --- ORDER NOW

My nonfiction books include:
- Killing Marketing (2017, McGraw-Hill)
- Content Inc. (2015, McGraw-Hill)
- Epic Content Marketing (2013, McGraw-Hill, Named Best Biz Book, Fortune Magaz

News & Interviews

“Entrepreneurship is the pursuit of opportunity without regard to resources currently controlled.” 3 likes
“For each article, Upworthy writes a minimum of 25 different headlines. Then the company does various A/B tests with its subscription lists to see which headline led to the most e-mail opens and the most shares.” 1 likes