Start by marking “Bleed” as Want to Read:
Bleed

Bleed

(Bleed #1)

LIFE IS A NIGHTMARE for Miranda. Without knowing when or why, blood oozes from her palms – an anomaly that makes her feel like a freak. But her abnormality is now the least of her worries. She’s just enrolled at “Suicide High.” Three deaths in three months – one occurring just days before her arrival.

When she bumps into a cute boy named Jake, things don’t appear so glum. E
Published August 31st 2015 by CreateSpace (first published August 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Bleed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleed

Start your review of Bleed
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Garden Gate Press and NetGalley.)

“This is why I bleed.”

This was a slightly unusual fantasy story, about teens with strange gifts, trying to stop a rash of suicides.

I have to say that these kids had some weird gifts, Miranda with her stigmata that just bled all the time must have been awful for her, Xyan spoke in tongues when she really didn’t want to, and Sam wasn’t able to eat anything without eati
Montzalee Wittmann
BLEED by Dax Varley is a teen/young adult paranormal suspense novel. Miranda comes to "Suicide High", called this because of all the suicides in the last few months. Miranda also has stigmata. She knows it is a rare thing but always wondered why her. She meets four other teens at the school that have other paranormal/supernatural traits/abilities. She soon finds out why she bleeds and what she needs to do with it and what it has to do with "Suicide High". Great plot, characters, twists, suspense ...more
Abbie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

This wasn't an awful read, but I can't say I really enjoyed it. It could be quite confusing at times, and the whole thing was pretty weird.

This just couldn't keep my interest, so a lot of it dragged for me.

Overall, Not an enjoyable read for me unfortunately.
Deana ~ Organically grown, Fae dusted
Miranda has a secret: She’s a stigmatic. Wrapped in gauze and fingerless gloves, Miranda is the new girl at the school dubbed Suicide High. It’s seen three suicides in recent months. The only remotely pleasant thing at this cursed school is a boy named Jake. But Miranda’s not the only weirdo there. Jake can see into the future. Sam eat sins. Xyan personifies the talent of glossolalia. Oh, and Topher heals people. All normal, yes?

But Jake is the one who realizes all of them have more than just La
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Well this just wasn't really for me. I didn't like how it flowed and I couldn't get connected to the characters. I did like the description throughout the book and it was dark in places so it wasn't fluffy like most books like this are. I liked the talents they were unique and the big fight at the end was good too.
Rose Hastings
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 star-ish?

Miranda Murphy is a stigmatic, one whose palms randomly bleed. Everyone believes she's special but for her, it seems like an unnecessary curse and hates it. She's the newest student at 'Suicide High,' where three students have taken their own lives just months within each other. First day of school, she recieves a note telling her to take her own life. Together with Jake-the seer, Sam-the sin-eater, Topher- the healer and Xyan- the speaker of tongues, Miranda must try to stay alive
MK ( Makayla)
The general story was interesting ,but there were so many parts that disturbed me enough to the point where I felt sick so this is NOT FOR ME !

Content : * Huge trigger warning suicide *
Very disturbing descriptions to girls killing themselves or trying to .

A demonic even kind of thing that posseses bugs and encourages and torments the characters until they kill themselves.

Very strong language .

A character who has a POV is gay , and talks about how his parents took him to some place to have the g
Genea
Sometimes you find a hidden gem and Bleed by Dax Varley was exactly that. Never heard of the author or the book before, but it was triple whammy when I saw the cover, the title and the synopsis. I was very intrigued and wanted to read it. What should clue you in on how much, is that I’ve had this book for just over a week and I’ve already read it. That’s actually very rare for me, it’s been a long time since I’ve read a book so quickly after purchasing it. I was in the mood for some horror and t ...more
K.L.
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*review copy provided by Netgalley

Bleed is an amazing novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat wanting more. Dax Varley doesn’t disappoint. The characters are unique and well developed. The plot is creative and interesting. The paranormal aspect of the story is tied together very well. The five individuals that are the ‘Chosen Ones’ are connected together and together as a team is their only shot at surviving…according to a prophecy.

An overabundance of suicides have haunted Century High
Ri v
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
*FREE ARC FROM AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

MY REVIEW

Miranda is an anomaly, her palms spurt out blood. Enrolled at a new school, she meets three other "gifted students" who can see the future, sin-eat and speak all the languages! But Miranda's new school has been nicknamed "suicide high" for a reason. Students keep committing suicide and it's up to these four to figure out why these kids are killing themselves.

Plot wise-wow! Super original! A person who shoots out blood? You gotta adm
Amy
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I was worried about the book and delving into the thoughts of suicide. It wasn't like it. Then I was worried it was being glorified. It wasn't like that either. So we follow a group of teenagers with extraordinary abilities. They each get their own POV through the story. I thought that might get too much, but it was actually done well. Their mission: Find the demon that's manipulating people and end him. The blood wasn't really all that gory. I can be a little funny about blood, bu ...more
Angela Street
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that deals with 5 teenagers fighting an ancient demon who is causing teens to kill themselves. It has gotten so bad that the school that these teens attend has started being called suicide high. The thing that makes this book so unique and stand out are the gifts that these teens have. They have the gifts of being a seer, a stigmatic, speaking in tongues, a healer and a sin eater, I have seen books with individuals with one of these gifts but to put all five of these gifts in one ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Review Excerpt: Bleed reads fast, with the smallest of breaks in between tragedy, action, or discovery. You never really know much about the characters, but you find out swiftly that you don’t need to. They aren’t cardboard cutouts, they just aren’t super fleshed-out. This is one of those times when everything, even a character’s personal development, takes a backseat to the plot. Its a good thing. It doesn’t always work, but when it does, it makes for a dizzying, yet great, read.

Interested in r
R.L.
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a book signing. Dax Varley can tell a story well. I wasn't sure what to expect as I began reading this. With each character's realization that what they thought of as a curse is actually a gift I found myself drawn more into the impending dread of what I would discover in the character's high school. I thought I knew who the antagonist would be, but found myself surprised in the end.
mith
Ummm. Definitely a three stars for this one. But I'm still confused on where I actually stand. It wasn't bad? But it wasn't entirely amazing either?
Terri Lytle
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a weird book, but in the best way possible! I like to playbook roulette on my kindle and just scroll super fast until it stops and click on the first one I see...and that’s how this fortunate choosing happened! The characters were all super relatable and interesting, the story moved along nicely, and I was hooked from the first chapter! It was a great YA read, and I look forward to reading more from this author!
Beth
What a great ride! I am so glad that I purchased this book for my teen collection. I enjoyed the whole story. It had humor, surprises, characters I loved, and blood...lots and lots of blood! I am excited for the next in the series! A lot of my horror loving teens are going to eat this one up!!!
Johnny Andrews
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better YA type books, this is hugely enjoyable with good characters. High School at the dubbed Suicide High will never be the same for a few special teens.
Not ya norm when these teens come together for their unique powers, a prophecy and someone or something manipulating teens to kill themselves.
Pamela
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just OK

Interesting set of characters. There are editing and proofreading issues, and I didn't see any reason for the different points of view because they added nothing to the story.
Not great but not bad either.
Kathleen Hill
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great story line and story kept me turinging pages
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: source-author

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

With a title like Bleed I should not have been surprised by the gruesome beginning of this story. I doubt I’ll ever read a prologue as shocking and disturbing as this one, and it really set my expectations for the rest of the book. I am happy to tell you I was not disappointed. Bleed wins
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
Review originally posted on my blog: I Heart Fictional People

INITIAL THOUGHTS

To be honest, I had mixed feelings about the cover. While it definitely caught my attention, it kind of looked a little too sexual than I think was intended. However, the synopsis had me hooked right away. All the suicides occurring and the five students with unique gifts just sounded like something I had to read.

WHAT I LIKED

The writing. I have never read anything by Dax Varley, but based on this book, she is clearly ve
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers. There’s also potentially triggering material mentioned).

I was immediately intrigued by the blurb of this book. I like paranormal-themed books and this one sounded interesting enough to be a bit different. And as I read it, I felt it did meet my expectations really well.

The very first scene of this book did a really good job of setting the tone for the rest of the book, I felt. It was really creepy,
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

When I first saw the tour invite for Bleed - I knew it was something I wanted to get my hands on. I love discovering new authors, series and books and I am happy I took a chance on it.

Bleed has such an interesting plot line. While yes, a demon wreaking havoc is nothing short of original; the characters and their powers are. And it wasn't them individually, working together and being together it what made them stronger.

Miranda - The Stigmata

Jake
Ben Eads
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I hear the term “Young Adult Fiction”, I cringe. Mainly because the majority of novels in this category lack what makes a story good. And condescension is usually in abundance. I’m very pleased to say that is not the case with Bleed.

Varley has given us five exceptional people—not characters—filled with emotions we can actually believe in. Also, Varley’s voice is arresting. The story is unique and full of great twists readers won’t see coming. Be warned: once you start reading, you’ll ha
Terri Robinette
Five teenagers possess a gift (or a curse - however you view it). A boy that "remembers" the future. A boy who can heal with his touch. A girl with the golden tongue who can speak any language, past or present. The boy that absorbs sins by eating in front of others. Lastly, the girl who bleeds from her palms. These gifts lead them on a terrifying journey to fulfill their destiny in a fight against evil.

The book inched along at the beginning. I began to doubt that I would finish it. Suicide High
Lori Murray
I really enjoyed this story a whole lot, it was very interesting and loved these 5 very special individuals. It was interesting in regards to what each individuals special ability was. Jake and Miranda where my favorites but I really enjoyed all 5 of them. Sam's ability I sure wouldn't have wanted at all. Topher I loved his talent. At first I wasn't sure who the bad person was than I thought I knew than second guessed myself, but I shouldn't have because I was spot on. And I loved how sassy Xyan ...more
Jenn
Miranda's wrists gush out blood. She doesn't know why or when it will happen. As if that isn't bad enough she has just enrolled at a new school which has been nicknamed "Suicide High" thanks to the increasing amount of suicides happening lately. It's here she bumps into a cute boy named Jake and learns that he has the power to predict the immediate future. Jake's friend, Sam, eats the sins of the dead. Two of their classmates also have special powers. Topher can heal by touch. Xyan can speak and ...more
AK Mama Reads
I can honestly say I have never read a book anything like this before. Sure you've got your suspenseful mystery elements, and certainly your paranormal, even a good bit of high school humor, but Bleed is so utterly original I can't even quite categorize it for you properly. The five main characters are a big part of the difference- the story is told from different points of view rather than solely focusing on one or two people, and instead of being confusing it gives you a well rounded look at w ...more
Ceecee
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great YA Horror!

This is not your usual good vs. evil novel, as Dax Varley is an exceptional YA novelist! I’m always amazed with the skillful manner in which she connects with all ages!

Immediately, the story packs a punch! We’re given narration from several view points, including that of a very nasty culprit, with remarkable precision. The writing is so good, there is no lull, no confusion, and definitely no lack of imagination. The rag tag team representing the good is an authentic version of
YA Buddy Readers'...: Bleed By Dax Varley - Restarting June 1st 2020 54 128 Jun 03, 2020 10:45AM
Goodreads Librari...: Two Copies of the Same Book Added 16 40 Sep 05, 2015 12:17AM
Goodreads Librari...: Replacing A Cover 3 17 Aug 17, 2015 06:39PM

• The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1)
  • BlueBuried Muffins (Black Cat Cafe #1)
  • The Case of the Wayward Witch (A Katy Kramer Cozy Mystery No. 1) (Katy Kramer Cozy Mysteries)
  • Centaur of the Crime: Book One of 'Fantasy and Forensics' (Fantasy & Forensics 1)
  • Helter Witchelter (Witch's Guide to Haunted Properties: Los Angeles: Mystery Book 3)
  • The house next door
  • Mindspeak (Mindspeak, #1)
  • Zodiac Academy: Cursed Fates (Supernatural Beasts and Bullies, #5)
  • The Summoning (The Vampire Trials #1)
  • Bitten (Once Bitten, Twice Shy, #1)
  • You've Got Tail (Peculiar Mysteries, #1)
  • Skin & Bones (The Ever Chace Chronicles, #1)
  • Seven Sins of Snow
  • Den of Vipers
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery
  • The Cat of Amontillado (The Psychic Cat Mysteries #1)
  • Better off Dead Book One
  • Twisted: The Girl Who Uncovered Rumpelstiltskin's Name
Dax Varley is the author of SLEEPY HOLLOW, RETURN TO SLEEPY HOLLOW, BLEED, and NIGHTMARE HOUSE. She loves humor, horror and all things paranormal.

When Dax isn't writing, she's collecting odd photos online, reading recaps of her favorite shows, or kicked back with a good book. She lives in Richmond, Texas with her husband, a shelf full of action figures, and about a dozen imaginary friends.

Bleed (2 books)
  • SINFUL: A Bleed Novel (Book 2)

News & Interviews