Start by marking “A Kindled Winter” as Want to Read:

A Kindled Winter

“Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas.” — Dale Evans

Spirited Jeseca Reed. Withdrawn Dr. David Drake. Each have known loss. Both have felt heartache.

A week before Christmas, Jeseca Reed sets off for rustic Blue River, Oregon—her childhood home and a vault of tender memories. However, fate takes an unexpected turn
Kindle Edition, 1, 130 pages
Published November 1st 2015 by Black Lyon Publishing, LLC

Start your review of A Kindled Winter
Elaine *~ on cloud 9 ~*
Gorgeous and unforgettable! Quirky Jeseca and the reclusive, darkly mysterious David Drake are a true "mismatch" made in heaven. They were a phenomenal couple and I absolutely loved watching them overcome their personal barriers and internal ghosts to find that special, heart stopping, once in a lifetime romance. The writing was immersive and oftentimes poetic. It was easy to imagine myself in Jeseca's shoes, racing through Oregon's rustic wildlife and white snow. Loved this deep, hope inspiring ...more
Dianne
The magic of the holiday season and the pain of being alone with the darkest of memories and heartbreak bring two hearts together, each thawing the frozen depths of their souls with the warmth of new love. A Kindled Winter by Rachel L. Demeter is romance, second chances and learning to let go of the past to reach for promise of a brighter future.

“Twas the week before Christmas, the roads were a mess and Jeseca’s mind was on the bittersweet memories of the town she left behind and the sister she
Marie
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just loved it!! Rachel Demeter's literary style is quite good, she has a way of getting you vested in the characters that takes you thru the full emotional spectrum and she did just that with A Kindled Winter.
You will fall in love with Jeseca and David's story. They find love in the most unexpected set of circumstances. Its like they were destined to meet, here are two lost souls going thru life in the shadows. They so desperately needed to heal from the tragic events of their past. They mirac
Sivonna
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a breathtaking, deeply moving and HOT holiday romance! This is the perfect story to curl up with beside a roaring fireplace. David and Jeseca were beautifully broken, each trapped by their personal demons, and aching for love - and their chemistry was off the charts. I could practically feel the flames leaping off the pages. Brody, David's English sheepdog, was beyond adorable and stole a chunk of my heart.

Don't be turned off by the book's shorter length - the characters and story are writt
Grace
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grab your fav hot beverage and snuggle next to the fireplace with this steamy and emotionally charged holiday story. I fell hard for David and Jessica and burned through the book in several hours. It's a truly beautiful story about redeeming love, second chances, forgiveness, family, and sacrifice--and one you don't want to miss!! ...more
Lindy
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a wonderful surprise. When I picked it up, I was expecting a fluffy, lighthearted Christmas romp, and I got so much more. Sure there were plenty of fluffy and adorable moments (the sugar cookie fight!), but what really impressed me and kept me glued to the pages was Jeseca and David's healing journey. It was emotional, gut wrenching, and brimming with honest emotion. You'll definitely want to keep a box of tissues handy. So happy I took a chance on this story, though I should ...more
Julie
A Kindled Winter by Rachel L. Demeter is a 2015 Black Lyon Publishing, LLC publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A Kindled Winter is a poignant tale set against the backdrop of the Christmas season, which can be one of the most difficult times of the year for some people, but can also be the most uplifting and heartwarming.

This story will take you on a journey with one couple who go from the depths of despair to finding a new beginning, faith, hope an
Catrina
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous writing and equally gorgeous characters! The perfect book for a snowy Christmas night!~
Katie
5 hands and hearts stars

Let me start off by saying that I LOVED THIS BOOK! It literally had everything I love about romance novels, all wrapped up in a beautifully written package. Thus, proving that Ms Demeter is not just a historical romance writer, but that she can write contemporary romance as well!

I like my heroes:
scarred on the inside ✓
scared on the outside ✓
with a sordid past ✓
low self esteem (except in the bedroom!) ✓
sexy ✓

I like my heroines:
also with a sordid past ✓
strong ✓

Series or Standalone: Standalone
Rating: ★★★★★

Review

description

Having never read this author before, but this seeming from the synopsis like a story that I could really get behind, I wasted no time getting into it the second it dropped on my kindle and I have no regrets.

A Kindled Winter is so much more than a holiday romance. It’s so much more than two people falling in love period. It’s about two emotionally drained and broken by
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Rachel Demeter asked me to review her book, A Kindled Winter, and one look at her book description told me this would likely be an emotional read. I was right. In fact, these two amazing people - Jeseca and David - both suffered tragic loss in their pasts, which made parts of this story heartbreaking.

Blurb…

A week before Christmas, Jeseca Reed sets off for Blue River, Oregon—her childhood
Stephanie (Bookfever)
A Kindled Winter was really amazing. It was a beautiful story but also captivating and so passionate. I absolutely loved it and couldn't put my Kindle down!

Unlike the author's other books, which are historical, this one was a shorter contemporary holiday story. I thought Jeseca and David's connection was incredible. Both are grieving people they've lost but when they met they finally started healing.

It was really great to read and see how Jeseca slowly made David open up to her. They both had a
Lacey
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! Passionate & uplifting, with memorable characters!
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Kindled Winter by Rachel L. Demeter takes its readers to a moment in time suspended by the shared pain of loss and the grief of its characters. The hero and heroine each hold the key to unlocking the other person's past, releasing them from their solitary purgatories. This book shares their journey in dealing with their previous history and finding their life's potential and happiness in the love of each other. Unlike this author’s prior works, which were historically based, her latest work is ...more
Lina's Reviews  ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥ღೋBook Blogღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥
What an emotional story!!!! This book bursts with humanity and love.
Jeseca seeks refuge during bad weather but she never expected to find everything in David Drake's home.
Formidable and elusive, David is not by any means someone who opens up. So, when he allows Jeseca to stay in his house until the storm passes, he never expected her to find her way into his heart.
David has known loss and devastation and he has deep scars, inside and out, as proof.
Jeseca has her own demons and memories to fight
Marissa
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning Christmas read that's sure to warm your heart & even bring tears to your eyes!! ...more
Sybil aka Lala
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jeseca is on her way to her childhood home when she’s trapped in a rain storm after her car veers off the road. She stumbles onto a cottage inhabited by Dr David Drake.

From the very first paragraph you’re captured by the author’s descriptions into an almost ghostly, ethereal world that lends a certain intensity to this book.

David spends his time in the cottage and immerses himself in the sadness and memories of his son. The son that died in a horrible accident that left David scarred and his s
Loraine Oliver
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
Recommended to Loraine by: Author gave me an ARC for an honest review
Shelves: reviewed-books
A Kindled Winter by Rachel L. Demeter is the third book I have read by this author, and I loved it, it did not disappoint! This is a contemporary Second chance romance if I had to put it in a category but it is so much more than that. It is a poignant, beautifully written novel about two people that have had some terrible things happen in their lives, and while one of them is still out in the public working, the other has shut himself up in a cabin in Oregon and only goes outside when he absolut ...more
puppitypup
Contemporary Romance Ridiculous!

This book has convinced me to update my reading system. For all these years, I've used one star for books I couldn't get myself to finish; and two stars for books I didn't really enjoy, but managed to finish.

Now that I'm doing the Seasonal Reading Challenge, I'm finishing books that do not deserve two stars. This one is the final straw, I just cannot give this book two whole stars.

This book is just one contradiction after another. It's raining hard enough that sh
Deborah
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A beautiful Christmas romance.

Jeseca Reed and David Drake are both troubled tortured souls who happen to find each other a week before Christmas just when they need each other the most.
On the surface Jeseca is coping with her tragedy better, she lives in Los Angeles and works in advertising, after all no one sees the nightmares which plague her every night.
Dr David Drake has become a recluse and avoids life the best he can, wallowing in his misery and self loathing.
These two are both in limbo b
Diana Stîngă
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://mikkysworldofbooks.blogspot.fr...

A Kindled Winter is a short story of two people who find love in unexpected circumstances.

On her way to visit her mother for Christmas in Blue River, Oregon, Jeseca Reed stumbles upon Dr. David Drake, a damaged man who lives his life surrounded by loneliness.

The two of them come from different worlds: after he lost his beloved family and
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
The original review can be found on GenuineJenn.com. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book starts out like any other romance, chick lit, girl gets into car wreck and ends up at a house in the middle of no where with a hot guy. Okay, maybe they don't all start out like that, do they? Jeseca has some dark past issues she hasn't come to terms with and when she meets this dark and mysterious man, Dr. David Drake, who also has some dark issues, they click. This no
Nicole
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, tender and hot - a great combo! A beautiful story to read beside a fireplace on a cold winter's night. Jeseca and David's tragic backstories will pull at your heart; you can't help but root for them and yearn for them to find their much deserved HEAs. ...more
Sandra Hoover
*Many thanks to the author for a copy of this book for review.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I was asked to read and review this book by the author, but I loved the cover at first sight and the synopsis enticed me so I said Yes. I'm glad I did. My Kindled Winter is a heart-touching story that really embodies the holiday spirit as two lost souls meet and dare to reach out to one another. Jeseca Reed and Dr. David Drake both bear the crushing weight of past tragedies in their lives. When Jeseca
Reba
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once again I have fallen in love with the characters this gifted author, Rachel L. Demeter, has created. From the moment I began A KINDLED WINTER, I just couldn’t put it down. This was a journey of two tormented souls, Jeseca and David, each unable to move forward in life because of horrific family tragedies. Jeseca’s scars were all inside her heart and soul, while David’s were both on the inside and out. His bodily scars were a constant reminder of his great loss. I found this love story to be ...more
April
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
** This May Contain Spoilers **

By: Rachel Demeter

I received this book as a gift for an honest review.

This is the second book that I have read of Rachel’s and I must say that I am not sure what it is about her books but once I start I just cannot stop. I went to bed at 2am last night because I could not stop. ☺ I would suggest Rachel Demeter books to everyone.

A Kindled Winter is a book about two people haunted by their past. Two people who take the blame for accidents that happe
Fizza
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book, beautifully written. I loved both the story and the characters. It is a tale of two incomplete people who complete each other. It's tragic and still very hope inspiring book. A heart-warming story with a little darkness which makes it just perfect. I think it is very entertaining and enjoyable holiday read and if you like romance novels then it is definitely for you.

Jessica is going to stay with her mom for the winter but on her way she end up stranded in the snow storm.
Carla
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE the way Rachel writes. She pulls you into the story and immerses you in their lives, their pain, their hope and their love. A Kindled Winter does all of this and more.

David has experienced a pain that no person should ever have to (telling you would give away the hardest part of the book and you really want to read it to find out!). He forces seclusion on himself so that he can almost punish himself for his past. His past has left him physically, emotionally and mentally scarre
Kaity ♡
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
~*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review*~

'A Kindled Winter' is the story of two people with heartbreaking pasts. Jeseca Reed and David Drake have both lost people they have loved and both blame themselves for it all. One night, a stranded Jeseca stumbles upon the home of David Drake, a surgeon, and from that moment, both their fates are sealed. Together, they overcome the guilt and sadness of their past and fall in love, as well.

I am not very fond of modern romances
Melvina
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a quick read that will get you in the Christmas mood….this is it! Grab a box of Kleenex and get comfortable….you won’t want to put this beautifully written book down!
From the first page I was drawn into the endearing and tragic story told from a dual POV from David and Jeseca…..two deeply scarred people, perfect for each other, who are barely existing until fate steps in and they are brought together....where finally they start to heal in each other’s arms.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Melt for You (Slow Burn, #2)
  • The End of the Affair
  • The Wrong Family
  • The Roommate
  • The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland, #2)
  • Ruth's Bonded (Ruth & Gron, #1)
  • The Perfect Marriage
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • The Ex Talk
  • Twice Shy
  • Finlay Donovan Is Killing It (Finlay Donovan, #1)
  • The Echo Wife
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • True Story
  • The Boys' Club
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
See top shelves…
Thank you for stopping by my Goodreads page!

I live in the beautiful hills of Anaheim, California with Teddy, my goofy lowland sheepdog, and my adorable snake Nagini. (GO Slytherins!) I enjoy writing poignant romances that challenge the reader’s emotions and explore the redeeming power of love. My stories are darker than most traditional romance novels and contain a distinct Gothic flavor.

Imagini