Start by marking “Definitions of Indefinable Things” as Want to Read:
Definitions of Indefinable Things

Definitions of Indefinable Things

This heartbreaking, humorous novel is about three teens whose lives intersect in ways they never expected.

Reggie Mason is all too familiar with "the Three Stages of Depression." She believes she’s unlocked the secret to keeping herself safe: Nobody can hurt you if you never let them in.

Published April 4th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Definitions of Indefinable Things, please sign up.
Bookish Bella I wouldn't recommend it to a 12 yr old . It has things a 12yr old won't understand.
Alyssa Britt here is no definition of love, but one can become it. Life can become the definition of it. There is no possibility of defining love in words, but one…morehere is no definition of love, but one can become it. Life can become the definition of it. There is no possibility of defining love in words, but one can live in such a way that one's whole being becomes its definition. And. each one has to find the definition on his own. Nobody can live somebody else's definition, otherwise one has missed one's life.
Life is an opportunity to carve out the definition of love. It is a raw opportunity, just like a marble rock. Each one has to carve something out of it. The whole of life is raw: we have to create it, we have to give it a form. We have to make that which is unmanifest, manifest. We have to bring the seed to its flowering. And each individual is so unique that there is no possibility of general definition, hence love is indefinable... because your definition will not be my definition, my definition will not be your definition.
Read more about it https://artscolumbia.org/category/def...
So live in such a way that life becomes more and more love... Less and less-business, more and more love; less and less rice and more and more roses, so something of the beyond starts penetrating you. Love makes one open to the beyond. And love has to flow in as many directions as possible. It should not move only in one dimension -- otherwise life remains one-dimensional; it should be multi-dimensional. One should love people, one should love poetry, one should love music; one should love as many things as possible. Then each dimension gives a new richness to your being. And when all the dimensions are flowering, for the first time you start feeling what love is.
One can feel it, one can know it, but one cannot say it. One can show it, but one cannot say it. (less)
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
215 books — 1,559 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,084 books — 8,395 voters

More lists with this book...

C.G. Drews
Okay but just WOW this was one of those unexpected pockets of beautiful perfection that I can't love enough. I had no no idea I was going to fall so in love with this book. INSERT ALL THE HEART EYES AND THEN THE CRYING EYES AND THEN ME = A BUCKET OF APPRECIATION. The characters were complex amazingness and I laughed so hard I actually had to stop reading for a moment and collect myself.

It's just exploding my heart that a book about people trying to feel made me feel so much.

It's about depression
may ❀
book #4 done for the booktubeathon ✔

I got me my tea and im ready to dish out a roast. I’m pretty much gonna be repeating the plot so yes SPOILERS AHEAD

For the pros which are sadly few
- I did enjoy the first 10% ish?? The humour was dark and made me laugh a few times.
- Um, there was some talk about depression and emotions and coming to terms with grief and loss
- there also was nice growth of friendship between reggie and clara and also with reggie and polka
- yeah that’s it

Okay time to dig into
Katerina Kondrenko
6 out of 10

***Review in Russian and a link to the blog to come***

Short-Soundtrack:
Stumgzeit - Beyond Depressed
SNCKPCK – With You I Feel Alive
Noah Guthrie - New Beginning

Genre: r-contemp, YA
Stuff: depression, teen pregnancy, family stuff
Fail: the main topic is not my cup of tea
WOW: wise thoughts
POV: 1st person, female
Love-Geometry: a weird one

Quote-Core:
"Depression is only as complex as the person who’s defining it."

I'm not a fan of teen-pregnancy books or school stories or angsty romances b
Anna Priemaza
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
How does anyone know they're depressed? You feel equally alive and dead and have no idea how that's even possible. And everything around you doesn't seem so full anymore. And you can't tell if the world is empty or you are. That's how I knew. I realized it wasn't the world that was empty.

DEFINITIONS OF INDEFINABLE THINGS is snarky and funny and beautiful and honest. Reggie Mason has depression, and she talks about all elements of it--the symptoms, the drugs, the side effects, the therapy, the im
Amanda
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Definitions of Indefinable Things by Whitney Taylor Book Review
You can also find this review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This is a story about two depressed teenagers as they struggle to find happiness and love. Reggie is a depressed teenage girl who meets Snake at a pharmacy while they both pick up their depression meds. These two lonely souls strike up an unlikely romance that is challenged by the fact that a pregnant girlfriend. Filled with betrayal, hopelessness and ultimately love, this story is about two teens struggling to find any
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“But every indefinable thing has a beginning, and the beginning of understanding depression is simply this: You’re never as alone as you think you are.”

This was a surprisingly refreshing story about depression. I feel like the story was uniquely presented and had a fresh take on such an important topic. We follow Reggie Mason and Snake Eliot, two teens with depression, as they meet and develop an unusual and compelling relationship.

Things I Liked :
I really enjoyed the humor that was all thro
Stacee
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I think 3 stars might be too high, but I really don't know how I feel about this book.

There were a lot of things I didn't care for. I pretty much loathed Reggie. I did not like being in her head at all. I hated the underlined words, followed by a (see: {enter fake snark here}) that constantly happened. The take on depression was intriguing and entirely different than any other portrayal I've read. I don't know if that's good or bad.

There were some sweet moments and some great pieces of banter.
Chelsea
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I really didn’t expect to dislike this book as much as I did. YA contemporary is typically my favorite genre, but quite a few of the books in this category that I have read recently have been ranging from disappointing to just plain bad.

This novel follows a teenage girl named Reggie who is dealing with depression. She meets a boy from her school, Snake, who is also dealing with depression while picking up her medication. You know what happens from there.

I’ll be nice and start off with the things
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

Guys. GUYS. THIS BOOK. Ohmygod. Read it. Don't even read this review. Just go read this book. Please. Shoo. Go. You'll thank me later.

NO NO NO WAIT, just kidding. Please read this review? You'll hurt my feelings if you don't and I'm very fragile right now after finishing this book. So please read this review, then go read this book, okay? Okay. Great. Because, seriously guys, this book was all kinds of amazing. And I really didn't expect it to be at al
Elizabeth Mathis

Reggie encounters an unexpected challenge to her misanthropy: a Twizzler-chomping, indie film-making narcissist named Snake. Snake’s presence, while reassuring, is not exactly stable—especially since his ex-girl
Aneta Bak
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Definitions of Indefinable Things was such a beautiful novel. It's sarcastic, funny, deep and emotional. I loved it from beginning to end.

Reggie is depressed, she is moody, sassy, and will tell you exactly why she doesn't like you. The last thing Reggie expected, was to meet a boy at the pharmacy. Snake has to start a part time job, and when he runs into his new co-worker Reggie, he can't stop himself about asking her out. The only problem is that Snake is having a baby with Reggie's old co-work
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**I received a complimentary copy of DEFINITIONS OF INDEFINABLE THINGS from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review**

DNF
Reading is my happy place, an escape. Joy. Life is too short to continue reading when I'm not having fun.

Two depressed teens meet in a pharmacy while refilling their meds. How do we know they're depressed? Narrator Reggie, a female, keeps reminding every other page. Snake, a male and soon-to-be baby daddy, falls insta-love. They're snarky, quirky and fairly unlikable.

This
Colleen Scidmore
"Despite his shaggy hair, I could see his eyes sparkling as they teased me. He was some piece of work (see: smug bastard)."

This is a very thought provoking book. There's teen depression, pregnancy, extreme religion, and even LGBT relations.

Depression is an issue that I understand the basic concepts of but Whitney Taylor has me seeing it in a whole new way so that I now realize how seriously debilitating it can be from the person effected to the loved ones and friends surrounding this person. Bu
Atlas
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s
You're never as alone as you think you are

* *
2 / 5

Reggie Mason is depressed. She meets the equally, if not more so, depressed, nihilistic, terrible indie film-maker Snake. Snake's sort-of and entirely one-night-stand girlfriend Carla is seven months pregnant with his child. What intrigued me about Definitions of Indefinable Things is this entirely bizarre triad relationship and the scenes that involved this odd dynamic were definitely my favourites. Unfortunately, I found the book to be unbeara
Jordan Davidson
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
If I learned anything from reading this, it's that I think I've officially outgrown YA. This book is pretty much a symbol of everything that is popular, and everything that is wrong with, YA: hamfisted attempts at approaching complex and serious topics, "edgy" characters who are just grating pretentious jerks, and an overarching heavy "issue" theme added to make the book Relevant and Important with Something to Say to Start a Conversation about whatever issue of the week YA has decided to addres ...more
Kevin Malone
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
yeah no thanks
McKenna
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
**This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Overall, I liked it. It has a dark humor that encapsulates the experience of adolescence with mental illness. I thought the sharp quips were a little aggressive at times, which bugged me some; even with mental illness, I think it's important to recognize that having an illness doesn't excuse assholeish behavior towards someone, especially if its not acknowledged as being hurtful either at the present time or
Alexa
*A copy of this book was provided to me by Raincoast Books*

I'm abandoning this book.

I've read about 100 pages and I'm still not interested. So far it's an average YA story and I'm getting nothing out of it. Also, the main character is annoying, cynical and obnoxious and I don't want to waste my time.

Danielle
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So witty, sharp, and full of emotion! A slice-of-life look at two teens as they navigate love and family and psychiatric medications. :-) Sure to hit close to the heart for many readers.
Natalie Williamson
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this and can't wait to see the finished product. Hurry up, 2017!
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
I received this ARC from Chapters Indigo.

While I think that this book was good in some ways, it was also very, very, frustrating to read. First of all, I didn't like Reggie that much. I feel like she was far too aggressive, disrespectful, and rude most of the time for me to like reading from her perspective. It seemed kind of unrealistic how she acted towards most people, actually, and how they still liked her, because when I'm pissy towards people Because Depression, people tend to never speak
Lily ☁️
DNF at 24%. I actually enjoyed the main character Reggie’s narrative voice immensely, and her experience of depression was well-portrayed. However, I just can’t bring myself to continue, because I absolutely detest Snake (view spoiler), and not even the witty banter he shares with Reggie can offset my profound aversion to him.

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Samantha Boudreau
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book at Teen Book Fest with a friend as an ARC, I dived into this book with no clue what it was going to be about and loved it. Reggie says everything that people are thinking and so realistic on things she made me laugh. Definitely recommend this to other people.
Samantha (WLABB)
This was a story of clinically depressed girl meeting a clinically depressed boy, whose burgeoning romance was complicated by the boy's pregnant girlfriend. For me, this book did not fit neatly into the romance category. I felt that it was more a story of Reggie coming to terms with her depression, and perhaps beginning to make her way out of it.

When I first met Reggie, this is the image that popped into my head:

Reggie was angsty and wore an armor of sarcasm. She struggled to see the good in an
Candace
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some people may be put off by this book because it's not one of the many fairytale rewrites so common and instead is a very realistic look at depression. However for those who take the time, they will find that Taylor has done a very good job of interjecting just the right amount of humor into the book and touches the reader with her honesty and openness in discussing depression.

Two of the three main characters in this book have depression. (See plot summary above.) This is a great plot point be
Gem
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, young-adult
You know that feeling when you desperately want to hate a book yet, no, you like it. With all of its cliches and deep thoughts and flaws. That's how I felt about this book. There was this certain depth to the story, a story which I thought was just another teenage angsty story, but nope. I loved how this tackled depression, however not so deep into the premise as I would have like to. But I can see how the author was really trying hard to convey to the reader on how it is like being depressed. A ...more
Katy Upperman
I loved everything about this forthcoming contemporary YA debut, but particularly main character Reggie. She’s so dry and funny and sharp (a defense mechanism, but still) and I couldn’t help but be absorbed into her weird and wonderful world. See, Reggie falls for a boy named Snake (yes), but Snake’s fathered the town princess’s soon-to-arrive baby, so complications quickly arise. Whitney Taylor does a fantastic job of portraying Reggie’s strengths and soft spots, as well as her ongoing battle w ...more
malayna
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
MY OPINION: **

I finished this a pretty long time ago (around three days), and it's hard to remember everything, as it completely slipped my mind to write this review.

Our main character, Reggie, suffers from depression after a tragic event in her past. She describes depression as three different stages. One day, she goes to pick up her Zoloft (medication for depression) and meets a boy also suffering from depression named Snake. Both of them are cynical and have fairly negative outlooks on life.
Karen (^ v ^)
So close to 5 stars I don't know whether to give it or not. Like 4.75 ??
I loved so many things about this book. It has so many quotable lines I just want to rip out the pages and plaster it all over my walls.
I've read several books now where both the mc and their love interest has depression, and it's never a pretty road to the end of the book. I loved Snake and Reggie and their narcissistic unrelenting sarcasm that's really just hiding the pain underneath.
There's lots of hilarious lines in th
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, library
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I loved how raw Reggie's emotions were and despite not having a diagnosis of depression myself, I could still resonate her experiences with her mental health condition.

I must admit this was a little bit cliché at times but had fantastic character development.

Polka was a precious cinnamon roll and I just want to hug him! Also, I'm majorly craving twizzlers right now, ahahaha.

• You and Me and the End of the World
  • I Am Drums
  • The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash
  • Frayed
  • The Temptation of Adam
  • The A-Word (Sweet Dead Life, #2)
  • Maybe in Paris