Start by marking “The Teachings of Shirelle: Life Lessons from a Divine Knucklehead” as Want to Read:
The Teachings of Shirelle: Life Lessons from a Divine Knucklehead

The Teachings of Shirelle: Life Lessons from a Divine Knucklehead

“Relish the day. If you’re not in awe, you’re just not paying attention.”

She hadn’t even been in the crowded pound a week, but she’d already developed a nickname, “Knucklehead.” As a puppy she destroyed property and precious clothes; as an adult she injured her owner, ruined romances… and changed the world-views of those around her.

Have you ever watched an animal and wonde
ebook
Published November 17th 2015 by Cavalleria Press

To ask other readers questions about The Teachings of Shirelle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teachings of Shirelle

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

This book just broke my heart. It's such a touching and funny story of a man and the dog he rescued as a pup right before she was doomed to be put down.

The story of their lives together is filled with fun, anger, love and many.. what the.. moments.

Shirelle was so funny and sweet and crazy all in one. She learns like they all do how to do things the right way and how to do what she wants. She was a great companion in therapy just by knowing what each patien
Linda
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
...and I'm glad I did, because if you're a dog lover, which I am, it's a goody. Doug, the author, was blessed to have the love of his life, his dog Shirelle, share his life with him for over a decade -- what a lucky man. She was a handful at times, but also a constant source of joy and enlightenment to him. This book could've been subtitled, "Zen and the Art of Learning to Fully Live Life, as Taught by Your Pet." Less a straigh
Mens Rea
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally like memoirs or autobiography-like books so I tend to avoid them. But this one was about the lessons a dog can teach us so I was very willing to read it.

When I first started reading it, I quickly became annoyed by the ignorance the author was showing towards dog behaviour and dog training. I stopped reading it and continued the next day. Then I realised, during this short break that I took from the book, that I was reading it all wrong!

I was paying way too much attention to wha
Miranda
I received a copy via netgalley.

I'm going to admit I'm a sucker for a dog story. I love going to the park and talking to other dog owners about there dogs, I especially loved working at a vet clinic and hearing all these various stories from other good to bad and sometimes sad. My heart will always belong to paws. I thought this to be a many emotion level book, the writing might've needed a bit more focus so it wasn't so scattered brained at times but other then that I took it for just as it was
Angela
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgally
I received a copy for review.

The Shirelle stories are cute and show how much he truly loves his dog. The rest seems detached and more like filler than anything else. He lost me quite a bit when he started talking about taking Shirelle for acupuncture.

Read it for Shirelle, skip all the extra.
Piepie
Thank you to netgalley for this arc!

The cover is beautiful, of the author's dog, Shirelle, who he fondly calls various names such as "my little girl"; "my angel"; and, of course, "Knucklehead." Very rarely do you come across a man who loves his dog as much as Doug loved Shirelle. It is an amazing tribute to a well-loved mutt.

Shirelle's story is magical and mystical. You'll see what I mean when you read it. She comes across as being a brat, but she is such a lover. She understood things that huma
Lozzi Counsell
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start - I feel like there is a big Shirelle shaped hole in my heart. I knew how the story was going to end from the very first turn of the page, but it is still a shock when it happens. I loved the list of 'teachings' from Shirelle and photographs at the end of the book - summed it all up. I would say that the book needs more focus on the life of Shirelle, as although I loved hearing about the authors life, some of it isn't totally relevant to the growth of Shirelle.
Apex157x
My review: I received this as an ARC (Advanced Readers Copy) from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

To be frank, this book took a little bit of effort to get into, I had to stop and go some, leave it then go back to it, it didn't suck me into it like some have, but it was more engaging as it went on, like a movie that start slow then you gradually get into it as it gets more interesting. A bit flowery sometimes, the author definitely wears his heart on his sleeve as it were, but then lat
Izzybatz
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all need a friend or mentor to find ourselves in this confusing world. When the time arrives to look inside ourselves to see who we are after we leave home, it is not always easy to decide if our compass is correct, or what we desire in a chosen mate. The general crowd about us never takes the time to obtain a intricate view into this dilemma. They jump into relationships along with their "baggage", life becomes turbulent, and they never gain essential knowledge to travel a better road.
I init
Kristal Cooper
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Another homage to an "exceptional" pet, by some random person? Yes... and, Not Hardly.

I'll admit, I'm quick to pick up a book like this when I want some inspiration with a side of tear-jerker. As a cat-person, the stories of Dewey and Homer stand out as worthy best-sellers in the genre -- but this one is even better than those because Green does a great job of describing Shirelle's personality. I think it's because he foregoes the day-to-day stuff and gives anecdotal snippets (including poems,
Ruby
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love dogs, this book will deliver a story that will have you shake your head in recognition, laugh at the relationship between the two, and cry as they go through their lows. Shirelle is a dog that has problems from the beginning. She is slated to be destroyed when the author finds her and from there begins a relationship that will impact not only Mr. Green's life, but also many others around him.

I was blown away at how fun and wonderful this story was. Shirelle reminded me of a dog I on
Tina Price
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review, my thanks to Cavalleria and Smith Publicity for this opportunity.
Really enjoyed this story of the life and wisdom of Shirelle. Although the language is a little big"flowery" for me at times, I think this novel will speak to many who share their lives with big hearted , maddening, canine friends. The author's view of Shirelle' s responses, especially her joyful impulsive behaviour is accurate and helpful, especially when thinking about simil
Cthulhu Down My Chimney 2Night
REVIEW: THE TEACHINGS OF SHIRELLE by Douglas Green

I, literally, read every dog book I can. Among these I have certain personal favorites. THE TEACHINGS OF SHIRELLE has become one. Not only do adorable dogs [I know, redundancy] populate this wonderful memoir plus spiritual legacy, but author Douglas Green clearly resonates as I do with the canine species. No dog lover or human-owned-by-dog should miss out on the wonderful THE TEACHINGS OF SHIRELLE.
Tricia Douglas
Douglas Green has written a story about himself, a story about a dog, but most importantly, a story about how to live life. I never knew how important friends, family, AND PETS were until I read this enlightening book. Loved the story and I came away with some wonderful lessons. This is a book I found under the Christmas tree from my daughter. Best thing I have ever received!!!
Nancy
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a loving story between a man & his dog. Do we ever stop to think about the lessons our dog can teach us. Do we realize why the dog in your life does some of the things he or she does? This is the love story of one man and one very special dog who meet at the pound. Just a really beautiful story.
Eileen Hall
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this wonderful story is that I want a dog just like Shirelle!
She can teach all of us many things!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publishers Smith Publicity, Cavalleria via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Shannon
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book.

Beautiful story!
Susan
Feb 23, 2016
  • Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs
  • Dancing Dogs: Stories
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • The Perfect Companion – Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • In Defence of Dogs
  • An Easy Guide to 40 Common Dog and Cat Health Issues
  • Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness
  • Bark and Lunge: Saving My Dog from Training Mistakes
  • Follow My Lead: What Training My Dogs Taught Me about Life, Love, and Happiness
  • Connected Souls A Dog Story
  • Heart to Heart, Hand in Paw: How One Woman Finds Faith and Hope Through the Healing Love of Animals
  • Who's That Dog? 35 Fabulous Rescues That Found Their Forever Homes
  • The Red Highway
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • The Horse Lover: A Cowboy's Quest to Save the Wild Mustangs
  • Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love
Douglas Green is a psychotherapist working in private practice in Los Angeles, specializing in helping kids and teens build lives they can be proud of.

Doug grew up in Kansas City, and has lived in Connecticut and Australia. For over twenty years, he worked in the entertainment world, as a writer, director, producer, editor, actor, assistant director, even truck driver. Plays he wrote and directed