Start by marking “The King in Darkness” as Want to Read:
The King in Darkness

The King in Darkness

Adam Godwinson, former priest, isn't sure what he believes in anymore. These days he deals in used books at a small store in Ottawa. But an old text, written in an unfamiliar language, is about to change that forever. Adam now finds himself the target of a powerful conspiracy. These shadowy figures, wielding abilities he can't understand, want to cleanse society of its sin ...more
Published October 4th 2015 by Renaissance Press (first published August 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The King in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King in Darkness

Cait Gordon
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: authors-i-ve-met
Even though this work is fiction, I'm going to spend the next few days feeling creeped out while living in Ottawa. Little book stores will intrigue me from now on, too. Great characters and I especially thought Alex was extremely well done. I also really related to Adam (don't call him Father) Godwinson. The author crafted a person who has a faith but just cannot align himself to a church anymore, and it felt spot on to me. The plotline kept me interested to the last page. Then I was like, "That ...more
Cassandra Gordon
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic thriller. I'm a slow reader and I finished this in 4 days. The story quickly had me hooked and it kept me on the edge of my seat straight to the end. Loved all of the Ottawa references!
Alison
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read. Suspenseful, interesting characters, definitely kept you anxious to see what was coming next.
Tobin Elliott
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction, horror
I found this book both fun and frustrating.

Overall, the concept—a weirdly out-of-time book that starts as a bit of a mystery and eventually takes on supernatural stakes as big as the end of the world—is right up my alley, and it's what drew me to the novel itself. Well, that and having the great experience of actually meeting the author.

And along with that concept, there are times when the writing is wonderful, especially when the focus is turned on two supporting charact
S.M. Carrière
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Full disclosure: I know the author. We're friends, and published by the same small press.*

I'm part of Evan's writer's circle, and I have long admired the manner in which Evan uses language. His prose while reading is always really well done; pleasant to the ear and trusting in the reader's intelligence. This book is no different. The prose is fantastic.

The characters are also fantastic, and I have a particular soft spot for the protagonist's professor, whose dry wit had
Leslie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an Ottawa resident it was super fun to read a novel set in my city and I loved the dedication to fleshing out the side characters. The love and respect that the protagonist has for the kids from his youth group really touched my heart and this book is very special to me.

The one critique I have is that the start is a little slow but otherwise it is a fun read!
Eric Desmarais
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating mix between academic mystery and supernatural fantasy. The author paints a picture with words and scenes. Highly recommended.
Nathan Frechette
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The King in Darkness is an excellent supernatural suspense set in Ottawa, Ontario. The main character is stuck in a rut so hard he barely notices it; he's estranged from the people he cares about, and he feels like he's lost his way. Through events completely out of his control, he reconnects with them, and with himself, and finally figures out what he truly believes in.

I think I read this book at a very good time in my life, when I was myself feeling a bit lost and purposeless, and the charact
Jeremy Buehler
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The King in Darkness made me feel uncomfortable because I identified with the main character in ways I would not have expected. This made the suspense and dread built up in the story seem more tangible. An entertaining read that I highly recommend!
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable and compelling story with interesting characters. A sign of a great story is when you get so engrossed in it that you nearly miss your bus stop, which happened to me several times.
Marjo
This was a very good read. I found it a bit demanding (others might not) but it offered a lot of rewards for the trouble it gave me. I also really enjoyed the setting, how it was clearly and obviously Ottawa.
Joelle
Kristina Deslaren
Dec 31, 2018
Matthew Parsons
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent debut novel. I think having lived in Ottawa really helped me 'place' the action however
Virginia
Sep 29, 2016
Gisele Thomson
is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2017
Evan May is a freelance writer and history professor who lives in Ottawa, Canada. Evan studied Creative Writing at the University of Windsor before moving on to study medieval history, concentrating on scamps and troublemakers in 15th century York and London. He has recently been pleased to return to writing down some of the strange things that live in his head. When not writing or teaching, Evan ...more