Start by marking “Maybe in Paris” as Want to Read:
Maybe in Paris

Maybe in Paris

Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother, Levi, and high hopes. Levi has just survived a suicide attempt and months in the psych ward—he’s ready for a dose of the wider world. Unlike their helicopter mom and the doctors who hover over Levi, Keira doesn’t think Levi’s certifiable. He’s just . . . quirky. Always has been.

Those quirks quickly begin to spoil th
Published June 20th 2017 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about Maybe in Paris, please sign up.
Rebecca Hi there! I definitely appreciate your concern and thank you for asking the question. While I'm not myself on the autism spectrum, my brother is, and…moreHi there! I definitely appreciate your concern and thank you for asking the question. While I'm not myself on the autism spectrum, my brother is, and MAYBE IN PARIS is inspired by our relationship. He also deals with mental illness. I wrote a guest blog post for my friend, Jill MacKenzie, detailing more of the history of and the story behind the book. I couldn't find the link to that guest post, but I just posted the text of it on my own blog so I could link it here -- http://rebeccachristiansen.com/post/1...

(There is a small #OwnVoices aspect to the novel in that the MC, Keira, suffers from (undiagnosed, but clearly manifesting) anxiety, which I myself have, but I personally don't feel that truly counts as #OwnVoices. It's just an aspect of myself I share with the character.)

Thank you again for the question! :)(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,083 books — 8,398 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
214 books — 1,560 voters

More lists with this book...

C.G. Drews
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well this was definitely a hot mess. And while I was actually wary going in because the blurb alone sounded problematic...I wanted to be wrong??? Because I have a curious infatuation with Paris, which Kiera had too so I was like "SURELY WE MUST GET ALONG LIKE SISTERS". Haha. No. Except for the part where she'd sell her sole for chocolate crepes. Then, sister, we are twins. Other than that?? Please and no. Plus it had a horrible representation of Autism that was rather infuriating and depressing. ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
I'm not doing a star rating for this. I DNF'd at 102 pages, halfway through. I just found it to be entirely too problematic for me and the characters didn't do anything to make me want to continue.

We were lacking character development, we were lacking logical parental thoughts, and we were lacking in (in my opinion) good decision making.

A mother called her daughter a slut. And then they let an 18yr old newly graduated girl take her 16 yr old much larger and physically abusive brother, who is r
Rê
description

1 “Really?” Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Sky Pony Press!

First of all, I don’t rate books one star on a regular basis. I really don’t. I feel horrible every single time I do it, and since I don’t like making myself sad, I try not to do this often. But I had a bad feeling about this story from chapter one, and I wish I could say I’m surprised I ended up disliking it this much, but I am not.

Let me just quickly say I don’t feel qualified to talk about the representation of Autism in this book. I
Dafna
Mar 17, 2017 marked it as so-not-going-to-read
This book sounds awful and gross and I am mad. So mad.
chloe ❀
Umm... so. I was really excited to read this book, but it did not meet my expectations. I would love to visit Paris someday, and well, that's Keira's life wish, so I thought we would have a lot in common, but I was 100% wrong.

Keira is a self-absorbed, boy-crazy girl. She's pretty stupid too. She knows a little bit of French, and she keeps showing it off in front of everyone. And she wears a Marie Antoinette-inspired dress to prom. Haha, no wonder Jacques dumps her.

I don't think I'm qualified to
Tracie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Book: Maybe in Paris
Author: Rebecca Christiansen
Publisher: Sky Horse Publishing/Sky Pony Press
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publication Date: June 20, 2017
Image result for 1 stars
Image result for maybe in paris

Everyone, there were so many things I hated about this book.

First, I want to preface this review by saying that I do not have a lot of experience with people on the Autism Spectrum. Therefore, I will not be commenting on the author’s representation of Autism. I will also not be commenting on the representation of mental illness because e
bookspixscoffeefix
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-wishslist
AHH we have a cover!! It's gorgeous!
Liralen
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, ya, travel, fiction, reviewed
Conceptually...yes. I like that Keira is exploring Paris with her troubled younger brother. I like that we're seeing an autistic(?) main (though not POV) character, which is something that's underrepresented in YA fiction. But I'm left with a lot of questions, some practical and some broader.

Money: Keira's saved $6,000 towards a gap year in Europe, based in Paris. After her brother attempts suicide, Keira decides to take him with her. But it's never really clear how far she expects that money to
S.F. Henson
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that will stay with you long after you close the back cover. It's the story of Kiera, a teenager who is trying to process her brother, Levi's, recent suicide attempt and subsequent autism diagnosis. The author wrote it from her own experiences of living with an autistic brother, and I think it's an important angle to consider. Just as there are readers with autism who need stories where they are the main characters, there are readers who, like Kiera, are siblings, and ...more
Emma
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So cliche and there were way too many negative statements about mental illness and autism. Also, there was so much about this book that was unrealistic. Obviously, there's usually a suspension of disbelief when it comes to fiction, but there was too much in this book I couldn't excuse.
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I honestly don't have much to say about this book. To be completely real with you, I didn't even get all the way through it. I read about half of it and skimmed the rest. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I did not like this book.

Maybe in Paris was such a disappointment to me! I had such high hopes. The back sounds pretty good. However, within the first little bit of the book you find issue after issue... Not good.

Kiera is probably one of my least favorite book characters ever. She seems s
Kelly Gunderman
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

**Actual Rating: 2.5/5 Stars**

Maybe in Paris was the kind of book that had a really strong premise, and I expected a lot from it. As a book that features a character on the Autism spectrum, I really hoped for the best here, because there aren't enough books out there that accurately portray autism. My almost eight year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism when she was three, so I get it, I do. And this wa
Sumeet Bhamra
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend wrote a book and it was a very beautiful book! I'm still crying.
Brigitte
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Gross treatment and representation of mental illness.
Hannah Bettis
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
one of the worst books I've ever read. what a whiny main character!!
Carole Rae
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now I really, really want to go to France. I mean...that has always been a dream destination for me, but now I'm twitching because of how bad I want to go.

Anyways...

The story follows Keira is an American girl who is addicted to anything French. She loves the language, the food, the culture, the history, the art, and Marie Antoinette. She is a girl of my own heart in a lot of ways. She reminded me a lot of High School Carole. Well, Keira has had a plan to go to France with the hot French foreign
Neelam Babul
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued after reading the blurb for this book. The plot seemed very engaging and I am deeply interested in learning about Autism. I loved how the entire story wa centered on Keira whose younger brother Levi is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and how their family comes to terms with this diagnosis.The bond between a brother and sister is so special. I have an elder brother and I really love him. I could feel the love Keira has for her brother and I related to the brother sister re ...more
Nina Rossing
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, 2017
This was wonderful! Loved it!
The story has humor and depth, and the characters are utterly realistic and believable.
Wendy MacKnight
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
I loved this story about Keira, whose family life is strained by the mental health needs of her brother Levi. After a particularly harrowing incident, Keira decides to take Levi with her on her dream trip to Paris, both in hopes of repairing their relationship and of giving him an exciting experience. Paris is everything she'd hoped it would be, despite managing Levi's needs. They make local friends, and when she meets Gable, a Scottish musician, things really look up. But despite how things see ...more
Joanne
Jun 26, 2017 marked it as will-never-read
Note to self:

Will never read due to ableism. See Cait's review.
Leanne
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Keira’s younger brother Levi has tried to take his own life and which this leads to a new diagnoses of Autism or even the word schizophrenia was used as a possible diagnoses. Keira’s dream was to spend the summer in Paris with a boy but when that doesn’t work out and with the money she had worked hard to get still in her presence she decides that perhaps a trip would benefit Levi also. So despite her mothers constant disapproval she
Wendi Lee
*Copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for a honest review*

This novel was an exercise in anxiety. Oh. My.

Keira's younger brother, Levi, has tried to commit suicide. He's also been newly diagnosed as having Autism. All this happens just at the end of Keira's school year, during prom and then graduation. Keira and Levi have always been close, but to put it in Keira's own words:

When something feels good, I got at it full throttle. When something feels the slightest bit bad, I completely wipe it
Lisa Bentley
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Oh where do I begin with Maybe in Paris?

Ok, so my love of Paris and being a self confessed Francophile made me select this book. The thought of travelling to Paris and seeing the sights and falling in love with the city sounds like absolute heaven to me so understandably I liked the idea of this novel. And whilst I cannot say that Rebecca Christiansen writes in a bad way (because she doesn’t) I cannot say I enjoyed this book.

Pourquoi? I hear you scream.

Well it had such unlikable characters. Let’
Emily Ross
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe in Paris tackles the tough subject of what it’s like to have a sibling who is autistic and suicidal, with honesty, compassion, and humor. Keira loves her brother Levi but she also wants the things many teens want and need like love, adventure, and most of all the chance to become herself. It can be hard being the sibling ‘without issues’ and Christiansen beautifully captures the roller-coaster of emotions Keira goes through as she tries to balance her own hopes and desires against the real ...more
Kurt Stainton
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who has first hand experience with mental illness being clinically diagnosed with OCD. I feel that the author did very well capturing the guilt, and shame that often plays on our minds in her character Levi especially for being a debut author.

The pacing was a little different than what I am used to and the character Keira ground my gears in her naivety at times. Nevertheless reading Maybe in Paris still gave me that beautiful melancholy that you get when finishing a good book; where
Melissa McGuire
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The Book Addict (Bite-Sized Reviews)
T H O U G H T S:

never mind the instalove and ridiculous plot. if your autistic brother has survived a suicide attempt and months in the psych ward, how stupid do you have to be to think that he's "just quirky" and that traipsing around paris without adult supervision is a good idea? very. our protagonist's attitude toward mental health and disabilities is alarming, if not infuriating.

but what if keira's love for her brother overwhelms her ability or willingness to see how crippled he is by is d
Maddie Kizer
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved that this book was different than I expected. I thought it would be very romantic based, but I appreciated it was more focused on sibling relationship, autism, and family dynamics first, romance second. I loved the main character, Keira, and her ability to find wonder and awe in every aspect of Paris, and her struggle to make her brother Levi see the good in life. A cute and quick read!
Isabella
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful in any way.
I love to read books taking place in Paris. Reading this one was like reading my own thoughts. All the enthusiasm Keira has I can understand it all.
What I love about this book is that it combines a 'typical' teen story with some real life problems. It shows the struggle nd coping in day to day life.
I really love the idea the author had and I really love the book.
Caroline
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 2017-debuts
A sweet and moving story of a girl who has a simple dream - to visit Paris and to fall in love there - but whose life is anything but simple. This debut is a love letter to Paris, for sure, but more than that, it is also a wonderful tribute so the power of sibling love and commitment too.

• One Italian Summer
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • A Family in Paris: Stories of Food, Life and Adventure
  • Neverland
  • League of American Traitors
  • 500 Words or Less
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • Speak of Me as I Am
  • Eight Days on Planet Earth
  • Interlude (Love, Lucas, #3)
  • If Birds Fly Back
  • The Last Thing You Said
  • One Shadow on the Wall
  • Flight Risk
  • Ten After Closing
  • Wing Jones
  • The Shadows We Know by Heart
  • Night of the Living Cuddle Bunnies
Rebecca Christiansen tried to study creative writing at university, but kept skipping classes to write YA novels in the library, so she decided to pursue that instead. She loves boy bands and diet soda and suffers from incurable wanderlust. Rebecca lives with her boyfriend in a house packed full of books in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.