Start by marking “In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)” as Want to Read:
In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)

In the Clearing

(Tracy Crosswhite #3)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  35,890 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Detective Tracy Crosswhite has a skill, and a soft spot, for tackling unsolved crimes. Having lost her own sister to murder at a young age, Tracy has dedicated her career to bringing justice and closure to the families and friends of victims of crime.

So when Jenny, a former police academy classmate and protégé, asks Tracy to help solve a cold case that involves the

Published May 17th 2016 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about In the Clearing, please sign up.
Denita Harrison
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michele
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  35,890 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Start your review of In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
Linda
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A tragedy of Shakespearean proportions."

Detective Tracy Crosswhite is called upon to unravel the tangled complications of a 40 year old crime that sits in the dust pile of cold cases. Her friend, Jenny, an academy classmate, wants Tracy to bring to light the details of Jenny's detective father's case after his death. Tracy doesn't have much to go on here in Klickitat County, Washington.

A Native American high school girl, Kimi Kanasket, was found in the cold, raging river nearby in 1976. Kimi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm really liking Detective Tracy Crosswhite. Granted I have only read the first one and now the third one but I'm going to backtrack to the second one and go on from there as they come out.

In this book we are in the present and in the past in 1976. In the year of 1976 we are reading about deputy Buzz Almond trying to figure out what happened to Kimi Kanasket. In the current year of 2016 Tracy is asked by Buzz daughter Jenny, whom she knows from working together, to help with the cold case.
James Thane
Fresh off a very difficult case, Seattle homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite finds herself entangled in two new cases, one contemporary and the other a forty-year-old cold case. In the first instance, a man is found shot to death in the home he once shared with his wife from whom he is now separated. The wife and their teenage son are present in the home when officers first arrive. They claim that the husband/father was abusive, that he attacked his wife, and that she shot him in self-defense. ...more
Carol
The Hook - I feel privileged to have been granted access to Robert Dugoni’s fourth Tracy Crosswhite novel, The Trapped Girl. Wanting to read them in order, I was happy the third made its way back to our library.

The Line - ”You must be a magnet for murders”, her sergeant, Billy Williams said.

The Sinker -

”Seemed every time Tracy and her partner, Kinsington Rowe, were the homicide team on call, someone got killed.”

Another murder to solve, just another day in the homicide department. Of course,
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
For 40 years Kimi Kanakset's death was labelled suicide. But when her father dies, Jenny discovers amongst his possessions the original file on the case. A file classed in the system as having been destroyed.

Jenny asks her friend and police academy classmate Tracy Crosswhite for help as what she has read has perturbed her. After reading the file Tracy agrees and sets about uncovering a long buried truth.

This is my first Robert Dugoni. I found the plot interesting, but not gripping in an 'omg I
sue
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

Yes yes YES! I’ve finally got to this one.
Third book in the Tracy Crosswhite series which I’ve enjoyed.
This author has made an impression on me.
Loving this series so much I’ve bought them all for my shelf.

40 years ago we didn’t have the kind of technology we do today, hence Police and DI couldn’t work with what they do now.

So when something happens, it uncovers something from yesteryear. 40 years ago.

It was interesting to me to see this plot unfold. The chapters flew by.
I love this authors
Sue
IN THE CLEARING by Robert Dugoni is Book 3 in the Tracy Crosswhite detective series. Having already read book 1, My Sister’s Grave and book 2, Her Final Breath and really enjoying them, when I was approved on NetGalley for the 3rd book in the series, In The Clearing, I was very pleased.

In this third book of the Tracy Crosswhite series, Tracy is called in to Seattle to investigate a domestic incident, the shooting and murder of a man by his estranged wife. But was it really a situation of
Ginger
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5 stars!

Another wonderful book in the Tracy Crosswhite series! I love reading this series because I know the neighborhoods and businesses Robert Dugoni is writing about. It's like I’m riding shotgun while Tracy drives all around my city. I’ve come to realize that it’s enjoyable to read a book set in your city or state.

In the Clearing is the third book in the series and consists of two cases. A 1976 cold case over in Klickitat County, Washington of a Native American teenager who commits suicide
Brenda
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was flat out fantastic! I was riveted. Tracy Crosswhite is a great character, and I've liked her in all three books in the series. I like how she and Dan both understand the nature of their work vs. personal lives. I think Dan will figure more in future books.

One of the things that makes this book so good is the in depth forensics and investigation of a very cold case. The facts were well laid out, both in 1976 and current day. The case involved a young woman whose death was ruled a
Emma
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As in My Sister's Grave, Dugoni gives us yet another reason why it is deadly to grow up in small town America. Corruption, murder, racism, suicide, and more corruption. If the thriller/crime procedural genre is to be believed, these country towns are about as dangerous as Midsommer.

In any case, this series gets better and better. More intricately plotted than the first two (which I loved), this instalment escaped the 'it's all about Tracy' theme that I worried would take over the series.
Alex ♈
Outstanding!

Captivating suspense with incredible heroine!

Absolutely flove this series!
Clumsy Storyteller
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
an ARC kindly provided by the publisher Thomas & Mercer Via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Full review to come.
Adrienne
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-thriller
4.5. Superb, stunning and full of suspence - a thriller with a great Detective - Tracey Crosswhite.
Crosswhite investigates the 40 year old, purported, suicide of a Native American high school girl. A girl with a very bright future.
Intriguing book, full if false starts, strong ending with that makes wonderful sense if all the clues. But not what I expected.
Robert Dugoni is now a favourite author for me.
Unputdownable.
Kathleen
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seattle Police Detective Tracy Crosswhite tackles a cold case that is 40 years old. Native American Kimi Kanasket was a Stoneridge High senior on the path to college—possibly on an athletic scholarship—when she apparently committed suicide. The investigating officer at the time was suspicious, but his reservations were disregarded. Forty years later his daughter hands over her dad’s case file to Tracy. So the reader is treated to two investigations—the one that Buzz Almond originally conducted ...more
K.J. McGillick
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another home run

Suspense, mystery and so well written. What I love about the books is the procedural education and following all the clues to a satisfying ending
Richard
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The third in this series about a female homicide detective in Seattle. I have read these books in order and I can say they are all excellent novels and if anything, are getting better as Robert Dugoni becomes more at ease with his well-drawn characters.
There are cold cases which previous stories have shown Detective Tracy Crosswhite has a skill in re-visiting and there are others in cryogenic stasis. When her friend asks her to take a fresh look at the first investigation her Dad had in his
Monnie
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I read the author's first book in the series featuring detective Tracy Crosswhite - My Sister's Grave - I absolutely loved it and vowed to read the second (Her Final Breath). Alas, that one somehow got lost in my ever-growing list of to-read books, which I'm still hoping to rectify as soon as possible; so when I was offered the opportunity to read this one, the third in the series, I jumped on it (thank you to the author and publisher, via NetGalley, for providing me with a copy in exchange ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Detective Tracy Crosswhite is asked by Jenny, a former police academy classmate, to investigate a cold case that her father worked on forty years before. A young Native American high school girl was found in a river and it was ruled a suicide, but Jenny's father Buzz never believed it to be so. Tracy agrees to take on the case and it seems that Buzz was on to something and that there are people who want the truth to stay buried...

In the Clearing is the third and latest book in the Tracy
Linda Strong
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robert Dugoni brings back Tracy Crosswhite to help solve a case that has been cold for 40 years.

A former police academy classmate and friend, Jenny, reaches out to Tracy to help solve the possible murder of a Native American high school student. It was officially ruled as suicide. Jenny's dad was a new deputy when he investigated. When he passed away, Jenny found the file locked away in his desk. And she would like Tracy to take a look ... Jenny would like closure for her father ...and for the
L.A. Starks
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying the Seattle setting of this series, and Dugoni has drawn some sympathetic characters in the main story of the mysterious decades-old death of Kimi Kanasket.

The current-day subplot felt a little tacked-on, though it certainly has some twists of its own.

This is an interesting book and I recommend it to all who like Dugoni's books, Seattle/West Coast settings, or mysteries generally.
Jim
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am not sure why I waited so long to read this book after reading Her Final Breath. With each installment the series grows stronger. There are two different cases ongoing in this latest offering. The first follows Tracy as she investigates a cold case using her accumulated vacation days to investigate unofficially. Use it or lose it. The second case allows the members of her squad to take the spotlight and show that they have skills too.

Jenny Almond, a friend and former classmate from the
Chloe
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This is the third book in the Tracy Crosswhite series which is definitely a must read for all police procedural mystery lovers

Tracy's sister Sarah disappeared when she was a teen which haunted and shaped Tracy’s future. So when her friend Jenny asks her to investigate a 40 year cold case mysterious suicide of a teenager Tracy jumps right in. Meanwhile back in Seattle her team is investigating a domestic shooting where the mom and son have both confessed to killing the victim.

Robert Dugouni
Skip
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tracy Crosswhite and her Violent Crime Unit team are called to the scene where a wife has shot her husband in the back, after he hit her with a statue. The wife is a son of a notorious criminal defense attorney, and the team is puzzled by a 21-minute gap between the shooting and the 911 call. Then, the son comes in to confess he was the shooter. Meanwhile, most of Tracy's energy is devoted to reviewing a 40-year old cold case at the request of her academy friend, who is now Sheriff in a small ...more
Solseit
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The most predicable of the books yet - it is still a very good book, a good story. Yet, I found it less interesting than the first two books.
Let's hope book 4 will be back to the first books standards!
Matt
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Robert Dugoni, and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with this review.

Dugoni returns with the third novel in the Crosswhite series, taking a different spin from the previous series writing. While the team lands a homicide with a strong self-defence component, Detective Tracy Crosswhite finds herself lured to assist a friend who has been given a cold case by her late father. In the
Petra
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
40 years ago, the death of Kimi Kanasket, a Native American girl about to start college, was deemed a suicide. But her family and Deputy Sheriff Buzz Almond had doubts. When Buzz's daughter, Sheriff Jenny Almond, asks Tracy to look into this cold case with a fresh perspective, Tracy is reminded of her sister's disappearance and the pain of not knowing what happened that affected her family so deeply.
At the same time, Tracy's team back in Seattle deal with an investigation into the shooting of
Bea
3.5 stars, maybe 4.

Two cases, one present and active and one past and closed. The latter gets reopened by Crosswhite as a favor to a friend. Although that case was ruled a suicide, the friend's father, who worked on the case, was never satisfied with that resolution. At the same time that Crosswhite is working that case, she and her partner are working a present day case that appears simple at first but quickly gets complicated.

The two cases don't have much in common but it was fascinating
Amanda McGill
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgallery, 2016
Wow this is a great mystery series!

The 3rd novel in the Tracy Crosswhite series focuses on 2 murder cases. The first one is a cold case from 1976. Tracy's friend's father has recently died and was the sheriff of a small town. He couldn't solve a case from 1976 that involves a senior year girl who disappeared one night after work and was found in a river. The case was ruled a suicide and was closed. Tracy is looking into the case for her friend and believes the young girl didn't commit suicide.

Paromjit
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seattle based Detective Tracy Crosswhite is strong, passionate, and determined to discover the truth in her search for justice. Here, she works on two cases, a 40 year old cold case and one in the present day. In the present, a murdered man, has the wife and son confess to the killing. However, the forensics do not tally. The cold case relates to the suicide of a young Native American girl, the sheriff was less than happy with the suicide ruling and continued to work the case until his death. ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Robert Dugoni returns following (2015) Her Final Breath, with the third riveting installment of Tracy Crosswhite, IN THE CLEARING a cold case of 40 years with some dark secrets of the past.

Set in Seattle, Washington Detective Tracy Crosswhite, finds herself in another adventure—from 1976 to 2016. Klickitat County Sheriff Jenny Almond (friend from the academy), asks Tracy to take a look at a
South Atlantic Land Clearing 1 5 Aug 18, 2018 06:19AM

• Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Zombie Room
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
  • The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #1)
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Watchers
  • House of Spies (Gabriel Allon #17)
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick, #1)
  • In Farleigh Field
  • Say You're Sorry (Morgan Dane, #1)
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
  • The Wrong End of the Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir of a Muslim Arab American Woman Just Trying to Fit in
  • The Dark Bones (A Dark Lure, #2)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times, #1 Amazon, and #1 Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author of the Tracy Crosswhite series: My Sister's Grave, Her Last Breath, In the Clearing, The Trapped Girl and Close to Home, A Steep Price and A Cold Trail as well as the short prequels The Academy and Third Watch. The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in ...more

Tracy Crosswhite (7 books)
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1)
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
  • A Steep Price (Tracy Crosswhite, #6)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
“It’s a terrible thing when a child is stripped of his perception that his parents are perfect. Kids want to believe their parents will always be there to take care of them. One of the hardest things about getting older is losing that naïveté that allows us all to believe in myths and fantasies, having it replaced by harsh reality. We don’t want to believe our parents aren’t perfect, some far from it.” 2 likes
“I thought you should know that after you left I had another visitor.” “A Stoneridge Police officer?” 2 likes