Start by marking “Hidden Youth: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History” as Want to Read:
Hidden Youth: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History

Hidden Youth: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The sequel to the World Fantasy and Locus Award-nominated anthology Long Hidden, Hidden Youth focuses on children: underage protagonists marginalized in their time. 22 excellent stories ranging across nearly 2,400 years and spanning the globe, Hidden Youth reveals the stories of young people whose lives have been pushed to the margins of history.
Published November 21st 2016 by Crossed Genres

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Youth

Brewergnome
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable anthology of stories about marginalized kids. Would have liked more than a single story about a disabled kid, especially with the cool image on the front of the book with a kid with running blades but... good stories.
Morgan Dhu
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Hidden Youth: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, edited by Mikki Kendall and Chesya Burke, is a companion volume to the Rose Fox edited Long Hidden, also published by Crossed Genres, the sadly defunct publishing house that, in its short life, nurtured some remarkable authors and released some important volumes of speculative fiction.

The focus of this anthology is marginalised youth - narratives of children and adolescents from many settings and time periods who share the experienc
Sara Norja
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
For me, this was a more uneven collection than its predecessor Long Hidden. But Hidden Youth also included many lovely stories! My favourites were:

A Name to Ashes, by Jaymee Goh (Cuba, 1874)
Feet of Clay, by A.J. Odasso (Byzantium, 1st century)
How I Saved Athens from the Stone Monsters, by Erik Jensen (Athens, Greece, 415 BCE)
Nelly, by Kate McCane (Edmonton, Canada, 1909)
Purple Wings, by Nitra Wisdom (Georgia, USA, 1934)
The Promised Land, by J.S. Hawthorne (Scotland, 1836)
The Mouser of Peter the
Rebecca
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have loved this more if it had been a bit tighter edited. There was a surprising number of typographical errors, and some very odd sentences that final proof readers (if any) missed. Things like, "despite the heat the women wore gloves up to their elbows despite the heat". The stories are good, there were ones I loved and ones I didn't, like any anthology.

Overall I'd recommend it if you have patience for bad proof reading.
Daphne
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readathon17
#readathon17 Ένα βιβλίο διηγημάτων

I love these anthologies by Crossed Genres because I get to read the work of authors I wouldn't otherwise discover and the stories blend historical aspects with fantasy elements, which often work extremely well. Since it's an anthology, Hidden Youth is a bit uneven in the quality of the stories, some of them are great, some are good, some just plain ok. But overall it works very well and the stories have a nice variety to them, proving the great work the editors
Rebecca
A very mixed bag. Nothing terrible, but many of the stories are fairly forgettable or underwhelming. A few gems really shine, though.
Thom Dunn
Jan 21, 2017
Kerri
Nov 15, 2016
Imani Josey
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jared Pechacek
Dec 06, 2016
Anna
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology offers a fantastic variety of stories, with settings ranging from Scotland to Korea to the American Civil War. Including some authors' debut works, the collection showcases a diverse range of talents and voices, with characters equally diverse.
Trina Short
Nikki
Blanca
Dec 31, 2016
Warren Bull
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jaymee Goh
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Alexia
Haydee
Sep 21, 2017
Flannery
Aug 11, 2017
“I threw myself at his feet, weeping, and told him of the ghosts I saw, the thousands upon thousands fading in the wind, souls trapped in sugarcane trees and sweet grains transported across the world. I tallied them against the souls of the living, trapped by the laws of men which enmesh them further, and the helplessness of the Emperor's reach. I doubted I could have brought my brother home alive, and the spirits I had to leave behind weighed heavy on my conscience.” 0 likes